I'm determined to get my diabetes back on track

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's all of them, since I've been on insulin for the past 6 or 7 years now. All I've been on is a fixed dosage of insulin and nothing else.

I've only ever been on Novorapid and Tresiba, I got put on Victoza 3 years ago though. Now they're thinking of scrapping the Victoza for a once weekly injection.
So you are under the care of a consultant after all? I was under the impression that you only had appointments for the DN and GP at your surgery.

Last edited:

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope your feeling better akindrat 18. I see your struggles to improve your health and find what works for you so keep at it. You will get realy good advice from people here. I hope 2022 is the start of better things :)

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So you are under the care of a consultant after all? I was under the impression that you only had appointments for the DN and GP at your surgery.

I'm under the care from a endocrinologist at the hospital.

Also, I had my appointment with the dietitian and she has advised me to consider that I should be focusing more on my calorie intake, rather than just my carb intake. She pointed out that choosing low carb is no good for me in the long term as it is restrictive and could trigger ketosis which could be harmful.

I've been suggested to eat a reduced calorie diet, keep an eye on my cholesterol levels and to include a variety of foods in my diet.

Reactions: wendy22

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Also, I had my appointment with the dietitian and she has advised me to consider that I should be focusing more on my calorie intake, rather than just my carb intake. She pointed out that choosing low carb is no good for me in the long term as it is restrictive and could trigger ketosis which could be harmful.

I've been suggested to eat a reduced calorie diet, keep an eye on my cholesterol levels and to include a variety of foods in my diet.
As you are under the care of an endocrinologist I will leave the thread now as they are the experts in diabetes care and I wouldn't want to contradict them.

I am not sure what your dietician means about low carb v low cal. Low cal is far more restrictive than low carb. I know as I have followed both in the past.

Good luck in the future.

Rach612

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Are they experts in diabetes care though with keeping such high carb foods. Isn’t that not going to make him sicker? I’m not meaning to be rude at all or contradict anyone but just my personal thought. I hope you feel better soon akindrat 18.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are they experts in diabetes care though with keeping such high carb foods. Isn’t that not going to make him sicker? I’m not meaning to be rude at all or contradict anyone but just my personal thought. I hope you feel better soon akindrat 18.
insulin and hypo risk meds make a difference when thinking about carb levels for type 2 diabetics.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

So are you going to follow the advice from the dietitian? If so, the chippy teas and takeaways will need to go. You cannot do low calorie dieting on chippy food.
Whichever route you choose you need to persevere. There is no doubt you also need to be able to understand how to match your insulin needs to your carb intake. I do not have the knowledge to offer advice or opinion regarding your insulin, but really do hope you can get this sorted as soon as possible, because I worry that you will do irreversible damage. You have been seeking support here for as long as I can remember. I think you have the knowledge, but need the will to succeed.
Take care, and responsibility. Keep requesting the help you need from your diabetes team, especially the endcrinologist.
Edit for typo

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, I had my appointment with the dietitian and she has advised me to consider that I should be focusing more on my calorie intake, rather than just my carb intake.
Did she advise this from a weight loss point of view, or in light of your diabetes and insulin?
If you want to be able to adjust your insulin to your food you'll need to know how many carbs are in your food, nothing to do with weight loss but everything with getting your blood sugar more stable.

Please contact your hospital DSN (not the GP nurse!) to let her know you need more guidance on insulin dosing, just like the T1's get!

Reactions: EllieM

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
I'm in a similar position. Diagnosed 6 years ago, Hba1c of 62, went low carb and got it down to 39. Wore the freestyle libre a lot which really helped.
But the last 2 years I've got complacent. Lots of diet coke, artificially sweetened cakes, fish in batter. Put a libre on for the first time in 18 months and it looks like I'm back to around an Hba1c of 60. Need to up my game!! And get motivated again

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

From my understanding you have a low non-D A1c & have wiggle room to gain needed weight eating a nutritional balanced diet.
Our friend's topic is a focus on BG management using exogenous insulin.

Hope this clarifies.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Becca23

I have found keeping my control very difficult, especially over the last 6/7 years after coming out of a very controlling relationship and then suffering very badly with depression and anxiety.
I still have days where I just don't care and I know that all I'm doing is causing further issues.
I had a massive wake up call last week after discovery I have a neuropathic ulcer on my foot and burst blood vessel in my left eye that is bleeding dangerously close to my retiner.....all my own doing....all very worrying but I just have to try not to let myself get low or the spiral starts all over again