Back on the horse...

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK, so my recent low mood and struggles were down to more than my diabetes. Have just spent nearly a fortnight in hospital with sepsis and a massive kidney infection (may lose a kidney in time as it was so damaged by infection, but that remains to be seen at the moment).

Have been discharged now to continue recovering at home, but have spent a fortnight on carb heavy hospital food, and have really got a taste for it again! My bloods weren't actually too bad in hospital, but I need to start bringing the carbs down again, and know to do it slowly, but can't afford to lose any more weight at the moment.

Does anyone have any tips for maintaining weight while reducing carbs (I had lost over 4.5 stone since September and more since being ill, and that's plenty for now while I'm recovering).

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OK, so my recent low mood and struggles were down to more than my diabetes. Have just spent nearly a fortnight in hospital with sepsis and a massive kidney infection (may lose a kidney in time as it was so damaged by infection, but that remains to be seen at the moment).

Have been discharged now to continue recovering at home, but have spent a fortnight on carb heavy hospital food, and have really got a taste for it again! My bloods weren't actually too bad in hospital, but I need to start bringing the carbs down again, and know to do it slowly, but can't afford to lose any more weight at the moment.

Does anyone have any tips for maintaining weight while reducing carbs (I had lost over 4.5 stone since September and more since being ill, and that's plenty for now while I'm recovering).

So sorry to hear all that. Hugs, prayers and massive best wishes for you. I/we look forward to reading of your amazing bounce back. I would advise you to talk to a medical professional before you decide how to proceed. There is plenty of literature suggesting protein levels for people with kidney problems need to be well managed.

Last edited:
Reactions: KateS14

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@KateS14 Just to emphasise, much eat more Protein and more fat than you used to eat.
A low carb way of eating requires more calories in order to keep your weight constant than does a higher carb one. This is because all calories are not equal. Calories from protein take much more energy to digest and extract than do calories from carbohydrates, so you probably need to eat more of it than you think - certainly more than just to maintain your body, because you actually want to be 'wasting protein' as energy rather than just using it to maintain your body.

simo_M

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Double cream, mascarpone, nuts, assorted other cheeses. Check first if you need to moderate your protein intake, as that will influence your fat / protein mix.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with everyone in upping your fats but check first with your medical team about protein as you say you have kidney damage and it may be that you have to take care with protein, hope your feeling better soon sounds like you’ve been through it

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your replies (and sorry for the delay in responding). I had no idea that kidney problems might mean I have to be more careful with protein - no-one at the hospital had mentioned it so far, but then the immediate problem has been getting rid of the infection and working out what damage has been done by that and whether the kidney is salvageable. I'll ask them about it at my next outpatient appointment next week.

Reactions: Moggy1968

AngelSix60008

Years back I was given a toxic level of a medicine for 6 months by an incompetent idiot doctor. I switched doctors spent a year in therapy to learn how to get my life back but like you I had kidney damage amount other issues . A year later the kidneys were okay as was the muscle damage. Only the heart damage wasn't completely healed. If you do therapy like it's your religion you can bounce back. Take care and keep strong.

KateS14

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Years back I was given a toxic level of a medicine for 6 months by an incompetent idiot doctor. I switched doctors spent a year in therapy to learn how to get my life back but like you I had kidney damage amount other issues . A year later the kidneys were okay as was the muscle damage. Only the heart damage wasn't completely healed. If you do therapy like it's your religion you can bounce back. Take care and keep strong.

Thanks @AngelSix60008

It's encouraging to hear that you have recovered kidney problems. It's all very new to me at the moment and I'm learning quickly but still a long way to go!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
There are myths about protein and kidney disease, despite many protein overfeeding studies. The works of Stu Philips and Donald Layman and his protege Gabriel Lyon are worth a look at on youtube (especially as you exercise), and Ted Naiman. I respect their views as they refer to the published literature and have practical results with clients and patients compared to those on the other protocol who show nothing, yet spread the myths.

In my case the hypothesis that higher protein is damaging is bunk:
upload_2022-3-19_13-36-48.png

After on at least 100% more protein (pictures over the last several years to prove):
upload_2022-3-19_13-34-31.png

This was my packed dinner I had at a clients yesterday:
upload_2022-3-19_13-50-40.png

This is super high protein, quality fat and as a nod to your other thread post my version of healthy carbs (berries, roasted seasoned nuts with melted 100% dark chocolate). My packed breakfast was the same meats and fish with 2 eggs and nutty chocolate. Hopped off the train at Colchester, gym for 30 mins. FBG this morning 4.4 (which is medium for me, as I didn't get to do my walks).

AngelSix60008

There are myths about protein and kidney disease, despite many protein overfeeding studies. The works of Stu Philips and Donald Layman and his protege Gabriel Lyon are worth a look at on youtube (especially as you exercise), and Ted Naiman. I respect their views as they refer to the published literature and have practical results with clients and patients compared to those on the other protocol who show nothing, yet spread the myths.

In my case the hypothesis that higher protein is damaging is bunk:
View attachment 53859

After on at least 100% more protein (pictures over the last several years to prove):
View attachment 53858

This was my packed dinner I had at a clients yesterday:
View attachment 53860

This is super high protein, quality fat and as a nod to your other thread post my version of healthy carbs (berries, roasted seasoned nuts with melted 100% dark chocolate). My packed breakfast was the same meats and fish with 2 eggs and nutty chocolate. Hopped off the train at Colchester, gym for 30 mins. FBG this morning 4.4 (which is medium for me, as I didn't get to do my walks).
I can't seemed to be able to eat fruit. It keeps kicking me too high. How did you manage that? Did you eat all that meat?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I can't seemed to be able to eat fruit. It keeps kicking me too high. How did you manage that? Did you eat all that meat?

We all have different tolerances, but there is a distinction between berries and fruits per-se. I have gone all in on Dr Gabriel Lyon calls Muscle Centric Medicine. The science is that the more muscle you have the greater the glucose sync, as muscles can independently soak up glucose without the need for insulin via the GLUT4 receptor. So I focus on resistance exercise, with cardio coming from high intensity weight training, karate and walking.

Yes, I ate all of the meat, sits well in the stomach and had similar for breakfast, no snacks, just the 2 meals a day.

boggle

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
High protein probably does not harm a healthy kidney, I think it could be potentially harmful to damaged kidneys though.