What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg 6.7

I was thinking of getting a food dehydrator.
I did have one in the late 1970's, but it was so inefficient I went back to hanging stuff by string or in brown paper bags to dehydrate naturally.
However, some 30 odd years later they seem to have improved since then. So, I have been researching, and especially with doing this new raised bed vegetable garden in the passage by the kitchen, I thought it might be useful.
But...
When I went out to check how it was doing yesterday afternoon (I have only got as far as the containers, some on plastic garden chairs, some stacked, and prepared with soil in), I discovered that Foxy Loxy had discovered the containers with soil and worms in it, and had demolished some of them. This is despite me putting a high fence either end. I am not sure how that darned fox got in. So I had to repair it as best as possible, strengthen the perimeter, used chicken wire on the ground all bunched up (repurposed from me keeping the badger out, because the Fort Knox Fence neighbour has stopped the badger coming in along one stretch) hoping that Foxy would not like walking on chicken wire. Chilli flakes were used, and garlic powder.
Foxy did not go round that section last night. So, I will give it a few days, then try planting my seedlings.
Then maybe I can think about a dehydrator. I know I have the dog bark driveway alarm at the end of the garden, but I am not sure about putting it actually by the kitchen door right next to Mr Xmas lights neighbour from hell's bedroom (less than 5 metres away)...

gennepher's cat diner - Shadow had first dibs, then the sparrows came along to partake of the cat food once Shadow has gone. Ginger was next and tucking into breakfast, when along came Mr Magpie, who came down to the ground next to Ginger, and helped himself to some cat biscuits while Ginger was feeding off the wet food, I was expecting murder, but Ginger ignored Mr Magpie and kept eating the wet food. And I was literally shocked how large that Mr Magpie was. He is massive. Mr Magpie got a beak full of food, presumably for his missus on the nest, and flew away. Ginger carried on eating his bowl full.

Creative is an ink painting, postcard sized. And put into Snapseed for name and frame...

Coffee next...

D07553FE-2CC2-40E5-AACB-8F5614608CFF.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings everyone on a day with so many titles and backstories. Sunday next before Easter in BCP, Palm Sunday more commonly; @jjraak's birthday; Massive Match Sunday - and its live:D; Sunday next before JKP's birthday. Exhausting fitting all that into one day as well as eating (some of) a magnificent looking piece of 20% off beef. Yesterday delivered so much that was superbly targeted at me - almost as though a loving, personal God was behind it:angelic: Enjoy today (safely) everyone and @jjraak I think this is highly pertinent to you but YMMV.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-10 08.14.18.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-10 08.14.18.png
    945.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from another basking in a tropical paradise start here in the dark and dangerous north. Don’t spoil the illusion by stepping into the shadows. Farmers market didn’t disappoint yesterday, contrast to Sainsbury - our local is quite small - not corner shop size but not what you would imagine as a full blown thing. It’s the available space and it also needs to be disguised to slot into the rose tinted image of an old Victorian seaside destination so no obvious carbuncle. Mrs Miggins has already departed to pick up the ninky nonks and Little Miss Pamplemouse from the half way stage twixt here and Brum. Family gathering this afternoon to ‘name that child’. I suggested they call her ‘Nan’ - something to grow into.
Art bit - a couple of trees and a boat. Have the most wonderful Sunday that you can. Avoid creamy cakes, hurricanes and remember, Charlemagne quotes in films like Indiana Jones are probably made up by script writers - some who may have been dead for a thousand years. Koffy, where’s my koffy.

upload_2022-4-10_8-11-1.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to our two resident artists @dunelm and @gennepher. @dunelm do I detect a Christening in your clan? Hope all goes splendidly (nice little quip on the name). @gennepher I hope the anti fox precautions work even if that means more expense for a dehydrator.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunelm

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, an inspiration, but being not an advocate of low carb, we must find out what works for us and us alone.
Yes, that is so true. We absolutely need to know what works for us. I have to have loads and loads of fibre or low carb is a total disaster for me, but other people can manage low carb without adding bucket loads of fibre. It's the same with fat, especially cream. Too much seems to mess up my blood sugars. Yet others can consume fat with abandon.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi

Languishing on the FBG front
Apologies :bag:

Recent trip to docs ( described previously, not inspiring but am reprogramming many of my expectations )

This week's a little more upbeat

Leg physio.
Jarred leg on a walk :banghead: ( more a shuffle but you get the picture)
Sharp pain under knee when walking .:arghh:

Been quite painful, made the phsyio appointment a lot less useful in many ways

However, on the plus side, that left more time for a 1-2-1
Explained previous week's disappointment :sorry:
Shot the breeze honestly.
Bared a little more then I expected.
cleared away a few misconceptions both sides

Agreed I suited a more regimented approach
Now have an app, where I input my reps etc and physio can read data on same day.

Upshot is.
Less can be more.
& "I'm doing really well
Progress is at or slightly ahead of where I was expected to be"

And now i have a new plan & regime until the next meet.

Telling me what I wanted to hear ?
Maybe

Telling what I needed to hear ?
Most definitely.:happy:

It feels a lonely journey, but days & moments like that where common humanity shows itself in the simplest of ways, .touched me.

Road hadn't got any shorter, but it feels better signposted.

Otherwise been a few days laid up, pain easing
Not the best of birthdays.if I'm honest :rolleyes:

But checking my sock draw, I'm happy they still get used in pairs,...so no complaints.:)
Happy birthday @jjraak . Great that the road is better signposted and that you are making progress.

Reactions: dunelm

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from another basking in a tropical paradise start here in the dark and dangerous north. Don’t spoil the illusion by stepping into the shadows. Farmers market didn’t disappoint yesterday, contrast to Sainsbury - our local is quite small - not corner shop size but not what you would imagine as a full blown thing. It’s the available space and it also needs to be disguised to slot into the rose tinted image of an old Victorian seaside destination so no obvious carbuncle. Mrs Miggins has already departed to pick up the ninky nonks and Little Miss Pamplemouse from the half way stage twixt here and Brum. Family gathering this afternoon to ‘name that child’. I suggested they call her ‘Nan’ - something to grow into.
Art bit - a couple of trees and a boat. Have the most wonderful Sunday that you can. Avoid creamy cakes, hurricanes and remember, Charlemagne quotes in films like Indiana Jones are probably made up by script writers - some who may have been dead for a thousand years. Koffy, where’s my koffy.

View attachment 54109
Have a good day today @dunelm

Landscape art bit great with the cherry blossom trees and tiny boat.

Enjoy that coffee...

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning. Looking forward to our trip to Gooderstone Water Gardens non this lovely sunny morning. Still a bit chilly though.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
5.1 this morning. Looking forward to our trip to Gooderstone Water Gardens non this lovely sunny morning. Still a bit chilly though.
Have a wonderful walk then maybe find some good coffee and a suitable (high end) sausage roll. I need to apologise for my badly worded post yesterday which may have been seen to imply you weren't totally sincere in finding some previously loved foods too sweet now. Tastes do change - not enough for me to ever be able to eat Montezumas or DGF - as I find with bacon being far too salty now. I'm with you all the way regarding fibre. Am I forgiven?

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good late Morening Ladies and Gentlemen.
A 5.8 this morning.
Stay safe all.

Reactions: ianpspurs

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.7

I was thinking of getting a food dehydrator.
I did have one in the late 1970's, but it was so inefficient I went back to hanging stuff by string or in brown paper bags to dehydrate naturally.
However, some 30 odd years later they seem to have improved since then. So, I have been researching, and especially with doing this new raised bed vegetable garden in the passage by the kitchen, I thought it might be useful.
But...
When I went out to check how it was doing yesterday afternoon (I have only got as far as the containers, some on plastic garden chairs, some stacked, and prepared with soil in), I discovered that Foxy Loxy had discovered the containers with soil and worms in it, and had demolished some of them. This is despite me putting a high fence either end. I am not sure how that darned fox got in. So I had to repair it as best as possible, strengthen the perimeter, used chicken wire on the ground all bunched up (repurposed from me keeping the badger out, because the Fort Knox Fence neighbour has stopped the badger coming in along one stretch) hoping that Foxy would not like walking on chicken wire. Chilli flakes were used, and garlic powder.
Foxy did not go round that section last night. So, I will give it a few days, then try planting my seedlings.
Then maybe I can think about a dehydrator. I know I have the dog bark driveway alarm at the end of the garden, but I am not sure about putting it actually by the kitchen door right next to Mr Xmas lights neighbour from hell's bedroom (less than 5 metres away)...

gennepher's cat diner - Shadow had first dibs, then the sparrows came along to partake of the cat food once Shadow has gone. Ginger was next and tucking into breakfast, when along came Mr Magpie, who came down to the ground next to Ginger, and helped himself to some cat biscuits while Ginger was feeding off the wet food, I was expecting murder, but Ginger ignored Mr Magpie and kept eating the wet food. And I was literally shocked how large that Mr Magpie was. He is massive. Mr Magpie got a beak full of food, presumably for his missus on the nest, and flew away. Ginger carried on eating his bowl full.

Creative is an ink painting, postcard sized. And put into Snapseed for name and frame...

Coffee next...

View attachment 54108
Ah, a dehydrator - we have that function in our Ninja Oven but have yet to try it out. I am assured that it works fine. Smashing piece of art again. Beautiful colours. I get an image of a very large bird with a red head and a bird shaped eye - must go to Barnard Castle for an eye test.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks to our two resident artists @dunelm and @gennepher. @dunelm do I detect a Christening in your clan? Hope all goes splendidly (nice little quip on the name). @gennepher I hope the anti fox precautions work even if that means more expense for a dehydrator.
There is a Christening and of course, in a wee while I expect that we will be subjected to cucumber sandwiches, vol au Vons, chicken legs and quiche.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, a dehydrator - we have that function in our Ninja Oven but have yet to try it out. I am assured that it works fine. Smashing piece of art again. Beautiful colours. I get an image of a very large bird with a red head and a bird shaped eye - must go to Barnard Castle for an eye test.
Barnard Castle will never be forgotten....
Thanks @dunelm

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a wonderful walk then maybe find some good coffee and a suitable (high end) sausage roll. I need to apologise for my badly worded post yesterday which may have been seen to imply you weren't totally sincere in finding some previously loved foods too sweet now. Tastes do change - not enough for me to ever be able to eat Montezumas or DGF - as I find with bacon being far too salty now. I'm with you all the way regarding fibre. Am I forgiven?
There is absolutely nothing to apologise about @ianpspurs.

Actually I do wonder if, although I was definitely addicted to sweet stuff, deep down I actually didn't like it. Could that be possible? It sounds a bit mad doesn't it.

I remember that when we were first married we had friends over for the evening and everyone really looked forward to a Chinese takeaway which for me was far too sweet. I hated it and couldn't understand how everyone else loved a Chinese takeaway.. Potatoes, pasta and rice were so bland but I ate them once again, because everyone else did.

Once I had recovered from the sugar addiction by using the horrors of the Panorama programme - maybe I actually found a way of eating that I actually love and I do really love this way of eating.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There is absolutely nothing to apologise about @ianpspurs.

Actually I do wonder if, although I was definitely addicted to sweet stuff, deep down I actually didn't like it. Could that be possible? It sounds a bit mad doesn't it.

I remember that when we were first married we had friends over for the evening and everyone really looked forward to a Chinese takeaway which for me was far too sweet. I hated it and couldn't understand how everyone else loved a Chinese takeaway.. Potatoes, pasta and rice were so bland but I ate them once again, because everyone else did.

Once I had recovered from the sugar addiction by using the horrors of the Panorama programme - maybe I actually found a way of eating that I actually love and I do really love this way of eating.
Thank you. You have clearly found the right way of eating for you and what's more it works like a charm.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
An alcohol inflicted (from last night - great night out btw) 5.2 this morning - yay! I'll take it :happy:

Enjoy what is left of your weekend peeps :)