What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher my reaction to the painting - the kaleidoscope is fine - is probably a combination of factors. The yellow sky makes me think of some kind of chemical attack. The fruit growers of the Old Country would spray some noxious, foul smelling yellow stuff on their trees about now. Sensible folk stayed indoors with all windows etc firmly shut but the smell and some residue hung around for hours. I basically associate any large areas of water with danger and death and have very negative feelings around large black birds in art. Perversely, I used to love the autumn noise made by crows/rooks. The combination of the black and that shade of blue running through that painting (JKP had a dress like that and I hated it with a passion) combined with the above evoked in me feelings of what WW1 gas attacks may have looked like. I'm just odd but that combination just gave me the heebbie-jeebbies. Not remotely your fault and please continue to post whatever moves you I'll deal with my reaction.
I get you @ianpspurs
I have a friend who doesn't like my paintings with yellow in, and she almost throws up when she sees my lime greens. The lime greens I absolutely adore, but not every one does. I think my lime greens are mystical, fairy like. But my friend cannot bear to even look at them.

I do remember the fruit sprayers of yore, I used to live in Kent. And anything coming from a low flying plane that doesn't look right sends me for immediate cover indoors...I do recall being sprayed by DDT as a small child in the public outdoor baths swimming pool by men in white coveralls and something over their head/face, again this was in Kent.

No, you are not odd. I get all that you say.
I am glad you told me all this.
Things evoke something in us, and we don't always know why, we don't have an explanation.

But these paintings are postcard sized so I can use them for postcrossing, my postcards to be sent abroad. I don't paint to please others. But I might have to rethink on this. Someone told me recently that my ones with blazing orange in them evoked memories of their bush fires in Os and the States. And here was me thinking they were beautiful sunrises or sunsets :( So, that is not good. I do not want to send my painting postcards if it might upset someone.

Thank you for your respond. I appreciate you being honest about this.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings all from a sunny but chilly Breckland. No Swipey no test here - Bob Marley's first attempt. @dunelm such a dilemma over #poshmarketgate, these first world problems are very important. They do tend to trip poor old Rishy up somewhat, bless. I fear you'll be bitterly disappointed if looking for meat based crisps in Sainsburys. M and S/ Ocado seem to be the place but YMMV. Thank you for today's art and be kind to Mrs Miggins in sympathy for her ancestor. @gennepher thank you for two creatives today. I liked the kaleidoscope better - found it less "threatening." When you are in M and S their rollitos are also a thing of beauty. I prefer these but there are a few choices. How do cats make a swing move - anyone have an answer? @Jojo85 enjoy the time with your nieces. Fridges and cupboards stocked with carby goodies is a very familiar scenario and I've never really believed those who claim they lose the taste/sense of pleasure from any off-piste activity. Yesterday I ate one of these - I calculated 8 gms carb - divine darling, divine. Also very hard to stop a toddler sharing a treat with granddad - not sure the odd sucked/partly melted malteser, white chocolate button etc will give me complications. On the other hand rejecting their gift would lodge deep in their psyche, IMHO. Kudos for your discipline whilst recognising the girls can handle and enjoy carbs. Posh frying pan to collect from Wai..... in Newmarket today, JKP is excited - lyrics. Stay safe, don't bet the farm on the big race but do eat yer greens and "moove abart a bitt" © Mr H Redknapp Esq King of the Jungle and Jam Roly-poly connoisseur. (Sanitised version)
Thank you @ianpspurs but not a pack of meat based crisps in sight - maybe only from Ocado - sigh! however I did get a pack of freeze dried beef bone broth from these guys in the market - https://www.drgusnutrition.co.uk/pages/bone-broth-products-1 - Saves me making it if it pans out.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get you @ianpspurs
I have a friend who doesn't like my paintings with yellow in, and she almost throws up when she sees my lime greens. The lime greens I absolutely adore, but not every one does. I think my lime greens are mystical, fairy like. But my friend cannot bear to even look at them.

I do remember the fruit sprayers of yore, I used to live in Kent. And anything coming from a low flying plane that doesn't look right sends me for immediate cover indoors...I do recall being sprayed by DDT as a small child in the public outdoor baths swimming pool by men in white coveralls and something over their head/face, again this was in Kent.

No, you are not odd. I get all that you say.
I am glad you told me all this.
Things evoke something in us, and we don't always know why, we don't have an explanation.

But these paintings are postcard sized so I can use them for postcrossing, my postcards to be sent abroad. I don't paint to please others. But I might have to rethink on this. Someone told me recently that my ones with blazing orange in them evoked memories of their bush fires in Os and the States. And here was me thinking they were beautiful sunrises or sunsets :( So, that is not good. I do not want to send my painting postcards if it might upset someone.

Thank you for your respond. I appreciate you being honest about this.
You must paint what you feel. You are sensitive enough not to send images you know to be hurtful to others and no one said we must all be shielded from harsh reality.

Reactions: jjraak and dunelm

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.
Bloods this morning were a head scratching 4.6, enough to make you ponder the meaning of life, calculations carried out, mice consulted and me, me’s and myself received an answer of 42, 4 pints of beer and a packet of crisps. I ignored the reference to a book on book on Vogon poetry. No I’m not reading the hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy either.
All this talk of crisps and paintings made me think of personal preferences, most things in this world, other dimensions and realities are subjective.
Hopefully attached for @gennepher is a picture of some wheels I made a few years ago for a florist friend of mine who wanted a display trolley making for her shop, a woodworking friend of mine made the box he is known as Dave the fence, but I had to make the wheels, in the background is the prototype wheel and the final wheels are in the foreground.
Stay safe all.
88D7ED7A-2E3E-4716-809D-D58EC59AA24C.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bloods this morning were a head scratching 4.6, enough to make you ponder the meaning of life, calculations carried out, mice consulted and me, me’s and myself received an answer of 42, 4 pints of beer and a packet of crisps. I ignored the reference to a book on book on Vogon poetry. No I’m not reading the hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy either.
All this talk of crisps and paintings made me think of personal preferences, most things in this world, other dimensions and realities are subjective.
Hopefully attached for @gennepher is a picture of some wheels I made a few years ago for a florist friend of mine who wanted a display trolley making for her shop, a woodworking friend of mine made the box he is known as Dave the fence, but I had to make the wheels, in the background is the prototype wheel and the final wheels are in the foreground.
Stay safe all.
View attachment 54094
Thank you!
Always a mug of tea/coffee in your photos @alf_Josiah
:happy:
That was a good woodworking project between the two of you to display her flowers on.

t69150.gif

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh calamity. Collected the frying pan from Wait...., Newmarket but the poor dears have been forced into offering 20% off meat, fish and cheese. Being a kindly soul JKP felt obliged to help them through such tough times - why else would they feel the need to reduce keto food? #feelingvirtuous #ifIcanhelpsomeonealongtheway.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak and dunelm

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never really believed those who claim they lose the taste/sense of pleasure from any off-piste activity
I think that I brainwashed myself after watching the Panorama programme about amputations and T2D. Even now recalling the programme makes me shudder. My right foot had neuropathy and was moving to high risk.

I had a mantra I used over and over again when faced with a sweet treat - 'what do I want to do - eat the treat or keep my feet'.

I had remembered that Mary Quant had done something similar in the 1960s and it had worked for her - although of course she had used it to stay slim and not to save her feet.

Although the brainwashing was very effective I do think that by not eating the sweet stuff for years has changed my perception of sweetness. I made a coffee for a friend who has 1 teaspoon of sugar. I got them mixed up and took one sip of her coffee and was shocked by the incredibly intense sweetness. It was actually quite unpleasant.

Reactions: jjraak

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that I brainwashed myself after watching the Panorama programme about amputations and T2D. Even now recalling the programme makes me shudder. My right foot had neuropathy and was moving to high risk.

I had a mantra I used over and over again when faced with a sweet treat - 'what do I want to do - eat the treat or keep my feet'.

I had remembered that Mary Quant had done something similar in the 1960s and it had worked for her - although of course she had used it to stay slim and not to save her feet.

Although the brainwashing was very effective I do think that by not eating the sweet stuff for years has changed my perception of sweetness. I made a coffee for a friend who has 1 teaspoon of sugar. I got them mixed up and took one sip of her coffee and was shocked by the incredibly intense sweetness. It was actually quite unpleasant.
Interesting about the coffee and of course the danger of not understanding what reverting to old ways will do is always present. Hopefully I will continue to be able to, for example, buy a Panettone each Christmas, eat 1 slice and throw it away having tested and seen where extended forays off piste will lead. At present I usually return to where I started after 2 hrs. I am far from convinced that LCHF is good for anything other than making the meter/Swipey jump through hoops. Glad the course was good.

Last edited:
Reactions: dunelm

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh calamity. Collected the frying pan from Wait...., Newmarket but the poor dears have been forced into offering 20% off meat, fish and cheese. Being a kindly soul JKP felt obliged to help them through such tough times - why else would they feel the need to reduce keto food? #feelingvirtuous #ifIcanhelpsomeonealomgtheway.
Always good if you can help someone out. Hard times not exclusive to Dickens.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Koffy - I used to have gallons of the stuff each day - instant, 2 sugars, milk. Nowadays it’s made in a cafetière, strong and black, no sugar and rarely more than 1 a day. Such a treat.

Reactions: jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Koffy - I used to have gallons of the stuff each day - instant, 2 sugars, milk. Nowadays it’s made in a cafetière, strong and black, no sugar and rarely more than 1 a day. Such a treat.
I used to love a cappuccino with 2 sugars. Now I really love a strong Nespresso with 1 tsp of cream. Probably love my coffees a little too much as I have more than one Nespresso.

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting about the coffee and of course the danger of not understanding what reverting to old ways will do is always present. Hopefully I will continue to be able to, for example, buy a Panettone each Christmas, eat 1 slice and throw it away having tested and seen where extended forays off piste will lead. At present I usually return to where I started after 2 hrs. I am far from convinced that LCHF is good for anything other than making the meter/Swipey jump through hoops. Glad the course was good.
I must admit that the best part of low carb for me is the fact that it reversed the neuropathy in my right foot. It was horrible the way it was progressing and the macular oedema and I knew that I couldn't bear it if the worst happened and I could no longer teach pilates nor go on our long walks in the countryside with our dogs.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
I must admit that the best part of low carb for me is the fact that it reversed the neuropathy in my right foot. It was horrible the way it was progressing and the macular oedema and I knew that I couldn't bear it if the worst happened and I could no longer teach pilates nor go on our long walks in the countryside with our dogs.
Well done, an inspiration, but being not an advocate of low carb, we must find out what works for us and us alone.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done, an inspiration, but being not an advocate of low carb, we must find out what works for us and us alone.
Agreed @alf_Josiah .

Which for me was why the forum as a whole was such a valuable tool & so educational.

I would never have had the wealth of information I found and certainly wouldn't have been convinced by a page or two of a pdf information sheet

But the tales and experiences of those posting honestly on here & sharing their journey ?

Absolutely inspired me to dabble, then once numbers started following a suggested pattern, I then immersed myself fully.

The point you make is correct, we must all find our own way, regarding our own circumstances, etc

And @Krystyna23040 tale was a great example of how her particular journey went & the personal improvement it afforded her.

Long may such stories regale us, as we all seek a suitable path through our journey back to improved health, however we find it

Reactions: alf_Josiah

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Languishing on the FBG front
Apologies :bag:

Recent trip to docs ( described previously, not inspiring but am reprogramming many of my expectations )

This week's a little more upbeat

Leg physio.
Jarred leg on a walk :banghead: ( more a shuffle but you get the picture)
Sharp pain under knee when walking .:arghh:

Been quite painful, made the phsyio appointment a lot less useful in many ways

However, on the plus side, that left more time for a 1-2-1
Explained previous week's disappointment :sorry:
Shot the breeze honestly.
Bared a little more then I expected.
cleared away a few misconceptions both sides

Agreed I suited a more regimented approach
Now have an app, where I input my reps etc and physio can read data on same day.

Upshot is.
Less can be more.
& "I'm doing really well
Progress is at or slightly ahead of where I was expected to be"

And now i have a new plan & regime until the next meet.

Telling me what I wanted to hear ?
Maybe

Telling what I needed to hear ?
Most definitely.:happy:

It feels a lonely journey, but days & moments like that where common humanity shows itself in the simplest of ways, .touched me.

Road hadn't got any shorter, but it feels better signposted.

Otherwise been a few days laid up, pain easing
Not the best of birthdays.if I'm honest :rolleyes:

But checking my sock draw, I'm happy they still get used in pairs,...so no complaints.:)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Languishing on the FBG front
Apologies :bag:

Recent trip to docs ( described previously, not inspiring but am reprogramming many of my expectations )

This week's a little more upbeat

Leg physio.
Jarred leg on a walk :banghead: ( more a shuffle but you get the picture)
Sharp pain under knee when walking .:arghh:

Been quite painful, made the phsyio appointment a lot less useful in many ways

However, on the plus side, that left more time for a 1-2-1
Explained previous week's disappointment :sorry:
Shot the breeze honestly.
Bared a little more then I expected.
cleared away a few misconceptions both sides

Agreed I suited a more regimented approach
Now have an app, where I input my reps etc and physio can read data on same day.

Upshot is.
Less can be more.
& "I'm doing really well
Progress is at or slightly ahead of where I was expected to be"

And now i have a new plan & regime until the next meet.

Telling me what I wanted to hear ?
Maybe

Telling what I needed to hear ?
Most definitely.:happy:

It feels a lonely journey, but days & moments like that where common humanity shows itself in the simplest of ways, .touched me.

Road hadn't got any shorter, but it feels better signposted.

Otherwise been a few days laid up, pain easing
Not the best of birthdays.if I'm honest :rolleyes:

But checking my sock draw, I'm happy they still get used in pairs,...so no complaints.:)
If I have got that right @jjraak
Happy Birthday
g34021.gif

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Stay safe all.
View attachment 54094
Marvellous set of wheels. I like the construction.

Reactions: alf_Josiah