What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a Atkins bar.
Dinner: LC pork pie, leafy salad, coleslaw and two orange baby tomatoes followed by DGF raspberry Bakewell with cream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The posh curry ended up being salmon tikka for starter, very moist and tasty. Main was a 'house special' of chicken, lamb kofta and prawns. Asked to swap the rice for salad but that wasn't possible so settled for spinach instead. Disappointingly it came in a huge amount of sauce, which I left a lot of.
Dessert at home was 1 hm lc brownie split between 3 of us, topped off with small scoop ice cream.
Did stay off the alcohol
Haven't tested.

Reactions: Annb and valuator

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two hard boiled eggs, two slices of low carb toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Hot X bun with out the X on it for smoko.
Lamb forequarter chops, green veggies and gravy, orange and osmolax jelly for lunch.
Ramadan mustard fish and a small dish of spicy rice, some other stuff that I can't pronounce let alone spell from my neighbour for supper at six. It didn't seem to knock my bgl up to much so not concerned about it.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is that not just a bun then? ;)
Woolies have been selling hot cross buns since January for years.

A Woolworths baker of more than 5 years has let us in on the fact that these things are actually sold every day of the year - but they're cross-less, and sold as simple 'Traditional Fruited Bun '.

The best bit is despite them having virtually the same ingredients, they tell us they barely sell without the flavourless, weird cross on the top. Go figure.

So if you're one of the thousands desperate for your Easter fix BEFORE they officially hit all store shelves on Jan 2 (Woolworths), or Jan 3 (Coles) then our suggestion is to head down there now and pick up some of the fruit buns instead. You won't regret it!

Cross less at $4:00: https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/196100/woolworths-extra-soft-spicy-fruit-bun

With cross at at easter time: $3.50: https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/747039/woolworths-traditional-hot-cross-buns-buns

valuator

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
(April 9th)

Breakfast (9am): Black coffee
Snack (10:30am): None
Lunch (12pm): Two hardboiled eggs with mayo, ham and cheese rollups, tomatoes, cucumbers
Snack (6pm): Family ate takeout supper at the Dairy Queen at the beach. I had 1 chicken finger to bridge me to a meal at home. A few peanuts in car.
Dinner (8pm): Baked chicken wings (convection mode)
Evening Snack (10pm): Two low carb beers

Strolled 2km on the beach, still in our winter gear. It’s all the walking my foot would tolerate. Let the kids look for “beach treasure” and have an hour on the playground in the picnic area. My fountain Diet Pepsi at the Dairy Queen at the beach tasted funny, judging from the massive spike in BS, it must have gotten mixed up with regular. What a shame…would rather have suffered a spike from ice cream instead :banghead:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

RosemaryJackson

Hello everyone. Didn't post yesterday as it's best forgotten. Today my fbg was 9.2 so I've had sausage, bacon, egg, baked beans and 1 toast (Livlife) with butter for bf. For next meal, chicken breast with veg and spot of gravy. For a snack, my usual 2 squares of chocolate. Maybe this time I will be back on track. My Retinopathy test shows background damage from diabetes but they say nothing to worry about but get diabetes under control. Atm, I still feel as if I'm in denial. Unless it's the last 16 monthsworth of stress getting to me. If you think I'm going off track, feel free to tell me off!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stress is very bad @RosemaryJackson and no mistake. It messes with your head, your stomach and it seems your BG. Hope you will be able to reduce it going forward. Note to self. So back to Friday and supper was one of my “house” Lo Dough pizzas with swirl of tomato paste, goats cheese, halved cherry toms (not many) and black & green olives, dried herbs sprinkled over the top. Not like pizza of yore but still feels like a treat. Yesterday brekkie was my usual HiLo toast and lots of tea, as was today and every day. Lunch yesterday was scrambled eggs followed by tea and two squares dark hazelnut choc. Supper was Indian t/a of cauli bhajee and 4 Tandoori King Prawns (would prefer 5!). Just had lunch of small avocado and small pack cold flaked salmon with mayo, neither are my fave things but needed to be virtuous after high FBG. Then mug tea and two squares dark hazelnut choc to remove the cold salmon taste! Later Mr PM has requested chicken fajitas and wraps with soured cream, salsa and guacamole. I will have mine unwrapped!

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Stress is very bad @RosemaryJackson and no mistake. It messes with your head, your stomach and it seems your BG.

Absolutely it is! Can't get mine to go down to my normal level which, at the best of times is higher than I would like ideally. As the days pass and I find myself worrying at my brother's problem, I'm finding my BGs staying higher than normal. And I can't be bothered thinking about suitable meals.

Today: the end slice from a newly baked wholemeal loaf (because I got up at 2.30 am and there was nothing on TV to take my mind off ours, and the world's troubles). For lunch I had a cheese sandwich with a slice cut from the same loaf. Too many carbs and I'm feeling hungry but I know it's only comfort my stomach wants, not food. But guess what, my mind is wandering to a plate of chips. I have some in a bag in the freezer and I'm telling myself that I don't even like frozen chips. Nevertheless ... I might give in to the thought. I'll try not to but an image just appeared in my mind of a chip butty with 2 slices of my wholemeal loaf. Get thee behind me ...

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Stress is very bad @RosemaryJackson and no mistake. It messes with your head, your stomach and it seems your BG. Hope you will be able to reduce it going forward. Note to self. So back to Friday and supper was one of my “house” Lo Dough pizzas with swirl of tomato paste, goats cheese, halved cherry toms (not many) and black & green olives, dried herbs sprinkled over the top. Not like pizza of yore but still feels like a treat. Yesterday brekkie was my usual HiLo toast and lots of tea, as was today and every day. Lunch yesterday was scrambled eggs followed by tea and two squares dark hazelnut choc. Supper was Indian t/a of cauli bhajee and 4 Tandoori King Prawns (would prefer 5!). Just had lunch of small avocado and small pack cold flaked salmon with mayo, neither are my fave things but needed to be virtuous after high FBG. Then mug tea and two squares dark hazelnut choc to remove the cold salmon taste! Later Mr PM has requested chicken fajitas and wraps with soured cream, salsa and guacamole. I will have mine unwrapped!
If you live somewhere you can get the Unbun products, you could try their Unwrap, not quite as good as the real thing but a very good alternative if you don’t have time, or inclination, to make low carb ones from scratch.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, after eating a few slices of garlic tomato bread and a couple of potato bravas last night at the Tapas I am straight back on the low carb! And I did enjoy it, no denial there.

Breakfast: low carb granola, slice of carbzone bread, butter, mocha
Lunch: 2 slices of manchego cheese, parma ham, m and s seeded crackers, cucumber and tomato. a few montezuma dark buttons
Dinner: bacon, tomatoes, eggs and mushrooms. berries and cream

Much better carb count!

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Hi, does anyone know if kings mill no crust bread is ok it’s 14.6 carbs for 2 slices. I normally eat 15 to 19 carbs for lunch any ways thinking of trying this bread. And does any one up there carbs once remission if they do lots of exercise i exercise every day

RosemaryJackson

Absolutely it is! Can't get mine to go down to my normal level which, at the best of times is higher than I would like ideally. As the days pass and I find myself worrying at my brother's problem, I'm finding my BGs staying higher than normal. And I can't be bothered thinking about suitable meals.

Today: the end slice from a newly baked wholemeal loaf (because I got up at 2.30 am and there was nothing on TV to take my mind off ours, and the world's troubles). For lunch I had a cheese sandwich with a slice cut from the same loaf. Too many carbs and I'm feeling hungry but I know it's only comfort my stomach wants, not food. But guess what, my mind is wandering to a plate of chips. I have some in a bag in the freezer and I'm telling myself that I don't even like frozen chips. Nevertheless ... I might give in to the thought. I'll try not to but an image just appeared in my mind of a chip butty with 2 slices of my wholemeal loaf. Get thee behind me ...

@Annb, I know exactly where you are coming from!! Atm, I'm there with you. Toast and lots of butter are in my mind plus baked beans on top. I thought I was doing so well getting my HBA1c down but can't seem to get my bg down. I thought Diabetes was like a wayward child but it seems it could be me! Will have to try harder. Good luck to both of us. Hope your brother gets well soon.

RosemaryJackson

Thanks @PenguinMum, can only try.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted with roasted cheese & pepper on top. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner (out) - Lovely juicy steak with peppercorn sauce on top with a large side salad which included grated cheese & coleslaw. 2 squares or more of 90% Lindtt when back home

Edited to Add - I have just had 2 chicken drumsticks with mayo - feeling hungover today and I have the munchies - I also had some mixed nuts earlier ...

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted with roasted cheese & pepper on top. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner (out) - Lovely juicy steak with peppercorn sauce on top with a large side salad which included grated cheese & coleslaw. 2 squares or more of 90% Lindtt when back home

Edited to Add - I have just had 2 chicken drumsticks with mayo - feeling hungover today and I have the munchies - I also had some mixed nuts earlier ...
Oh the dreaded munchies - have just polished off sunflower seeds and cold yesterdays curry (with no cauliflower rice). Think it was the work out today that has made me really really hungry, but I feel hungry still :eek:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it’s been a rubbish few weeks but I’ve decided that the all important ‘me time’ should include posting here, it’s a comfortable normal routine and I need to get back in it.
No breakfast today as we were up early; chartered a mackerel fishing boat to go out and scatter son in law’s ashes in view of his favourite surfing beach.
Lunch was a slow cooked, bone in flat end of brisket. I put it in the oven overnight, smelled and tasted great even to those who had little appetite. Mashed swede and garlicky green beans with it. Plus wine
M&S seedy crackers and Kernow Gold cheese ( v stinky and delicious) a bit later.
One surprising thing I’ve discovered is that I no longer reach for starchy carbs and sugar as comfort food. I’ve stayed pretty much on track in spite of everything else being chaotic. Too many nuts maybe but it could have been a lot worse.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and an Atkins bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and Phd bar.
Tea at ILs: cold meat, cheese and salad buffet followed by a mini hot cross bun slice! (No Jaffas this week!) :wideyed: but blood sugar was 3.9mmols/l 2 hours later, so looks like I got away with that one!

Edit for typo

Last edited: