What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MommaE

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I bought chicken livers today.
I've never made chicken livers before, so I need to Google what to do with them to make a tasty meal.
Or I can ask you of course!
So give me all of your best chicken liver dishes please! :)
Pate…dunk celery sticks in it

Reactions: Annb and Antje77

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 I’m hoping you’ve got more willpower than me with that haul of choc/nutty squares!

Having browsed all the cream cakes in Morrisons I settled for a bar of Lindt 90%, some extra thick double cream and a jar of almond butter to take back to my hotel room in lieu of Easter eggs. Got something of a shock when I arrived back to find the lifts out of service due to some kind of fire alert. Being on the 7th floor and having bought 2 large packs of water, I managed to enlist a friendly receptionist to help me lug it all up the stairs! Thankfully the lifts are now back in service.

Otherwise food has been a breakfast of a 3 egg omelette with ham, cheese and onions with a side of bacon and a beef gym box from German Doner Kebab eaten a fresco in the sun for dinner.

Feet up in the hotel now as I’ve ended up walking a bit further than intended today.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I’m hoping you’ve got more willpower than me with that haul of choc/nutty squares!
I'm bound to complain about my chocolaty nut things being finished at some point in the future.
Whatever you do, do not link back to todays post to show me exactly how long it took me to finish 1.8 kg of them... :bag:

Reactions: maglil55

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you think it might be to do with the speed of the fall? I’ve felt ‘off’ sometimes even when BG is pretty normal but has dropped after a high carb food which has spiked me, if BG falls quickly to whatever level it seems to make me feel weird.

Sorry @DJC3 completely forgot to come back to you on this. I don’t think so, but this particular ‘episode’ might be explained by the fact that I developed a bug a couple of days later.

Reactions: DJC3

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Made a new batch of chocolaty nut squares yesterday, put them in bags in the freezer. Very spicy this time (last batch was a bit bland), good kick of chilli powder, and a strong ginger and clove flavour as well, I think these are the best I've ever made so far! :hungry:

Which is a good thing too, I weighed the bags before putting them in the freezer and it turns out I have a whopping 1.8 kg of them. :wideyed:
If I calculated correctly they are about 8.3 gr carbs per 100 gr. :)

278640457_10225387262222856_4219427754895378423_n.jpg
Omg these look so good x if u don’t mind can you tell me how u make them x

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi any one know a low carb wine please red or white I’m getting sick of vodka it’s to strong I do like a drink on a weekend Lmao
Seriously Low Carb do a low carb prosecco which I've just tried. I got it for Christmas but we all had covid and didn't drink anything much. It's zero carbs but a bit pricey. Currently they've reduced to £18.99 per bottle. 11% proof.
They also do a Pinot Grigio and a Rose.

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Omg these look so good x if u don’t mind can you tell me how u make them x
Sure!
The basic recipe is:

100 gr dark chocolate, 85% cocoa or higher
60 gr butter
60 gr nut butter
nuts (more than you think)

Melt everything au bain marie
Add nuts
Put into shallow bowl with baking sheet
Let set for a few hours until firm enough to cut (not too long or they will break in all the wrong places)
Let set longer before eating or freezing.

I like to roast my nuts in the oven before adding.
My favourite spices to add are chilli, powdered ginger and powdered cloves. About three times as much as what you think will be too much.

I like to use almond butter and walnuts, but the original recipe is with peanut butter and peanuts.
This time I used mainly walnuts but also some pecan nuts and sunflower seeds. I wanted to use pumpkin seeds but they were expensive, and I found the sunflower seeds for only 3 euros or so for a kilo, and they taste nice too. (probably that cheap because they were sold as bird food, they taste just like sunflower seeds so fine with me.)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: coffee shop coconut cappuccino and a Carb Killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and an Aldi protein bar.
Dinner: LC pizza with coleslaw, sliced radishes and two mini orange tomatoes followed by DGF lemon drizzle cakes with cream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and blueberries
Mid morning: 1 cold bratwurst
L: 30g cheddar with 4 cocktail sausages and some olives. 1 nut bar
Bought a whole salmon and filleted it to give a generous side for tonight, 6 large portions for the freezer, a bowl of good bits for human consumption, a bowl of skin and bits for the cats
D: Salmon which had been marinated with a topping of spices ( ground mustard seeds, paprika and garlic in yoghurt) while we popped to the pub for an outside drink in the sun. 1 glass of wine, roast peppers, celery slow cooked in tomato, broccoli. 1 small scoop ice cream.

Some salmon left for tomorrow, I do like cold salmon

Seem to be streaming with a cold, which might explain the bad day yesterday. Hoping its not covid as have to test negative on Wednesday to go on holiday ..

Love the choc nut square @Antje77 . Did you just use 100g chocolate and an awful lot of nuts to get over 1kg total?
Can't help with chicken livers. Have tried them 3 times since going lc and just can't get on with them, or only as small bit of pate but it make so much.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Love the choc nut square @Antje77 . Did you just use 100g chocolate and an awful lot of nuts to get over 1kg total?
No, no, I just cincupled (if this isn't a word, it should be) the recipe by using four 125 grams chocolate bars from Lidl!
They freeze well, saves me the hassle of making it more often! :)

This sounds just like the kind of meal I love!

I took @Annb advice on the chicken livers and added some more veggies so I can stretch my 350 grams of livers to 3 days.
Made enough veggies for 3 days but will fry the livers fresh before eating each day because the Google told me they turn rubbery when you reheat them.
Tasty!

278608000_10225388848102502_7450386336859807605_n.jpg

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Still catching up. Saturday 9 April - bed 6.6 FBG 6.1

B. TAG and 4 M&S Wheaten crackers with whipped cheese.
L. Grabbed a couple of Hubby's crisps.
D. Cold cuts again. Wafer thin chicken, beef, pork, mortadella, mini sausage slices, coronation chicken, coleslaw and M&S serrano ham crisps.

Sunday bed and FBG both 7.5. Strange day. BGs a bit up and down.

B. TAG - GF Black pudding, 2 slices back bacon, fried egg, santini tomatoes and 1 slice of SLC toast with butter.

L. Nothing last swimming lesson before the holidays.

D. We went out to our Argentine Steak house with son, DIL and both boys.
3 scallops done in chimichurri. Rib eye with tomato, Portobello mushroom, wilted spinach with feta and pepper sauce. A lot of sauvion blanc! A brandy coffee, cream no sugar. Lovely night.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never made chicken livers before, so I need to Google what to do with them to make a tasty meal.
Or I can ask you of course
I have never really cooked chicken livers, but I have used them as bait to use when we used to go fishing in both fresh and salt water.

Caught some nice fish with them as well.

No, no, I just cincupled (if this isn't a word, it should be) the recipe by using four 125 grams chocolate bars from Lidl!!

I could not find cincupled

Quadrupled might fit better with your mix.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 I missed your original post re chicken livers but flash fried in butter is the best in my book. Definitely don’t overcook or reheat.
Pate is a good choice too

@maglil55 I can’t remember where to get lakanto golden monkfruit from. I know you’ve told me before, Every UK site I’ve tried has sold out. My daughter annoyingly used all mine while I was away a few weeks ago, she thought it was the sweetener I don’t like ( which is pure erythritol)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mashed up hard boiled egg sandwiches, for breakfast.
Nothing for smoko, had a lemon lime cordial drink with osmolax in it to help things along
Cottage pie with mashed pumpkin on mine, green veggies, orange jelly osmolax mix.
Small tin of baked beans on toast for supper at six.

Chunk of chocolate easter bunny that came with our last shopping order from the Woolies shopping pickers as a easter present.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, that's 4 times. I wrote the recipe based on 100 gr of chocolate, using four 125 gr bars cincuples the amount.
I see where you are coming from probably quintuples is a result I have just found.

4 X 100 is quadrupled, 4 x 125 is still quadrupled, if you used 5 x 100 it would 500 is quintupled , 5 x 125 is 625 is quintupled as well.

Yummy chocolate goodness though, I hope they last over the easter. :D

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All had such a fun day with the gathering of the clan yesterday. My soon to be DIL had a bad migraine and didnt come but sent home a t/a pack with youngest son. The only photo I have @DJC is the Ras al Hanout cauli salad which was the biggest hit and was easy and made according to my memory of eating it out. I made a paste of the spice and olive oil and massaged the florets and put them in a medium over for 15 mins, added a little water from the kettle so they didnt dry up too much. They came out al dente and added can of drained chickpeas, pomegranate seeds and blobs of natural yogurt and goats cheese, topped with mint leaves. I baked salmon fillets with herby butter in tin foil and made a Med veg pasta bake (using the 50/50 allocation) with a thick cheesey top, Jersey Royals baked with fresh rosemary and English asparagus drzzled with OO, seasoned and 15 mins in oven. It was all such an easy “put everything in the oven”. I got a chocolate roulade from Cook and added lots of mini eggs and a huge bowl of berries. I am afraid I tried to be good but drank too much French rose wine and the chickpeas etc(?) and though I dodged dessert I did snaffle a few or more mini eggs (the ones with crispy shell).
1DAB3FB6-2F0A-433E-846F-339B4FCC22F6.jpeg

Today its just the two of us so will bbq tonight enough for two days and use up the leftovers from yesterday. Hopefully it will be a couple of relaxing days in the sunshine with easy relaxing food. Happy Easter everyone.