Sharing inspirational photos after LCHF anyone?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
A brilliant response @Rachox

Yes that's the pic

I must have got confused about pics

Have sent to her , FANTASTIC was the reply

I am so hoping she decides to dip a toe in here on the forum

So much to learn about this disease, that so many don't or won't tell you

:)
Thank you for resurrecting this thread @jjraak i can’t believe the thread is 3 and a half years ago. Interesting too that my healthy weight and my blood glucose remains at the same level as it was then. Before I ate low carb all my many many diets worked initially but within a few months on low fat I was always hungry and rebounded back to where I started - plus a few pounds. This time 4 years ago I achieved 59.3kgs and my weight this morning was still a healthy 59.1kgs - hardly budged for four years and my hbaca1 remains in low 30s rather than the 97 I had on diagnosis! Couldn’t have done the initial change though without all the support from my forum friends it made a huge difference to me and continues to do so.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for resurrecting this thread @jjraak i can’t believe the thread is 3 and a half years ago. Interesting too that my healthy weight and my blood glucose remains at the same level as it was then. Before I ate low carb all my many many diets worked initially but within a few months on low fat I was always hungry and rebounded back to where I started - plus a few pounds. This time 4 years ago I achieved 59.3kgs and my weight this morning was still a healthy 59.1kgs - hardly budged for four years and my hbaca1 remains in low 30s rather than the 97 I had on diagnosis! Couldn’t have done the initial change though without all the support from my forum friends it made a huge difference to me and continues to do so.

Hi @shelley262

Yes a fantastic achievement indeed.
So many success stories
But as you say all aided & abetted by the good folks on here :)

You for me were a shining example of that goodness.

You took the time to educate a dufus like me in the baking dept how to 'Bake'.

Sadly I was no Mary berry, but You gave freely of your time, so I could at least try .

A valuable gift early in my journey

And something I try to emulate, in my own way, to others who find their way here.

People like yourself set the bar high

Nice to see you doing & looking so well.

Long may it continue xx

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

A very old thread, but most inspiring still.

Have a cousin T2D, been a massive help to me in so many ways since my accident , and rekindled a deep friendship.

Chatting about our T2D journeys, for various reasons she ended up on insulin.

Discussed how useful this forum has been for me, and was reminded of the weight loss pics, @Debandez @Goonergal & @shelley262 amongst others posted up as a group, and iirc two of them in one pair of the 'old them' trousers

Wonder if anyone could help me find that post or pic ?

Trying to persuade cousin of merits of such a like minded group & pic would clearly concentrate the mind to "possibles" even if these marvellous testimonies & pic unlikely fail.

Cheers :)

Gosh time flies. So sorry to hear about your accident :-( hope all is well now.

This is such a positive thread and great it's back out there to inspire others. I know i could not have done what I did without the help and support of the forum members who give help so freely. I couldn't have done it without them. Thank goodness for this forum. I see @Rachox has posted the pic. Fab. I still have them all (included in an 'inspirational stories' booklet) if you need others. @shelley262 also put together a fantastic booklet 'what have you eaten today' which includes lots of recipes and many hints and tips. @Rachox produced a wonderful leaflet re blood glucose monitoring.

i too have maintained my 50lb weightloss (still keep pinching myself) and a normal a1c of 36 for past 3 years. All health markers optimal including cholesterol. It works.

Lovely that you've rekindled such a great friendship. Wishing you well in your mission to help your t2d cousin.

This may help a little.

it was meant to be titled 'how I put my t2 diabetes into reverse' but someone somewhere changed the title :-(

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

This is such a positive thread and great it's back out there to inspire others. I know i could not have done what I did without the help and support of the forum members who give help so freely. I couldn't have done it without them. Thank goodness for this forum. I see @Rachox has posted the pic. Fab. I still have them all (included in an 'inspirational stories' booklet) if you need others. @shelley262 also put together a fantastic booklet 'what have you eaten today' which includes lots of recipes and many hints and tips. @Rachox produced a wonderful leaflet re blood glucose monitoring.

i too have maintained my 50lb weightloss (still keep pinching myself) and a normal a1c of 36 for past 3 years. All health markers optimal including cholesterol. It works.

Lovely that you've rekindled such a great friendship. Wishing you well in your mission to help your t2d cousin.

This may help a little.

it was meant to be titled 'how I put my t2 diabetes into reverse' but someone somewhere changed the title :-(
Way ahead of you @Debandez

You were my original thought to her, how you'd not only delved in but put that experience to good use at surgeries & events

Too many good people on here to mention, who offered me help & guidance .

You were one of those for definite , offering good advice & a sympathetic ear when it wasn't going to plan.

Overjoyed to see it's stayed off, (but I knew with your determination, that was a given :) )

Good to see you are still offering such helpful advice & videos .

Have linked her to the starting for this particular thread, but will also post on your video link.

Kind of you to mention x
Been 4 months and just beginning to walk again, but I'm getting there.

Take care
Warmest regards

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

This may help a little.

Huge koodos for putting yourself out there, little by little

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this reverse inspirational ?
Anyway, it hit me, patients response to finding out about low carb

https://twitter.com/MichaelMindrum/status/1444002633086341121

tww1.PNG

Reactions: Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Way ahead of you @Debandez

You were my original thought to her, how you'd not only delved in but put that experience to good use at surgeries & events

Too many good people on here to mention, who offered me help & guidance .

You were one of those for definite , offering good advice & a sympathetic ear when it wasn't going to plan.

Overjoyed to see it's stayed off, (but I knew with your determination, that was a given :) )

Good to see you are still offering such helpful advice & videos .

Have linked her to the starting for this particular thread, but will also post on your video link.

Kind of you to mention x
Been 4 months and just beginning to walk again, but I'm getting there.

Take care
Warmest regards

Gosh that sounds like a terrible accident!!! Is it too intrusive to ask what happened? Im thinking perhaps it involved your bike :-( Good that you are back on your feet again :)

Yes I'm loving working with several local surgeries. Working with the social prescribers for obesity and diabetes. Just sharing my story via zoom (TEAMS) and offering support. Have yet to do an event post lockdowns. Hopefully they will happen in the near future.

Thank you for your kind words - right back at ya. You always brought a smile to my face and very often a belly laugh.

I'm almost finished an hour long version of this talk which has over 70 slides!!! Just putting the finishing touches to it now in fact. Lots more info. It doesnt slate the NHS guidelines either. Its going to be used at the surgeries i work with (and hopefully beyond as my practice manager is going to share all over the place!). Recording next week hopefully (When my photographer friend can fit me in). It would be something I feel would have helped me on dx. Or if I'd seen similar prior to becoming t2d/prediabetic .... maybe I could even have avoided! Education is key and so many on here educated me. Still learning EVERY day mind you.

Done a few podcasts too. Example.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...have-t2-diabetes/id1503692518?i=1000506246146

It's great that we can share our success to help others. Give people hope.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: jjraak

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's my way of helping. Doing my bit :)

I'd love to have your bravery to stand all the slings & hooks of social media, must be a landmine of "eatwell plate" professionals that you have to step through daily.
I lie in a weird zone where I can actually eat carbs but refuse to, once you've put you're head in the tiger & all that.
There's a few of us unicorns who could now pass all main 3 tests for T2.

If we go mainstream then it becomes an accepted aim of any newly diagnosed T2.
I would be selling snake oil, a pure one off unicorn so I stay away from self publication bar these forums.

Cried when I heard about Sarah Halford

Reactions: jjraak and Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd love to have your bravery to stand all the slings & hooks of social media, must be a landmine of "eatwell plate" professionals that you have to step through daily.
I lie in a weird zone where I can actually eat carbs but refuse to, once you've put you're head in the tiger & all that.
There's a few of us unicorns who could now pass all main 3 tests for T2.

If we go mainstream then it becomes an accepted aim of any newly diagnosed T2.
I would be selling snake oil, a pure one off unicorn so I stay away from self publication bar these forums.

Cried when I heard about Sarah Halford

Firstly - Sarah Hallberg was an incredible doctor. I always point people to her Ted talk. Very sad loss but she continues to help from beyond.

Secondly and on a lighter note - I LOVE your profile pic. T2 the terminator. Very apt considering you've blown t2 out of the water :)

I'm not brave at all. Just found a little courage from goodness knows where. I hate injustice and when I was dx and heard a resounding 'ignore the guidelines they will only make you worse' from every forum i visited I saw red. On a mission to try to help turn this Titanic.

Funnily enough I havent come across anyone advocating the eatwell who tackles me. I think I've been lucky up to now ;-)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gosh that sounds like a terrible accident!!! Is it too intrusive to ask what happened? Im thinking perhaps it involved your bike :-( Good that you are back on your feet again :)

Yes I'm loving working with several local surgeries. Working with the social prescribers for obesity and diabetes. Just sharing my story via zoom (TEAMS) and offering support. Have yet to do an event post lockdowns. Hopefully they will happen in the near future.

Thank you for your kind words - right back at ya. You always brought a smile to my face and very often a belly laugh.

I'm almost finished an hour long version of this talk which has over 70 slides!!! Just putting the finishing touches to it now in fact. Lots more info. It doesnt slate the NHS guidelines either. Its going to be used at the surgeries i work with (and hopefully beyond as my practice manager is going to share all over the place!). Recording next week hopefully (When my photographer friend can fit me in). It would be something I feel would have helped me on dx. Or if I'd seen similar prior to becoming t2d/prediabetic .... maybe I could even have avoided! Education is key and so many on here educated me. Still learning EVERY day mind you.

Done a few podcasts too. Example.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...have-t2-diabetes/id1503692518?i=1000506246146

It's great that we can share our success to help others. Give people hope.

Yep, scooter.

Van u-turned, then ran over me.

Pretty horrific, lucky to have kept leg
Broke bones in other limbs ☹️.
Month in hospital, barely able to move.

Not my best moments.

Wonderful you are going from strength to strength.

Keep up the good works, far too many left to wither with the indifference too many HCP seem to have .

Absolutely agree.
Low carb, SHOULD be one of the choices offered at DX.

Best wishes :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep, scooter.

Van u-turned, then ran over me.

Pretty horrific, lucky to have kept leg
Broke bones in other limbs ☹️.
Month in hospital, barely able to move.

Not my best moments.

Wonderful you are going from strength to strength.

Keep up the good works, far too many left to wither with the indifference too many HCP seem to have .

Absolutely agree.
Low carb, SHOULD be one of the choices offered at DX.

Best wishes :)

OMG how awful!!! It sounds like you are lucky to be alive. I can't even imagine what you have been through :-( very traumatic. Thankfully you are back on your feet. Onwards and upwards. Sorry for the delay in replying.....I thought I had posted my reply only to see it still sitting here today unposted. Hope you had a good Easter.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OMG how awful!!! It sounds like you are lucky to be alive. I can't even imagine what you have been through :-( very traumatic. Thankfully you are back on your feet. Onwards and upwards. Sorry for the delay in replying.....I thought I had posted my reply only to see it still sitting here today unposted. Hope you had a good Easter.
Indeed , a fact that I put down to...

Unluckily lucky to have crashed near THE BEST Trauma hospital in the Country
(Others got airlifted in, they just dragged me in from outside ;) )

Incredibly lucky that THE BEST Trauma surgeon in the Country & his team, performed my operations.

Great first responders
Paramedics on site in minutes
( Ambulance station very nearby )

And THE BEST our NHS could offer.:nurse::nurse::nurse:

Oh so very grateful.

Laying there, I thought I was done.
Mentally said all my goodbyes .

Shocked for a good while once I came round, in ambulance,
(still not quite gotten over that part. Starting PTSD therapy soon )

Physio painfully slow :sorry:

But in ONE Piece and still needing PAIRS of Socks at Chrimbo.

Many much worse off then me.
So as said, very, very grateful to everyone that helped me..

And yep, no worries,:D
I've done that "sure I posted back" thing , once or twice too.:bag:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed , a fact that I put down to...

Unluckily lucky to have crashed near THE BEST Trauma hospital in the Country
(Others got airlifted in, they just dragged me in from outside ;) )

Incredibly lucky that THE BEST Trauma surgeon in the Country & his team, performed my operations.

Great first responders
Paramedics on site in minutes
( Ambulance station very nearby )

And THE BEST our NHS could offer.:nurse::nurse::nurse:

Oh so very grateful.

Laying there, I thought I was done.
Mentally said all my goodbyes .

Shocked for a good while once I came round, in ambulance,
(still not quite gotten over that part. Starting PTSD therapy soon )

Physio painfully slow :sorry:

But in ONE Piece and still needing PAIRS of Socks at Chrimbo.

Many much worse off then me.
So as said, very, very grateful to everyone that helped me..

And yep, no worries,:D
I've done that "sure I posted back" thing , once or twice too.:bag:

Thanks for sharing - not easy reliving that awful day.

Not your time. Lots of luck on that day - good and bad :-( but mainly good

You've not only kept both feet....on the ground but you've kept that wonderful sense of humour too.

PTSD much needed and will hopefully help your recovery. Physio is seeing slow progress but progress non the less. Moving forward is good. In every which way.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for sharing - not easy reliving that awful day.

Not your time. Lots of luck on that day - good and bad :-( but mainly good

You've not only kept both feet....on the ground but you've kept that wonderful sense of humour too.

PTSD much needed and will hopefully help your recovery. Physio is seeing slow progress but progress non the less. Moving forward is good. In every which way.

IMG_20042022_014903_(800_x_800_pixel)_resize_19.jpg