What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah well - took the first 2 antibiotic pills but couldn't tax my stomach with another one or with food. So today's food has just been 1 slice of toast earlier on and then a third of a portion of the tagine. And that's me for today. I will have to drink some more, but even the ginger and lemon tea is making my throat sore now, so I guess it will just be plain old-fashioned tea for the rest of the evening.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Dinner: keralan chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF strawberry jelly and cream.

B1499916-FB71-4269-8E0F-92910BE693ED.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Early breakfast of 3 small scrambled eggs
Finally able to do some planting in the garden after we actually had rain yesterday..
L: cheese and seedy crackers. Yoghurt berry dessert.
Afternoon hunting in the charity shops for an outfit to wear at a themed event on Saturday. Found one, size 8 and it fitted!
Predineer snack of pork crunchies and a glass of wine.
Hubby cooked marinated paneer, then lamb kofta. More wine
Provided biscuits for a committee meeting and ate about 6 of them! :banghead:

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. No bf. Airfried chicken drumsticks with steamed cauli and broccoli and tonight 2 boiled eggs with mayo and cress. Won't be posting for a while. Haven't had a holiday since 2012 so am going away for a break. Be good while I'm away!!

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah well - took the first 2 antibiotic pills but couldn't tax my stomach with another one or with food. So today's food has just been 1 slice of toast earlier on and then a third of a portion of the tagine. And that's me for today. I will have to drink some more, but even the ginger and lemon tea is making my throat sore now, so I guess it will just be plain old-fashioned tea for the rest of the evening.
Ann that sounds miserable for you. I can’t tolerate antibiotics either, tried different ones and never get past 2 days due to very fast transit and discomfort. You might be better to just have a bit of toast or a biscuit thats what I have to do if needed and worry about LC later. My husband loves Mcvities Fruit Shortcake, we call them ‘fly’ biscuits, and they are small and less than 4g carbs each.
Yesterdays food was usual slice toast and lots of tea brekkie.
Lunch was scrambled eggs shared with my grandpuppy who expects them every time she sees me. Supper was chunky fish fingers with baked asparagus.
@ianpspurs nice to see you pop in and will defo factor in asparagus and egg.
@MrsA2 waitrose are selling English asparagus for £1.80 mine had 11 spears. I get a huge bundle locally for £3 which has 6 generous servings so 50p which is probably comparable to price of tenderstem broccoli.
Today same brekkie. Lunch possibly asparagus with fried rather than poached eggs.
Supper is pizza night so a LoDough with tom paste, goats cheese, few halved cherry toms and black olives.

finzi1966

Morning all. Forgot to post yesterday and I too had such a disorganised day, I have no idea what I ate. But today am more 'with it,' so I have chipolatas and chicken leg to air fry and chicken breast to slice up and fry with peppers and onions. That's something I've never done before so am looking forward to it. Am going shopping first so will get some mushrooms as well to add to it. My readings are high recently, sometimes it's 10 during the day, so I'm shortening the eating window and being more strict with the carbs. It's so frustrating to keep getting high numbers and I get so down about it. Sometimes I find it so confusing, I can't think straight and get really tearful, which doesn't help.

Are you on any medication rosemary? Maybe it needs tweaking if so?

I do sympathise about being down about high numbers: I’ve had some oddly high numbers this week, and I know exactly what you mean. I think stress can definitely make things worse BG wise, and if it’s upsetting you enough to make you tearful (and I quite understand- I’ve been there) then that in itself probably isn’t helping.

One suggestion I might make is to scrap the morning FBG. It isn’t really a super-helpful measurement because there is absolutely nothing we can do about it realistically. As a full time Libre wearer, I’ve never *really* bought into the idea that what we eat the day before makes a difference to the following morning’s FBG. Maybe it does for some people - for me (with the benefit of 24/7 monitoring) the only thing that really makes a difference one way or the other is how well I’ve slept.

Reactions: Antje77

Jayne1983

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders any bugs. Horror films and diabetes even tho I’ve reversed it.
Early breakfast of 3 small scrambled eggs
Finally able to do some planting in the garden after we actually had rain yesterday..
L: cheese and seedy crackers. Yoghurt berry dessert.
Afternoon hunting in the charity shops for an outfit to wear at a themed event on Saturday. Found one, size 8 and it fitted!
Predineer snack of pork crunchies and a glass of wine.
Hubby cooked marinated paneer, then lamb kofta. More wine
Provided biscuits for a committee meeting and ate about 6 of them! :banghead:
Lol your so funny love the emoji x last night I did it I had a few vodkas well a lot haha I had one bite of cheese garlic bread from a takeaway shop it was my daughters. Guess what I didn’t like it it was awful then I had one bite just a little bite of a Easter egg and that didn’t taste nice to I’d rather a carb kills bar or a fibre one protein bar. But today I feel so guilty for doing it, sober Jayne wouldn’t of done it lol x

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My husband loves Mcvities Fruit Shortcake, we call them ‘fly’ biscuits, and they are small and less than 4g carbs each.
Trouble with that is that, if I did eat a biscuit (or cake, or sweet, or crisps etc) one is very likely to lead to 2 and who knows where it would stop? I am not good at rationing myself when it comes to what would normally be treats. I wish I were more disciplined, but I'm not - so I daren't just have one biscuit. I did manage to stop at one sherbet lemon the other day when I was dropping down towards a hypo much quicker than I liked, so I felt good about that, but it was hard.

I had a slice of wholemeal bread with some cheddar for breakfast - plenty of butter because the butter was too cold to spread and the bread is pretty soft so falls apart under pressure. It was more like "would you like any bread with that butter?" which was what my mother always used to ask me. It was actually margarine in those days - we couldn't get butter.

I intended to have scrambled eggs for lunch. Alistair came in with the mail and I missed the half hour timing, so just grabbed another slice of bread to get something inside me to soak up the insulin. I will have another meal today. It will be a weekend stir fry (veggies left in the fridge needing to be used) with cauli rice, if I can get it done in time. Em is due to come for the afternoon and then come back again for a sleepover, so time might be tight.

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: just a spoonful of yoghurt to help the vitamins go down and a cwc
L: needed something warm so scrambled 2 small eggs with some peppers, blue cheese and soured cream. Not pretty but tasty. 1 large strawberry with ff greek and a sprinkle of dark choc.
Slept most of the afternoon, no idea why.
D: 4 97% chipolatas with caluflower cheese. 1 glass red. 1 large strawberry

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dinner was a bit of a rush - Em was a bit late going home for her dinner - the pups had some visitors, so Alistair couldn't come up and get her earlier and she'll be back as soon as she has eaten, so time is limited. I just decided to make Egg Fu Yung using some peppers, onion, radish and tomato. Just a kind of omelette really, but with the soy sauce it tasted quite Asian. Didn't bother with the cauli rice - too rushed to get around to that.

Em "made" a chocolate cake in the cake pan that looks like a cupcake and will top it tonight with blackberry butter icing. She's happy with the icing, but I hadn't realised that the blackberry seeds were still in the freeze dried powder and it looks rather lumpy, which I wouldn't like in icing, but as long as she's happy with it, that's fine. I'll know another time though.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Usual bacon and omelette, mushrooms for breakfast.
No smoko or osmolax mix.
Roast boneless pork loin, veggies, and gravy for lunch.
Rest of the pork in toasted sandwiches for supper at six.

Five or six pieces of ginger to help soooooth the gut watching Madmen on Prime.

Small measure of single malt listening to the streaming jazz in bed.

Slept like log got nearly six hours straight, them another four hours and woke up around 7:00 am.

Overwhelmed

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, rudeness
Yeaterday
09.30hrs.. B. pouched eggs, bacon
13.30hrs.. L. Hm soup and cold meats
1600hrs. snack. of Greek yogart and berries
2100hrs. D. late dinner dry spicy chicken and stir fried veg from Asian take away.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with butter on 1 slice wholemeal toast.

2nd meal will be: cauliflower rice, vegetable biriyani. Just about to start making the cauli rice - Em is busy doing her "art work" at present, so I should get the chance to do it.

Edit: It's nearly 7 pm now. Em has only just gone home and needed attention today - just when I could have done with time to rest and cook. But the cauliflower rice is done and the vegetables are in the pan. I have half an hour left to finish the biriyani and eat it before I am booked to have a Zoom meeting. At least veggies don't take too long to cook.

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By making a sugary carby cake I only had a small piece. I think I'd face plant into that stunning lc one and eat the lot. No sharing!:)
I soak the cherries in kirsch and decorate the outside with grated 90 or 100%.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes! Bought 1 then thought better of it and gave it to my Dad! Hasn’t stopped me going back for hot chocolate and other chocs though. However I’d likely have eaten most of it at once.

Speaking of which, I visited the Montezuma’s shop in Shoreditch at lunchtime. Had gone to my favourite food truck and eaten steak, brisket and onions but couldn’t resist the lure of the big M!

Bourach describes my place most of the time!
I got 2 boxes of their Sleekster Dark Fix which were half price plus loads of gin truffles at £2.25 a pack.

Reactions: Goonergal

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So far behind! Friday 13 May ( didn't realise it was Friday 13th) bed 7.1 FBG 7.3.

B. TAG and 1 M&S crispy cheese cracker with whipped cheese.

L. A bit HC 100% dark egg.

D. Bunless burger with Emmental cheese slice and salad.

2 vodkas and diet coke. It was a long afternoon. Took eldest grandson shopping for his first suit (for the leavers dance in June. It has to be an afternoon dance as it seems school here are still not permitted to have evening dances in school. He doesn't care. He highly pleased with his 3 piece suit, shirt and tie (and smart shoes). He even dragged his pal with us as a fashion advisor!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday 14 May bed 7.7 FBG 7.6. This Libre is going to be reported. I'm going through loads of strips (which I have to buy now). Usually it settles after a day but this one is all over tge place.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with whipped cheese.

L. Another piece of that HC 100% dark (well it's keeping me off the gin truffles for now)

D. Cold cuts - ox tongue, roast beef, pork, mortadella, santini tomatoes, 1/2 avocado. A couple of diet coke plus vodka over the evening.

Sunday 15 May - bed 6.5 FBG 7.4

B TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with ham and coleslaw.

L. HC 100% egg - another bit and I still have a lot left.

D. Campari and soda. Slow cooked lamb shank with celeriac mash and, thanks ro watching Rick Stein, I did fresh peas with pancetta, spring onion cooked in chicken stock. Green beans too.
Succumbed to a gin truffle.

(It won't let me send the photo currently)