What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That côte de boeuf looks lovely, along with that broccoli, which looked way better than mine did. @LivingLightly would be proud of us, though! ;)

I did reverse sear a sirloin steak a while ago. It was nice, but I'm not sure it was worth the extra effort. I may try it again with one of those "big daddy" steaks.

I’ve reverse seared steak too, and agree it does need to be a very big thick steak to work best.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner at a Rick Stein eatery! Bet that's a gastronomic experience @DJC3. Rick must be knocking on now. I used to love following his Cornish adventures on TV. His dog Chalky completely stole the show.

Oh yes, I remember Chalky, he was the undoubted star.
This eatery is just a beachfront fish cafe, it’s more casual than his flagship Padstow restaurant but still serves excellent quality food.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. I haven't been posting my meals lately even though they have been pretty good. Yesteday I had beef stew with one spoonful of potato but then went out for afternoontea with friends. Today I'm air-frying some chicken legs and steaming some purple sprouting broccoli. Maybe a tin of red salmon for tea. @jpscloud, I'm nearly 86 but I still try to keep healthy and have a quality of life. I know I make mistakes but doesn't everyone? Have a peaceful Sinday folks. :happy:
Yes totally agree - and I think some leeway (or mistakes!) is really important if it's what helps us stay happy and healthy.

sueh21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all, blustery day here hope all doing well
Yesterday
B Coconut porridge and blueberries
L Smoked salmon and cream cheese H and B bagel. salad
D At daughters so vegan, Veg chilli, cauli rice, guac,large spoonful of mixed berry crumble and alpro custard, glass of white wine. A nice treat.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all, well Storm Kathleen hasn't been too bad here, but of course I only went outside to fill up the bird feeders!

I had 3 scrambled eggs, a small pack of ham and 100g baked feta (not a fancy recipe, just feta baked in the air fryer!) for breakfast.

I cooked a pack of beef mince in the slow cooker with a bay leaf and some celery salt which doesn't list ingredients but does have nutrition facts and appears to be low carb - only half a teaspoon anyway.

Some of that is for tea in a bit, still not very hungry but food is tasting very good when I eat. I think I'm getting the nutrients my body has been craving so I don't need to eat as much - I feel better than I have in years at the moment.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The salmon was fine - baked with lime juice, double cream and butter and I actually managed to poach the eggs properly this time using a tip from the late, lamented Dave Myers. He said, if you put the egg, still in its shell, into the simmering water for 30 seconds, then break the egg into a cup or somesuch and proceed to dropping it into the simmering water as usual, the egg holds together much better while poaching. It works.

It will not, however, be enough for the day, I'm pretty hungry so when I can get to the fridge, I'll have some ham.

Not my weigh-in day so I don't know what's happening with it, but I do know that my clothes are a bit looser, particularly over my huge stomach. That's just in a few days.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great idea thanks! I have a Ninja airfryer which can roast and bake so cooking fish en papillote with fragrant herbs would work very well I think.
I do this too especially when cook a good sized piece of salmon wrapping it with butter lemon and dill in a baking parchment package helps to really tenderize it but no crispy skin - that's the down side!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another busy day I'm trying to work towards some time away so extra stuff to do beforehand. One job really pleased with I faced up to my wardrobe everything taken out and a decision made 're charity shop, kept in a bag for gardening\ painting projects or keeping in wardrobe. Wanted to see if any gaps and any repairs needed. Did a few repairs too so feeling proud of my sort out. Taking eldest son who we care for to dentists tomorrow - which happens to be next to charity shop so car boot loaded! In the past as I steadily put on weight over the years clothes got cleared out as I changed sizes and this happened in reverse much much more rapidly seven years ago but for first time in my life I've stayed at same size for seven years so clear out was needed!

Brunch kefir then ham and cheese salad with sauerkraut and LC cinnamon cake

Dinner roast chicken dinner with English asparagus and purple sprouted broccoli ( I've caught the purple broccoli bug!) With glass of dry white wine. Pudding LC crumble with spoon hm yoghurt.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my normal basal dose of insulin this morning (going to try reducing it tomorrow) but needed no further insulin all day and BG has stayed between 4.9 and 7.1. Great result but I don't think I'll be staying on a carnivore diet beyond the month. It will be a real treat to have vegetables again in May.

jpscloud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had my normal basal dose of insulin this morning (going to try reducing it tomorrow) but needed no further insulin all day and BG has stayed between 4.9 and 7.1. Great result but I don't think I'll be staying on a carnivore diet beyond the month. It will be a real treat to have vegetables again in May.
Brilliant results @Annb! Right with you on the veggies - I'm comfortable on carnivore, much more so than on low carb, but I really miss the veg.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Didn't feel all that hungry, nor did I feel like cooking, so I just had some 10% Greek yoghurt with some mixed nuts, some 85% dark chocolate, followed by a small Braeburn apple. Later I got a takeaway: a chicken tikka with a side salad. Still a bit hungry, but I'll survive.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For lunch I had a sirloin steak with fried mushrooms and steamed purple sprouting broccoli. The steak was a bit chewy, the mushrooms were a bit old, and the broccoli shrank a lot during cooking and lost its nice purple colour. So hardly a success, so no picture.

Tomorrow, I'm having Welsh lamb chops with proper broccoli, plus as yet undecided accompaniments.
Purple broccoli does not stay purple when cooked

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast but got very tired on dog walk. Bg was OK though so assume I wasn't going too low
L: 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped cold bacon, coleslaw and extra mayo. A chocolate éclair.
Later a very thin slice parkin
Another dog walk.

D: in pub. Starter of Wensleydale cheese and bacon salad. Roast beef broccoli carrot and Yorkshire pudding . 3 spoonfuls hubbys lemon sponge pudding. 2 glasses wine. Walked there and back 15 mins each way.

Last full day of holiday

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This eatery is just a beachfront fish cafe, it’s more casual than his flagship Padstow restaurant but still serves excellent quality food.Rock Stien started doing

This eatery is just a beachfront fish cafe, it’s more casual than his flagship Padstow restaurant but still serves excellent quality food.
Rick Stein started doing nationwide deliveries in lock down -think they may still be, so can have restaurant food without having to travel there. Wasn't cheap

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last full day of our hotel break. Same wonderful breakfast I’ve been enjoying each day: small plate of smoked salmon followed by eggs florentine with a side of bacon and mushroom ( but without the muffin) Perfectly cooked poached eggs, I’ll miss them.
No lunch except a DGF peanut butter 1/2 egg
D- at the hotel spa, most of the family joined us for a ‘dip and dine’ I had smoked salmon & cream cheese and the big orange caviar (?lumpfish roe )without the blini it was supposed to come with. I think they gave me double portion of smoked salmon though. Main course of antipasti plate. Couple of glasses of red then a glass of champagne back in the room with no3 daughter and her fiancé.
IMG_1712527249.051584.jpg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning All

Friend is finding hospital food very hit & miss. She ordered jacket potato with beans and cheese early in the week and was delivered a tray with a ramekin of grated cheese. When she queried they said they had run out of potatoes and beans and subsequently found her some bread & butter to make a cheese sandwich. Luckily she saw the funny side of it!
Evening @PenguinMum.

Why was it on the menu then? Surely hospital caterers could have anticipated the situation and provided your friend with a cheese salad at the very least!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of all things for a hospital caterer to run out of - potatoes. They must know that most people in their care will want some kind of potato with a meal and, therefore have plenty in stock. Or is there a potato shortage - I did hear something about poor potato crops a week or so ago.

When I was in the Maternity hospital in 1967, having Neil, I was vegetarian and had asked for a specifically veggie diet (no problem, I was told). When it came to it, the dietician was on holiday so the kitchen had no idea what to send up for me, so sent - nothing at all. Even on the day that everyone else had a cheesde salad. I was there for five days and for each meal, the nurses had to hard boil an egg for me - that's 15 hard boiled eggs plus 25 cups of tea and 10 biscuits. I was pretty sick of hard boiled eggs by the time I signed myself (and Neil) out of the hospital. There was never enough water to drink either - no wonder I had very little milk for Neil.
Dear me. Well, at least something's improved.since then @Annb. In hospitals these days, there are water coolers and dispensers everywhere you look!