A

Avocado Sevenfold

Good idea. It would be an easy meal to turn into a vegan one.

I think I might be eating a lot of beansprouts from now on in lieu of noodles.

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

That's a great recipe, Claire. I have a stockpile of tinned beans - cannellini, kidney, chickpeas and also dried green lentils. I am a total noob and am a bit scared of using them now. Was heartened to see you using them so will give them a go (sparingly)

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
That's a great recipe, Claire. I have a stockpile of tinned beans - cannellini, kidney, chickpeas and also dried green lentils. I am a total noob and am a bit scared of using them now. Was heartened to see you using them so will give them a go (sparingly)

Thanks. I hope you like the enchiladas :D. I was the same. I used to make chilli all the time before my diet (I love Mexican food), but then I was wary of the carbs when I started, so I skipped the chilli. It turned out that it was the beans I used. Kidney beans are pretty high carb, so those ones you want to use really sparingly. But Haricot beans are really low carb with all that fibre in them, so they're a great filler bean. Canelloni beans seem to be on the high side (use sparingly), but the three bean salad from Tesco is low carb mix that is high in fibre overall. (I haven't worked out which bean was the lowest carb in that tin. I only found it yesterday). But I was so happy when I found some beans I could use. You can bulk out the recipe with beans like haricots and use ones like kidney beans sparingly for variety. I bet there are hundreds of great recipes that can be made from them. :)

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

I will be sure to pick up some haricot beans next time. Thanks!

I made a lovely dinner last night. This was my main course...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2056/cheesy-autumn-mushrooms

I used feta and dried thyme and forgot to toast the walnuts. Apart from that, I followed the recipe to the letter lol Served it on rocket with asparagus and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

For dessert I made Coconut Cranachan. It should contain whisky, oats and honey. My version contained...

Double cream
Jack Daniels
Raspberries
1 tbsp desiccated coconut mixed with
1 tbsp ground flax seed

Whip the cream and stir in a glug of Jack. Put raspberries in a serving dish, top with cream, add coconut and flax mixture and top with more raspberries. It contained flax so it must be healthy :angelic:

Last edited:

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
I will be sure to pick up some haricot beans next time. Thanks!

I made a lovely dinner last night. This was my main course...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2056/cheesy-autumn-mushrooms

I used feta and dried thyme and forgot to toast the walnuts. Apart from that, I followed the recipe to the letter lol Served it on rocket with asparagus and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

For dessert I made Coconut Cranachan. It should contain whisky, oats and honey. My version contained...

Double cream
Jack Daniels
Raspberries
1 tbsp desiccated coconut mixed with
1 tbsp ground flax seed

Whip the cream and stir in a glug of Jack. Put raspberries in a serving dish, top with cream, add coconut and flax mixture and top with more raspberries. It contained flax so it must be healthy :angelic:

Glad I could help. I'll have to try out that recipe. It looks great :D And the Coconut Cranachan sounds lovely, although I'd probably ditch the JD. Flax is amazing on nutrients, and I've been trying to find a use for it lol.

At Christmas I made a similar style pavlova. Low carb meringues, whipped double cream and raspberries. It was so much nicer than the ones I used to buy. :D

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I know this will need a bit of adapting but l think the bulk of this counts as low carb ... hope so cause l posted it in good faith it could be adapted with my cooking skills wouldn't try adapt but l know folks here can :)
** comments from me**
MID
.....................................................................................................................................................................................

Non-Bake Amarula Cheesecake

Ingredients(Makes a 9-inch round cheesecake)

200 grams digestive biscuits **maybe rich tea someone someplace on the forum said lower carb and you don't have to eat the base :-D**
100 grams butter, melted
200 ml whipping cream(very cold)
150 ml Amarula cream liqueur
4 teaspoon gelatine powder **people on here seem to use it so must be ok**
500 grams cream cheese, softened to room temperature
130 grams caster sugar **some sort of substitute**
30 grams dark chocolate, melted **l eat Lindt 90% very low carbs**

Preparation Instructions

Step 1: Using a food processor, process the digestives into sandy crumbs. Alternatively, if you don’t have a food processor, you can put them in a big bowl and crush them slowly with a glass. So therapeutic!

Step 2: Melt the butter over a low heat, then add the melted butter into the cookie crumbs. Stir till combined. The texture of this should be a little like damp sand.

Step 3: Press the butter and biscuit crumb mixture into a 9-inch springform pan to form an even layer. I learnt that putting a cake base in place of a springform pan base under the pan rim is more effective, especially if you mean to give the cake as a gift! No fuss over transfer of the cake! Pop this crust layer in the freezer while you prepare the other ingredients.

Step 4: Whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Be very careful with this step, because it took me about 3 cartons of whipping cream and a conversation with a chef before I FINALLY learnt how to whip cream correctly. The key is simply to freeze all the equipment beforehand (i.e the beaters and mixing bowl) as everything needs to be extremely cold to prevent the cream from splitting into butter. My other secret is to whip the cream over a bowl of iced water. Also, make very sure not to over-beat.

Step 5: Place the liqueur in a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatine powder all over the surface. Leave this to stand for 3 minutes. Following this, place the small bowl in a pan/pot of simmering water, heating gently while constantly stirring till ALL the gelatine has dissolved into the liqueur.

Step 6: Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and cream cheese until light and fluffy (texture as shown in the picture).

Step 7: Strain the gelatine and liqueur mixture into the cream cheese and sugar mixture, mixing gently with a spatula.

Step 8: Fold in the whipped cream gently, making sure that everything is well-incorporated.

Step 9: Remove the springform pan containing the crust from the freezer. Pour all of the mixture onto the crust and smooth it out with a spatula.

Step 10: Melt the dark chocolate in the same way that the gelatine was previously melted – put the chocolate into a small bowl over simmering water. The rationale for this is to prevent the chocolate from burning! Once the chocolate has melted, scoop 10 cent-sized dollops of it over the cream cheese mixture. Using a skewer/toothpick, make random swirls all over the cake, taking care not to remove the skewer/toothpick till you are done swirling. ...

Step 11: Refrigerate the cake for a minimum of 5 hours, but preferably overnight to ensure that it is fully set. When ready to serve: dip a palette knife into hot water and dry it. Run the palette knife along the edges of the cheesecake and remove the pan rim gently.

…Aaaand here we have an effortlessly beautiful, creamy, boozy and comforting cheesecake with a hint of crunch. How’s THAT for dessert?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks. I hope you like the enchiladas :D. I was the same. I used to make chilli all the time before my diet (I love Mexican food), but then I was wary of the carbs when I started, so I skipped the chilli. It turned out that it was the beans I used. Kidney beans are pretty high carb, so those ones you want to use really sparingly. But Haricot beans are really low carb with all that fibre in them, so they're a great filler bean. Canelloni beans seem to be on the high side (use sparingly), but the three bean salad from Tesco is low carb mix that is high in fibre overall. (I haven't worked out which bean was the lowest carb in that tin. I only found it yesterday). But I was so happy when I found some beans I could use. You can bulk out the recipe with beans like haricots and use ones like kidney beans sparingly for variety. I bet there are hundreds of great recipes that can be made from them. :)

Hi again Claire

I got some haricot beans and am planning a kind of vegetable and bean cajun stew. I have googled my brain into a knot today looking at the carbs. From what I have read, it looks like the carbs stated on the (UK) tin are net carbs with the fibre already subtracted. In the USA, they state the total carbs and you subtract the fibre yourself to get the net carbs. And they call them navy beans to confuse me further lol This would make the tin of beans approximately 21g net. Is this right? :confused:

Anyway, beany cajun stew it is, bulked out with a load of mushrooms, peppers and courgettes and covered in cheddar. Will divide up and take it for lunch in my new food flask. Thanks for the inspiration :woot:

JustDomUK

I have to say, I'm not a cook but I've just spent twenty minutes on the www.philadelphia.co.uk and I'm amazed at how many low carb suggestions there are. You can't specify low carb but if you select vegetables and full fat philly as your filter, you get 100s of great recipes. We are having pork chops with Philly mustard sauce and veg tomorrow :) the site has given my mrs inspiration and she is tweaking the recipes. Total carbs 8.5 per portion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 people

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
I know this will need a bit of adapting but l think the bulk of this counts as low carb ... hope so cause l posted it in good faith it could be adapted with my cooking skills wouldn't try adapt but l know folks here can :)

Thanks for this. I'm going to try the topping.

This might help on the base. I made a low carb cheesecake base and it tastes like a normal cheese cake base without the carbs, but my topping still needs work. I might combine my base with your topping ^^.

Here's the base I used.

Cheese Cake Base:
  • 1 cup almond meal
  • 2 tbsp melted butter
  • 2 tbsp sugar equivalent (I used splenda)
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 375F (190C)
  • Combine crust ingredients in bowl and add to 8.5″ cake pan. Flatten across bottom of the pan. NOTE: If you’d like to have the crust run up the sides of the pan as well, triple the quantity of the ingredients for the crust.
  • Bake crust on its own for 8-10 minutes (until browned)

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Hi again Claire

I got some haricot beans and am planning a kind of vegetable and bean cajun stew. I have googled my brain into a knot today looking at the carbs. From what I have read, it looks like the carbs stated on the (UK) tin are net carbs with the fibre already subtracted. In the USA, they state the total carbs and you subtract the fibre yourself to get the net carbs. And they call them navy beans to confuse me further lol This would make the tin of beans approximately 21g net. Is this right? :confused:

Anyway, beany cajun stew it is, bulked out with a load of mushrooms, peppers and courgettes and covered in cheddar. Will divide up and take it for lunch in my new food flask. Thanks for the inspiration :woot:

In the UK, they list dietry fibre, so I assume it's not subtracted from the carbohydrates. I tend to subtract the fibre. Let me know if I'm wrong on that, it'll change all my recipes! I've got haricot beans at 2g carbs per can!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi again Claire

Yes, kidney and haricot are a similar bean,
Kidney beans are 18g carbs per 100g, with 6g fibre,
Haricot are 15g with 7g fibre,

Others
Mung, 15 and 5
Flageolet 12 and 6
Borlotti 12 and 6
Butterbean 15 and 5

All UK standard, not US.

Generally they're much the same.
Varies a bit on the brands, and the tinning.
Try Flageolet or borlotti for the lowest carbs though.
I've got a cupboard full of them, I live on beans.

(As for the recipe for enchiladas, the wrap is 3g carbs, and the salsa is about 3.5 for a sixth of the jar, so that's already 1.5g above the claimed 5g each, before any of the beans, onion, avocado.
Haricot beans are about 36g per 240g can, go the same for the 3 beans, 6 for the kidney beans, 20g in the salsa, and about 10g for the onion and avocado.
So, 108g for the 6, or 18g each, + the 3 for the wrap, I make each one about 21g net carbs, not 5g)

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Avocado Sevenfold

In the UK, they list dietry fibre, so I assume it's not subtracted from the carbohydrates. I tend to subtract the fibre. Let me know if I'm wrong on that, it'll change all my recipes! I've got haricot beans at 2g carbs per can!

Oh no. I dunno. Please don't take my word for it as I am a complete noob! lol I decided to err on the side of caution and use the higher figure for my cajun stew. After dividing it into 4 portions (one for dinner and 3 for the freezer) it ended up at approx 13g of carbs per portion which I think is not bad. With leaves and cheese it was a great, filling meal.

Hi Douglas - I love beans and lentils too and hope to work my way slowly through my stockpile. My bg was not upset by the beans which was a relief.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Oh no. I dunno. Please don't take my word for it as I am a complete noob! lol I decided to err on the side of caution and use the higher figure for my cajun stew. After dividing it into 4 portions (one for dinner and 3 for the freezer) it ended up at approx 13g of carbs per portion which I think is not bad. With leaves and cheese it was a great, filling meal.

Hi Douglas - I love beans and lentils too and hope to work my way slowly through my stockpile. My bg was not upset by the beans which was a relief.

They're a low GI food, they don't raise my bs badly.
I don't low carb particuarly, but I count calories, so I need to know what's in everything I eat, and I always used to test everything with my meter initially.
A three bean chilli, and curry for that matter, has been on my menu for a while.
I avoid processed food, so wouldn't use the Dorito salsa, (homemade instead) and prefer corn tortillas to low carb wheat.
Also, the hotter the better! Fresh chili pepper!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

They're a low GI food, they don't raise my bs badly.
I don't low carb particuarly, but I count calories, so I need to know what's in everything I eat, and I always used to test everything with my meter initially.
A three bean chilli, and curry for that matter, has been on my menu for a while.
I avoid processed food, so wouldn't use the Dorito salsa, (homemade instead) and prefer corn tortillas to low carb wheat.
Also, the hotter the better! Fresh chili pepper!

I am keeping an eye on my carbs and ignoring calories for now. I have my second fasting test on Tuesday. My weekly average is now down to 7 so a big improvement already on the lchf.

Just had a fab lunch here at my desk. Maybe not great calorie wise....guacamole with chunks of chopped up Quorn family roast, an ounce of brazil nuts and fizzy water. Here is the (highly recommended) recipe for guacamole if anyone is interested...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9088/bestever-chunky-guacamole

(I better stop skiving now!)

JustDomUK

Ok forgive me if anyone has posted this recipe but we had it tonight and it was ace.

I didn't cook this but I ate it. It's top notch. It's not our own.

Home made doner kebab

500g lamb mince
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp Italian herb mix (or mixed herbs)
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper

Mix the lamb mince with the oregano, Italian herb mix, garlic, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
Shape the mixture into a meat loaf. Success is all in the mixing so you can use a blender. Make the mixture smooth. Hit it a few times to get rid of any air pockets, this avoids it being dry or crumbling. Put the mixture into a slow cooker for 3 to 4 hours on high or 5 to 7 on low. Slice thinly and serve.

Carb content is what you would find in the herbs and spices.

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours

Hi again :)

I checked and it seems to depend on the label. Some list 'Dietary fibre' inside the carbohydrate, so in that instance, I believe you can remove the fibre from the carb because it's stating that the fibre is included inside the carbs. If fibre is listed alone, then it gets a bit confusing. That must be the UK label. I'm no expert either. One thing though, beans are slow burning carbs, so they don't have the same effect on blood sugar levels as the regular kind. It might be worth checking your level though before embracing beans :).

I tried out the cheesecake with the almond base today, and it was totally moreish :D Thanks for that!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi again :)

I checked and it seems to depend on the label. Some list 'Dietary fibre' inside the carbohydrate, so in that instance, I believe you can remove the fibre from the carb because it's stating that the fibre is included inside the carbs. If fibre is listed alone, then it gets a bit confusing. That must be the UK label. I'm no expert either. One thing though, beans are slow burning carbs, so they don't have the same effect on blood sugar levels as the regular kind. It might be worth checking your level though before embracing beans :).

I tried out the cheesecake with the almond base today, and it was totally moreish :D Thanks for that!

Happy to explain further if you need more help.
I may not be an expert, but I've done this for at least two years.
No matter how you read the label, a bean's a bean.

Worth changing your 5g to 21g on your website though, and advising they're low GI, not low carb, in case you accidently mislead people.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi Claire and Douglas,

Thanks for taking the time too look into the beans question. If it helps, I got an app called "Low carb diet assistant". For haricot beans is reckons,

Beans, navy, mature seeds, canned 100g - net carbs 15.4g (20.4g total carb - 5g fibre)

Reactions: 3 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

In other news, I got a new recipe book today. I am beyond excited lol. It is called

"Low-carb & gluten-free vegetarian" by Celia Brooks. My eyes are on stalks looking at all the amazing photos!

Reactions: 2 people