Tiredness..

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For breakfast i have porridge and sometimes go ahead bars, lunch is usually a sandwhich crisps and fruit and dinner is usually whatever my dad/stepmum cooks but its usually something with chips and i dont usually eat the chips because im fed up with them ha!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
No wonder you are tired. If I were you I would start at looking into diet as that seems to be a lot of carbs!

I still think it is a good thing to test for other autoimmune things though.

D

Deleted member 83869

No wonder you are tired. If I were you I would start at looking into diet as that seems to be a lot of carbs!

I still think it is a good thing to test for other autoimmune things though.
I have no choice with the dinner option and yeah i know it is i was trying slim fast but that just kept making me dizzy i then was eating rice for lunch but that got boring i dont know what to do and ive got such a sweet tooth and im a sucker for comfort eating!:(

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
For breakfast i have porridge and sometimes go ahead bars, lunch is usually a sandwhich crisps and fruit and dinner is usually whatever my dad/stepmum cooks but its usually something with chips and i dont usually eat the chips because im fed up with them ha!

If your bs are good, you are obviously ok with this.
I'm ok with porridge as well.

Crisps are a bit too high fat for me, fruit is ok though. I am trying to lose weight on my diet though.
But generally, crisps aren't a healthy snack.
Dinner I tend to eat a lot of veg, no chips though.
I thin maybe you need to eat more,

More veg, more classic healthy food, more fish, more fruit, vittamins, minerals.
Unless you are trying to lose weight.
Balance your calorie intake to your expenditure.

But above all, don't eat food that spikes your bs, and eat to your meter.

edit - just re-read your first post, is your bs normally 8 to 10, as that's high for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 83869

If your bs are good, you are obviously ok with this.
I'm ok with porridge as well.

Crisps are a bit too high fat for me, fruit is ok though. I am trying to lose weight on my diet though.
But generally, crisps aren't a healthy snack.
Dinner I tend to eat a lot of veg, no chips though.
I thin maybe you need to eat more,

More veg, more classic healthy food, more fish, more fruit, vittamins, minerals.
Unless you are trying to lose weight.
Balance your calorie intake to your expenditure.

But above all, don't eat food that spikes your bs, and eat to your meter.

edit - just re-read your first post, is your bs normally 8 to 10, as that's high for me?
The crisps i eat are like less than 2% fat but i do eat chocolate more than i should :/ and i am trying to lose weight too its just hard!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l suggest first you get blood tests if there is no underlying cause look at diet.
The majority here go low carb high fat as their eating plan. ... (que douglas moaning)

You though have to start taking control as someone said. Not your mother stepfather uncle Tom Cobbly and all.
Only you will sort yourself out.. have a good read of the low carb forum (if no underlying problem) and if after reading the that decide you want to do it or mediterranian but noone here can do it only advise and support...it is your stomach your life....your excuses

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
l suggest first you get blood tests if there is no underlying cause look at diet.
The majority here go low carb high fat as their eating plan. ... (que douglas moaning)

You though have to start taking control as someone said. Not your mother stepfather uncle Tom Cobbly and all.
Only you will sort yourself out.. have a good read of the low carb forum (if no underlying problem) and if after reading the that decide you want to do it or mediterranian but noone here can do it only advise and support...it is your stomach your life....your excuses

There's a variety of diets, not everything suits all. lchf are quite vocal over theirs, I must agree.

D

Deleted member 83869

Okay and i know theres just a lot going on and i get stressed/depressed and turn to good when i know i shouldnt!! And sitting at a desk all day doesnt help :( can you link me to any of the forums?:)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What diet if any do you use or go by? :)

Low fat, portion controlled, low gi.

Whatever gives me good bs, usually in the 5's to 6's.
I don't eat saturated fat.
I don't eat pasta, rice, potatoes, but I do eat a lot of veg, pulses, low fat yoghurt, salad, lean meat, fish,
When I was diagnosed, I tested everything I ate, to come up with foods that didn't cause a rise in my bs.
I went on a low fat diet to lose weight, which greatly improved my insulin resistance.
I'm just about at my ideal weight, so I have introduced a bit more fat, about 33% of fat, protein, carbs, by calories, but remember fat has twice the calories per gram of the other two.
It works for me, I have got my bs down, I don't feel tired all the time, and I don't feel hungry.

D

Deleted member 83869

I don't eat pasta, rice, potatoes, but I do eat a lot of veg, pulses, low fat yoghurt, salad, lean meat, fish,
When I was diagnosed, I tested everything I ate, to come up with foods that didn't cause a rise in my bs.
I went on a low fat diet to lose weight, which greatly improved my insulin resistance.
I'm just about at my ideal weight, so I have introduced a bit more fat, about 33% of fat, protein, carbs, by calories, but remember fat has twice the calories per gram of the other two.
It works for me, I have got my bs down, I don't feel tired all the time, and I don't feel hungry.
I think maybe the real reason for my tiredness is my diabetes then :/ since i was diagnosed in 2008 i have had life threatening dka 3 times and my hba1c is still over 10 it was 14 but my last check it was 12, its not given me a kick up the butt! Ive improved slightly but not as much as i should i see all these posts about people like you guys eating so well and healthy and i think to myself i want to do that, and i do but i only stick to it for about a week, i guess having depression and feeling like you have no one doesnt really help....i dont know but yeah! Sorry for the essay!!

D

Deleted member 83869

I think maybe the real reason for my tiredness is my diabetes then :/ since i was diagnosed in 2008 i have had life threatening dka 3 times and my hba1c is still over 10 it was 14 but my last check it was 12, its not given me a kick up the butt! Ive improved slightly but not as much as i should i see all these posts about people like you guys eating so well and healthy and i think to myself i want to do that, and i do but i only stick to it for about a week, i guess having depression and feeling like you have no one doesnt really help....i dont know but yeah! Sorry for the essay!!

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

High bs definitely made me feel tired. It was the reason I went to the doctors in the first place. When I got my bs under control, I felt so much better, It took me a long while to come to that moment, but it was worth it.
Find a diet that suits you, get your bs down, and you'll want to keep it there.

C

catherinecherub

Have you had any education about carb counting and insulin requirements?

You really need the help of a Type1 to explain about what you need to do with regard to diet. I hope someone can help you. Why not start a new post asking other Type1's for help?

Depression and constant pain from your scoliosis could be the cause of your tiredness. Is there a family member that you can speak to? I am sure that your mum dying so young did not help and you could try asking for some psychological help. Your DN should be able to arrange this for you.

I do feel for you.

CC

D

Deleted member 83869

You really need the help of a Type1 to explain about what you need to do with regard to diet. I hope someone can help you. Why not start a new post asking other Type1's for help?

Depression and constant pain from your scoliosis could be the cause of your tiredness. Is there a family member that you can speak to? I am sure that your mum dying so young did not help and you could try asking for some psychological help. Your DN should be able to arrange this for you.

I do feel for you.

CC
Yes plenty i went on a week's course i know how it works and even my blood glucose meter works out my carbs and insulin. And i have tried councilling once and i didnt like it the thought of talking to someone face to face i dont know i just hated it made me feel uncomfortable and yes its stupid because i can do it perfectly fine over a screen but not in person and i dont know why :/

D

Deleted member 83869

High bs definitely made me feel tired. It was the reason I went to the doctors in the first place. When I got my bs under control, I felt so much better, It took me a long while to come to that moment, but it was worth it.
Find a diet that suits you, get your bs down, and you'll want to keep it there.
I best get to it then! I owe it to my boyfriend really and well myself! He worries so much about me and my health!

D

Deleted member 83869

I do feel for you.

CC
Helllo, I made a post but no one has bothered to reply! And it has had 11 views! :( :shifty::sorry:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know there are a lot of type 1s who do LCHF or at least low-carb. Have a look around! They usually loose weight along with better bg control.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nicola, the reason that some of us including me haven't replied is that you ask specifically about low carb and T1.
Personally, it's not something I do have good diabetes control.

I've only just scanned this thread but I agree that it's a good idea that you are having your thyroid checked since that can apparently make people feel depressed. My main symptom before diagnosis with hypothyroid was a lack of motivation. Thirty percent of women with T1 also have autoimmune thyroid problems so it's certainly a possibility.

Your HbA1c though is very high and high glucose levels can certainly also make you feel tired and as you know can lead to all sorts of other problems including DKA but also future ones.

I think that it's essential to make sure that you are using the correct basal and bolus rates . If these aren't right, they you can't hope to get reasonably levels however well you carb count and whatever you decide to eat.

It might be a good idea to do a diary for a few days. It's a hassle but it does help to sort out patterns.
Include fasting levels, before meal readings, 2hour post meal readings and bedtime readings.
Include times and doses for both basal and bolus insulins
Include what you eat (for absolute perfection weigh the starchy carbs and write down how many carbs that amounts to... again a hassle but it's sometimes hard to guess portion size)
If you do any exercise etc put that in as well.
Doing this may help you to see where you are having problems. If you feel able to then post the diary in a thread. I think you'll find many more replies and people eager to help.

Lastly, just a little warning. Your levels are high and you've had them this way for some time. It is probably better not to try to fix things overnight. The reason for this is that reducing levels quickly can cause any background retinopathy to worsen The normal advice from doctors is that it's safer to do it gradually, over a period of months.

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted member 83869

Nicola, the reason that some of us including me haven't replied is that you ask specifically about low carb and T1.
Personally, it's not something I do have good diabetes control.

I've only just scanned this thread but I agree that it's a good idea that you are having your thyroid checked since that can apparently make people feel depressed. My main symptom before diagnosis with hypothyroid was a lack of motivation. Thirty percent of women with T1 also have autoimmune thyroid problems so it's certainly a possibility.

Your HbA1c though is very high and high glucose levels can certainly also make you feel tired and as you know can lead to all sorts of other problems including DKA but also future ones.

I think that it's essential to make sure that you are using the correct basal and bolus rates . If these aren't right, they you can't hope to get reasonably levels however well you carb count and whatever you decide to eat.

It might be a good idea to do a diary for a few days. It's a hassle but it does help to sort out patterns.
Include fasting levels, before meal readings, 2hour post meal readings and bedtime readings.
Include times and doses for both basal and bolus insulins
Include what you eat (for absolute perfection weigh the starchy carbs and write down how many carbs that amounts to... again a hassle but it's sometimes hard to guess portion size)
If you do any exercise etc put that in as well.
Doing this may help you to see where you are having problems. If you feel able to then post the diary in a thread. I think you'll find many more replies and people eager to help.

Lastly, just a little warning. Your levels are high and you've had them this way for some time. It is probably better not to try to fix things overnight. The reason for this is that reducing levels quickly can cause any background retinopathy to worsen The normal advice from doctors is that it's safer to do it gradually, over a period of months.
Hello, Thank you for your reply, I do agree with you! That last Hba1c was last September/October and I am due another test soon! I know it is coming down though! And my levels have improved probably not how they should be but I'm getting there, its just the sticking to it! I do hate myself at times for not sticking to being good! And I will start a diary, should I do that on a new thread?

I also would like to exercise but with my scoliosis and sciatica it seems impossible at the moment :(

I think maybe the main thing I really need is support