Dec 2014 update: New research on the Low Carb Diet in general practice

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm really glad to have come across this forum and also look forward to seeing the results when published. I'm a dietitian from the south coast NSW and have been using a lower carb approach for clients with insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome for over 10 years. Before that I followed the usual 'healthy eating' guidelines but the personal experience of having a child with a weight problem changed everything for me. She was diagnosed with IR at 14 yo and has been eating low carb for the last 6-7 years. I have the support of GPs in my area because of the results they see in their clients but unfortunately the most negative responses come from dietitians. There may be more who use low carb but are not open about it because they are unwilling to face the backlash.

Hi welcome to the forum, it's not often we see a dietitian who's prepared to go against the grain and promote low carb. There are many of us here who can testify to the benefits.
Hope to see posting more in the future:)

Reactions: 4 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm really glad to have come across this forum and also look forward to seeing the results when published. I'm a dietitian from the south coast NSW and have been using a lower carb approach for clients with insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome for over 10 years. Before that I followed the usual 'healthy eating' guidelines but the personal experience of having a child with a weight problem changed everything for me. She was diagnosed with IR at 14 yo and has been eating low carb for the last 6-7 years. I have the support of GPs in my area because of the results they see in their clients but unfortunately the most negative responses come from dietitians. There may be more who use low carb but are not open about it because they are unwilling to face the backlash.
THANKYOU so much for that I know I have had two letters already from 'dismayed ' dieticians and my work isn't even published till Monday ! I'm confused as to why they are so unhappy by a story of 18 people improving their lives with a low carb diet Better HbA1c better BP better cholesterol better weight !!

Reactions: 18 people

Janiept

Expert
Presumably because their long held beliefs are being challenged and they will have to adapt to a different system.
People just don't like change!

Reactions: 2 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a dietitian from the south coast NSW and have been using a lower carb approach for clients with insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome for over 10 years.
That's brilliant news! I lived for a while in a part of Australia rather less open to change (FNQ) and was told the only possible diet was low GI because it had been invented at University of Queensland. Since following it entailed absolutely no change to my eating pattern I did follow it for a while, with a predictable lack of change in my BG. Keep up the good work!

Kate

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
have i entered the twilight zone? a doctor AND a dietitian that believe in low carbing, both living in the same dimension as normal folks??? somebody pinch me

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Mushroom

Looking forward to the research but think it will tell me what I already now. I have been LCHF for over two years. Cholesterol went up initially but now total is down. Trigs down and HDL up at latest review. I also believe blood sugars would improve with loss of weight and smaller portions if you are overweight. However, the fat in the diet helps you feel full, cravings reduced and easy to do because don't really need to count calories/carbs - easy. Have just posted that my DSN is surprised/pleased at my stats and asked me what I eat on LCHF. She seems open to listening as she doesn't seem to be getting very far with getting the majority of her patients to improve their own results. This forum gave me the confidence to 'go against' NHS recommendations for carbs with every meal.

Reactions: 4 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Looking forward to the research but think it will tell me what I already now. I have been LCHF for over two years. Cholesterol went up initially but now total is down. Trigs down and HDL up at latest review. I also believe blood sugars would improve with loss of weight and smaller portions if you are overweight. However, the fat in the diet helps you feel full, cravings reduced and easy to do because don't really need to count calories/carbs - easy. Have just posted that my DSN is surprised/pleased at my stats and asked me what I eat on LCHF. She seems open to listening as she doesn't seem to be getting very far with getting the majority of her patients to improve their own results. This forum gave me the confidence to 'go against' NHS recommendations for carbs with every meal.

we already know the truth (as we believe it) its exciting because others will learn about how good it is, thats why its so good :) just being given the opportunity to try it would be terrific step imo

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
THANKYOU so much for that I know I have had two letters already from 'dismayed ' dieticians and my work isn't even published till Monday ! I'm confused as to why they are so unhappy by a story of 18 people improving their lives with a low carb diet Better HbA1c better BP better cholesterol better weight !!
Will it be published so that anyone can read it or just the abstract for us on here? I feel I might need some evidence of LCHF for my DSN to take notice. I will see her on Thursday.

I also hope you are in contact with Dr Eenfeldt. He will want to read your article as soon as possible. I am sure you are in contact with the Dietdoctor, aren't you?

Mushroom

we already know the truth (as we believe it) its exciting because others will learn about how good it is, thats why its so good :) just being given the opportunity to try it would be terrific step imo
The change regarding eating fat is already coming. Article in the Daily Mail today about fat and sugar consumption and obesity hits the nail on the head.

wizardo

We didn't as the volunteers were interested in the lchf diet and liked not having to weigh anything, I think it's fair to say they had mostly tried calorie counting in the past . One of them explained 'a diet is a thing you are on and so eventually come off, thelow carb approach is not a diet but a way of life ' which I think put it rather well

When I was diagnosed over a year ago, I went on a pretty well zero carb, high fat diet. Plenty of vegetables and berries in the evening. Lost about 3 stone and the diabetic nurse was shocked to see my bg go from 15 to 6.5. Incidentally, I was swimming/gyming virtually every day. Bear in mind that you can replace the flab with muscle and stop the weight loss. Benefit of this is to reduce insulin resistance. One problem that I do have is that my cholesterol levels have gone up considerably. The diabetic nurse has prescribed statins which I'm not too keen on. I'm not impressed with the diabetic nurses their knowledge of chemistry/biology seems to be sub GCSE. Maybe someone on here might provide me with an idea why with lowering my bg my cholesterol has increased significantly.

Borninafrica

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Inept GPs who insist on writing prescriptions to treat symptoms instead of searching for the cause and who, when faced with a Patient upset with his treatment, Poo-poos his fears with the stock phrase 'Lose weight and you'll be fine.'
Looking through the forum I was sorry to hear how some of you met a rather closed response from your health professionals .About a year ago I began working with a group of 19 pre-diabetic and type two diabetic patients (insulin dependant patients were not included) who were interested in maximising the benefits of a good diet and wanted to try a lower carb, higher fat diet. I thought if I could get the work published by a reputable peer reviewed journal you would then have something to share with your doctors,nurses and dieticians. I am particularly interested in the goal of maximising the effect of diet BEFORE starting medication and find many patients agree.
I have just heard the work is to be published in March. The idea is that after the article is published by Practical Diabetes it will be free to view for you all

THE RESULTS : Weight and HbA1c down significantly ,also improvements in blood pressure,liver function tests and interestingly cholesterol despite a diet higher in fats (coconut oil ,butter,olive oil and lots of eggs) Publication is due in a few weeks will see then if I can upload an abstract and a link to the entire thing. Over the last year I have come to feel that the starch in bread, pasta (even whole meal) rice and potatoes is actually concentrated sugar, with a higher glycemic index than table sugar itself. So no surprise that diabetics may struggle to deal with these items in their diet. It seems to me that HOWEVER any particular patient looses weight their diabetes improves. This can lead to some rather stark choices between weight loss and medication!

Going 'online' has its pitfalls. last year my children thought it was hilarious that some of you thought I was a troll, that has now been sorted out. Another is that it's not really ethical for a doctor to give specific advice which is why I cannot answer questions relating to an individual case -sorry. My hope was that the work could help inform the debate between people with diabetes and the health professionals who care for them.
Thank goodness something is being put out there for GPs to pay attention to. From my experience, it seems as though GPs are satisfied with treating the symptoms and not interested in looking after the actual 'health' of their patients. Had I been fortunate enough to have an enlightened GP nine years ago, I, hopefully, wouldn't have spent my life swallowing ever more drugs to treat every symptom that is a precursor of Type 2. Am about to embark on a lifestyle of LCHF. So much conversation out there about diet and lifestyle changes that bring about positive change in Type 2. A book that made a lot of sense for me and is what I'm basing my LCHF way of eating is 'The Real Meal Revolution' by Prof Tim Noakes. He is also Type 2. I look forward to reading your research. Thank you, Nigel.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Wizardo l am similar you need to get a breakdown of your cholestrol. lf you do a google for low carb high fat and cholestrol. If like me your profile will follow that.
The LDL goes big and fluffy and acts as a cleaner on carbs it is tight sticky and dangerous.
the only way to tell what ldl you have is a more expensive test but l am happy that as my profile matches what papers and others say l have safe cholestrol.
l also remember reading that it takes at least 6 months for cholestrol to come down.
And also it isnt cholestrol that is counted but the carriers of it. Every time l read a bit more my head swims a bit more but it is actually quite interesting subject. Sorry l am not good at explaining it but as l say google but make sure you have your full numbers

Oh and l flatly refuse statins the dn was interested in all the cholestrol info l took in the other day for my check up

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've lost a lot of weight on lchf. I've got to see the diabetes nurse to explain the increase in my cholesterol levels. (6.9)
My trigs have decreased from 0.7 to 0.6, my HDL increased from 1.6 to 1.7.
Just looking at trigs and HDL i look good?
But apparently weight loss has a funny affect and the test shouldn't be taken seriously until you have had 6 months of maintained weight.
From my research on the web - no medical training.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
One problem that I do have is that my cholesterol levels have gone up considerably. The diabetic nurse has prescribed statins which I'm not too keen on. I'm not impressed with the diabetic nurses their knowledge of chemistry/biology seems to be sub GCSE. Maybe someone on here might provide me with an idea why with lowering my bg my cholesterol has increased significantly.
Do you know what your cholesterol ratio is? That's HDL as a proportion of total cholesterol. My GP put me on statins because my total cholesterol was high, but the consultant said they weren't necessary because my ratio was excellent.

Kate

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Will it be published so that anyone can read it or just the abstract for us on here? I feel I might need some evidence of LCHF for my DSN to take notice. I will see her on Thursday.

I also hope you are in contact with Dr Eenfeldt. He will want to read your article as soon as possible. I am sure you are in contact with the Dietdoctor, aren't you?
Thanks it was actually published in paper form today - I am negotiating for open access for you all, it would give you something to show your health care professionals and includes a diet sheet for discussion

Reactions: 7 people

Southport GP

Verified HCP
Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My main aim was to give you something in a proper peer reviewed journal article to back you up with your doctors nurses ,dieticians

Reactions: 7 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Thanks it was actually published in paper form today - I am negotiating for open access for you all, it would give you something to show your health care professionals and includes a diet sheet for discussion

Can you just put up the diet sheet if you can't get the paper up, that would be good to see.

Mushroom

My main aim was to give you something in a proper peer reviewed journal article to back you up with your doctors nurses ,dieticians
Saying 'but it won't tell me something I already know' didn't quite come over as intended. Not a criticism at all but I suppose I was trying to say that reading comments on here and actually practicing LCHF, it seems so obvious to me that it was going to work. I do find it difficult that DSNs don't seem to see this. There must be other LCHF patients showing results to their DSNs. Unfortunately, my DSN seems to have patients who don't attempt to control their BS even with diet and exercise in the early stages. Perhaps, that is her experience of what the majority of Type 2 patients are like.
At the end of the day, I make the final decision about what course of treatment I am happier following and that responsibility is mine alone. I am not afraid to voice my opinions to my DSN. However, not everyone feels that confident and your study will help people initiate that conversation with their health care team. Hope you are able to sort access for us on here.