Medic alert bracelets yay or nay!!!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I ordered mine from Amazon, leather, can't wear metal ones.
My consultant insists I wear one.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Circumstances for everyone can change and differ. I had a really serious hypo a few years and (tears) back....really serious.....

If I had my duk identity bracelet on then, even in hospital they would have realised.

After this teally bad hypo I sent a crate of wibe to my solicitors, cakes and wine to estate agents and a huge selection of cakes to a retailsr of glassses......

If I had worn something then, no matter what there would have been less stress and worry.

Please think of the worst scenario and multiply it by 100... And keeep yourselves safe...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Circumstances for everyone can change and differ. I had a really serious hypo a few years and (tears) back....really serious.....

If I had my duk identity bracelet on then, even in hospital they would have realised.

After this teally bad hypo I sent a crate of wibe to my solicitors, cakes and wine to estate agents and a huge selection of cakes to a retailsr of glassses......

If I had worn something then, no matter what there would have been less stress and worry.

Please think of the worst scenario and multiply it by 100... And keeep yourselves safe...

Why did you send items off to people??

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the neon plastic bracelets that scream medical condition - I must be an exhibitionist! In the past I've had tasteful bracelets from Ice Gems which I really like, and the good thing about them is they have more info and a phone number. On the other hand, I'm not sure a first responder needs more than the neon screamer. So I think I'll wear both!
In the end, you rely on other people to make sensible decisions on your behalf, so I'll cross my fingers too.
I've never gone down the road of Medic Alert with its annually updated medical info available. I've always balked at the price, but this thread has definitely made me think more than twice.

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to have medic alert, not sure where it is now.
I currently have silicon bands on both arms!

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am going to see the tattooist tomorrow and having a medic alert tattoo designed for me

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

Reactions: 3 people

caity.x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogance, Selfishness, Ignorance
There are some absolutely beautiful delicate looking ones. I have my silver more delicate one for dressing up and have ordered a modern funky looking one (made from paracord, available in sooo many colours) to wear at other times. Personally I think they're a great idea! :)

iHs

I think if travelling alone in a car, train or plane is done , then ideally some form of medical id is probably essential. I only got myself an id wristband when I started to use a pump. In all the years beforehand, I just had a cardboard id inside my purse.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have one but don't wear it as I was told by work colleges and a family member im just attention seeking wearing it :(

Idiots.:rolleyes:
It's purpose is to gain the attention of those who would save your life , if you were unfortunate enough to be in that position. Ignore them. It's their attitude and ignorance that needs adjusting.

Signy

Reactions: 9 people

caity.x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogance, Selfishness, Ignorance
I have one but don't wear it as I was told by work colleges and a family member im just attention seeking wearing it :(

How would they feel if you were to become unwell and nobody knew what was wrong? It's there to quite possibly save your life... Ignore silly comments, do what's right for you :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

Valaraki

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just ordered one for my son, more for my piece of mind that anything. Our compromise was that he could choose what he wanted at any cost...........thankfully the one he liked was only £25 but i would have paid whatever if he liked it.

mojo_101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

... You probably tried to explain already, but if they are not interested, it may be worth mentioning to Union or hr and your boss, as work have a legal responsibility to assess and cover health and safety risks. Sorry to hear about you family...

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
I wear a Medic Alert bracelet http://medicalert.ca been wearing one since I was 3 years of age - so never known life without it on my wrist. My wife I got her one as well for hir Birthday (After we got married) its saved hir life a few times since then (in the past 7 years) the EMTs and hospital staff have said that it is a life saver and they wish more people would get them (only issue with them is that they are not cheap and now their enrolment program for the ID - just makes me shake my head, since i was grandfathered into the system and I don't have to pay a yearly fee less I choose to do so - which I see no reason to do so). I've been toying with the idea of getting a rubber style bracelet that says Diabetic on it since I have to wear them anyhow for work (the company I work for has us wear them when were out and about on the job, I added a pride one to the mix last year and year before that a purple one [that says "I fight for someone with Epilepsy"])

To me they are a good idea, though depends on how much attention you might won't to draw to yourself and your work environment (mine wearing such things around students and teachers - no one tend to blink an eye, the few that do well they tend to recognize the various bracelets for what they represent without the words being necessary, I actually wear a Red FitBit Flex that I've had a few teachers remark on asking me what type of D i have, shrugs).

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got one from ICEID in a tasteful blue silicon band, matches the blue Diabetes circle just by chance.

Got it mainly for travel, work on site and exercising. If I'm found in a ditch knocked off my bike or having a hypo, at least people can phone home, and also have my medical status and my blood group.

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just bought this necklace (love that the cupcake slides across) https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/182426647/type-1-diabetes-stainless-yes-i-can-eat?ref=listing-2

... and this for my keyring: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/188195348/funny-type-1-diabetes-stamped-on-mirror?ref=listing-3

- I'm by myself a lot of the time (exercise, walking dogs, driving - plus live alone) so thought it was probably a good idea to have something with me that lets people know... but... I hate being reminded of it myself all the time (plus super-fed-up with people's comments re what I eat/look like etc at the mo) - so thought this was a happy medium :)

Would love to see the links to some of the other things peeps have found :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just to note that not all T2s may need a medic alert bracelet.

If you are not on potentially hypo inducing medication and have good control then it could be quite misleading.
If I am involved in an accident and/or pass out I don't want people assuming that I am either hyper or hypo and trying to treat that as a priority.

I can possibly see an argument for "out and proud" so diabetics can identify each other (hmmmm......Sugr app to meet other diabetics?) but in many cases it is likely to be a distraction from other causes.

Just my personal view.

Anyone likely to experience hyper or hypo symptoms should certainly consider wearing one.

LGC

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
Just to note that not all T2s may need a medic alert bracelet.

If you are not on potentially hypo inducing medication and have good control then it could be quite misleading.
If I am involved in an accident and/or pass out I don't want people assuming that I am either hyper or hypo and trying to treat that as a priority.

I can possibly see an argument for "out and proud" so diabetics can identify each other (hmmmm......Sugr app to meet other diabetics?) but in many cases it is likely to be a distraction from other causes.

Just my personal view.

Anyone likely to experience hyper or hypo symptoms should certainly consider wearing one.

LGC

Got news for ya hun, going into shock after an accident and the EMTs not knowing that your diabetic could cost you your life because your glucose levels drop to low well you never wake up from it (or end up with a seizure and they think your epileptic and start you on antiepleptic medication (that could actually make things way worse for you).

My own experience has not been that they check the D first yes, but only treat it if it shows signs that it needs treating other wise what ever else is going on take top deal over you having D as to causes for acadents ya it would be taken into consideration as having any medical condition would.

You don't also have to wear a ID that says Diabetic on it, just a medic alert band in general that is like the one we have here in Canada or is else where around the world - doesn't have to be glaring and out there that yells to the world your D. Mine doesn't by any means connect me to having D, I didn't even get mine because of D, I got it when i was 3 years of age because of another medical condition I have called Porphyria (AIP) and the LONG list of drug interactions that goes along with it plus other food issues and blood issues. My wife has one and she as well she doesn't have D she's epileptic and you only know it if you turn the bracelet over and read the info on the underside (her new one looks like a normal bracelet but EMT and medial personal know it for what it is - most other ppl take it for an interesting pice of jewerly and nothing more.

Drifter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I now wear a bracelet all the time. I've had it since I was in my teens but didn't want to draw attention to it (how silly!) now many years later I wear it all the time!

Occasionally people ask about it but not half as much as they do about the insulin pump on my belt!!!