Newbie - T2 diagnosed

kpsandown

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

Just had first appointment at surgery after two fasting BG results at 8.4 and 7.3. For the past 3/4 months have had a fair bit of stress (looking after three 90 year old parents) and also had cellulitis, cystitis, developed eye floaters and a bad chest cough. Good year so far!!

Could this have affected the BG results? One doctor said "possibly" and the diabetic nurse didn't know. Gives you confidence.

Had a HbA1c test today and results next Thursday. All I was told was that " I had it" (type 2 that is) and depending on the HbA1c result I may be on tablets, or possibly not.

Gave me a folder of information and talked briefly about diet. Only specific advice was to stop eating Fruit & Fibre cereal!

I must say there is a lot of conflicting information around.

Am considering getting a meter to check myself - would appreciate any advice on this.

Cheers, Keith

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All

Just had first appointment at surgery after two fasting BG results at 8.4 and 7.3. For the past 3/4 months have had a fair bit of stress (looking after three 90 year old parents) and also had cellulitis, cystitis, developed eye floaters and a bad chest cough. Good year so far!!

Could this have affected the BG results? One doctor said "possibly" and the diabetic nurse didn't know. Gives you confidence.

Had a HbA1c test today and results next Thursday. All I was told was that " I had it" (type 2 that is) and depending on the HbA1c result I may be on tablets, or possibly not.

Gave me a folder of information and talked briefly about diet. Only specific advice was to stop eating Fruit & Fibre cereal!

I must say there is a lot of conflicting information around.

Am considering getting a meter to check myself - would appreciate any advice on this.

Cheers, Keith
Do they not give T2's meters then? If not, I think that's awful. The strips cost a fortune. But well worth you getting one.

Good luck with everything.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,
I only joined yesterday myself. I was in the same position, being refused a Meter when asked. I just went out and bought one anyway. It empowers you, on your glucose levels. What you can eat and can't. If you can buy one from the internet the better. Mine is easy to use, avive nano, accu check. They certainly let you know. For me I have started out on low carbs, no longer eat low fat products and gone for full fat. Believe it or not, I have so much energy, brain has become sharper, back to the way it was. No longer feel tired or falling asleep.

Good luck
Heather

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
i was also redused a meter

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there,
I only joined yesterday myself. I was in the same position, being refused a Meter when asked. I just went out and bought one anyway. It empowers you, on your glucose levels. What you can eat and can't. If you can buy one from the internet the better. Mine is easy to use, avive nano, accu check. They certainly let you know. For me I have started out on low carbs, no longer eat low fat products and gone for full fat. Believe it or not, I have so much energy, brain has become sharper, back to the way it was. No longer feel tired or falling asleep.

Good luck
Heather
Oh my god, I think it's awful that you don't get given a meter. :(

kpsandown

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

Good luck
Heather[/QUOTE

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Keith, and welcome to the forum from me.

Very few of us are given meters. I was given a meter with a 50 strip cassette and 2 lancet drums (12 lancets). End of story, and I was lucky. Its all part of cost cutting.

kpsandown

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks Heather
Appreciate info on meter. Will definitely get one. Must admit I was a bit surprised by the DN, just gave me the booklet and said see you next week. No real advice.
Interesting comment about low/full fat - may mention this to the DN.
Cheers, Keith

Reactions: 6 people

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Keith, and welcome to the forum from me.

Very few of us are given meters. I was given a meter with a 50 strip cassette and 2 lancet drums (12 lancets). End of story, and I was lucky. Its all part of cost cutting.
I am absolutely shocked that T2's are treated like that. I know that they're trying to cut costs, but prevention rather than cure is the way I see it - poor diabetic control is dangerous, and it will cost the NHS so much more the more people that get serious diabetic damage. That could be prevented by giving you all meters and putting the strips and lancets on your repeat prescriptions.

I managed to get a free meter a few years ago, although I already had one from the diabetic clinic.

I'll have a look for the link for it now. It takes a while to arrive, but well worth it.

Meters themselves are not all that pricey, it's the lancets and strips that are expensive.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The NHS is digging itself into a hole because of the governments cuts, the government is taking £2billion out of the budget next year to implement a preventative pet project. The Tories are dismantling the NHS right in front of our eyes.

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am absolutely shocked that T2's are treated like that. I know that they're trying to cut costs, but prevention rather than cure is the way I see it - poor diabetic control is dangerous, and it will cost the NHS so much more the more people that get serious diabetic damage. That could be prevented by giving you all meters and putting the strips and lancets on your repeat prescriptions.

I managed to get a free meter a few years ago, although I already had one from the diabetic clinic.

I'll have a look for the link for it now. It takes a while to arrive, but well worth it.

Meters themselves are not all that pricey, it's the lancets and strips that are expensive.

Sorry guys, just looked at the freebie link and they won't issue the meters to non insulin regimes :(

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fret not Jenny. Most of us have bought our own and self fund the strips. Thanks for thinking of us though!
Ahh, that's ok.

I applied for one, but due to my location, they can't send me one because this area doesn't use the Onetouch meters anymore.

We're issued Wavesense Jazz ones now. They are much cheaper than the Onetouch ones.

I guess that's the NHS' doing again...

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also think it is down to cost as well. Their preference is the A1c test, which is fine for the average, but not for specific changes to food types. I think over reliant of the A1c, could potentially lead to complication, over the 2/3 months period. Does not highlight which foods could dangerously spike and over a particular length of time. I actually said this to both the GP and DN, they stuck to their guns and maintained their patter.
To me the only way to lower and stabilise blood sugars is through testing.
I found that low fat products are full of sugar. In theory if you consume carbs and fat, then the body is trying to deal with two types of fuel. Each type is dealt with differently. It is all fascinating, I even looked into the composition of lard.. To see why it suppose to be bad. Lol

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I also think it is down to cost as well. Their preference is the A1c test, which is fine for the average, but not for specific changes to food types. I think over reliant of the A1c, could potentially lead to complication, over the 2/3 months period. Does not highlight which foods could dangerously spike and over a particular length of time. I actually said this to both the GP and DN, they stuck to their guns and maintained their patter.
To me the only way to lower and stabilise blood sugars is through testing.
I found that low fat products are full of sugar. In theory if you consume carbs and fat, then the body is trying to deal with two types of fuel. Each type is dealt with differently. It is all fascinating, I even looked into the composition of lard.. To see why it suppose to be bad. Lol
Anything could be going on in those 2-3 months, especially if you have high BS and don't even know. If they won't give out meters, then they really should give brilliant dietary advice. All diabetics know about cutting out sugar, but it's much more scientific than that, that's why I spend most of my days researching nutrition. Haha.

It's good to be involved in a type 2 thread, as I know little about it and the level of care you get.

Thanks guys.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't realise that bio chemistry was so interesting lolol

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, biochemistry is amazing. Reading Fat chance - the bitter truth about sugar by Robert Lustig - brilliant description of all the hormones and systems. Only about £4.50 via kindle

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, stuff the science right now, just give me a massive toffee and chocolate choux bun with extra sugary thick, luxurious cream! Lol.

Lolol you will need luxury double cream, maybe clotted cream, to slow down the absorption of those carbs. I think the cravings are taking hold.