According to my consultant.

Greeny79

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nosher just read your thread and I'm pretty sure I am suffering with what you have but I am being fobbed off by the docs and its ruining my life, my brain feel knackered and my mood is terrible not to mention the faint/dizzy spells and obscene sweating, could you take a look at the thread I started yesterday if you have a spare 5 minutes

Really glad to hear you are doing well mate, gives me a bit of hope at least.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's great news mate, well done you must be chuffed. Hope your next test goes just as well.

I would suspect your tandoori chicken, salad, popadom & onions barely touched your bloods, the mango chutney on the other hand.......
Everything never touched the sides and I was in dreamland before thee go had a chance to ruin a good day.
Had some other good news yesterday as well. So I went to bed smiling instead of Mr grumpy! cheers mate.
Have fell off that boat yet? You know the one with that pint of lager on it!
Lucky bar steward!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
I love good news days :)

Couple of things mate, that wasn't lager it was strongbow, and that's not a boat it's the sun terrace of the local Harvester pub :) It does overlook the harbour though

I really want a boat but the wife won't let me

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I love good news days :)

Couple of things mate, that wasn't lager it was strongbow, and that's not a boat it's the sun terrace of the local Harvester pub :) It does overlook the harbour though

I really want a boat but the wife won't let me
Life's a ****** ain't it?

Lilliepop

I have beaten T2 diabetes! He wants more tests including glucose testing in about three weeks. He is happy with my progress.
However, I now know for certain that I should have never been diagnosed as T2, but prediabetic in 2010!
I have been diagnosed as reactive hypoglycaemic, which is still carb intolerant, but my pancreas flushes Insulin instead of depriving my body of it. I still have to have a restrictive diabetic like diet, even though I am on meds. Carbohydrates are poison to me!

Because I am no longer diabetic, there is still a 55% chance of me getting it in the future! he wouldn't predict anything, because he wants more tests!
Everything I eat, I have to test every time before and two hours after! (Shouldn't we all?) and I need to find out how susceptible I am to sugar and carbs!

Test! Test! Test! Test! Test! Test! Oh! Well, just have to get my head around this. He says I have a very rare condition, I am going to get educated about this condition.
Since going on meds, I have never felt better, fitter and healthier since I was in my forties.

I wish that all you diabetics could get the care and interest that my consultant has given me. I also thank everyone on this site who taken time and interest in my postings ( wether right or wrong!) who has helped me understand my dietary and health needs. Thank you!

Does this mean I no longer have to log in and offer my advice on various things?

Thank you all again, especially Brunneria, who understands my condition, cos she's been there, Ta very much!
Hi. That's great! Can you tell me what and if you had any symptoms? I think I'm intolerant to carbs I feel fine until I eat anything with sugar or flour then I get so tired. Not normal tired but I could drop of anywhere. I have been told this week that I'm no longer prediabetic over the moon but I also have to keep to the LCHF diet. My doctor doesent sound as throe as yours. Would like to know how you are getting on now and again too.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi lilliepop,
My symptoms were as follows,
Anxiety, anger, rage, tremors, nervousness, sweating and feeling warm, hunger, mooching, headache, neuralgia, depression, tearful, fatigue, apathy, lethargy, confusion, amnesia, light headedness , blurred vision, sleep disruption, night terrors and sweats, vertigo and frequent urination. Not at the same time thank whoever!
Thank you it could be worse
All my symptoms have eased and most have gone completely. It's only the start! Looking good though!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Life's a ****** ain't it?

It sure is mate, she argues with stuff like "we can't afford it" and "we've got nowhere to keep it" and "I get seasick"
I keep telling her, don't bring me problems, bring me solutions.
But I'm still boatless

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It sure is mate, she argues with stuff like "we can't afford it" and "we've got nowhere to keep it" and "I get seasick"
I keep telling her, don't bring me problems, bring me solutions.
But I'm still boatless
3 answers - credit, marina, pills. No probs!
My pleasure cruise is 'Ferry cross the Mersey'. Ha!

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
nosher8355 and semiphonic, keep up the good banter, I really enjoy it
Your weight loss and positive attitude is right on target, hope mine catches up soon,
Yes I do miss the ferry cross the mersey, and now there is only one boat left, when I was a kid there were 3 and the best one went to new brighton on a sunny sunday. The next best went to wallasey, and the park, again on a sunday.

Well posters, will catch up again, brain mush is happening, ttfn

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I loved the New Brighton ferry. The short ferry ride to the city was 2 minutes from our house. It was the only way to getting across if you had no car. We were looking at how the ferry buildings and surrounding areas looked before WW2. Pretty nostalgic. Grew up on the river. Miss it!

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
No idea what you two are talking about, but I did work on the Wirral for a while. So I probably could say something like "Eh la" and sound convincing......

Nicola_F

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to follow a T2 diabetic diet because I am carb and sugar intolerant. My condition, known as Reactive Hypoglycemia, means that when I eat a carb rich food, I spike up to an hour later, my pancreas flushes insulin and because of that and more science, my blood sugar drop rapidly, which produces a hypo. Then I have to have something to offset the hypo and if I don't do it gradual then I will yo-yo between hyper and hypo.
I am on meds that inhibit the flushing of insulin into my bloods. So far they have worked, though I still have to keep testing and trying low carb foods, soon I hope, I can try medium carbs if all goes well or I may have to increase my meds and I don' want to do that!

This explains so much for me and is just about a complete mirror of my circumstances, recently diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia, the only difference being is that as of yet it hadn't been fully explained, as I'm still waiting for an appointment with a dietician and wont get to see my consultant till November, but it does explain why my blood sugars bounce around all over the place

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This explains so much for me and is just about a complete mirror of my circumstances, recently diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia, the only difference being is that as of yet it hadn't been fully explained, as I'm still waiting for an appointment with a dietician and wont get to see my consultant till November, but it does explain why my blood sugars bounce around all over the place

The general consensus of opinion is that the vast majority if dieticians give the wrong information (the NHS 'healthy plate'), I probably should let @nosher8355 comment further on this as I'm not Reactive Hypoglycemic.
Good news that you've now got a better understanding of your condition though :)

Nicola_F

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
To be fair the dietician probably has their work cut out, as I burn off food very quickly and as a result, I really can't afford to loose any weight, as I've been struggling to keep my weight above eight and half stones for the last two decades and I eat about five full meals aday, though have cut back on the snacks

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
To be fair the dietician probably has their work cut out, as I burn off food very quickly and as a result, I really can't afford to loose any weight, as I've been struggling to keep my weight above eight and half stones for the last two decades and I eat about five full meals aday, though have cut back on the snacks
You really have to search the net for the info. It took me a while. If you want to stop bouncing or yo-yoing then you have to do without the carbs.
The number of meals is recommended at around 6 plus a snack or two. Just to keep you in the right level for your BSLs. You not having a weight issue is a plus. So find snacks that won't spike you. Best advice I can give is find something to eat very low carb that can slowly raise your BSLs slowly so that you don't go hyper then hypo. Are you having loads of symptoms?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
No idea what you two are talking about, but I did work on the Wirral for a while. So I probably could say something like "Eh la" and sound convincing......
Diye mean, yu don't speak da lingo? Like wot I do!
Suppose you talk imitation cockney?

Nicola_F

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
You really have to search the net for the info. It took me a while. If you want to stop bouncing or yo-yoing then you have to do without the carbs.
The number of meals is recommended at around 6 plus a snack or two. Just to keep you in the right level for your BSLs. You not having a weight issue is a plus. So find snacks that won't spike you. Best advice I can give is find something to eat very low carb that can slowly raise your BSLs slowly so that you don't go hyper then hypo. Are you having loads of symptoms?
the weight issue is the fact that I can't put any on and am technically under weight, can't remember what my recent BMI was, put will check, as for symptoms, barely a day goers by when I don't have a hypo, blood usually drops to 2.8 or below, sometimes the hypo's can be two or three in day, suggesting diet, though there's also a lot of stress as I'm a full time carer, so don't know if that equates into it

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are having more than one hypo in a day this suggests that what you are using to relive the hypo, makes you hyper then hypo. You need to balance your BSLs to a level and stay within that level. My normal BSLs are between 4 & 6. It may go to a 7 after eating. But as long as you keep topping up with protein and veg and fruit that won't spike you. Then you don't need the carbs. You will get enough from the fruit and especially the veg.
You will be tested again. For other things. Are you on meds for diabetes?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Congratulations Nosher!

Both on getting a Consultant with an open mind and a brain!
As well on your finally getting a diagnosis.
Thanks! But this is the beginning and (fingers and everything else crossed) that the medication can be as positive as it has been in the last few weeks.
I have openly discussed many topics with my consultant and he couldn't be more understanding and open minded. It was his idea to leave the carbs and sugars alone till he had a definite diagnosis! I am indeed fortunate! If it was left to my doctor.............

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diye mean, yu don't speak da lingo? Like wot I do!
Suppose you talk imitation cockney?

Not particularly mate but last night I went up the apples to speak to the trouble about going out for a ruby. She took a butchers at her kettle and said "it's a bit late have we got lager and lime?" I said yes and got on the dog to book an aunt mabel. We had our ruby and would you Adam and Eve it, the tea leaves tried to overcharge me! I told them I had my ruby with jockeys and it came to an Ayrton!
Nuff said.