Status
Not open for further replies.

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Thanks @jack412

I am used to not pigging out on grease I have not had a Gall bladder for about 25 years, I do not record my life changes but it is certainly more than 20 years.

Lipitor (statin) crippled me I was walking on a stick. It sneaked up on me and I did not know what was doing it to me and as warned by my GP it took months to get rid of it,

So I am not really interested in HF,

Re weight, I am eating great food with no quantity restrictions and I have lost 14 or 115 kg with about 7 kg to go. It is moving slowly now but if it keeps moving down then I happy if it is slow. The slow cooker looks liked being used 2 or 3 days per week (4-6 evening meals for 3 of us) I cook cakes every 2nd or 3rd day and my son cooks m/w choc cake and surfs the net for locarb recipes and, my wife does salad for most lunches and I scrounge up breakfasts. I have made some great chocolate using almond meal cocoa and orange essence and cashews.and butter and olive oil and water (all done to taste) It is popular.

So I am happy with how it is panning out. We bought 3KG of almond meal 3KG of cashews and I kg of crushed peanuts and we have 11.3 KG of coconut flour on back order to pick up Thursday. The coconut flour is the bargain at $7 kg but I have not found a local supplier of that elusive gluten yet.

But I am picking up good info and I do a bit of writing so I might bring some of it together in a booklet/article with a slug line of "The working man's guide to surviving T2 diabetes."

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
No of course that's not the way a forum should be Annie, but I also feel I have to be brave to mention LCHF! I am not brave enough to answer new members questions now. That can't be right either. I havn't noticed people jumping in with advice about other diets though and although I follow LCHF because it's the only thing that has worked for me, I hate it because I'm not fond of protein without 'white carbs'. So if anyone really has a decent alternative diet that will help me lose weight and keep my BG's down I would love to hear it.
I couldn't keep to a diet I hate.
That had to be a major influence for me.
I went for low GI, as that worked initially for me.
I kept on it as I needed/wanted to lose weight, and my NHS dietician was very supportive of it.
I always said when I hit my target, I would review my choices.
I'd already said in a previous post how my journey has taken me to the place I am now.
Maybe it's not the absolute best my BS could be, if that was my focus. But the numbers are in the 'normal' range, and that's all I want.
I'm sure I could have had better cholesterol if I had targeted that.
I made the choice to control my diabetes in a way that suited me, and my lifestyle though. It's the best I get, I'm happy with the numbers, (but the cholesterol is my next target, it's been lower, and I can get it down again).
As to being not fond, I changed, when I changed my diet.
If you told me I'd be swooping fish and chips, fryups for breakfast, doorstep sandwiches, boxes of donuts, bags of pasties, for cabbage, sprouts, salads, I wouldn't have believed you.
Now I enjoy the latter, and sometimes touch a very small amount of some of the former.

The other thing that changed is my eating pattern.
Very often I could get up, work all day, and then eat (for the first time) in the evening, but then I didn't stop until I went to bed.
Now I have a routine, Ryvita for breakfast, lunch (salad again today) then a meal tonight. Limited snacks inbetween are allowed.
Again, that seems to work for me.
If I'm busy, or exercising, or diving, it's all fluid then, and I can balance the input against the output, critically with what's available, often from a very limited choice, and not worry about it.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
And with that, that's the end of my lunch break, so back into what now seems to be more flooring than I should be able to fit into the house!

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
No of course that's not the way a forum should be Annie, but I also feel I have to be brave to mention LCHF! I am not brave enough to answer new members questions now. That can't be right either. I havn't noticed people jumping in with advice about other diets though and although I follow LCHF because it's the only thing that has worked for me, I hate it because I'm not fond of protein without 'white carbs'. So if anyone really has a decent alternative diet that will help me lose weight and keep my BG's down I would love to hear it.

you shouldn't have to be brave to say what works for you, i was given advice by my DN to look at LCHF, in 6 months i've come down from 13 to pre diabetic, i think the misunderstanding here as i've read it, is that the word grease is implied as HF, while i believe it's not eating low fat products (which are high sugar) eating more oily fish, my DN said they have know for some time that fat doesn't make you fat, with Doctors writing saying they got it wrong about low fat, so many are making a u turn, we have been so brain washed we now don't believe it. If you want to know the truth follow the money, find out who backed the research, there is so much new information coming out, we should explore it all ( remembering to follow the money).

i think 8 is high after a meal, bloodsugar 101, i was reading on there over 7 is when the internal organs are damaged, not my words so don't go on at me, really though we need a well rounded projection of information, which i felt i got when i first joined, there so many amazing people on here, this is making me feel rather sad

Reactions: 10 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@douglas99 thank you for your reply. I did try low GI when I was around this weight before, my GP recommended it. I followed the book to the letter weighing food and cooking from scratch. I put on 8 pounds in 2 weeks. I had previously been putting on weight at a rate of 7 pounds a year. I would consider it again when I am nearer to goal weight but as I have at least another 6 stones to lose I daren't risk the same thing happening again. Yes I have reviewed my choices a little too. LCHF wasn't enough to help me lose weight although it did sort out my BG's so I calorie count too.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jill, if they want to call fats from vegetables, seeds, fruits and pulses etc. grease.. That's ok. Most would get a shock at the % of fat that is in their low fat diet

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
Jill, if they want to call fats from vegetables, seeds, fruits and pulses etc. grease.. That's ok. Most would get a shock at the % of fat that is in their low fat diet

thats ok but could someone new think grease is the bad stuff, it makes it sound revolting

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
@douglas99 thank you for your reply. I did try low GI when I was around this weight before, my GP recommended it. I followed the book to the letter weighing food and cooking from scratch. I put on 8 pounds in 2 weeks. I had previously been putting on weight at a rate of 7 pounds a year. I would consider it again when I am nearer to goal weight but as I have at least another 6 stones to lose I daren't risk the same thing happening again. Yes I have reviewed my choices a little too. LCHF wasn't enough to help me lose weight although it did sort out my BG's so I calorie count too.
I did low GI with a calorie restricted diet, 800 to 1200 calories a day. I lost about 4 1/2 stone in a year overall.
I let the calories creep up a bit in winter, mainly as I was eating hot food rather than salad.
(Then again I felt colder, so probably expanded a few more calories trying to keep warm :) )

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Careful selection and I avoided most of the fatty veg.
It really was minimal fat. I didn't want to waste my calorie allowance on 'high density' food, when I could bulk up on high fibre.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's coffee break time again, the floor is finally down

One of the problems with working in a small house you're living in, is where to store everything.

The bedrooms are near enough done, so they're clean, the bathroom and kitchen are sorted, and the front room is done.
So the dining room is a complete building site.
Bags of plaster, cement, tools, tiles, even the chopsaw is on the floor in there.

I now need to summon up the enthusiasm to sort it out, and load the car up to get some stuff back to the workshop at home.
Plus I'm working a couple of days this week, so all the tools need to go into the back of the estate

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Finally cleared some floor space, and a 30 min walk later I'm in the pub for a pint or two of real ale to cut through the dust!
30 min walk back to use a few calories, then dinner.

C

catherinecherub

thats ok but could someone new think grease is the bad stuff, it makes it sound revolting
It's an unfortunate word to use. We need fats to make our body function. How much of it we choose to eat is a personal choice.
Grease reminds me of oils used in cars and the like.

Reactions: 5 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's an unfortunate word to use. We need fats to make our body function. How much of it we choose to eat is a personal choice.
Grease reminds me of oils used in cars and the like.

It's down to words.
I use a George Foreman grill, or a BBQ, both trap the excess fat, which sounds ok.
Both catch the grease, which doesn't.
Still the same stuff which I prefer to avoid when I can.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
And as you may have noticed, back from the pub.
It's been a long, hot, dusty, day.
And as this is a true blog, warts and all, I really enjoyed three pints of real ale in the pub.
Self control for the calories a little bit poor, but that floor was dusty, and the pub wasn't.
6 halves of different guest beers.
So, the diet suffered, but I did walk back the long way, not the short way, so that was the 30 minutes each way.
Some BBQ chicken and some chinese chicken on the George Foreman, and bloods are 4.7 after the beer and the walk.

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The day continues, even more tidying up. Cleaned the bathroom out, the car is going to be full going back home

1.jpeg 5.jpeg

A couple of 'before' images' I've avoided showing the toilet!

DSC_0558.jpg

The bathroom finished.

Even better, I had a fasting reading of 6, after the beer last night, and I'm now back to within my 1/2 stone of where I like to be, be I intend to push on down for a bit anyway.

mine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF if you cannot stick to low carb high fat, go for the low carb high fibre.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
LCHF if you cannot stick to low carb high fat, go for the low carb high fibre.

@mine Like I said though, it didn't work for me.
The low carb meant after a while I seems to lose the ability to cope with any carbs.
To me, that's a serious concern, as I can't always plan, or be fussy over what I eat.
Sometimes it's just whatever is on the boat, or made with a kettle.
I want to be able to eat anything, in moderation, without reacting badly.
So, I eat carbs, albeit low GI / low GL.
I find this allows me to cope with a pot noodle, or a white bread sandwich, or a banana, without any adverse effect.
I also can't risk the odd carb 'overload' making me drowsy, as others on a LC diet seem to have happen with even small amounts.
If 'I'm diving, it's just as bad to go in for the second or third dive feeling hungry, and cold, as it would be to feel drowsy, and lose attention.
If fact the second could be fatal, so I won't risk losing my response to carbs in that way.

It seems to be working, my bloods are good, my meds are being reduced, and I'm controlloing my life, and doing stuff I would never have done before.

mine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i must agree every one has their own way. just take good care of yourself

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hey everybody..

Low carb, lower carb

High Fat, higher fat

What the heck? Do whats right for you as an individual.

Loving life

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

A while ago my post said that I did not follow Lchf
I don't ....there said it again ...I did not get an easy time for saying it at the time , and I was shocked to learn that I was considered brave by pm messages sent by people that had tried to speak,up in the past ....this made me feel very sad .... :(

Good to see that there is so much more support now to those who feel they can be more open about their diets ...
Know one should feel,that they have to justify what they eat , what works for one will not always work,for another ...
I am delighted to hear that Douglas is doing well on chosen diet ... :). Lovely to hear this

I have lost 3 stones on mine ...and I am delighted ...last two hba1c tests were 39% 5.7 delighted .....I am in a better place than I was two years ago ..
I respect all diets that individuals choose ..we are all so different and none of this is easy ....big congratulations to,us all I say , as none of this will ever be easy .... Kat

Going back on my summer break now ....

Reactions: 8 people
Status
Not open for further replies.