Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheers but beat you to it!
The answer was yes and no!
if I had not have been in the land of no wifi most of the time, I would have told you about the walnut whip, without the need to resort to internet searching. those of us of a certain age will remeber them so well. those of us of a certain age who loved the coffee ones as their very favourite treat ever will know that there was a thick base with a walnut in the deep chocolate, a fondant coffee cream in the middle and a walnut half on the top of the thick swirl cone of chocolate. Also all the chocolate cone shapes were individually piped out, so no two were identical shapes. Unlike the modern day ones that are all moulded in a machine. They can no longer put the walnut in the base because the way they are manufactured means that they are in a cup mould, and so upside down, so the base at that stage is the top that they pit on after the fondant cream goes in, so would sink.

Now would it be possible for me to have a short break in 010? I have been drooling on the keyboard as I type, and could do with a rest in the spa with a nice cup of creamy coffee in order to recover from the nostalgic craving for a ruddy coffee walnut whip.

Not allowed in? Ah well, another glass of Merlot out here will have to suffice then.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if I had not have been in the land of no wifi most of the time, I would have told you about the walnut whip, without the need to resort to internet searching. those of us of a certain age will remeber them so well. those of us of a certain age who loved the coffee ones as their very favourite treat ever will know that there was a thick base with a walnut in the deep chocolate, a fondant coffee cream in the middle and a walnut half on the top of the thick swirl cone of chocolate. Also all the chocolate cone shapes were individually piped out, so no two were identical shapes. Unlike the modern day ones that are all moulded in a machine. They can no longer put the walnut in the base because the way they are manufactured means that they are in a cup mould, and so upside down, so the base at that stage is the top that they pit on after the fondant cream goes in, so would sink.

Now would it be possible for me to have a short break in 010? I have been drooling on the keyboard as I type, and could do with a rest in the spa with a nice cup of creamy coffee in order to recover from the nostalgic craving for a ruddy coffee walnut whip.

Not allowed in? Ah well, another glass of Merlot out here will have to suffice then.

Of course you can - the coffee machine is always on!

Did you have a good time in wherever-it-was? I've missed you.

Reactions: 2 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@satindoll and @noblehead and anyone else who takes on a rescue dog. The dogs are often not the prettiest or best behaved, but they only want kindness.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1410069729.710491.jpg

A friend sent me this and it's so true !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Holidays should be in 010.

All holidays, all the time. They're fab.

It's just a pity they end. So we should keep them, perfectly preserved in all their sunny, warm, relaxed glory, so that we can re-experience them whenever possible.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And waking up without the need for an alarm.

What bliss.

I have no desire to wish my life away, but one of the things I will enjoy most about retirement will be attaching the alarm clock to a helium balloon, and sending it off into the upper atmosphere.

Only 20 more years til I get to do that. And counting...

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
And waking up without the need for an alarm.

What bliss.

I have no desire to wish my life away, but one of the things I will enjoy most about retirement will be attaching the alarm clock to a helium balloon, and sending it off into the upper atmosphere.

Only 20 more years til I get to do that. And counting...

Yup, have to say it is pretty good to ditch the clock. Especially on cold dark mornings.

You had a good hol then?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, have to say it is pretty good to ditch the clock. Especially on cold dark mornings.

You had a good hol then?

Having a great time - til Friday.
But the countdown to reality has begun...

I'm trying to appreciate every milisecond!

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My friendly Dr's receptionist, who changed my flu jab appointment from some ridiculously early time to something sensible for me without having to be asked as she knows I don't do mornings then let me know before the letter came, bless her.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would like my two friends to have a bit of a break in 010. We have been friends since we started secondary school, nearly 50 years ago, and have never, ever, fallen out, or even got peed off with each other.
We meet regularly, and over the years have evolved from drinking dancing and raucous late nights, to being happy with a cuppa served by Mr Pipp, and a good old natter. We have shared life's milestones, and joys and sorrows.

They deserve a break, for putting up with me; and for caring for elderly relatives; working very hard, and rearing wonderful families. And just for being genuinely nice people.

Enduring friendships are precious.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The health trainer, who despite not being clinically trained, has been most helpful, realistic and honest about my health difficulties. Unlike the 'medical professionals' who are tickers of boxes.

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.

You've done it now!
I'm going to have to buy a walnut whip first thing in the morning and slowy take it apart with my teeth and tongue and should it spike my sugars ... well be it on your head!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've done it now!
I'm going to have to buy a walnut whip first thing in the morning and slowy take it apart with my teeth and tongue and should it spike my sugars ... well be it on your head!
Don't do it!

The modern ones are nowhere near as good as the original ones. Absolute garbage!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Don't do it!

The modern ones are nowhere near as good as the original ones. Absolute garbage!
Yikes that was close!
I was pondering getting in the car and going get one now.
you saved us both in the nick of time.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yikes that was close!
I was pondering getting in the car and going get one now.
you saved us both in the nick of time.

Good! But if I had a time machine I would travel back to early 1960s and buy a crate of them to share, occasionally, with those of us who can manage a bit of a carb fest.
Alas, I would probably scoff the lot in one go. Just to save you all from a nasty carb spike, you understand. I would make that sacrifice. Especially if they were the coffee flavoured ones.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Good! But if I had a time machine I would travel back to early 1960s and buy a crate of them to share, occasionally, with those of us who can manage a bit of a carb fest.
Alas, I would probably scoff the lot in one go. Just to save you all from a nasty carb spike, you understand. I would make that sacrifice. Especially if they were the coffee flavoured ones.
You're doing it again!!!!!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I never had a sweet tooth never did chocolate but there are always the exceptions to the rule like jelly babies and walnut whips ... I might take a valium.