Forum posts on facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kat100

That wasn't what I meant. The moderators moderate posts I believe, although that could be different for Facebook and Twitter. But I thought I might have seen noblehead this morning, and Anna's online right now:

View attachment 11232

I thought you meant we hadn't had any feedback on the bigger question yet.
I I was responding to smidge , Anna has already asked us to wait for further feedback ...I am happy with that ...

Reactions: 2 people
C

catherinecherub

Just in case anyone is still confused.

The Moderators who moderate this forum do not moderate DCUK on Facebook or Twitter.

Reactions: 4 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying

Just in case anyone is still confused.

The Moderators who moderate this forum do not moderate DCUK on Facebook or Twitter.

True and honest a point and fact .

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel I should explain, I have no personal experience of FB, and therefore no particular beef with it per say, I have been invited to join a number of groups both family and friends but having viewed their pages I have not been tempted, I just don't get it.
On the other hand I have seen first hand the distress and pain caused by the Brat Pack assaults on people which I find appalling, yes I know it happens everywhere but that is not a valid reason to ignore it, if I turn a blind eye to it how can I then with honesty complain about other wrongs.
Someone once said "If one person turns their back and pretends they do not see, evil will rule the world" it may be trite but it has proven true many many times.

Reactions: 6 people
A

AnnieC

I just wonder if people are objecting because the posts have been reposted on DCUK because we know they have not got a good name on here If they were on a Diabetes.co.uk Facebook page would you still object to reposts I don't think anyone who is not suffering from diabetes would be remotely interested in our posts so reposted they will still have only have a small audience

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm coming into this discussion quite late, but having read the posts, I think the major mistake in this case was to link directly to the individual forum posts (and choose the wrong topics). It would have been better to just have a general link to the forum.

I'm sure that there are many people out there who don't realise exactly how Facebook works.
Firstly, it is a way of keeping in touch with friends and family with photos and what you are doing - you can keep this pretty tight with who can see this.
Secondly, it is a way of joining with people who have similar interests to you in 'Groups' - these are probably people you don't want as friends (some of them may be) but you can interact with them - there are open and closed groups.
Thirdly there are 'Like' pages. DCUK is one of these. Companies, people in the Entertainment industry, charities etc have this type of page. They exist to create interest in the subject, and if they are selling something, to generate more sales. If your friend shares something on Facebook then they are doing the marketing for the company.

On a 'LIke' page anyone can write anything, they don't even need to have liked the page. The page owner needs a good Admin to remove all the weird, wacky and inappropriate comments (I have experience of this as an Admin of a page on a different subject), According to a post from Admin earlier in the thread, this is done.

I've seen posts on some topics on the DCUK Facebook page where people haven't got a clue how to manage their diabetes, so posts about the forum are a good thing, in my opinion the topics used to highlight the forum should be chosen very carefully and be ones that would be useful to the newly diagnosed.

I'm not one for shouting from the rooftops that I have Type 2, but my username could be anyone of many thousands so it wouldn't bother me if it was quoted.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well said, @))Denise((

It is the lack of discretion in the posting of sensitive threads which most of us are objecting to, I think.

When I originally became a member here, I "liked" the DCUK Facebook page, but very quickly unliked it again when I realised my friends could see the pages I liked, and I didn't want everyone to know about my condition.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Skimmed through.

I am an avid social networker who uses FB, Instagram and Twitter. I noticed the links and also have an issue with it.
I choose to upload my successful days to Instagram & Twitter where only other diabetics would look for key words. I don't discuss it on FB at all, except in closed groups.

I discuss things on this forum that I don't with anyone else, problems with diabetes etc. I'm not stupid, I know people COULD come and look, but I didn't think they would be directed straight to it. To link a forum like this onto Facebook to help people is one thing, to link threads about stuff like a newly diagnosed lad's first date going badly is just disrespectful. If he wanted that on FB he'd put it there. I like many others felt safe here, and seeing the above thread linked on Facebook made me very uncomfortable

People "like" the diabetes page on FB on a whim, it's not just people seeking advice and info like this forum is.

I have requested my name to be changed and until that happens you will not hear from me again.

Reactions: 17 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just wonder if people are objecting because the posts have been reposted on DCUK because we know they have not got a good name on here If they were on a Diabetes.co.uk Facebook page would you still object to reposts I don't think anyone who is not suffering from diabetes would be remotely interested in our posts so reposted they will still have only have a small audience

Just to clarify - threads on here were not on DCUK. They were linked by the diabetes.co.uk ( this organisations) Facebook page . Without the original posters of the threads( on here ) knowing . This has allowed Facebook members who may not be members on here to follow the link, read the thread, then make their own comments about it on Facebook independently from the original thread .

Presumably those who view the Facebook site do have an interest in diabetes , as the Facebook group is clearly diabetes.co.uk , but many for whatever reason, do not become members on here.

I hope this clears up who is who and doing what :rolleyes:

Signy

A

AnnieC

Just to clarify - threads on here were not on DCUK. They were linked by the diabetes.co.uk ( this organisations) Facebook page . Without the original posters of the threads( on here ) knowing . This has allowed Facebook members who may not be members on here to follow the link, read the thread, then make their own comments about it on Facebook independently from the original thread .

Presumably those who view the Facebook site do have an interest in diabetes , as the Facebook group is clearly diabetes.co.uk , but many for whatever reason, do not become members on here.

I hope this clears up who is who and doing what :rolleyes:

Signy
Thanks I thought they had been reposted onto the DCUK Facebook page

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've said it before, and will say it again, hopefully for the last time ;):rolleyes:

I see no useful function in linking to ANY thread on here from Facebook .

If people are interested in joining the members on here, then they will do so. There are ample links on the Facebook page to enable them to do so if they so wish . Then having done that, they can read and reply to posts directly and openly, so the OP or anyone who has replied to that post can read and reply in kind .

Linking to threads posted on here is wholly unnecessary in fulfilling the objectives of this organisation that have been given by Admin earlier in this thread . If it is deemed to be necessary, I would be asking why those objectives isn't being achieved on the merit of the other contents of the Facebook page ?

Signy

Reactions: 13 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've said it before, and will say it again, hopefully for the last time ;):rolleyes:

I see no useful function in linking to ANY thread on here from Facebook .

If people are interested in joining the members on here, then they will do so. There are ample links on the Facebook page to enable them to do so if they so wish . Then having done that, they can read and reply to posts directly and openly, so the OP or anyone who has replied to that post can read and reply in kind .

Linking to threads posted on here is wholly unnecessary in fulfilling the objectives of this organisation that have been given by Admin earlier in this thread . If it is deemed to be necessary, I would be asking why those objectives isn't being achieved on the merit of the other contents of the Facebook page ?

Signy

Thank you for clarifying, Signy :rolleyes:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think what I find frustrating is that people are concerned that others who they do not know may be laughing/being nasty at content of the forum that they have posted, and taking it personally, after the others have followed a link on Facebook. As has been said elsewhere, Facebook isn't the only place this happens, and frankly, I don't understand why people care so much. I get it isn't very nice, and before you knew about it, it didn't matter.

Work with what you can control, and don't worry about what you can't. It really isn't worth it.
Obviously you have not been stalked. Sometimes what you don't know about is important.

Reactions: 5 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Obviously you have not been stalked. Sometimes what you don't know about is important.
With the greatest of respect Zand, if you have been or are being stalked, then surely you would take extreme measures to hide your identity online? Even in a forum like this, whether you knew it to be public or not? That would be something which you can control.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would be nice if admin or Giverny could respond quickly so this can be sorted and the thread can stop going round in circles.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With the greatest of respect Zand, if you have been or are being stalked, then surely you would take extreme measures to hide your identity online? Even in a forum like this, whether you knew it to be public or not? That would be something which you can control.
Yes of course, but as you interact with other forum members bits of information trickle out. I wouldn't expect anyone to trawl the forum looking for me or anyone else, but if they were on FB and saw a link to a thread.......maybe a music thread.....where favourite songs are listed..who knows? I suppose I (for example) could tell a whole load of lies and say I like Motown when I don't, but then that wouldn't be empowering would it? I would still be a victim. There's a fine line between being very careful and being still imprisoned by the past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Facebook thinks I live in Swindon. I take pleasure in seeing every attempt by its little algorithms to interest me in Swindonian activities.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate to say I can't see any changes being made any time soon, its just not important enough for some, we often see people saying non diabetics just don't get how diabetes affects us, its the same with this, until you have been the target of the ridicule and nastiness that infects every corner of your life, and it does, you have no idea how worthless and unworthy you feel, crawling out of that pit of self hate takes a long time, worse still is that its only one word away and it doesn't take much to push you back in.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.