Forum posts on facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kat100

@satindoll There is absolutely nothing I know to prevent content from a private area being copied and then reposted.

As long as you can display it on your computer screen then you can use the "screen print" function to save a picture locally.
Harder and not as flexible as using standard "copy&paste" but if someone is determined to take content from this forum and post it elsewhere then this will always be possible.

If this is felt to be unacceptable then don't post ANYTHING on the Internet.
You can't have posts which are visible to others but so tightly controlled that they can't be copied in any format under any circumstances.

As I understand it there are some members who don't want links to their threads here to be posted on Facebook.
Further, they want an area which is sufficiently private that only members of this forum can see the posts and respond to them.
This seems achievable and a way to provide what most people who have complained appear to want.

Providing a Members Only area is not rendered pointless because members of the forum can copy content.
This would give a massive increase in privacy.
This would allow people to chose if their posts were visible to everyone, or just to members of the forum.

Oh, and you have introduced the concept of a "pseudo-member".
Could you please explain exactly what that is?
Up until now I assumed that there were members and non-members.
You really assumed that , another wake up call for us then , we learn something new everyday

Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpg

'Nuff said ! ;)
Signy

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
There could be a few about not nice ...or may have been a few about still not nice ...
No problems understanding you .....@satindoll

Sometimes, we have all the right words, but not necessarily in the right order ( I think a few have done that, I know I have ) :oops:

RRB :)

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to have had communication problems recently too.

Reactions: 6 people

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I think you are misunderstanding my posts, I have tried to ask questions that I did not know the answer to, I have a problem sometimes with getting the right words together to either ask or explain things, a pseudo member is one who joins just to cause trouble or annoy or blast can't find the word, sorry if I haven't made myself clear

There have always been short term members of the forum who have just joined to promote some product, or who can't behave in a civil manner.

They usually get reported by the "Report" button or picked up by the moderators.
People who abuse the forum are normally kicked off.

[I think long term members may earn the occasional slap, as well!]

Again, I can't see how the occasional SPAMmer or Troll appearing then being banned can make a Members Only area pointless.
No strategy is perfect, but surely we should go for the one which offers us the best result we can get?

Anyway, in the hands of the site owners now.

Cheers

LGC

P.S. Members Only access might be granted only after a certain time of "well behaved" membership.
Another difficult one - do you require a certain number of acceptable posts?
If so how do you define this?
How about ten posts and four weeks membership?
This gives new members plenty of opportunity to post, but doesn't give them full access until they have shown commitment to the forum and a willingness to post?
If they just want to read and not post then they stay with the public content.

Last edited by a moderator:

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Any news yet Anna ?
Today the forum was updated and extra feature's were included for all our benefit .
Please remain patient folks .

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today the forum was updated and extra feature's were included for all our benefit .
Please remain patient folks .

Yep, I know... I changed my profile picture yesterday to conceal my ID.. It was fine this morning.. Then whilst perusing after work noticed my original avatar back, a green "online notification" spot in the bottom right of said picture & the reply/quote button shifted...

.... Naturally I reached for my meter.!

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, I know... I changed my profile picture yesterday to conceal my ID.. It was fine this morning.. Then whilst perusing after work noticed my original avatar back, a green "online notification" spot in the bottom right of said picture & the reply/quote button shifted...

.... Naturally I reached for my meter.!

Yep, same here. I actually saw my avatar change in front of my eyes! From old to new, then back to the old one. Grrr! So fed up, especially with all the risks to identity that I changed it manually.

Reactions: 3 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There have always been short term members of the forum who have just joined to promote some product, or who can't behave in a civil manner.

They usually get reported by the "Report" button or picked up by the moderators.
People who abuse the forum are normally kicked off.

[I think long term members may earn the occasional slap, as well!]

Again, I can't see how the occasional SPAMmer or Troll appearing then being banned can make a Members Only area pointless.
No strategy is perfect, but surely we should go for the one which offers us the best result we can get?

Anyway, in the hands of the site owners now.

Cheers

LGC

P.S. Members Only access might be granted only after a certain time of "well behaved" membership.
Another difficult one - do you require a certain number of acceptable posts?
If so how do you define this?
How about ten posts and four weeks membership?
This gives new members plenty of opportunity to post, but doesn't give them full access until they have shown commitment to the forum and a willingness to post?
If they just want to read and not post then they stay with the public content.

I sat in the shadows for months just reading and gleaning information till I felt comfortable that my LA would not cause me too much trouble as I find it easier to write things down and amend grammar and text rather than the spoken word, even then I have been caught out a couple of times with the wrong word or phrase but most of the time I can cope this way, some of the points in your P.S. would have put people like me at a disadvantage as I am not usually a prolific poster even though I long to join in

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, same here. I actually saw my avatar change in front of my eyes! From old to new, then back to the old one. Grrr! So fed up, especially with all the risks to identity that I changed it manually.

Lol I can only assume member profiles get "backed up" from time to time & while the forum was undergoing stuff my old profile pic was was thrown in when things were "restored"?

I normally use an Ipad. So double checked on my PC where I edited & keep my new pic.. & just changed it back..
Personally, I don't mind. Oversights happen!

It all works on Safari & Firefox. :cool:

With regards to the initial topic... I feel we had a measured statment on this matter on page 3 from the powers that be..;)

adrian207

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I sat in the shadows for months just reading and gleaning information till I felt comfortable that my LA would not cause me too much trouble as I find it easier to write things down and amend grammar and text rather than the spoken word, even then I have been caught out a couple of times with the wrong word or phrase but most of the time I can cope this way, some of the points in your P.S. would have put people like me at a disadvantage as I am not usually a prolific poster even though I long to join in
Satindoll, don't put yourself down. You are a great poster, just look at your input just recently. I for one have liked the stuff you write.:D

Reactions: 7 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Satindoll, don't put yourself down. You are a great poster, just look at your input just recently. I for one have liked the stuff you write.:D

Thanks Adrian, the support I have had from yourself, Kat , RRB, Brunaria, ohitsnicola and the others have encouraged me to keep on trying, you guys have no idea how grateful I am, my vocabulary expands slowly but surely.

Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Adrian, the support I have had from yourself, Kat , RRB, Brunaria, ohitsnicola and the others have encouraged me to keep on trying, you guys have no idea how grateful I am, my vocabulary expands slowly but surely.

Quality is more important than quantity, @satindoll , and your posts are quality.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Oh, just to mention:

If you look back through your posts here and there is anything you wish you hadn't said in public as far as I can tell you can go back and edit it so it is no longer there.

Status
Not open for further replies.