self-harming by overeating high carb food or sugar

• Thread starter Deleted member 43917
  • Start Date
D

Deleted member 43917

I have totally blown my eating habits lately by eating late night takeaways with high carbs, , and I'm currently awake with terrible thirst and feeling ill. I'm not sure why I've been doing this when I'm conscious of the diabetes - although it started with feeling low, but I know it's got to stop.

Has anyone else struggled with this type of thing? (Please be kind).

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Most have I'd suggest ... and yep, I'll be kind ... sort of ....

Most of us fall by the wayside at some point and, yes, we all need help. I'll (sort of) quote another member's comments that struck a chord with me ... and no, I have NEVER been tempted because I have an iron will.

Do you want that piece of cake now or lose your foot down the track?. How about that pastry for your craving or your eyesight in years to come?

I liken diabetes to a prisoner's visitor holding the keys to the cell. They can walk out anytime they wish and do as they want or realise the confines of the person to whom they paid a visit are (for one reason or another) trapped where they are. Which one would you rather be and how close do you want to get to that line where you join them..

You're better than this

Last word .... Fight.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't forget that the more you eat carbs the more you want them. 4 days of really trying hard and not slipping will get you back on track. Then after 2 weeks you will wonder why you wanted carbs in the first place.

Now could somebody tell that to me, because I need to get back on the wagon too!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Don't forget that the more you eat carbs the more you want them. 4 days of really trying hard and not slipping will get you back on track. Then after 2 weeks you will wonder why you wanted carbs in the first place.

Zand.. You've been told!!!!

Reactions: 6 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"after 2 weeks you will wonder why you wanted carbs in the first place.) Not so!

It really is a constant struggle, isn't it. I used to love my food but now most of the time just eat as I know I have to. I did like stir fries, salads etc. but NOT ALL THE TIME! Arrrgggh. Never mind, when I start the ND I am guessing even they will seem yummy! What I miss most is fruit and my cereal for breakfast (bran flakes, not the sugary kind).

I go to see my diabetic nurse next week (never actually seen my doctor) and then hope to start that weekend; I have lots arranged for next week so not a good time to start.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi AH :)

Nothing wrong with stir fries at all. :) I do a cooked lean beef mince with HEAPS of shredded cabbage and curry powder and beans and a LOT of oil. Tastes great.

As for brekkie, full meat snags with bacon and eggs.

Take care

Mike

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi AH :)

Nothing wrong with stir fries at all. :) I do a cooked lean beef mince with HEAPS of shredded cabbage and curry powder and beans and a LOT of oil. Tastes great.

As for brekkie, full meat snags with bacon and eggs.

Take care

Mike
Agreed, but I am getting sick of stir fries. I really wil have to start looking for alternatives! I don';t like celeriac mash and curry without any rice, nan bread etc. isn't the same especially as my husband has it all with his and then starts on the donuts afterwards; a constant reminder of what I am missing.

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Yep, look away :) Better still, look at the recipes on the forum. :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agreed, but I am getting sick of stir fries. I really wil have to start looking for alternatives! I don';t like celeriac mash and curry without any rice, nan bread etc. isn't the same especially as my husband has it all with his and then starts on the donuts afterwards; a constant reminder of what I am missing.
Exactly, we need to find alternatives or else we end up back on carbs. That's been my mistake too. We need to look for what we can eat not think about what we can't.....(while we still have the eyesight to look with.)

C

catherinecherub

I have totally blown my eating habits lately by eating late night takeaways with high carbs, , and I'm currently awake with terrible thirst and feeling ill. I'm not sure why I've been doing this when I'm conscious of the diabetes - although it started with feeling low, but I know it's got to stop.

Has anyone else struggled with this type of thing? (Please be kind).

It happens @apple123.
The satisfaction when eating something that does not agree with you is always short lived as you have discovered. Why do we do it? Who knows.
Is it because we feel rebellious after having to be mindful of what we eat, day in day out, do we get envious of our peers.......there are many reasons but the only person we are hurting is ourselves.

You have to be in control of diabetes or else he will reek havoc on you. It's a bit like expecting a wild beast to conform to your rules, it is impossible.

Pick yourself up, start again and when the next urge descends on you, think back to how you felt after this high carb meal.

Please don't think you are alone with sabotaging your diet, most of us have done it, it is what you do next that matters.

Reactions: 11 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
In your position I'd be asking your husband why he wasn't supporting you as well.... In our household, we've both gone low carb, and both seen the results of it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well from what I've seen here I believe wives are more likely to low carb with their diabetic husbands than the other way round. I still buy my husband junk because he would buy it for himself anyway if I didn't (yes, I've tried not buying it) If I buy it myself I can make sure it's not my favourite junk and then I'm less likely to succumb to temptation. As it is he often doesn't understand why I'm having salad instead of chips when we go out for a meal and why I usually don't have a dessert. He seems to think that I could eat all the carbs I want as I don't need any drugs yet :rolleyes:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Now could somebody tell that to me, because I need to get back on the wagon too!

@zand, now I'm telling you! You give great advice and are a friend of many on this here forum.
Behave yourself! You know you're better than that!

Best wishes.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand, now I'm telling you! You give great advice and are a friend of many on this here forum.
Behave yourself! You know you're better than that!

Best wishes.
lol Well at least you're not shouting at me nosher. :) I'll try, I'll really try.:)

Reactions: 6 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In your position I'd be asking your husband why he wasn't supporting you as well.... In our household, we've both gone low carb, and both seen the results of it.
He does support me, just carries on as usual for his diet. It seems very unfair as he has always had a terrible diet; loads of bottles of sugary drinks, too much wine and not a lot of veg and no fruit plus very little exercise yet I am the one with diabetes!!! At least he realises the seriousness of it as opposed to my sister who keeps telling me she has "loads of friends with diabetes and they aren';t like me, I am just poaranoid and if I can't have cereal etc. why don't I just go on insulin and then I can". Grrrrr

PS She is the one woi is a bit overweight although her diet is quite good and she does watch the calories.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
He does support me, just carries on as usual for his diet. It seems very unfair as he has always had a terrible diet; loads of bottles of sugary drinks, too much wine and not a lot of veg and no fruit plus very little exercise yet I am the one with diabetes!!! At least he realises the seriousness of it as opposed to my sister who keeps telling me she has "loads of friends with diabetes and they aren';t like me, I am just poaranoid and if I can't have cereal etc. why don't I just go on insulin and then I can". Grrrrr

PS She is the one woi is a bit overweight although her diet is quite good and she does watch the calories.

Tell them you are allergic to carbs and sugars!

It works for me!

D

Deleted member 43917

Thanks @zand, that's just what I needed to hear - thank you very much for posting. I've had a mushroom & leek omelette for brunch and will do whatever I can to eat healthily without carbs for at least the next four days to aim to rid myself of cravings, and then will work on continuing on track!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@apple123 and now I'd better practise what I preach because I really don't like being a hypocrite. I'm joining you right now! Thank you :)

Reactions: 8 people