Poll regarding X-PERT High Fat/Low Carb diet

We call on Diabetes UK to recognise the LCHF diet alongside the HCLF diet.

• I have had good blood glucose control & improved health with LCHF

Votes: 62 87.3%
  • I have had good blood glucose control & improved health with the standard HCLF diet

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I have had unsatisfactory results with LCHF

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • I have had unsatisfactory results with the standard HCLF diet

Votes: 38 53.5%

• Total voters

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Dr. Trudi Deakin, founder of the X-PERT diabetes training course has brought out a modification to the course which encourages the LCHF approach as an alternative to the previously recommended emphasis on low fat & high starchy carb diet.

This poll calls on Diabetes UK to recognise the LCHF lifestyle as an alternative to the standard starch carb, low fat lifestyle currently recommended.

From Dr. Deakin's slide presentation to a recent Diabetes UK conference.

Confused?
Has the X-PERT Programme become low carb?
X-PERT Health is a charity with a mission to provide accurate and up-to-date information for the prevention and treatment of diabetes. Version 12.1 of the manual (Sept 2014) acknowledges the latest evidence for a very low carb/high fat lifestyle, it doesn’t prescribe it.
The X-PERT Programme is based on the empowerment approach with informed decisions. If patients wish to adopt a low carb/high fat lifestyle, it is another option for them to lose weight and improve glycaemic control.
Thus, the X-PERT Diabetes Programme continues the same but with less emphasis on low fat and supporting participants with trying different dietary approaches.

Reactions: 9 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Done - thanks for this Ian :)

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I can't get access to poll on my iPad!!

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@IanD, I would have like to have seen more options available in the poll for those who don't LCHF or HCLF, there's many of us on the forum that sit somewhere in-between and eat both carbs and fat in moderation, the message would still be the same to Diabetes UK.

Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Is there a way to do this poll from a tablet or ipad etc?

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With respect Noblehead, why not start your own poll then ? The poll started here is pointless if we start putting loads of different options of varying degrees of low, moderate or high. The main focus is to change the current poor dietary advice and move with the times.

Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
With respect Noblehead, why not start your own poll then ? The poll started here is pointless if we start putting loads of different options of varying degrees of low, moderate or high. The main focus is to change the current poor dietary advice and move with the times.

So do we not want a poll to reflect all the members of this forum, there's two options there but it leaves an important one out, which is why many people may not be able to vote, hence why I've pointed this out to Ian.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I can't see the poll but could it not be said

NHS advice poll:

Iin view of NHS and diabetes groups such as DUK etc recommending 230-280g of carbs a day..

Do you follow their advice yes/no

do you eat a lower amount of carbs. Yes/no.

Please bear in mind that I haven't been able to actually see the poll!!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
@IanD, I would have like to have seen more options available in the poll for those who don't LCHF or HCLF, there's many of us on the forum that sit somewhere in-between and eat both carbs and fat in moderation, the message would still be the same to Diabetes UK.

The point of the poll is to get support for Dr. Deakin's modified advice, incorporating LCHF. Is she offering valid advice? Have forum members found it works? Lip-service is given to carb control by DUK, but the idea of high fat & sat fat is anathema to DUK.

What extra poll options would you like to be incorporated?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I see your point @noblehead, but if that was done then I think it would be necessary to say what type you were when ticking the MCMF box, and if type 2 whether you are on insulin or not, otherwise it could give a false result because it's really the insulin that's doing the work and not the diet.

Reactions: 7 people

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ian said This poll calls on Diabetes UK to recognise the LCHF lifestyle as an alternative to the standard starch carb, low fat lifestyle currently recommended. it says about trudi who recomends lo carb too

so why does voting poll need changin 4 other ppl who dont eat lo carb? it should stay as it is like ian intended

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ian said This poll calls on Diabetes UK to recognise the LCHF lifestyle as an alternative to the standard starch carb, low fat lifestyle currently recommended. it says about trudi who recomends lo carb too

so why does voting poll need changin 4 other ppl who dont eat lo carb? it should stay as it is like ian intended

Thankyou...for the info...can anybody cast a vote for me?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
DD I think Ian will have to add yours at the end because it comes up 'change vote' once you have voted.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The point of the poll is to get support for Dr. Deakin's modified advice, incorporating LCHF. Is she offering valid advice? Have forum members found it works? Lip-service is given to carb control by DUK, but the idea of high fat & sat fat is anathema to DUK.

What extra poll options would you like to be incorporated?

That's fine if your just wanting to get support for Dr Deakin's modified dietary advice, I thought your intentions were to make DUK change their stance on promoting a HCLF diet, perhaps by showing that people on this forum use other methods of dietary control (not just LCHF) would help to change hearts and minds at DUK.

So the other option I would have included is moderation, as Dr Deakin was promoting when she was talking at the Diabetes UK conference back in 2013..

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I see your point @noblehead, but if that was done then I think it would be necessary to say what type you were when ticking the MCMF box, and if type 2 whether you are on insulin or not, otherwise it could give a false result because it's really the insulin that's doing the work and not the diet.

It's the insulin doing the work regardless of what diet you follow, without insulin we wouldn't be here.