What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last night I threw caution to the winds and had an Indian takeaway - I ate lamb curry and fish curry and one chapati. Bg before meal - 5.7. An hour after, 6.9, two hours after, still 6.9 unfortunately. Went to bed then. This mornings fasting level, 5.9. so I'm thinking I got away with it?

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sable_Jan

So far today
Breakfast: 3 sausages, pile of scrambled egg, piece of bacon, slice of toast and serving spoon of baked beans .... Carvery Breakfast only went up by 0.4....
Snack - cos I "thought" I was hungry - Soya Almond yogurt with chia seeds and ground almonds (added a bit too much and it went solid in seconds) only ate a bit and put rest back for later - probably will need to slice it next time :hilarious:..... served with squirty cream for pudding after tea?
Tea will be same as yesterday - which only put me up about 0.6 though I won't be having the digestives if I have the sliced yoghurt :D

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

Last night I threw caution to the winds and had an Indian takeaway - I ate lamb curry and fish curry and one chapati. Bg before meal - 5.7. An hour after, 6.9, two hours after, still 6.9 unfortunately. Went to bed then. This mornings fasting level, 5.9. so I'm thinking I got away with it?
At 6.9 after 2 hours? I'd definitely say so :)

You obviously didn't overdo it on the portion size side of things..... I think we automatically adjust to smaller portions when we've been watching what we eat for so long....

pms543

Re Sugar Free Jelly - bought those veg ones Delish? and tried to make a creamy jelly using double cream...didn't work!

Used to have it as a kid...anyone know what to add to the setting jelly to make it like a pink mousse thing please? ( am also gluten free so cant use anything that may be contaminated or not proven g/f ) Thanks

S

Sable_Jan

Re Sugar Free Jelly - bought those veg ones Delish? and tried to make a creamy jelly using double cream...didn't work!

Used to have it as a kid...anyone know what to add to the setting jelly to make it like a pink mousse thing please? ( am also gluten free so cant use anything that may be contaminated or not proven g/f ) Thanks
try single cream - the double cream may be too heavy..... I found that fruit sinks in sugar free jelly whereas in normal jelly it floats...... how cool do you let it get before you whipped the cream in?

Possibly xanthan gum added to the mix would work though how it stands as being g/f I don't know..... if I can tell from the packet I will let you know ... just thought a lady that can't use normal flour uses it so mayb that makes it ok....

pms543

I usually use the Hartley sugar free jellies but bought these after reading in here someone recommended them...

I allowed it to go cool & didn't use fruit

Thinking might try evaporated milk?

Mikeyoungish1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Breakfast coffee, oat fruit own mix with goats milk, lunch two quorn picnic eggs, afternoon tea crab paste on two slices wholemeal seeded bread. All very nice but i would love a donut

Reactions: 6 people
S

Sable_Jan

I usually use the Hartley sugar free jellies but bought these after reading in here someone recommended them...

That's what my Mum used to use but check the carbs with it being "milk" and not "cream"

S

Sable_Jan

Breakfast coffee, oat fruit own mix with goats milk, lunch two quorn picnic eggs, afternoon tea crab paste on two slices wholemeal seeded bread. All very nice but i would love a donut
How did you get on with bs after your 2 slices of wholemeal seeded bread?

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So here's our family Easter lunch! (Held today for logistical reasons)

- slow-roasted lamb
- cauliflower tabbouleh
- leek gratin
- mushrooms
- sautéed cabbage
- roasted aubergine
- and for the carb-eaters, roast potatoes.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1428160179.489514.jpg

Reactions: 12 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think it might need whisking or beating when it is half set.

My grandmother used to dollop a teasp of natural yog into a setting jelly (she made them in clean little yog pots). It would float, suspended, as the jelly set solid around it.

She tried stirring the yog into the jelly, but it always split (went flecky). Hence the single floating blob.

I am sure that would work with extra thick double cream too...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

My grandmother used to dollop a teasp of natural yog into a setting jelly (she made them in clean little yog pots). It would float, suspended, as the jelly set solid around it.

She tried stirring the yog into the jelly, but it always split (went flecky). Hence the single floating blob.

[ cue Mission Impossible music]

"Brunneria, you mission, should you choose to accept it..........."

[ / Mission Impossible music off ]

Reactions: 7 people

pms543

To be honest Brunneria, these jellies ( 1st time I have ever had this variety ) do not set quite like the Hartley ones and before too long had passed has become almost set...so I set about quickly whisking in the cream....My intention was to have a creamy jelly....like a mousse

Reactions: 3 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I've not been feeling tip top this week either, and the only thing I can
Put it down to is that on 3 occasions last weekend and Monday i
had been sprinkling xylitol on my strawberries. It gave me
very bad stomach pains and I couldn't go to the toilet :(
Doctor suggested I took fybogel. That didn't work either.
Last night I had a very small bowl of cereal with whole milk and
hey presto ( it worked).

On some good news, the diabetic nurse is very pleased with me.
I've lost nearly a stone in 4 weeks. I went for fasting bloods so will let you
Know when I get the results.
The smell of those hot x buns in asda this morning ... I wanted one :arghh:
Brilliant! Keep it up.... and well done for not succumbing to the lure of the hotXbuns.... :)

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So here's our family Easter lunch! (Held today for logistical reasons)

- slow-roasted lamb
- cauliflower tabbouleh
- leek gratin
- mushrooms
- sautéed cabbage
- roasted aubergine
- and for the carb-eaters, roast potatoes.

View attachment 12830

Could I have the recipe for your Cauliflower Tabbouleh please? Is that it in the foreground of your photo? What a gorgeous feast!

Reactions: 3 people

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi hedonista yes that is the cauliflower tabbouleh in the foreground. It's basically the same as normal tabbouleh but with cauliflower replacing the bulgur wheat / cous cous

- put 1 cauliflower through the food processor in pieces until it's all ground up reasonably small. You can use the stems as well as the florets.

- I then briefly cooked the cauli in a wok with some butter and some garlic oil.

- cut up tomatoes into small bits (I used 3 tomatoes) and mix in with the cauli.

- add juice of half a lemon, and spices of your choosing - I used allspice and cinnamon but everyone has their own view on what to use

- cut up red onion and spring onion and mix in (in my photo it's unmixed in a separate bowl as my husband doesn't like onion)

- chop up (best to use a knife not a mezzalula) a big bunch of parsley and mix in.

- some people add mint leaves too but I prefer it without.

Status
Not open for further replies.