1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by SamJB, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hedonista

Hedonista Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Last night I threw caution to the winds and had an Indian takeaway - I ate lamb curry and fish curry and one chapati. Bg before meal - 5.7. An hour after, 6.9, two hours after, still 6.9 unfortunately. Went to bed then. This mornings fasting level, 5.9. so I'm thinking I got away with it?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

So far today
    Breakfast: 3 sausages, pile of scrambled egg, piece of bacon, slice of toast and serving spoon of baked beans .... Carvery Breakfast only went up by 0.4....
    Snack - cos I "thought" I was hungry - Soya Almond yogurt with chia seeds and ground almonds (added a bit too much and it went solid in seconds) only ate a bit and put rest back for later - probably will need to slice it next time :hilarious:..... served with squirty cream for pudding after tea?
    Tea will be same as yesterday - which only put me up about 0.6 though I won't be having the digestives if I have the sliced yoghurt :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

At 6.9 after 2 hours? I'd definitely say so :)

You obviously didn't overdo it on the portion size side of things..... I think we automatically adjust to smaller portions when we've been watching what we eat for so long....

• Like Like x 2
  4. pms543

pms543 · Well-Known Member

Re Sugar Free Jelly - bought those veg ones Delish? and tried to make a creamy jelly using double cream...didn't work!

Used to have it as a kid...anyone know what to add to the setting jelly to make it like a pink mousse thing please? ( am also gluten free so cant use anything that may be contaminated or not proven g/f ) Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  5. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

try single cream - the double cream may be too heavy..... I found that fruit sinks in sugar free jelly whereas in normal jelly it floats...... how cool do you let it get before you whipped the cream in?

Possibly xanthan gum added to the mix would work though how it stands as being g/f I don't know..... if I can tell from the packet I will let you know ... just thought a lady that can't use normal flour uses it so mayb that makes it ok....

• Like Like x 2
  6. pms543

I usually use the Hartley sugar free jellies but bought these after reading in here someone recommended them...

I allowed it to go cool & didn't use fruit

Thinking might try evaporated milk?

• Like Like x 4
  7. Mikeyoungish1

Mikeyoungish1 Type 2 · Member

Breakfast coffee, oat fruit own mix with goats milk, lunch two quorn picnic eggs, afternoon tea crab paste on two slices wholemeal seeded bread. All very nice but i would love a donut

• Like Like x 6
  8. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

That's what my Mum used to use but check the carbs with it being "milk" and not "cream"

• Like Like x 2
  9. pms543

Dash!! In a small can 170g there is 6g carbs per 50g serving and 4.5g fat

• Like Like x 2
  10. pms543

Single cream it is then lol

Any idea quantity?

• Like Like x 2
  11. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

How did you get on with bs after your 2 slices of wholemeal seeded bread?

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blessedarethecheesemakers

Blessedarethecheesemakers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So here's our family Easter lunch! (Held today for logistical reasons)

- slow-roasted lamb
    - cauliflower tabbouleh
    - leek gratin
    - mushrooms
    - sautéed cabbage
    - roasted aubergine
    - and for the carb-eaters, roast potatoes.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1428160179.489514.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  13. pms543

A feast indeed! !

• Like Like x 5
  14. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

I think it might need whisking or beating when it is half set.

My grandmother used to dollop a teasp of natural yog into a setting jelly (she made them in clean little yog pots). It would float, suspended, as the jelly set solid around it.

She tried stirring the yog into the jelly, but it always split (went flecky). Hence the single floating blob.

I am sure that would work with extra thick double cream too...

• Like Like x 4
  15. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

[ cue Mission Impossible music]

"Brunneria, you mission, should you choose to accept it..........."

[ / Mission Impossible music off ]

• Like Like x 7
  16. pms543

To be honest Brunneria, these jellies ( 1st time I have ever had this variety ) do not set quite like the Hartley ones and before too long had passed has become almost set...so I set about quickly whisking in the cream....My intention was to have a creamy jelly....like a mousse

• Like Like x 3
  17. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Did it work?

* hanging on the edge of my seat! *

• Like Like x 3
  18. Susikav

Susikav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Brilliant! Keep it up.... and well done for not succumbing to the lure of the hotXbuns.... :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Hedonista

Hedonista Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Could I have the recipe for your Cauliflower Tabbouleh please? Is that it in the foreground of your photo? What a gorgeous feast!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Blessedarethecheesemakers

Blessedarethecheesemakers Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi hedonista yes that is the cauliflower tabbouleh in the foreground. It's basically the same as normal tabbouleh but with cauliflower replacing the bulgur wheat / cous cous

- put 1 cauliflower through the food processor in pieces until it's all ground up reasonably small. You can use the stems as well as the florets.

- I then briefly cooked the cauli in a wok with some butter and some garlic oil.

- cut up tomatoes into small bits (I used 3 tomatoes) and mix in with the cauli.

- add juice of half a lemon, and spices of your choosing - I used allspice and cinnamon but everyone has their own view on what to use

- cut up red onion and spring onion and mix in (in my photo it's unmixed in a separate bowl as my husband doesn't like onion)

- chop up (best to use a knife not a mezzalula) a big bunch of parsley and mix in.

- some people add mint leaves too but I prefer it without.

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook