What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
:) Re the kale... fingers crossed for your nan... I'll light a candle... You have given me an idea now... pigs in blankets... of course... how could I not have thought of that before? I make them at Christmas for goodness' sake... :)

Haha I am obsessed with pigs in blankets!!

Thank you, She's doing well at the moment, but on a lot of morphine, the doctors & nurses have been truly amazing, she is my absolute world

Reactions: 8 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
I find mushrooms and eggs always seems to be something "missing" and the only thing that ever seems to make it "complete" is some cooked tomato.

I never did try umami as interesting as it first sounded because somewhere along the line it mentioned it being monosodium glutamate..... :(. Still love your version of chia seed pud....scrummy but I use less sweetener....
Umami is a 'flavour'... something deep and bonging really... like Marmite!! Or that gorgeous dark brown goo at the bottom of a roasting pan... If you buy stock cubes look out for MSG - I buy Kallo... they're lovely - I make pea and ham soup with the ham one and i don't need to boil ham for the stock at all... The fish one is brilliant - I love fish soup... I think Knorr has stopped putting MSG now? Oxo is awful.... :(

Reactions: 2 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes and ulcerative colitis.... :) Rude people... Violence.... and the amount of time I spend away from my beautiful family in the UK...
Breakfast: Greek yoghurt with sunflower seeds and hazelnuts. Tea with cream. 3 homemade Ginger Almond biscuits - only 1 carb each:)

Lunch: unusually for me I didn't feel at all hungry so just ate some more yoghurt with a chopped kiwi fruit.

Dinner: lamb's liver with onions and mushrooms in gravy. Cauliflower Mash with butter. I was very hungry and only realised later when I did the maths that I ate 9 carbs of onion and 9 carbs of cauli Why do onions have to have so many carbs??? Darn root veg!

2 more ginger biscuits. Tea with cream.

A total of 45 grams of carb so under my 50 grams per day target.
Sounds really good to me... :) Recipe for ginger biscuits please... love and miss.... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Haha I am obsessed with pigs in blankets!!

Thank you, She's doing well at the moment, but on a lot of morphine, the doctors & nurses have been truly amazing, she is my absolute world
I will light more candles then... I'm burning the house down for WeirdScience's dear wife.. she had her first treatment yesterday I believe.. I do hope it went well for her... I hope your nan stays strong... she sounds amazing... my mum is almost 92... you can but stand back and hope you do half as well I reckon... :)

Reactions: 6 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I did retest, using the other hand and it was 8. It is puzzling me. It could be something on the hand towel, I do wash my hands in the kitchen prior to testing and do cook 'normal' food for my son and friends. There is a Victoria Sandwich sitting in the fridge which I made this week. I haven't even been tempted. I am hoping it is just a blip and have to keep on track.
Don't worry... they say on this forum to test and move on, tomorrow is another day... and the sun might be shining too.. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
B omelette again, getting better but still not to Spencer's standard
L slice of burgen toasted with Philadelphia and 1/2 an avocado topped with fresh tiger prawns
D Doner Kebab no pitta, jelly
Sounds perfect... :) How did it go yesterday? It was yesterday, wasn't it? :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Breakfast
Not eaten much today, managed to fit in 3 x ryvita crackerbreads 3.9g each with cottage cheese and some nice greeky yoghurt and fresh strawberries.TC 20g :(

Evening meal
was on the go all day so was starvin marvin when i stopped rushing about cooked a big fried wok of halloumi cheese, mushrooms onion red pepper, plenty of spices chilli paprika, mixed herbs soy sauce in evoo with boiled egg mushrooms on a bed of mixed leaf salad and mayo. Total Carbs 11.6g :)

View attachment 13050

had to have a glass of rioja 2.5g to chill out after a busy day.....and reeeelaxxxxxxxxx!!! :)

nb: another glass has my name on it and @ 3.4g a glass who gives a hoot :D
Perfect... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
B: good sausage and egg
L: lemon and coriander bought hummus. 9 bar - the pumpkin one. Much sweeter than my usual peanut one. Had forgotten my meter, so couldn't test, but I wasn't impressed!
D: grilled lamb steak and orange pointy pepper filled with cream cheese. With green salad. Yum.

Out tomorrow, for lunch in a posh pub. Can't wait. Last time the meal was excellent!
The pepper sounds yummy... I love these ideas, it all helps with the boredom... :) Enjoy your lunch out today...

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
breakfast 1 shake lunch 1 shake tea 1 shake lol
Welcome... are you doing the Newcastle? If so, good luck and I have to admire your strength of character because I could not... :)

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I made different mic muffin with coconut flour as I feel I am eating rather a lot of almonds! It is very good and I think I prefer it...
Goat's cheese spread on a slice of mic muffin, with half an avocado
Fried egg, ham and more mic muffin
I marinated tuna in a little mirin, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, wok oil and spices... made pappardelle from courgette and fried gently for two minutes in butter in a very large frying pan, sliced fennel thinly, fried in butter for a few minutes then stirred in creme fraiche and a little vinegar... crisp green beans and it was all brilliant...

Formula 1 here in Bahrain .. the excitement here on the island is palpable... :) Cannot wait for testing today....
I had mic muffin with goat's cheese and cherry tomatoes picked fresh from my garden
Lunch will be the left-overs from last night's tuna feast
Dinner will be chicken soup made with fresh stock from poaching a whole, small chicken...

I will use the breast for today's soup - and whatever the cats can manage - and the dark meat for a Thai curry with courgette noodles tomorrow... eaten for lunch while I watch the F1 Qualifying.... I will probably have a couple of glasses of crispy white wine too... :) Then I will take all the left-over chicken to my dustbin cats... Eggs for supper and a slice of Stracciatella cake with cream...then drinks with friends... sigh... a lovely day I think... :)

Sometimes being diabetic is not as bad as it might seem... It makes me cook inventively and it's always so tasty.... I love Masterchef but they are not as good as us at invention tests I reckon... ;)

Reactions: 12 people

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Yesterday I had:

B: Hot water and lemon. Chia pudding with cream and cinnamon. Highest reading after was 5.7 (from 4.6).
L: Some leftover chicken and salmon with steamed veggies and a baby avocado.
T: Roasted med veg with baked cod loin and avocado, topped with herb butter, crumbled shropshire blue cheese and drizzled with olive oil and turmeric
Supper/bed: Raspberries and cream with cinnamon
Drinks: water and a herb tea

Avocado Tip: If you love avocados like I do, ASDA are now selling a bag of 6 baby avocados for £1.75 at the moment. I find it hard to find avocados at a good price and the baby ones are my faves cos there are no leftovers that might go brown. If anyone knows of a better buy than this, I'd love to know - I bought 2 bags to stash in case they stop selling them suddenly (i've never seen them in ASDA before). If they are too firm, I pop in a brown bag on top of my fridge to ripen. If they are a bit soft, I pop them in the fridge. If they are just right, I keep them in my fruit bowl. Love avocados!
Have yet to find a way of keeping leftovers from going brown though.............not too much of a problem as I can't resist finishing them off, but this would be useful to know if I was taking them out as a salad for the day though :)

Reactions: 8 people

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
Yesterday I had:

B: Hot water and lemon. Chia pudding with cream and cinnamon. Highest reading after was 5.7 (from 4.6).
T: Roasted med veg with baked cod loin and avocado, topped with herb butter, crumbled shropshire blue cheese and drizzled with olive oil and turmeric

Avocado Tip: If you love avocados like I do, ASDA are now selling a bag of 6 baby avocados for £1.75 at the moment. I find it hard to find avocados at a good price and the baby ones are my faves cos there are no leftovers that might go brown. If anyone knows of a better buy than this, I'd love to know - I bought 2 bags to stash in case they stop selling them suddenly (i've never seen them in ASDA before). If they are too firm, I pop in a brown bag on top of my fridge to ripen. If they are a bit soft, I pop them in the fridge. If they are just right, I keep them in my fruit bowl. Love avocados!
Have yet to find a way of keeping leftovers from going brown though.............not too much of a problem as I can't resist finishing them off, but this would be useful to know if I was taking them out as a salad for the day though :)

I tend to go with the make it and eat it straight away method for avocado salad. The skin/shells are also a handy container. This may help though.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5787760_keep-avocado-turning-brown.html

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Top tip for stopping cut avocados from browning is to store them in a covered container with their stone. The stone somehow protects them. Don't know why, but it works :)

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Top tip for stopping cut avocados from browning is to store them in a covered container with their stone. The stone somehow protects them. Don't know why, but it works :)
Thanks, I tried that but it didn't work :( perhaps i am not using the right container. Might try it again

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You can buy avocado here, already cut, and sealed in a very strong shrink wrap sort of plastic. I haven't tried them, as it all seems a bit processed to me, and leftover halves simply aren't an issue in this household!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Thanks, I tried that but it didn't work :( perhaps i am not using the right container. Might try it again
Come to think of it, it worked for me when making guacamole, but there was also lime juice in the guacamole. That maybe made a difference. I just stored it in a bowl with the stone and covered it in cling film - it was still nice and green the next day. If in doubt, gobble it all up so there are no leftovers to worry about :D

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lemon or lime juice works. I'm guessing vinegar would too.

Sometimes I freeze a leftover half, wrapped in cling film, then lob it in a green smoothie.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks, hadn't thought about freezing.
Will have to try a citrussy, oil and vinegar dressing if doing as an eat later salad. One of those elements will surely work!

Reactions: 3 people

Susikav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yesterday I had:

I popped my half down on a piece of clingfilm, pushed it down gently to get the air out, folded the edges over and put it face-down in the fridge on the shelf... it stayed perfect till the next morning... could have been a fluke, haven't tried it since, but was impressed enough to show my husband and son!

Reactions: 3 people

Ellie-70

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds really good to me... :) Recipe for ginger biscuits please... love and miss.... :)
Hello Susi,
The recipe is already on the 'Low Carb Recipes' thread and is called Ellie's Ginger Nut biscuits. Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.