1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What have you eaten today?

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by SamJB, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrsass

Mrsass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Haha I am obsessed with pigs in blankets!!

Thank you, She's doing well at the moment, but on a lot of morphine, the doctors & nurses have been truly amazing, she is my absolute world

• Like Like x 8
  2. Susikav

Susikav Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Umami is a 'flavour'... something deep and bonging really... like Marmite!! Or that gorgeous dark brown goo at the bottom of a roasting pan... If you buy stock cubes look out for MSG - I buy Kallo... they're lovely - I make pea and ham soup with the ham one and i don't need to boil ham for the stock at all... The fish one is brilliant - I love fish soup... I think Knorr has stopped putting MSG now? Oxo is awful.... :(

• Like Like x 2
  3. Susikav

Sounds really good to me... :) Recipe for ginger biscuits please... love and miss.... :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. Susikav

I will light more candles then... I'm burning the house down for WeirdScience's dear wife.. she had her first treatment yesterday I believe.. I do hope it went well for her... I hope your nan stays strong... she sounds amazing... my mum is almost 92... you can but stand back and hope you do half as well I reckon... :)

• Like Like x 6
  5. Susikav

Don't worry... they say on this forum to test and move on, tomorrow is another day... and the sun might be shining too.. :)

• Like Like x 4
  6. Susikav

Sounds perfect... :) How did it go yesterday? It was yesterday, wasn't it? :)

• Like Like x 4
  7. Susikav

Perfect... :)

• Like Like x 4
  8. Susikav

The pepper sounds yummy... I love these ideas, it all helps with the boredom... :) Enjoy your lunch out today...

• Like Like x 2
  9. Susikav

Welcome... are you doing the Newcastle? If so, good luck and I have to admire your strength of character because I could not... :)

• Like Like x 6
  10. Susikav

I made different mic muffin with coconut flour as I feel I am eating rather a lot of almonds! It is very good and I think I prefer it...
    Goat's cheese spread on a slice of mic muffin, with half an avocado
    Fried egg, ham and more mic muffin
    I marinated tuna in a little mirin, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic, wok oil and spices... made pappardelle from courgette and fried gently for two minutes in butter in a very large frying pan, sliced fennel thinly, fried in butter for a few minutes then stirred in creme fraiche and a little vinegar... crisp green beans and it was all brilliant...

Formula 1 here in Bahrain .. the excitement here on the island is palpable... :) Cannot wait for testing today....
    I had mic muffin with goat's cheese and cherry tomatoes picked fresh from my garden
    Lunch will be the left-overs from last night's tuna feast
    Dinner will be chicken soup made with fresh stock from poaching a whole, small chicken...

I will use the breast for today's soup - and whatever the cats can manage - and the dark meat for a Thai curry with courgette noodles tomorrow... eaten for lunch while I watch the F1 Qualifying.... I will probably have a couple of glasses of crispy white wine too... :) Then I will take all the left-over chicken to my dustbin cats... Eggs for supper and a slice of Stracciatella cake with cream...then drinks with friends... sigh... a lovely day I think... :)

Sometimes being diabetic is not as bad as it might seem... It makes me cook inventively and it's always so tasty.... I love Masterchef but they are not as good as us at invention tests I reckon... ;)

• Like Like x 12
  11. Tweetypie

Tweetypie Other · Well-Known Member

Yesterday I had:

B: Hot water and lemon. Chia pudding with cream and cinnamon. Highest reading after was 5.7 (from 4.6).
    L: Some leftover chicken and salmon with steamed veggies and a baby avocado.
    T: Roasted med veg with baked cod loin and avocado, topped with herb butter, crumbled shropshire blue cheese and drizzled with olive oil and turmeric
    Supper/bed: Raspberries and cream with cinnamon
    Drinks: water and a herb tea

Avocado Tip: If you love avocados like I do, ASDA are now selling a bag of 6 baby avocados for £1.75 at the moment. I find it hard to find avocados at a good price and the baby ones are my faves cos there are no leftovers that might go brown. If anyone knows of a better buy than this, I'd love to know - I bought 2 bags to stash in case they stop selling them suddenly (i've never seen them in ASDA before). If they are too firm, I pop in a brown bag on top of my fridge to ripen. If they are a bit soft, I pop them in the fridge. If they are just right, I keep them in my fruit bowl. Love avocados!
    Have yet to find a way of keeping leftovers from going brown though.............not too much of a problem as I can't resist finishing them off, but this would be useful to know if I was taking them out as a salad for the day though :)

• Like Like x 8
  12. KateA

KateA Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I tend to go with the make it and eat it straight away method for avocado salad. The skin/shells are also a handy container. This may help though.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5787760_keep-avocado-turning-brown.html

• Like Like x 2
  13. Top tip for stopping cut avocados from browning is to store them in a covered container with their stone. The stone somehow protects them. Don't know why, but it works :)

• Like Like x 6
  14. Tweetypie

Thanks, I tried that but it didn't work :( perhaps i am not using the right container. Might try it again

• Like Like x 2
  15. AndBreathe

AndBreathe I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

You can buy avocado here, already cut, and sealed in a very strong shrink wrap sort of plastic. I haven't tried them, as it all seems a bit processed to me, and leftover halves simply aren't an issue in this household!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Come to think of it, it worked for me when making guacamole, but there was also lime juice in the guacamole. That maybe made a difference. I just stored it in a bowl with the stone and covered it in cling film - it was still nice and green the next day. If in doubt, gobble it all up so there are no leftovers to worry about :D

• Like Like x 5
  17. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Lemon or lime juice works. I'm guessing vinegar would too.

Sometimes I freeze a leftover half, wrapped in cling film, then lob it in a green smoothie.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Tweetypie

Thanks, hadn't thought about freezing.
    Will have to try a citrussy, oil and vinegar dressing if doing as an eat later salad. One of those elements will surely work!

• Like Like x 3
  19. Susikav

I popped my half down on a piece of clingfilm, pushed it down gently to get the air out, folded the edges over and put it face-down in the fridge on the shelf... it stayed perfect till the next morning... could have been a fluke, haven't tried it since, but was impressed enough to show my husband and son!

• Like Like x 3
  20. Ellie-70

Ellie-70 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello Susi,
    The recipe is already on the 'Low Carb Recipes' thread and is called Ellie's Ginger Nut biscuits. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook