Stopping smoking

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Not recently but 30 years ago ...YOU can do it...yes it is hard but YOU can do it...take each day at a time and congratulate yourself after each day...:)

Reactions: 7 people

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
Water is your friend. When I finally managed to give up 9 years ago I (and my husband) did it cold turkey with the aid of an everlasting bottle of water. Constant sipping sort of replaces the smoking action and fills you up a bit and keeps you out of the fridge so you dont gain the weight some do when they give up.

Seriously if I managed it, you can.

Count down one day at a time. Id say the first 3 weeks were the hardest but it gets so much easier afrer that. And if you wobble, dont worry, get disheartened and give up giving up, just realise its just a wobble and carry on.

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
My much better half just stopped after hypnotherapy .... took 3 weeks. Amazing transformation.

Reactions: 6 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Concentrate on not having the one cigarette, just the one, never mind later. And then do it again, and again. Every time, just don't smoke the one. Not many, is it? One. Anyone can not smoke one cigarette.
After a while I found the desire to keep the tally unbroken was more powerful that the desire for a smoke.
Best of luck. If I can do it, anyone can.

Reactions: 9 people

tpowell29210

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I quit eight months ago using the patch and following the course of use set out in the instructions. I had tried using the patch before by starting with the 2nd step for a few weeks and continuing to smoke after work. Total failure. However when I followed the patch program I quit successfully 8 months ago. I joined an on-line program and I pledge everyday not to smoke. I was diagnosed as T2 5 months ago .

Reactions: 4 people

Fi2000

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped smoking 12 years ago. I got patches off of my doctor, it took me 8 weeks. The first 4 are the worst. But doing as @DeejayR said by taking it one cigarette at a time is wise advice.
I had tried to stop smoking 2 years before that using the Nicorette Inhalator. But failed after 3 weeks.
Sometimes when I'm stressed I could go a cigarette. But don't. But also now as a non smoker when I do smell cigarette smoke, it make me feel sick.
It isn't easy, but the health benefits are so worth it.
Wishing you the best of luck

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I love the smell of "foreign" (French usually) ciggies and roll-ups (which are proper, not your tipped packet poison). Cigars are a bit too whiffy and pipes are :***:
I long ago lost all craving but still dream that I smoke, always guiltily.
On my third weekend without cigs I told Mrs DeeJay-to-be that our relationship was over and we had no future together. I think withdrawals sent me mad. She went home to her mum and waited for me to see sense (I believe she is still waiting, but married me anyway 25 years ago).
Giving up is hard but worth it and you will feel proud. Check out a few tobacco-scarred lungs on Google images from time to time.

Gezzabelle

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped 8 months ago and haven't looked back...feels so good to be free of the addiction....and the cough and the nasty smell....and to be able to breathe again. One day at a time and get help if you need to. I used a vape to get me through the hardest days....:)

Reactions: 10 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
15 years +, and going strong!

The doctor gave me tablets (no idea) what they were, but they did work, with my will power and encouragement from everyone. I have never smoked again. The wife still does, she won't give them up, I've tried everything, she says us ex smokers are the worse!

C

chris lowe

Well done, two days is two days. As you say one day at a time!I gave up some time ago and used patches, but it was the middle of summer (you know, those days when it used to get really hot - sometimes for weeks at a time :D) and after about a week I put my patch in and it was really humid and the patch disappeared somewhere and I never noticed it was gone, so decided that it was probably a pschological thing and didn't bother after that. I did have a cigar last year. It was Ladie Day at Goodwood Races and I had a winner so I celebrated with a cigar, but can't say it was the start of a downward spiral to nicotine hell. Had the one, didn't want another :)

Reactions: 7 people

Welshgooner

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tottenham and High BS scores
I tried the patches - but they were really hard to light

also ended up with 2nd degree burns with them

Lozenges much better

Reactions: 9 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I gave up a few years back using Hypnotherapy...I quit for about 3 years...then sadly fell victim to it again when I met one of my ex's. I'm now at a stage where I'm wanting/needing to do it again...I've got a vape thing that I used during the day, but it gives me a weird sensation in my throat so a little wary of it...although still sure it's probably better than an actual cigarette.

A little tip I found last time I gave up though was to keep a packet of cigarettes in my bag...had the same packet there unopened for two years...but just knowing they were there kind of helped me somehow...maybe a little strange but it worked.

Good luck @drahawkins_1973...it'll be worth it in the end :)

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I stopped 26 years ago after numerous attempts. Had little choice because its forbidden to smoke in the cardiac intensive care unit. So I can say that smoking stopped me. Later had bypass surgery and that was almost 13 years ago. There is a good connection between smoking and cardiovascular disease [ CVD]
So its one day at a time until eventually it leaves your system. Since the nicotine is addictive it means that you must NEVER SMOKE EVEN ONE MORE CIGARETTE AGAIN IN YOUR LIFE.. Thats why I made numerous attempts.

The good news is that you will feel better than before, much better. You will als greatly reduce your chances of getting CVD and of course cancer.

Have a look here,

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3084482/

Last edited by a moderator:

drahawkins_1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I gave up a few years back using Hypnotherapy...I quit for about 3 years...then sadly fell victim to it again when I met one of my ex's. I'm now at a stage where I'm wanting/needing to do it again...I've got a vape thing that I used during the day, but it gives me a weird sensation in my throat so a little wary of it...although still sure it's probably better than an actual cigarette.

A little tip I found last time I gave up though was to keep a packet of cigarettes in my bag...had the same packet there unopened for two years...but just knowing they were there kind of helped me somehow...maybe a little strange but it worked.

Good luck @drahawkins_1973...it'll be worth it in the end :)

Thanks Natalie,

I too have packet at home, weirdly helps me too! (well so far, lets not tempt fate :))

C

chris lowe

I can remember my mum smoking Passing Clouds cigaretted and also Sobraine which were different pastel colour. Very glamourous!

Reactions: 3 people

JAY1JAY1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I got the doc to prescribe CHAMPIX they did the job for me :)