Out of Curiosity thread, an update ?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hmmm...is it really that much of a big deal? Laurence Llewellyn Bowen did not just sneak into your house whilst you were out and 'boudoir' up your living room in garish red! It's just a forum. Surely the colour and layout isn't particularly important so long as the information and support remains strong and valuable...

It is important if it hurts/strains the eyes.

Reactions: 6 people

kellsbells

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One thing that stands out for me about those who have a diabetes diagnosis and are frequent visitors to this forum is that they are some of the greatest examples of adaptation I have ever come across. The colour/contrast is not exponentially changed from before in my humble newbie opinion. Over 100+ comments by a tiny clutch of people out of thousands and thousands of members. You're absolutely right, changes must be made immediately!! Or you could just change the contrast of your screen. Or whack some shades on. My point remains the same, in the grand scheme of diabetes, not so pressing and important of an issue...

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
There have been PLENTY of people who don't like the (colour) change so you're about on your lonesome.

Edited by Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

kellsbells

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First off I Do Not define myself on my diabetes alone and Will Not be placed in some internet higher archy because you say I should. Beyond the fact that I have diabetes, you know very little about me. I would rather implement a sarcastic tone, than a bullying one. Well done you.
Further, the length of time I have been on this forum is not directly related to the amount of knowledge I have on the subject of diabetes, or if I should dare to have an opinion on something. You cannot possibly know how quickly I assimilate information and knowledge. Its a diabetes forum, not a 'login and kiss butt to your diabetic superiors' forum.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
One thing that stands out for me about those who have a diabetes diagnosis and are frequent visitors to this forum is that they are some of the greatest examples of adaptation I have ever come across. The colour/contrast is not exponentially changed from before in my humble newbie opinion. Over 100+ comments by a tiny clutch of people out of thousands and thousands of members. You're absolutely right, changes must be made immediately!! Or you could just change the contrast of your screen. Or whack some shades on. My point remains the same, in the grand scheme of diabetes, not so pressing and important of an issue...

I think you are missing the point, some of the members have sight problems and have struggled to get their screens to show things in a colour/brightness they can see, or for those of them who suffer with bright light photophobia these improvements are not working are you suggesting they are not as important as those who do not suffer in this way, suggesting they should "Whack on some shades" is thoughtless and archaic, for them the forum may as well not exist.

Reactions: 7 people

kellsbells

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
On that point I'm happy to stand corrected. Particularly when you take the time to answer meaningfully and educationally.
Did anyone mention photophobia in the thread? I could have read up on it.

I wasn't being thoughtless though, I was being flippant. Flippant doesn't necessarily come from a place of malice.

On your point of some people being more important than others. Some people who have been around here a lot longer than me, appear to think that they are more important than others. Even if the posts get amended.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I didn't amend the post, so yet another incorrect assumption. You're batting 10

Reactions: 4 people

kellsbells

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I never suggested YOU did. I merely said the post was amended. Which it was.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
On that point I'm happy to stand corrected. Particularly when you take the time to answer meaningfully and educationally.
Did anyone mention photophobia in the thread? I could have read up on it.

I wasn't being thoughtless though, I was being flippant. Flippant doesn't necessarily come from a place of malice.

On your point of some people being more important than others. Some people who have been around here a lot longer than me, appear to think that they are more important than others. Even if the posts get amended.

I do not believe any of the "Old Timers" on here consider they are better than anyone else, and I fail to see why I should have to explain that I have photophobia which makes bright blocks of colour, bright screen resolution, reduction in shades of colour and other changes in the colour scheme extremely difficult to cope with.

Reactions: 6 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So it would seem the colour red is indeed inciting anger and negative feelings ? :eek:;)

How about a switch to a nice, calming blue ? :D;) Oh wait - that's been done elsewhere :rolleyes:

@kellsbells , any deletions or amendments are performed by the moderators, and IMHO , all members are equally important , and all points of view should be heard. I think that if something it causing physical problems, then it should be looked at for their sakes, but for myself, I don't spend that much time looking at it to form an opinion.

Signy

Reactions: 9 people

kellsbells

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I guess the point of bringing it up would be educational and helpful to others. You wouldn't necessarily have to lay claim to being a sufferer in order to do so though. That's not to say you are in any way at fault for not educating me or others out there. I dont see it as you having some kind of expectation put upon you or anything. Equally though, if that information in general doesn't reach someone like me, I don't believe I should be reprimanded for not having it, just simply corrected. As you kindly did.

I'll just assume you didn't see the post directed at me to be more respectful to those who have been on the forum a lot longer than me. Which would certainly suggest I should 'know my place' and my opinions are less important.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
We have somewhere to help each other at no cost to ourselves. None of this other stuff is really anything other than a minor irritation at worst.

We can use it or not.

We can also give people time to make changes. i am sure they have a real world/work outside of here.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a condition among my many impairments, Scotopic sensitivity syndrome. This causes perceptual difficulties and some colours cause visual distress. For me bright red on screen triggers severe visual discomfort. I have turned the brightness down on screen but that makes it difficult to read the text. Sunglasses and adaptive filters I have for my spectacles don't help here. (Got someone else to type this for me). Last night looking at the DCUK pages I had a severe sudden reaction that caused pain and distortion of vision for several hours. The bright red colour will restrict my use of forum pages.

More info if anyone is remotely interested in easing my discomfort and reducing the brightness of the red www.irlen.org.uk

Tagging @Giverny

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I do not believe any of the "Old Timers" on here consider they are better than anyone else, and I fail to see why I should have to explain that I have photophobia which makes bright blocks of colour, bright screen resolution, reduction in shades of colour and other changes in the colour scheme extremely difficult to cope with.

Hi sd,
But a lot of us ole timmers, do know how the forum is run and the in's and out's and from many angles too. Definitely no hierarchy:wideyed: The forum wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the members, and this thread is the 2nd one on the same subject and then another member started another one about other changes too.
(with apologises, I thought it was poohtiggy and it wasn't :oops:) So it would appear there is a lot of support from members. It started with a member asking why the members status had been changed, a very simple and polite question and that was 8 days ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have a condition among my many impairments, Scotopic sensitivity syndrome. This causes perceptual difficulties and some colours cause visual distress. For me bright red on screen triggers severe visual discomfort. I have turned the brightness down on screen but that makes it difficult to read the text. Sunglasses and adaptive filters I have for my spectacles don't help here. (Got someone else to type this for me). Last night looking at the DCUK pages I had a severe sudden reaction that caused pain and distortion of vision for several hours. The bright red colour will restrict my use of forum pages.

More info if anyone is remotely interested in easing my discomfort and reducing the brightness of the red www.irlen.org.uk

Tagging @Giverny

Hopefully Giverny will look into this problem very soon Pipp.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I value people of any length of having diabetes and any length of time on the firum. Just because I'm a supposed LeGend I still learn from others everyday. Whether new or old member. My colours on iphone app look just the same to me. Perhaps I've now become colour blind?

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I value people of any length of having diabetes and any length of time on the firum. Just because I'm a supposed LeGend I still learn from others everyday. Whether new or old member. My colours on iphone app look just the same to me. Perhaps I've now become colour blind?

Hopefully not colour blind DD :wideyed:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hmmm...is it really that much of a big deal? Laurence Llewellyn Bowen did not just sneak into your house whilst you were out and 'boudoir' up your living room in garish red! It's just a forum. Surely the colour and layout isn't particularly important so long as the information and support remains strong and valuable...

Three threads have been started and well over 200 posts in all, so I would take that as the large majority are not to pleased with many of the changes that have taken place.

Regards and best wishes RRB

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@Giverny , I hate to be a pest but I have noticed when using the tagging system because of the size and colour of the advert strip on the bottom of the page the Tags can disappear into the advert especially if there are a lot of same names, not sure what if anything can be done to make it easier for those of us that have visual problems but I'm sure we all would appreciate your looking into it.