What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - after 7 months in the wilderness initiated by Christmas and perpetuated by my inability to stay away from Carbs I am back!! Dipped my toe in the low carb meal camp again last week but blood sugar failed to respond so I decided to sulk and have a couple of Ciders at the weekend! Yesterday I started again but cheated with a brown bread roll when I got home from work as I was starving (why is it that all the best snacks are carby ones!)

Anyway, today I woke up with a 7.1 (yay!) and so am now enthused to continue but I need some ideas for less monotonous meals - breakfast seems to be eggs all the time, occasionally bacon (still worried about cholesterol though!).

Breakfast - Cheese Omelette
Lunch - Tuna Salad (but forgot the dressing so a bit plain!) - tested before and go a 6.1 (yay again!)
Dinner - will be chicken and roasted veggies
Snack - Glass of red with a square or two of 70% chocolate from ALDI

What would you like to eat for breakfast? That way we can resist suggesting you have, say, beef madras, if that's not your thing.

Reactions: 4 people

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably inactivity didn't help, but the main thrust of last meal effect is something I would express differently.

As simply as I can manage, our bodies work on a routine. It gets used to when we get up, when we eat, sleep, work and whatever. As a part of that our digestions are similar. You know how it is, we probably get hungry about the same time each day, and so on. In the background, our digestive systems are geared up for food that mimics what we have been eating recently, and as such the required hormones and digestive enzymes are around and about. Where we then lump in something new, in any quantity, as you did with the pastry (but it could be fat, protein or anything really), our systems can be rather caught short and not able to digest it efficiently. Think (old life) Christmas dinner feasting, or the opposite of what happens with carb flu. With carb flu, the body is objecting to the reductions. With last meal effect, or as I call it in my head, "enzyme-lag", our bodies are caught short, and deal with it best they can, which can include increased blood readings.

If you were to repeat the same pattern today, you might find your score improved a bit, because your pastry wouldn't be a complete shock to your system, and repeated again, it could be better again. How much improvement any individual can expect ir really down to their own bodies, and the level of change they are imposing on their systems at any given time.

So, that's why you may observe folks on here advising not to count out or in and reintroduced food, based on on iteration.

It's completely up to you how you choose to handle your most recent "experiment" and the results, but please do bear in mind the concept, or you could find yourself repeated discounting foods when agreeing a window for modification with yourself might be kinder, physically and psychologically.

Good luck with it all.

Nicely put AB, now I understand, I have now seen the light, thanks

Reactions: 2 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@A new man I was interested to read your post as your circumstances are a match for my own. I was diagnosed type 2 last july and went lchf which resulted in weight loss and vastly improved sugar levels but I fell off the wagon at chritmas time and have only just returned. Today is day 1 again and I'm finding restarting is hard! I wish you good luck. I think we are going to need some determination. :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The best tips I have ever seen for re-entering LC are these:

Don't expect it to be as bad, this time round - your body remembers and re-entry is always easier
Drink more water than you think you need
Take the extra salt (broth, bovril, salt on food) from the start, don't wait til you feel droopy and limp to do it.
Eat enough fat to prevent hunger - if that means a coffee with cream several times a day, then so be it
Wait til the carb cravings subside before you start cutting down calories or food intake (for those who want to lose weight)

There, the secrets of LC in 5 easy steps lol.
Can you tell I've been on and off the wagon a few times?

Of them all, I personally find no 4 (eating enough fat to avoid hunger) the most important. It kills the cravings. But maybe that is just me...

Reactions: 10 people

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone,

I hope your all feeling great and enjoying your summer, as it's Winter here and the last few days have been the coldest on record, for over a decade, so nobodies use to it and their all feeling it. Anyway take care everyone and enjoy each day as it comes.

Prior 5:45 hrs, 10.2
Breakfast: 2 Soft Boiled Eggs and a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar
After 07:15 hrs, 11.4

Lunch: Just a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar

Dinner: Steamed Fillet of Fish with Blanched Baby Beans with some Butter and a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar
After: 20:00 hrs, 11.5, Didn't test prior to dinner but I maybe should of, (Will From Here On)

Stemar, (Downunder)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - after 7 months in the wilderness initiated by Christmas and perpetuated by my inability to stay away from Carbs I am back!! Dipped my toe in the low carb meal camp again last week but blood sugar failed to respond so I decided to sulk and have a couple of Ciders at the weekend! Yesterday I started again but cheated with a brown bread roll when I got home from work as I was starving (why is it that all the best snacks are carby ones!)

Anyway, today I woke up with a 7.1 (yay!) and so am now enthused to continue but I need some ideas for less monotonous meals - breakfast seems to be eggs all the time, occasionally bacon (still worried about cholesterol though!).

Breakfast - Cheese Omelette
Lunch - Tuna Salad (but forgot the dressing so a bit plain!) - tested before and go a 6.1 (yay again!)
Dinner - will be chicken and roasted veggies
Snack - Glass of red with a square or two of 70% chocolate from ALDI

I have lots of breakfast ideas depending on how keen you are! These pancakes are delicious with a handful of berries and cream:
http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2014/07/egg-fast-recipe-snickerdoodle-crepes-low-carb.html
English breakfast muffins: http://beautyandthefoodie.com/quick-paleo-english-muffins/ which can be made either sweet or savoury. Could spread with butter / almond butter / marmite / cream cheese or try making chia seed jam - no cooking required! https://sumptuousspoonfuls.wordpress.com/2012/06/08/no-cook-strawberry-chia-jam-a-berrylicious-post/
Thanks to hankjam I have also recently discovered chia pudding which makes a quick and easy no cook breakfast. Many recipes on the internet but I have used this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/08/coconut-lime-raspberry-chia-pudding.html

Reactions: 7 people

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, back to the theme of the thread!
B: raspberry, coconut & lime chia pudding
L: coconut 'flatbread' with melted brie and marmite - this was delicious :0)
D: roast duck breast, cauliflower rice and home grown kale - finally a productive veg patch.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

I hope your all feeling great and enjoying your summer, as it's Winter here and the last few days have been the coldest on record, for over a decade, so nobodies use to it and their all feeling it. Anyway take care everyone and enjoy each day as it comes.

Prior 5:45 hrs, 10.2
Breakfast: 2 Soft Boiled Eggs and a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar
After 07:15 hrs, 11.4

Lunch: Just a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar

Dinner: Steamed Fillet of Fish with Blanched Baby Beans with some Butter and a cup of coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar
After: 20:00 hrs, 11.5, Didn't test prior to dinner but I maybe should of, (Will From Here On)

Stemar, (Downunder)
I have to ask:
What's with the sugar?
Have your numbers always been low double digit or are they working their way down?
In wonder.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: chia et al with half a nectarine and rasps
11: strong black coffee, nuts and cheese
L: same as yesterday
D: Haddock/almonds/butter, broccoli, SK and coleslaw, rasps.
Lovely.

Reactions: 8 people

Shelly69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cheese, ham and spinach for lunch
Steak, roasted spinach balls and roasted radish for dinner
Snacks Raspberries, creme fraiche and 25 g high cocoa dark chocolate!
I have hit a plateau after shifting 15kgs, have around 30 grams of carbs a day? Any advice help appreciated, well done everyone LCHF has been amazing

Reactions: 6 people

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have hit a plateau after shifting 15kgs, have around 30 grams of carbs a day? Any advice help appreciated, well done everyone LCHF has been amazing
@Shelly69,
how much more would you like to lose and how long did the 15kgs take to drop?
What is your BG control like?
Sorry if you've posted this else where.
You seem to be getting a good range of foods.
I've flattened out and would probably like to lose a touch more round the middle but I reckon more physical exercise is going to be needed to move it.
Doing good.
Hj

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hello shelly69, great work, really encouraging,i found that only by weighing my food and limiting my cals to 900 a day did i come off the plateau...and start losing steadily again ,1 st 3 st was relatively easy, then i had to weigh and limit my cals to get going again,hope this helps

Shelly69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@hankjam
It has taken me around 5 months to loose the weight it has been very slow as i was taking glicizide at the time. My BG is now within normal limits occasionally on the low side, still on 500mg Metformin OD. I do try and have a wide range of food and trying new recipes, so hoping the combination may help to kick start weight loss again, I gained so much on Glicizide . Thanks for your message

Reactions: 3 people

Shelly69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Clive
I am having around 1200 a day, and use myfitnesspal to keep an eye on carbs etc, I am very careful, started walking more as gym is not great for me too many hypo's great on here for help and support thank you well done on your loss and good luck!

Reactions: 8 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B: Scrambled eggs, bacon, mushrooms, home-made almond/flax bread. Coffee & cream
L: Mussels in leftover fish curry sauce
D: Courgette "pasta" ribbons softened in butter with garlic, shallot, pepper & mushrooms, & grated cheese on top
Today I made some pesto, and also tried a recipe for pickled courgettes which will be ready after a few days in the fridge.
I also managed to give away a couple of courgettes so I'm down to 2 green 'uns in the fridge and 6 yellow ones growing by the minute on the allotment!

Reactions: 11 people