What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
  • B: 6 loganberries picked when I got up + tablsp of full fat Greek yoghurt, cinnamon + 1 tablsp chia seeds soaked overnight in almond milk and cocoa
  • L: Leek unrolled and 6 strips steamed until soft, then used to build Leek Lasagne, with philly cheese, nutmeg and egg sauce alternated with a lentil and tomato sauce with herbs , onion and garlic, then baked off to finish and brown the crust. Green salad to go with. Then, rest of cocoa chia seeds with double cream, and a square of 85%.

Such a good idea with the leeks! I am going to use that this week me thinks. Another good way to get veg into my son.

G-C

Reactions: 6 people

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
How much buckwheat can you tolerate? I make sauces and gravy with it. It's cheaper than other ground stuff!
And what are you cooking on?
End of inquisition.
Have a good day :)

Thanks for asking Deejay.
I'm cooking on a camping gas ring. I have about an ounce of buckwheat flour. I'm not sure what I can tolerate yet. I'm experimenting. I thicken sauces by reduction rather than using carbs.

Reactions: 4 people

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
What is a bullet proof coffee?

Reactions: 2 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to like beer anymore!!
What is a bullet proof coffee?
Recipes vary, but it's basically a nice strong quality black coffee with a couple of tablespoons each of butter and coconut oil whipped into it.

I've only come across it recently myself. Tastier than it sounds.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everybody. I'm really not doing well at keeping on track at present but I did make a crust less quiche for tea with bacon, mushrooms, onions cooked with cottage cheese and grated cheddar and of course the beaten eggs. It was delicious. :)

Reactions: 9 people

trinity0097

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B - spinach and cottage cheese pancakes with crispy bacon and a spoonful of no-sugar maple syrup
L - small low carb tortilla made into a ham and cheese pizza, some pepper with late on as a starter
Snack - seed crisp bread with butter
D - roast lamb with fried courgette and runner beans

I also made some courgette and rubber bean creamy soup to have tomorrow

Reactions: 11 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B - pork sausages, babybel.
L - Bulletproof coffee.
D - Smoked salmon, courgettes, spring onion, scambled egg.
S - A fat bomb. ( butter, cream cheese, boiled egg all mushed up, formed into balls and coated with bits of crispy bacon. I made a batch of them.)

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can you explain? I'm too new to this to understand what that is.

Separate to that ... I do like the variety in this thread, the variety of what people really eat (as opposed to what you see listed in all those diet publications, etc).
Fat bombs are a way of getting fat without the carbs, or with minimal carbs. They can be savoury or sweet and are usually a combination of some of butter, coconut oil, cream cheese, cream, nuts, seeds ….. See post no 1487 for a savoury example. I have posted the recipe for a sweet one but can’t find it. Google it and you’ll find lots of recipes. I use them as a way of getting calories and fat without the carbs now that I am trying to maintain my weight rather than lose any more.

Christinerm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
B: Coconut flour / flax bread - 2 slices toasted, one with almond butter and one with cream cheese
L: Cream of kale soup, hot smoked salmon salad, handful of blueberries
S: 2 babybel
D: Roast chicken leg, 2 small roasted new potatoes, garden broccoli, jelly & cream

Reactions: 10 people

GeoffersTaylor

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
B: Coconut flour / flax bread - 2 slices toasted, one with almond butter and one with cream cheese
L: Cream of kale soup, hot smoked salmon salad, handful of blueberries
S: 2 babybel
D: Roast chicken leg, 2 small roasted new potatoes, garden broccoli, jelly & cream
Do you have a recipe for cream of Kale soup? Sounds delicious.

Reactions: 2 people

mehhh2015

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
FBG: 5

B: Coffee with lactofree
L: Wahaca's chicharron style pork scratchings with guacamole (delish). Steak salad lettuce, avocado, sunflower seeds.
D: 1 pork sausage with sauerkraut. 1 square of 70% choc.

Reactions: 10 people

Hedonista

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just invented a new meal. I was simmering lots of nice veg (onions, courgettes, celery, brocolli, green peppers, fennel and parsley and oak smoked garlic) in a little stock, ready to steam some lovely undyed smoked haddock over it. When I unwrapped the fish I realised it was out of date and smelled funny. So I added some tinned tuna and capers and heated it through, getting rid of all the liquid, then grated some mature cheddar over the lot and grilled it. Sort of a tuna melt - really nice!!

Reactions: 7 people

AllyH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bad manners, cottage cheese lol
Breakfast was 3 rashers back bacon, a fried egg and 4 fried mushrooms

No Lunch

Dinner :I had peppered steak, 3 baby potatoes, small portion of spinach and a steam fresh bag with broccoli carrot and cauliflower.

Snacks: Bowl of Strawberries and some double cream

Last edited by a moderator:

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fat bombs are a way of getting fat without the carbs, or with minimal carbs. They can be savoury or sweet and are usually a combination of some of butter, coconut oil, cream cheese, cream, nuts, seeds ….. See post no 1487 for a savoury example. I have posted the recipe for a sweet one but can’t find it. Google it and you’ll find lots of recipes. I use them as a way of getting calories and fat without the carbs now that I am trying to maintain my weight rather than lose any more.

OMG - I can't imagine the day I'll be saying I don't want to lose any more weight! I'll be in my grave before then, I'm sure!

JenniferW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs.
Snack: Peanuts (way more than I needed - compulsive eating).
Lunch: Pilchards, cucumber, avocado, radishes, pickled onions, mayonnaise.
Dinner: Chinese style pork sausages (cooked with olive oil, spices, onion, yellow pepper, mushrooms and tahini) & green beans. Soya yoghurt (way too much).

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG - I can't imagine the day I'll be saying I don't want to lose any more weight! I'll be in my grave before then, I'm sure!

@JenniferW you might be surprised.... I have to say I was pretty worried I was not going flatten out on the weight lose... but it did happen. ;)

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B; couple of nuts and a few rasps.
L: three egg omelette, ham and cheese
D: spinach, aubergine, runner bean monkfish tail coconut milk curry..... way too much rasps and creme fraiche

BG not been so good today
am: 5.6
pre: 5.9

Been eating a bit too much... though it has been very close today and am actually sweating typing this in.... and I am in Fife!!!

Reactions: 8 people

Gravity-Carb

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Recipes vary, but it's basically a nice strong quality black coffee with a couple of tablespoons each of butter and coconut oil whipped into it.

I've only come across it recently myself. Tastier than it sounds.

Oh wow. I was doing tsps!! Man tablespoons of the stuff?? Really??