Does over eating give you Type 2 diabetes or does diabetes make you over eat

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes . I think for diabetes low carb is the best option . I don't think a human being is design to just eat meet and dairy if we where we would have teeth like a lion . But. There is so many hidden carbs in are food that it is a problem to find foods that are healthy . Since being diagnosed iv had to look at the foods I buy like all diabetics . And was shocked to see how much processed sugar there is . So now I cook all my own foods and iv cut out all processed sugar which has worked for me . I still eat grain but only whole grain and not a lot
Clive

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with Jenny Ruhl's view that insulin resistance drives overeating. She's read the scientific literature that I'm too lazy to read, lol.

There's a lot of T2 in my family, and some T1 as well. I have been an overeater for as long as I can remember. In childhood pictures I started looking overweight from about the age of 5. It really took off in my early 30s and I started noticing wildly fluctuating BGs then. By 38 I had T2. Since then I have lost several stone and went from a BMI of 46 to 27 in a year.

I'm not responsible for the way I was allowed to overeat as a child but I can turn it around now. I don't believe that my overeating even as an adult was totally down to my choice to overeat, but certainly I chose to stop doing it. It doesn't matter now. All that matters is what we choose to do today.

Hi . Can I ask if the urge to over eat is still with you after all this time or did it decrees along with your BG going down

Reactions: 3 people

T2 Med free

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I've just read an article that has found some new evidence that it is the diabetes that is making people put on weight not the Weight giving people diabetes . There is some research going on at the moment that diabetes switches of the chemical that tells us when we are full so we eat more .if this is the case there are a lot of people who think that it must be are fault as we must have eaten to much . I'm thin and I'm type2 and have been told it's genetic . My friend was over weight and he got it by being big

T2 Med free

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Type 2 they say it is due to being excessively overweight no necessarily so.. It takes time to cut back on your food intake mind over matter believe me it is possible and of course watch your sugar intake and you will feel fantastic.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type 2 they say it is due to being excessively overweight no necessarily so.. It takes time to cut back on your food intake mind over matter believe me it is possible and of course watch your sugar intake and you will feel fantastic.

Hi . Yes it is not an easy road . But I think once you get your BG levels right the urge to over eat goes . I'm not over weight but as soon as my levels where in the normal range my urge to eat went down . So I looked up why this was and that is when I started this thread
Clive

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi did you find the same thing . When your levels were right you hunger subsided

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi . Can I ask if the urge to over eat is still with you after all this time or did it decrees along with your BG going down
It has decreased a lot and I hardly ever feel like overeating now. I believe carbs were causing the urge to overeat. It was a vicious cycle that I broke by reducing carbs. I need the increased fats to make me feel satisfied and to give me energy. But eating fats with moderate to high carbs causes weight gain. So I can only eat increased fats because I am low carbing.

The other factor that was driving my urge to overeat was that the excess body fat was driving insulin resistance. Now that I have much less body fat, I have less insulin resistance and cravings. It could be argued that with an HbA1c I don't have insulin resistance anymore I guess.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . That's a really good outcome for you . It just goes to show how bad are modern day diet is . Maybe if governments and food company's got together to remove all the hidden sugar and over processed food the nation would be a lot healthier . I also think that the food we feed to farm animals is bad . I know in America they are now feeding cattle corn witch is not good and there cows are getting sick to . It's all about profit not nutrition . I keep chickens for eggs and the difference between my eggs . And even shop bought free range . Is amazing . Mine taste better look more yellow mine eat grass lots of insects and lots of veg
Clive

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Has anyone on here come across . Any more research on this subject

Clive

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . I'm still looking for more research . On this subject if anyone can help

reidpj

Check out: http://nusi.org They're a 'not for profit' organisation. Their mission statement: The mission of Nutrition Science Initiative is to reduce the individual, social, and economic costs of obesity, diabetes, and their related diseases by improving the quality of science in nutrition and obesity research.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Check out: http://nusi.org They're a 'not for profit' organisation. Their mission statement: The mission of Nutrition Science Initiative is to reduce the individual, social, and economic costs of obesity, diabetes, and their related diseases by improving the quality of science in nutrition and obesity research.
Hi thanks for the link . Clive

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . If you look back or the 50s are diet was much more balanced . There has been a Hugh increase in sugar that has been going on for some years now . I do think it is the sugar in are food that is the problem . But the food .industry is huge and is making billions of pounds . And are buying there way in to politics and that gives then so much influence . I think until the sugar is cut down in are foods this pandemic will continue . There is also new evidence that the chemical leptin and m s n . Malfunction when we have diabetes . So the hunger signal to the brain are not shut down . I think there is a lot more research needs to be done before there is conclusive evidence . I think the percentage is a 9% increase in diabetes and a 37% increase in obesity so looking at the figures diabetes has not followed the obesity trend . I'm still looking out for more research

Clive

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfz4720ooL3evd0aNphpFFw

That is the youtube channel of some indian diabetes association. There are lots of interesting presantantions there.

Here is one of the most interesting.

It is by a certain Doctor C.S. Yajnik. He is the person to the right on this famous picture. http://www.jomrjournal.org/articles/2014/1/1/images/JObesMetabRes_2014_1_1_55_123934_u4.jpg

You see that they have the same bmi, but the indian professor has over twice as much bodyfat! The presantantion is about individual obesity. He shows all the reasons why people can get diabetes even though they are very thin, bmi and bodyfat is not very related I am afraid, but hugely affected by genetics, epigenetics and lifestyle.

Here is also some research by Doctor Roy Taylor from Newcastle university, he shows how he cures diabetes by applying the same principles of personal fat threshold.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

I got lots of more research if you are interested, but I am going to put up my links when I have some more time.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfz4720ooL3evd0aNphpFFw

That is the youtube channel of some indian diabetes association. There are lots of interesting presantantions there.

Here is one of the most interesting.

It is by a certain Doctor C.S. Yajnik. He is the person to the right on this famous picture. http://www.jomrjournal.org/articles/2014/1/1/images/JObesMetabRes_2014_1_1_55_123934_u4.jpg

You see that they have the same bmi, but the indian professor has over twice as much bodyfat! The presantantion is about individual obesity. He shows all the reasons why people can get diabetes even though they are very thin, bmi and bodyfat is not very related I am afraid, but hugely affected by genetics, epigenetics and lifestyle.

Here is also some research by Doctor Roy Taylor from Newcastle university, he shows how he cures diabetes by applying the same principles of personal fat threshold.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

I got lots of more research if you are interested, but I am going to put up my links when I have some more time.

Hi thanks for this information . I'll watch this today . And I be very grateful if you could post more for me
Clive

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi thanks for this information . I'll watch this today . And I be very grateful if you could post more for me
Clive

Hi iv now watched the video you posted . Thanks and I'll look forward to seeing anymore you can find
Clive

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had already started losing weight when diagnosed. I thought my plantar fasciitis was a gym injury, doc thought diabetes and he was right.

When I met DSN for first time, literally the first thing that came out of her mouth was: " You don't look fat enough to have diabetes ". I didn't take it as the compliment she meant it as ! Husband muttered that she was a cheeky mare.

I count myself lucky that I have never had the hunger. Husband and I have always had two rules about eating.

1. Don't eat dinner on a tray in front of TV, actually sit at a table and talk.
2. Don't keep snacks (chocolate, crisps, sweets etc) in the house, if you want them, you have to make the effort and go buy them.

We ate healthily, I know everyone says that, but we had an allotment and grew lots of our own veg without chemicals and using natural spring water (very handy spring). We did eat a lot of soya mince (low carb) for about three years, rather than value burger rubbish because we were skint and more bread, potatoes and pasta than we would have done otherwise.

I blame my diabetes on the completely flawed low fat mantra that I was subjected to from age of ten.

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . Like you I'm not overweight . I eat home cooked food and I have my own chickens for the eggs . Just before I was diagnosed with type-2 I started to eat chewy sweets even my partner was getting concerned about the amount I was eating . I think my body was craving sugar and also started to drink orange juice . My levels when tested where 27 . I'm feeling a lot better now and my craving for sugar has gone . I have found out since being diagnosed that both my grand parents on my mothers side where diabetic and if I had known that maybe I would have got myself tested sooner and would not have thought it was only a disease of the overweight

Clive

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2DM can be a partly genetic thing. Not in my family but husband's mother and daughter are both T2DM and his mother and one of his sisters are both lactose-intolerant too.Husband seems to be the only gluten-intolerant one in his family though.

I mention the intolerance because a fundraising letter from The Soil Association mentions that animal experiments have shown that use of glyphosate (Roundup) at levels permissible in food, causes endocrine system disruption and digestive issues.

Glyphosate is now routinely used to kill and dry out wheat before harvest and can also be used on rice, sweet potatoes, beans, tame oats, flax ,non-GM rape, non-GM soy, lentils, peas, feed barley and sugar cane.

If you Google Roundup harvest staging, you will find a PDF for farmers. Sometimes the crop will be sprayed as little as three days before harvest.

Roundup has been identified by the research arm of the World Health Organisation as a probable human carcinogen. A group of farm workers who have developed cancer after years of using Roundup are now suing Monsanto.

I know that many people will say that organic food is too expensive, but since 2012 I have seen organic prices in supermarkets come down. The more I read about non-organic farming methods and food, the more relieved I am to be avoiding them. I'm not saying that there are no pesticides in organic food at all, but there should be a lot less and glyphosate (Roundup) isn't allowed at all.

Reactions: 5 people

Cl1ve

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi . I try to buy organic when I can . I keep chickens for the eggs . And thanks for the information on roundup I'll try and do a bit of research
I think food is now about profit and nothing to do with how healthy it is for you and the situation is never going to get better until the government starts to do something about . To many MPs sponsored by the food lobby . You have to ask yourself how they can still use roundup with so much scientific evidence against its use

Clive

Last edited by a moderator: