Not open for further replies.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think this is the hardest decision of all. Sometimes the pleasant, not relevant posts are good because they are chit chat that can bind us together as a group. Sometimes though this does indeed threaten to derail the thread. Maybe pleasant, but not particularly relevant posts could stay if the OP is part of the chit chat? I know that on my own weight loss thread the silly posts were as important to me as the sensible ones, but I can understand the frustration if the OP feels the purpose of the thread has been lost. It would be good if we all remembered the OP at times like this and kept some light-hearted posts there, but didn't let them take over the thread. I think it would be useful if members thought about this themselves so that it wasn't necessary for the mods to intervene.

Should we leave chit-chat posts in the threads then? So Off-topic posts within a thread are permitted. (If the OP complains, they can be removed?)

@Brunneria - updated the reason list, do those reasons look complete?

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Should we leave chit-chat posts in the threads then? So Off-topic posts within a thread are permitted. (If the OP complains, they can be removed?)

Like I said that's a tough decision. Common sense needs to prevail, it would never be right for a few people to always takeover threads completely with chit chat. That's annoying for everyone. I have seen this happen in the past and the mods were right to stop it. A couple of years ago the chit chat and joking around used to happen when it was clear that the thread had finished it's natural course. Is that OK or not?

At the other extreme, one time I and one other person had been answering a thread, trying to help the OP. We then started discussing things outside of the topic, but still with the OP's problem in mind. These later posts were put onto another thread, while in fact they were simply a good thought progression within the original question. I tagged the OP to the new thread because I considered our deliberations on the subject might have been relevant to him. On this occasion it was a shame to split the later posts from the original thread because although they were a digression they were still relevant.

Maybe we need thread etiquette guidance rather than rules as such in this area? I think some don't realise they are derailing threads and then they are hurt when posts are deleted. It would be a whole lot better if we all thought of the OP and others rather than relying on the mods to police this particular thing. If the OP isn't joining in anymore, then that's probably a sign to get right back on topic. We should be sensitive enough to realise it. There are plenty of chatty threads already and there's PM's too. What do you and others think? Was nosher's witty post asking me, a friend, if I'm back now, OK here or not? I always like it when others who have been away for a bit are greeted like this. I like the balance of informal/formal interaction. It's not about me though, it's about all of the members.

It would be good for others to say what they feel on the issue of off topic/chatty posts, because that would in turn help the mods with their decision on this sort of thing in the future. Then we will all be happy ;) :)

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

If you remove all the "chit-chat" posts would the forums then become a very formal and unwelcoming place ?

Reactions: 5 people

Claire007

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
*FYI, I've re-hidden the posts that were the topic of this conversation. Hope that's OK.*

Are you sure it's deleted @Administrator ? Was it regarding a low BS reading & not being hypo? Because that's pretty alarming ( to me anyway!) it's still there if it was.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
*FYI, I've re-hidden the posts that were the topic of this conversation. Hope that's OK.*

Are you sure it's deleted @Administrator ? Was it regarding a low BS reading & not being hypo? Because that's pretty alarming ( to me anyway!) it's still there if it was.

Just removed!

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
One more question - is it relevant to know the user who has reported the post, too?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It might be relevant, but I fear it would start a tit for tat campaign?

Reactions: 8 people

Simon84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
One more question - is it relevant to know the user who has reported the post, too?

i think it is,keep it in the open to put off any1 who keeps reporting a person just cos they dont like the person and just wants 2 get them in trouble

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't think it's fair to name anyone who's reported a post. Most people who make a report are quite apologetic about it, and it's not right to possibly deter the shyer members from reporting. Malicious reports are usually very easy to spot. Most are not malicious. They're simply bringing the mods attention to something that possibly needs looking at.

Reactions: 10 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
That's a terrible idea, IMO. People need to be able to report posts without fear or favour. It is then up to the mods to decide what action to take.

Reactions: 11 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a terrible idea, IMO. People need to be able to report posts without fear or favour. It is then up to the mods to decide what action to take.
I completely agree with Cat about this

Reactions: 11 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think @azure is right on this one, the mods can spot if someone is being malicious and deal with it accordingly. I wouldn't want anyone to know I had reported them and I wouldn't want to know who had reported me either (though I usually have a good idea who it may be :)).

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes thanks for this.

Re... - Please add 'Edited by moderator' to the post (moderator name is not required as this is saved in the log). Personally I think it's right to keep the mods identity private. It doesn't matter to me who edited the post as long as I know it was edited.

I agree with the 2 extra reasons quoted by Brunneria and I'm sure if there are others they can be added at a later date?

Personally, I disagree strongly that the Mod name is not required. I'm not saying this would apply to any of the current Mod population, but using a generic label can encourage over zealous moderation. Again personally, I would never be happy editing a post without making myself known.

If a Mod has reason to delete or amend something then there is surely no need to hide behind a generic title - irrespective of whether the rest of the Mod population can see who did it. That's when people get angry.

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Administrator - If I could just add that we have rather been here before, with a significant proportion of what we were promised simply not delivered, and I was personally told off for asking for progress updates.

Secondly, I also believe that the Mod have to apply a certain amount of discretion when it comes to deleting and editing. Sor example, recently a poster on the fasting blood scores thread posted he had had a particularly unpleasant hyper to hypo after eating pasta. I noted it (the hypo) was quite a regular thing and asked him (as I couldn't recall if he had said what he had eaten before) if his hypos were just after pasta or random. I was trying to help the guy who seems distressed by his predicament.

My post was deleted and I was told the thread was for posting blood scores, nothing else. Surely this forum is about helping people? Yes, we can go to PM, but if there is not helpful interactions in the open forum then new readers simply won't stick around because the forum will look like there are lots of problems being posted, but no help forthcoming.

(Leaving aside, not to mention the guy I was responding to just missed out on any ideas I might have had.)

OK, I was grumpy at being edited for trying to help someone, but you get the drift?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks @Administrator

I am sure we have forgotten some, but i expect you will find them soon enough when the system is up and running. :)

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Personally, I disagree strongly that the Mod name is not required. I'm not saying this would apply to any of the current Mod population, but using a generic label can encourage over zealous moderation. Again personally, I would never be happy editing a post without making myself known.

If a Mod has reason to delete or amend something then there is surely no need to hide behind a generic title - irrespective of whether the rest of the Mod population can see who did it. That's when people get angry.
I think if people get angry because they don't know which moderator took an action then they should remember that mods are usually volunteers and they have a difficult job as it is. I don't need to know which moderator takes an action. If I'm not happy about it I can PM the mods as a group and express my view. If there is over zealous moderation going on then that is a matter for the site owner to sort out. Forum users don't really have rights; we are guests of the owner.

Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Administrator - If I could just add that we have rather been here before, with a significant proportion of what we were promised simply not delivered, and I was personally told off for asking for progress updates.

Secondly, I also believe that the Mod have to apply a certain amount of discretion when it comes to deleting and editing. Sor example, recently a poster on the fasting blood scores thread posted he had had a particularly unpleasant hyper to hypo after eating pasta. I noted it (the hypo) was quite a regular thing and asked him (as I couldn't recall if he had said what he had eaten before) if his hypos were just after pasta or random. I was trying to help the guy who seems distressed by his predicament.

My post was deleted and I was told the thread was for posting blood scores, nothing else. Surely this forum is about helping people? Yes, we can go to PM, but if there is not helpful interactions in the open forum then new readers simply won't stick around because the forum will look like there are lots of problems being posted, but no help forthcoming.

(Leaving aside, not to mention the guy I was responding to just missed out on any ideas I might have had.)

OK, I was grumpy at being edited for trying to help someone, but you get the drift?
Another option would be to post in the thread that you want to offer some ideas to the person and inviting them to start a thread about it. If everyone engaged in the issues behind posted FBGs that thread would become unwieldy.

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@CatLadyNZ - I violently agree and acknowledge that the forum doesn't belong to me, and whilst the forum belongs to the site owner, he clearly has the final say in everything from who posts what to whom to which products to promote, or otherwise.

However, we appear to have a very useful thread here, proceeding along in a very civilised way, with @Administrator appearing to be openly seeking feedback. In my view, and experience, where change is desired and it makes sense to air all views. If we all agreed on everything, there would be no need for this thread, and there would be no need for Moderators, never mind moderation.

We are adults, with varying opinions, and my experience in life, and at work informs me that many exciting things can happen where the status quo is challenged. If nobody questioned anything, few of us would be here posting at all, because we would just "know" that diabetes is a lifelong, progressive illness, with complications inevitable.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@CatLadyNZ - I violently agree and acknowledge that the forum doesn't belong to me, and whilst the forum belongs to the site owner, he clearly has the final say in everything from who posts what to whom to which products to promote, or otherwise.

However, we appear to have a very useful thread here, proceeding along in a very civilised way, with @Administrator appearing to be openly seeking feedback. In my view, and experience, where change is desired and it makes sense to air all views. If we all agreed on everything, there would be no need for this thread, and there would be no need for Moderators, never mind moderation.

We are adults, with varying opinions, and my experience in life, and at work informs me that many exciting things can happen where the status quo is challenged. If nobody questioned anything, few of us would be here posting at all, because we would just "know" that diabetes is a lifelong, progressive illness, with complications inevitable.
I agree, it's good to discuss things and share ideas for improvement. Compared to other forums I've used, this one seems to me to be very well moderated already. I like the way the mods generally don't put up with nonsense and they intervene when people break the rules. The place has a very adult/productive culture because of this and I really like that.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I think if people get angry because they don't know which moderator took an action then they should remember that mods are usually volunteers and they have a difficult job as it is. I don't need to know which moderator takes an action. If I'm not happy about it I can PM the mods as a group and express my view. If there is over zealous moderation going on then that is a matter for the site owner to sort out. Forum users don't really have rights; we are guests of the owner.

Just because a moderator is a volunteer does not guarantee that person is unbiased or a good moderator.

Reactions: 8 people
Status
Not open for further replies.