Not open for further replies.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ha ha - no worries, it's easier to highlight the issue but a solution is usually something that takes a bit of thinking times! Yes, so what we'll have is something like http://puu.sh/kHul7/b7728b4925.png without the [Show] bit. But, if anyone wanted to see the messages deleted/edited, we can always unhide them.

B it is then - we have an update to the forum that will go live when @Giverny is back (sorry, Giv, - loads of tags for you :) ) and that will have that feature in!

FYI, I've re-hidden the posts that were the topic of this conversation. Hope that's OK.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd just like to point out that sometimes it is more diplomatic to delete without leaving a reason for everyone to see. That's a general comment there, not aimed at anybody. I've had PMs from people asking why their post was deleted and I'm happy to explain to them. That keeps it private.

Posts are rarely edited, and if they are, it's usually for reasons of safety or to remove possibly offensive comments. I'd have thought that would be obvious to the poster. If someone posts a rude comment about another member, getting all outraged because their post was edited to remove it, is not on.

Also, bear in mind that some of the edited and deleted posts have been reported by other members for dangerous advice or offensive or insensitive comments.

I'm happy to explain in a PM why I've edited or deleted any posts. It's not something moderators do lightly and often we discuss it amongst ourselves to ensure we're making the right decision.

In the circumstances you have described it would still be good to always have the words 'edited by moderator' added to the post, in fact I thought this was a forum rule, yet I have noticed posts being edited without any such entry by the mod concerned. It would just be useful to know that the post isn't as the poster had originally written it.

Reactions: 7 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@zand - we'll do that also. We're writing a document for Giv and fellow moderators and that is in there as of... now! :)

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Anything done in the forum has a log assigned to it - from the first post, we can see 4 posts have been deleted:

http://puu.sh/kHul7/b7728b4925.png
http://puu.sh/kHukV/c15a30cf27.png

And for the final post, http://puu.sh/kHuvP/3ef0717c36.png

@diamondnostril - your point "If the Deletions and Edits have been made by the Moderators for reasons of "safety", so that "unacceptable" opinions or inaccurate/dangerous information are not displayed, then why isn't this clearly stated? This is a reasonable thing, so why not just say it?" is valid - we're working on the forum so all deleted/edited posts can be footnoted on the page, and also the reason. That'll clear up the bulk of confusion.

@Giverny is currently on holiday so please tag @Administrator for attention. :)

We've un-deleted the posts from the http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/getting-bloods-under-7-0mmol.85501/ so people can see the posts being referenced. I think everyone would be in agreement that the posts un-deleted are dangerous, however, perhaps we should discuss what people would like to happen to posts that are like this? In this case, they were certainly made for the point of safety.

As a community, we have the option to leave these posts, however they do require some sort of caveat. We wouldn't perhaps want others (e.g. newly diagnosed) making assumptions off potentially dangerous and/or incorrect information.

So, perhaps we could consider removing the text but replacing with 'Edited due to REASON'?

@Administrator
Something along the lines you mentioned, should of been put into place long ago, this has happened before. An OP should be aware of why their posts were edited or deleted and so should members contributing to the thread, but obviously that couldn't be implemented individually.

RRB

Reactions: 6 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Ive had one of my posts deleted too, it wasn't scandalous at all, it was just requesting that things got back on track. But heyho!!!
Me too,@dawnmc in my case I said that I hoped the person would feel better soon

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand - we'll do that also. We're writing a document for Giv and fellow moderators and that is in there as of... now! :)

Thank you!

I must say, this thread is a breath of fresh air and transparency.

Much appreciated. It would be wonderful to see a clear, consistent application of such a document - especially if that doc were published with the forum rules, for all to see.

Once again, THANK YOU!

Reactions: 4 people

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Administrator
Something along the lines you mentioned, should of been put into place long ago, this has happened before. An OP should be aware of why their posts were edited or deleted and so should members contributing to the thread, but obviously that couldn't be implemented individually.

RRB

Would you want the reason, too?

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you!

I must say, this thread is a breath of fresh air and transparency.

Much appreciated. It would be wonderful to see a clear, consistent application of such a document - especially if that doc were published with the forum rules, for all to see.

Once again, THANK YOU!

Interestingly enough, I was going to post it on this thread (literally for the case as discussed in this thread).

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Would you want the reason, too?

A short sentence that is clear and precise to the post :-.

Edited due to potential bad medical advice.

Post deleted due to ill informed medical advice,

Possibly along those lines with the correct wording for the moderating.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Brunneria @zand

This hasn't been shared with fellow moderators/Giverny yet (sorry Giv!) but we thought it was best to get this approved before letting everyone know.

How does this look:

Editing and deleting of posts

When editing a post, please add 'Edited by moderator / reason: XXX'
- Please add 'Edited by moderator' to the post (moderator name is not required as this is saved in the log).
- Please leave a reason if appropriate. If this is not appropriate for public view, please specify the reason as 'NA'

When deleting a post, please add a post 'A post in this thread was deleted / reason: XXX'
- Again, if it is not appropriate to share the reason, please leave 'NA'.

Off-topic posts within a thread

- Off-topic posts within a thread are permitted. If the OP complains, they can be removed.

Reasons:
Unsuitable (i.e. not appropriate)
Dangerous medical information (e.g. what happened with the threads linked to by OP)
Medical advice by unqualified person
Thread derailing
Offensive
Refers to a deleted post

Are there any other reasons we're missing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you again.

How about these as additional reasons:

'post removed because it referred to a deleted post'.
and
'Medical advice by unqualified person'

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re the deleting of posts that are perfectly pleasant and not rude or dangerous, could those be in a thread that has a reminder to stay on topic? Sometimes there can be a run of perfectly nice, absolutely harmless posts that inadvertently derail the thread. Sometimes that can be a reason - the thread itself. Not every deleted post is necessarily 'bad'. Some are just in the wrong place, or empty posts, or duplicates, etc. Posts that quote a deleted post are also deleted or sometimes modified to remove the quote, if that works ok.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re the deleting of posts that are perfectly pleasant and not rude or dangerous, could those be in a thread that has a reminder to stay on topic? Sometimes there can be a run of perfectly nice, absolutely harmless posts that inadvertently derail the thread. Sometimes that can be a reason - the thread itself. Not every deleted post is necessarily 'bad'. Some are just in the wrong place, or empty posts, or duplicates, etc..

I think this is the hardest decision of all. Sometimes the pleasant, not relevant posts are good because they are chit chat that can bind us together as a group. Sometimes though this does indeed threaten to derail the thread. Maybe pleasant, but not particularly relevant posts could stay if the OP is part of the chit chat? I know that on my own weight loss thread the silly posts were as important to me as the sensible ones, but I can understand the frustration if the OP feels the purpose of the thread has been lost. It would be good if we all remembered the OP at times like this and kept some light-hearted posts there, but didn't let them take over the thread. I think it would be useful if members thought about this themselves so that it wasn't necessary for the mods to intervene.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I think this is the hardest decision of all. Sometimes the pleasant, not relevant posts are good because they are chit chat that can bind us together as a group. Sometimes though this does indeed threaten to derail the thread. Maybe pleasant, but not particularly relevant posts could stay if the OP is part of the chit chat? I know that on my own weight loss thread the silly posts were as important to me as the sensible ones, but I can understand the frustration if the OP feels the purpose of the thread has been lost. It would be good if we all remembered the OP at times like this and kept some light-hearted posts there, but didn't let them take over the thread. I think it would be useful if members thought about this themselves so that it wasn't necessary for the mods to intervene.
Nice to see you back @zand, enjoy you're time away?

Isn't this the right place to post this?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria @zand

This hasn't been shared with fellow moderators/Giverny yet (sorry Giv!) but we thought it was best to get this approved before letting everyone know.

How does this look:

Editing and deleting of posts

When editing a post, please add 'Edited by moderator / reason: XXX'
- Please add 'Edited by moderator' to the post (moderator name is not required as this is saved in the log).
- Please leave a reason if appropriate. If this is not appropriate for public view, please specify the reason as 'NA'

When deleting a post, please add a post 'A post in this thread was deleted / reason: XXX'
- Again, if it is not appropriate to share the reason, please leave 'NA'.

Reasons:
Unsuitable (i.e. not appropriate)
Dangerous medical advice (e.g. what happened with the threads linked to by OP)
Thread derailing
Offensive

Are there any other reasons we're missing?

Yes thanks for this.

Re... - Please add 'Edited by moderator' to the post (moderator name is not required as this is saved in the log). Personally I think it's right to keep the mods identity private. It doesn't matter to me who edited the post as long as I know it was edited.

I agree with the 2 extra reasons quoted by Brunneria and I'm sure if there are others they can be added at a later date?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice to see you back @zand, enjoy you're time away?

Isn't this the right place to post this?
lol yep that's exactly what I mean! A little friendly aside like this is surely OK? We are a community after all, but @nosher8355 please don't respond to this post as I reckon that will be thread derailing. I'll speak to you on the footie thread later nosher :rolleyes::)

Status
Not open for further replies.