Newcastle diet starting Monday, done it once who gonna join me on my journey??

Steve50

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
politics, religion, intolerance
@Steve50 Have a great time in NY
Thanks AH.

It really is a city that never sleeps. I am woken regularly throughout the night by shouting passers-by. And - I noticed that if I went for a walk at 4am as I am awake anyway - I am only within a minute or so of doughnuts, pizza, pastries etc...... It is a city that never sleeps and seems to never stop eating! However, having said that - I am not noticing any greater levels of obesity as compared with anywhere else. I would even go so far as to say people look a bit fitter - more exercised. Broad generalisations of course - but I guess in NY, people walk a lot more. I am using one of those 'Garmin' step measuring devices - which set a daily target for movement, based on your average movement over time. I have noticed that I have doubled my movement in the time I have been here. Cant be a bad thing.

You only need to eat once a day. Food comes in plentiful supply. Americans make a big thing of breakfast - and eggs do take the appetite away for a long period. To be sociable (and to rest up) I am sitting down and drinking tea and coffee. More coffee - tea is harder to find. I also learned that 'half and half' milk is not half fat and full fat milk combined - it is in fact half milk and half cream. Traps for new players! The other interesting thing is the range of sweeteners available. I have been to coffee places in England where there is a range of 4 or 5 types of sugar and if you are lucky 1 sweetener option. Here you have one or two types of sugar and 5 or 6 sweetener options. The sugar is also sweeter here - I guess there is a difference between cane and beet sugar products.

If you do sit down for a meal - particularly a 'brunch' - there are often drinks offers or packages (happy hour, all you can drink, 2 for one etc). These seem to be 'cocktails' made predominantly with juice and a bit of alcohol. These offers are to be avoided! I went to a place today and took up an offer where they just kept coming round and refilling your glass. You had no idea how much you had drunk!

So much for my bland observations! And appologies to our American diabies - it must seem that these are Bryson'esk observations of a strange land! Not intentional - just strange to me!

I did think of looking up Optifast products whilst I'm here as they only seem to be readily available here in the USA. But as far as I can see, you need to be registered with their clinics. They don't seem to be available off the shelf - unless anyone knows a place - in which case I would be grateful for the insight. I just want to give them a try - for comparison to what I was using.

Fasting bloods have been a little high - but as I am not on meds at the moment, this is not unusual. I'll keep trying to control it by diet - but at the moment I am having one reading in 3 that it above 7. I test every morning - so the DP might be having an effect. I am also having some wine (again totally for social reasons!!!!) which might also be having an impact - as this is most often later in the day.

Think I need to prepare the body for Thanksgiving!!! An unavoidable carb-fest!

Reactions: 2 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you are enjoying your trip to "a foreign land" @Steve50. I have only been to the States once and ate so much at breakfast I could barely get off my chair afterwards! They do have huge portions and as I love my food I did try not to leave too much on the plate. Fortunately I was not diabetic then (well, if I was I was unaware of it)! They had a different cocktail most nights so after dinner we went to the lounge to enjoy the music and cocktails; don't think I could have keep it up for too long or I would have ended up enormous.

One of my other lasting memories was waiting at the pedestrian crossing at the side of a very long, very straight road with no traffic in sight early one morning as we were going to cross the road to the coach for our day trip. Having checked there was no traffic I stepped off the pavement (sorry, side walk!) and was suddenly lifted off my feet and dumped back on the side walk and a beligerent voice said "Can't you read? It says "Don't walk". I said but there is nothing coming and was told "Doesn't matter, don't walk means DON'T WALK. It was our coach driver; lesson learnt.

Wildrover

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice to see some of the "old faces" back, @Steve50 @Arab Horse @ LBTB , just goes to show that this thread will go on and on because of the Impact the ND has one one's life, and it's life changing ways, enjoy the Big Apple Steve

Living-by-the-beach

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks AH.

It really is a city that never sleeps. I am woken regularly throughout the night by shouting passers-by. And - I noticed that if I went for a walk at 4am as I am awake anyway - I am only within a minute or so of doughnuts, pizza, pastries etc...... It is a city that never sleeps and seems to never stop eating! However, having said that - I am not noticing any greater levels of obesity as compared with anywhere else. I would even go so far as to say people look a bit fitter - more exercised. Broad generalisations of course - but I guess in NY, people walk a lot more. I am using one of those 'Garmin' step measuring devices - which set a daily target for movement, based on your average movement over time. I have noticed that I have doubled my movement in the time I have been here. Cant be a bad thing.

You only need to eat once a day. Food comes in plentiful supply. Americans make a big thing of breakfast - and eggs do take the appetite away for a long period. To be sociable (and to rest up) I am sitting down and drinking tea and coffee. More coffee - tea is harder to find. I also learned that 'half and half' milk is not half fat and full fat milk combined - it is in fact half milk and half cream. Traps for new players! The other interesting thing is the range of sweeteners available. I have been to coffee places in England where there is a range of 4 or 5 types of sugar and if you are lucky 1 sweetener option. Here you have one or two types of sugar and 5 or 6 sweetener options. The sugar is also sweeter here - I guess there is a difference between cane and beet sugar products.

If you do sit down for a meal - particularly a 'brunch' - there are often drinks offers or packages (happy hour, all you can drink, 2 for one etc). These seem to be 'cocktails' made predominantly with juice and a bit of alcohol. These offers are to be avoided! I went to a place today and took up an offer where they just kept coming round and refilling your glass. You had no idea how much you had drunk!

So much for my bland observations! And appologies to our American diabies - it must seem that these are Bryson'esk observations of a strange land! Not intentional - just strange to me!

I did think of looking up Optifast products whilst I'm here as they only seem to be readily available here in the USA. But as far as I can see, you need to be registered with their clinics. They don't seem to be available off the shelf - unless anyone knows a place - in which case I would be grateful for the insight. I just want to give them a try - for comparison to what I was using.

Fasting bloods have been a little high - but as I am not on meds at the moment, this is not unusual. I'll keep trying to control it by diet - but at the moment I am having one reading in 3 that it above 7. I test every morning - so the DP might be having an effect. I am also having some wine (again totally for social reasons!!!!) which might also be having an impact - as this is most often later in the day.

Think I need to prepare the body for Thanksgiving!!! An unavoidable carb-fest!

@Steve50

I've found Slimfast here in the US that does work. I hope you are enjoying NYC. At this time of year it can be nice there..

Mairead15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi All
I am type 2 and I am 5 days into Newcastle diet. I am using Slimfast with water. I take 1000 Metformin twice daily. Stopped Gliclazide. Once I stopped Gliclazide my fasting B/S where at 12. During the day drop to 9. Have seen no improvement in these numbers since starting diet. Have stuck strictly to the diet. The first days where hard but have settled into it ok. I gym three times weekly and walk loads. Has anyone else had such high levels on starting? Will they reduce eventually? Don't want to go back on Gliclazide as I worry about lows. Any advice is much appreciated.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi All
I am type 2 and I am 5 days into Newcastle diet. I am using Slimfast with water. I take 1000 Metformin twice daily. Stopped Gliclazide. Once I stopped Gliclazide my fasting B/S where at 12. During the day drop to 9. Have seen no improvement in these numbers since starting diet. Have stuck strictly to the diet. The first days where hard but have settled into it ok. I gym three times weekly and walk loads. Has anyone else had such high levels on starting? Will they reduce eventually? Don't want to go back on Gliclazide as I worry about lows. Any advice is much appreciated.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hello-uk-newcastle-diet-from-texas-progress-thread.90455/

In the link above, there is a guy from texas chronicling his progess on the newcastle diet day for day, he started on january 2016, and ended it on the last day of february. Remember that everyone is different but look up those numbers and it will give you and idea of how it went for him!

Here are his january numbers:

January:

Day 0: 10 / 180
Day 1: 10.5 / 190
Day 2: 9.8 /175
Day 3: 8.3 /148
Day 4: 6.7 / 123
Day 5: 6.4 / 112
Day 6: 5.7 / 103
Day 7: 5.0 / 90
Day 8: 5.6 / 100
Day 9: 4.8 / 87
Day 10: 4.5 /81
Day 11: 4.6 / 83
Day 12: 5.1 / 92
Day 13: 6.0 /105 (Removed daily Januvia medication due to side effects)
Day 14: 4.1/ 74
Day 15: 4.7 / 84
Day 16:4.1 / 76
Day 17: 4.6 / 83
Day 18: 4.7 / 84
Day 19: 4.8 / 87
Day 20: 4.4 / 80
Day 21: 4.6 / 83
Day 22: 4.9 / 89
Day 23: 4.4 / 79
Day 24:4.3 / 78
Day 25: 4.3 / 77
Day 26:4.9 / 89

Bewildered

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thinking it is time to do another stint on the NP. I lost 4 stone last year, and then maintained from August to February, when my GP told me I was overmedicated on Levothyroxine, so dose reduced and a month later I am a stone heavier and my blood sugar levels are on the rise. I am so miserable about this, all the hard work I put in last year…. So I am thinking about going back onto the shakes to just draw a line in the sand again. Not sure how much the medication change (levo) has had an effect but I simply can't believe that there isn't something in maintaining for 7 months to lose it when there is this type of a change. I was diagnosed T2 in January 2015, so I am thinking that the research results are still valid in this timeframe? And at least it is getting warmer, so milkshakes won't be so bad as in winter time. So I now have 2 stone to lose to be in the healthy range, guessing I can do this in the 12 weeks and re-stabilise my bg. Any advice for a second time around vs the first? TIA.

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
can some one give me a link how this is done, how to do the ND diet?
I dont have any shakes here but I saw someone did it with normal food. Can that person give some advise how it is done?:

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I dont have any shakes here but I saw someone did it with normal food. Can that person give some advise how it is done?:

Michael Mosley the man behind the fasting diet, has given out this book which is based on The Newcastle diet. He however bases the diet around natural foods, and he gives tips about how to do the program with the most satiating foods.

So the book is basically about how to the do the diet in the most efficient way, its only 3 pounds so its well worth the investment in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-8-Week-Blood-Sugar-Diet/dp/1780722400

The book is very cheap, but you could also download it on the internet if you want.

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
https://thebloodsugardiet.com/

This is the website for the book, you can see lots of tips on the forums here.

Reactions: 3 people

nelibonsai

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
quacks
Michael Mosley the man behind the fasting diet, has given out this book which is based on The Newcastle diet. He however bases the diet around natural foods, and he gives tips about how to do the program with the most satiating foods.

So the book is basically about how to the do the diet in the most efficient way, its only 3 pounds so its well worth the investment in my opinion.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-8-Week-Blood-Sugar-Diet/dp/1780722400

The book is very cheap, but you could also download it on the internet if you want.
We dont have pay pall here. I can not buy anything on line unless I go abroad. Too many crooks around Africa so we suffer because of that.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@nelibonsai in my signature there is a link to a thread showing what I did for my first 3 months when I reduced my HbA1c from high to normal with reduced calorie using normal foods

Obioma

Hi all doing the ND again on Monday.
Did it a couple of years back and had great results but got a bit lost after it and back to square one again. I intend recording my journey again and am looking for some co participants to gee each other along
My stats are :-
Height 5'7"
Weight 16st
Hba1c 110 / 16.8
Chol 5.8
Lifestyle active
Age 45
Sex male
Name craig

I've done it before so know results will be fast but just need some help and motivation to keep me going through the hard times any one who fancies it lets do it together.
Yea I'm aware of all the doubters out there but I'm doing it so be happy
I
Hi all doing the ND again on Monday.
Did it a couple of years back and had great results but got a bit lost after it and back to square one again. I intend recording my journey again and am looking for some co participants to gee each other along
My stats are :-
Height 5'7"
Weight 16st
Hba1c 110 / 16.8
Chol 5.8
Lifestyle active
Age 45
Sex male
Name craig

I've done it before so know results will be fast but just need some help and motivation to keep me going through the hard times any one who fancies it lets do it together.
Yea I'm aware of all the doubters out there but I'm doing it so be happy
I'll like to join you too. I've tried but couldn't get pass week 2 without eating potatoes...

Roytaylorjasonfunglover

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Punt1971

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I started the ND last Monday so this is the start of week 2. Hasn't been too bad so far, getting a bit sick of all the veg chopping :)

Lost half a stone in the week, I know most of that will be water. My BG is down from 12+ before I started to 6.6 when I woke up this morning; so that's good.

I do feel like kack today for whetever reason. Very tired. Don't have a meter handy so can't check my bg.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
I started the ND last Monday so this is the start of week 2. Hasn't been too bad so far, getting a bit sick of all the veg chopping :)

Lost half a stone in the week, I know most of that will be water. My BG is down from 12+ before I started to 6.6 when I woke up this morning; so that's good.

I do feel like kack today for whetever reason. Very tired. Don't have a meter handy so can't check my bg.
The Newcastle Diet was sensational for me and your early results are tremendous. Yes I felt tired and also cold early on but was driven on by the BG reductions and weight loss. And I also got bored with the veges as well. I rotated stir frying them, steamed, roasted with a little gravy, in soup etc
Keep it up
Cheers

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi pipp

I’m back and still alive lol

Just restarted the ND and having better results this time round, quicker weight loss, maybe it’s cos I’m getting old lol
Good grief! A voice from the past! What have you been up to in the interim, @geordie90?

Lovodale

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi pipp

I’m back and still alive lol

Just restarted the ND and having better results this time round, quicker weight loss, maybe it’s cos I’m getting old lol

Good to see so many success stories and whilst the many struggles are sad to read about, they are also heartening because most of us have those too. I did NC diet way back at the beginning of this Topic and it worked but for some reason I thought 600cal/day was the target. For me that was too little and I see now from the Michael Moseley book and the TV series that 800 cal/ day is the target. At 600cal/ day my blood sugars certainly went down but my whole body slowed down too.....BP and pulse rate too. I did too little exercise as well and now see that exercise is a key thing. I just could not manage it on 600 cal/day. I’m 65 now and T2 for about 6 years. In response to an email that brought me back to this topic, I will have another go and comment from time to rime on what’s happening

Reactions: pjayem1964