Type 2s: What have you eaten today?

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm ... just had a can of Heinz 'Reduced Sugar and Salt' Cream of Tomato soup for the first time and think I prefer it to the normal version.

Normal version is 204 calories, 8.6 fat, 27.2 carbs (19.4 sugar) 2.6 fibre, 3.4 protein and 2.2 salt as opposed to 136 calories, 3.6 fat, 21.8 carbs (13.4 sugar), 2.4 fibre, 3.2 protein and 1.6 salt for the reduced sugar and salt version.

I do like soup :)

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm ... just had a can of Heinz 'Reduced Sugar and Salt' Cream of Tomato soup for the first time and think I prefer it to the normal version.

Normal version is 204 calories, 8.6 fat, 27.2 carbs (19.4 sugar) 2.6 fibre, 3.4 protein and 2.2 salt as opposed to 136 calories, 3.6 fat, 21.8 carbs (13.4 sugar), 2.4 fibre, 3.2 protein and 1.6 salt for the reduced sugar and salt version.

I do like soup :)
Still a hell of a lot of sugar and salt. I make my own soup. Lentil soup is quick and easy and, although lentils have carbs, they are slow releasing. We just boil lentils and put some black pepper and lemon juice in. As an alternative to cuppa soup (again very high in salt) I zap a leek in my mini shredder and boil it up in half a Kalo low salt chicken stock cube and water, once again with a sprinkling of black pepper. It's not bad.

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still a hell of a lot of sugar and salt. I make my own soup. Lentil soup is quick and easy and, although lentils have carbs, they are slow releasing. We just boil lentils and put some black pepper and lemon juice in. As an alternative to cuppa soup (again very high in salt) I zap a leek in my mini shredder and boil it up in half a Kalo low salt chicken stock cube and water, once again with a sprinkling of black pepper. It's not bad.

I should make more stuff myself, but it's finding the time.

Blood sugar before eating it was 6.3, two hours later it's 6.2 with a 6 unit injection of Novorapid.

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should make more stuff myself, but it's finding the time.

Blood sugar before eating it was 6.3, two hours later it's 6.2 with a 6 unit injection of Novorapid.
I know what you mean, but the 2 soups I mentioned are really quick and easy, honestly. The lentil soup is just to chuck them in the pan with the water. For the leek one, or any other safe vegetable one, I really would recommend a mini chopper. I got a Russel Hobbs one (only because it's cream and matches my toaster and kettle!) in Argos for £14.99. I am not a gadget person at all, but I wouldn't be without it. It saves me so much time. I just cut or break stuff into chunks and zap it for 15 - 30 seconds. The "leek soup" takes literally about 2 minutes to make and about 10 minutes to cook, so not a lot longer than warming up a tin and a lot healthier. I make everything from scratch and this little machine makes everything so much quicker to prepare. I can zap a pan full of courgettes, carrots, leeks, onions and celery as the base for a curry or bolognaise in minutes. It was all the chopping that used to put me off, much as I love cooking.

Reactions: 6 people

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, today's full menu:

Breakfast - 120g Natural Yogurt (98 calories, 5 fat, 8 carbs, 8 sugar, 5 protein, 0.2 salt). Blood sugar 6.8 before 7.0 after.

Lunch - 400g Cream of Tomato Soup (136 calories, 4 fat, 22 carbs, 13 sugar, 2 fibre, 3 protein, 2 salt). Blood sugar 6.3 before, 6.2 after.

Evening meal - Roast pork, new potatoes, carrots, cabbage and gravy followed by a plum (330 calories, 10 fat, 31 carbs, 11 sugar, 8 fibre, 25 protein, 1 salt). Blood sugar 4.7 before.

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know what you mean, but the 2 soups I mentioned are really quick and easy, honestly. The lentil soup is just to chuck them in the pan with the water. For the leek one, or any other safe vegetable one, I really would recommend a mini chopper. I got a Russel Hobbs one (only because it's cream and matches my toaster and kettle!) in Argos for £14.99. I am not a gadget person at all, but I wouldn't be without it. It saves me so much time. I just cut or break stuff into chunks and zap it for 15 - 30 seconds. The "leek soup" takes literally about 2 minutes to make and about 10 minutes to cook, so not a lot longer than warming up a tin and a lot healthier. I make everything from scratch and this little machine makes everything so much quicker to prepare. I can zap a pan full of courgettes, carrots, leeks, onions and celery as the base for a curry or bolognaise in minutes. It was all the chopping that used to put me off, much as I love cooking.

I'll have to have a go ... either that or buy some from you!

D

Deleted member 43917

B - spinach & carrot and ground flax seed smoothie
L - chopped hard boiled egg & green veg & wholegrain rice
D - Morroccan hummus, celery sticks, cashew nuts, avocado

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Breakfast - raspberries & blueberries, full fat greek style yoghurt and milled flaxseed
Lunch - bacon, scrambled egg & half Lidl protein roll (this was the first time I have had a Lidl roll, mmmmm)
Dinner - home cooked gammon ham and salad
Also had a good long walk this afternoon.

johnnybaker45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Aggression, violence, bad language, class-riddenness.
12:00 pm:- 1 Poached eggs toasted sandwich with 2 eggs, water, 2 slices of Kingsmill 50/50 Bread.

2:15 pm:- 1 Poached egg toasted sandwich, with 1 egg, water, 2 slices of Kingsmill 50/50 Bread.

20 glasses of tap water

6:00 pm:- Savoury mince, steamed potatoes and steamed button sprouts, with 1 bag of minced beef, 1/2 a spanish onion, salt and pepper, Bisto Gravy granules, water, 6 potatoes (halved) and 1 bag of Iceland button sprouts.

Blood glucose reading (at 9:00 pm):- 9.0 millimoles per litre (a bit on the high side).

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fry up for breakfast....... bacon, mushrooms, egg, tomatoes and a slice of halloumi cheese. Coffee during the afternoon, then salmon, kale and peas for dinner. Don't often have peas because they are higher in carbs, but fancied them. Put a lump of butter on them to counteract the carbs a bit. Put black pepper and dried chilli flakes on the salmon and fry in butter.This evening I made some sugar free flour free "cookies" from a recipe in today's Daily Mirror. I followed the instructions to the letter, but the mixture was far too soft so I had to put more oats and coconut in to thicken it up. I put it in paper cases in case they spread everywhere and cooked it for twice as long as they said, but the final result was very nice.

Attachments

• IMG_20160328_200919.jpg
    IMG_20160328_200919.jpg
    840.8 KB · Views: 316
  • IMG_20160328_200942.jpg
    IMG_20160328_200942.jpg
    836.7 KB · Views: 323
Reactions: 2 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
B: Stuffed Mushroom with leek and Wensleydale cheese:
L: Lobster bisque
D: Beef goulash

Rudyard

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone... Not been on for a while, but have been so busy... Now working on the run-up t the holidays! No more working for a week or two...

Yesterday was bacon, eggs & wholemeal toast
Lunch - Braised lamb shanks, mint gravy, mash and a load of veggies - Lunch out, and so darn tasty
Supper - celery, some wild boar sausages (cured meat, very bad for me, but so nice), cheese, olives and a spot of red wine

Breakfast today was a banana and coffee
Lunch is the rest of the roast beef and some braised red cabbage
Supper - Steak, celeriac chips and some veggies

D

Deleted member 43917

B - peppermint tea & lemon, celery sticks
L - avocado, tomato & black olives, red pepper hummus; easy peeler; simple banana & egg pancake
D - going to have homemade lentil soup

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
B: Cheese on toast using half a Lydl protein roll.

L: Minestrone soup.

D: Chicken Korma with two poppadoms no rice (poppadoms are 37 calories each and only about 3.4 grams of carbohydrates)

two coffees two cups of normal tea and a cup of green tea with mint

Reactions: 11 people

johnnybaker45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Tuesday 29th March, 2016.

Leftovers of close friend's savoury mince, 1 steamed potato and 13 steamed button sprouts.
6-8 slices of toast with butter made with Kingsmill 50/50 Bread and full cream, salted butter from Iceland Budget Supermarket.
25 glasses of tap water
32 hand-rolled cigarettes made from Old Holborn rolling tobacco with Ezee cheap-brand rolling papers.

Wednesday 30th March, 2016.

Cup of tea with 2 Tetley teabags, Watson's semi-skimmed milk and 2 Silver Spoon 0 calories artificial sweetener tablets.
10 glasses of tap water.
13 hand-rolled cigarettes made from Old Holborn hand rolling tobacco and Ezee cheap brand rolling papers.
Blood glucose reading at 6:16 am:- 6.3 millimoles per litre.

johnnybaker45

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Wednesday 30th March, 2016.

8:31 am.

Cup of tea with 2 Tetley Teabags, Watsons Semi-Skimmed Milk, and 2 Silver Spoon 0 Calorie artificial sweetener tablets.
14 glasses of tap water,
29 hand-rolled cigarettes made from Old Holborn hand-rolling tobacco and Ezee cheap-brand rolling papers.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi All

Had a bad day yesterday eating a packet of crisps and twisties watching the footy.(Only good thing about it was BFG this morning was 4.7)
So today I pay

B Shaved Chicken and Cheese
S Milk Coffee
L Shaved Ham and Cheese
D Chicken Fajita in lettuce

Calories 673
Carbs 27g

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type