What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
For Dinner, basa, pesto, mediterranean veg and bean sprouts, polished off by fresh British strawbs

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Weird Science....me too, that recipe sounds so good. I also went on Amazon tonight and bought bulk almond flour, coconut flour and other bits and bobs to start me baking low carb....there's a first time for everything:)

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Ok
Took a quick peek at tesco online and not many are cream ? they do their own cream one but mostly coconut milk comes up when searched
As you shared recipe thought you might have one you used. Thanku
If you're stuck and don't need more than a couple of tablespoons of cream it might work to just leave a can of coconut milk in the fridge for a few hours (don't shake it before opening!) and separate the cream that has risen to the top. I'm not sure how much cream you'll get though.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you can get powdered coconut cream and just make it up with water.

This is the one I use
http://www.tesco.com/groceries/prod...3uzajBODSlusCbiTZhfb8aAgt08P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
(see instructions on the link for making it up)
It has maltodextrin in it - but it has never spiked me, or had any negative effect on my bg, presumably because it is always buried in other VLC food.

Handy to have around. You can blend it with differing amounts of water to create co milk, or co cream, or you can just tip the powder into homemade curries and it dissolves in the curry juice, adding flavour and thickening it a teeny bit.

D

debrasue

Last two days upset tummy. Have reduced my insulin like my DS said but still having hypos all over the place. So has been mostly water, couple dry crackers, melon. Then in between all that lucazade, love heart sweets, fruit pastilles (not all at once) and toast or biscuits. Feel rubbish and gonna have to send the husband out for more hypo treatment, as running low now.
Hopefully back on track when my insides decide to start working again. :depressed:
I hope you feel better soon, @s.sollis - thinking about you & sending big hugs.
:nurse:

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I've just been looking up Marmite. I LOVE it. Just been looking up carb content so I can have on low carb crackers when I am cheesed out :) spotted the cashews but didn't add to my shopping trolley, good eh? They aren't on their website.
Hi I bought some marmite nuts a few weeks ago forgot were I bought them from but they were good, not so keen on the jar marmite. :)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
B- water, green tea and supplements
L- bacon, egg sausages and mushrooms
D- belly pork on bbq, broccoli and cauliflower with d.cream and cheese
S-peanut butter fudge
Will try and have a crack at the chocolate chia pudding soon as got a big jar of them just sat on the shelf doing nothing!

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app
How do you make the peanut butter fudge please?

Reactions: 3 people

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Wednesday 11/5/16
B 1 poached egg / half a lidl roll
L 3 cheese and crackers / 1 smoked sausage with horseradish / a few slices of melon.
S 1 pkt of pork scratchings / half a can of zero coke
D Roast beef salad / half a slice of homemade brown rye bread / Turkish greek yogurt / strawberries
BG reading 2hrs after dinner 5.4

D

debrasue

Weird Science....me too, that recipe sounds so good. I also went on Amazon tonight and bought bulk almond flour, coconut flour and other bits and bobs to start me baking low carb....there's a first time for everything:)

I'm having a bit of a rethink on almond flour, which I had embraced enthusiastically up until now...
I have arthritis and have shared a couple of times on here that over the past couple of months it has become pretty bad. I was browsing online yesterday and came across an article that suggested the PUFAs (polyunsaturated fats) in almond flour can increase inflammation and slow the metabolism, thus causing weight gain (which I need like a hole in the head!!). Browsing a bit further I found quite a lot of anecdotal evidence that people were suffering increased joint/arthritis pain when they ate nuts/gluten-free products.
I know this is a contentious issue and there are going to be conflicting views. I've tried limiting or eliminating dairy and choosing lacto-free, but that hasn't helped. So maybe it's time to try limiting or eliminating nuts and gluten-free...? My diet is the only thing that has changed over the past couple of months, so it appears that something I'm eating (or not eating?) is causing this horrible pain.
Strangely, my husband is currently also suffering the worst attack of gout he has ever experienced. He does get it from time to time, but it has never been this bad before.
Does anyone have any ideas/comments/suggestions they would like to share?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was tested for intolerances a few years back
- almonds were one of mine

At the time, I just shrugged because I didn't eat them much, and was symptom free when I did. (I was also intolerant of bites from farm building mites, whatever they are, and dismissed that with equal disinterest).

However, I remember the almond intolerance every time I reach for almond flour, and try to only do LC baking in an emergency*.

* definition of emergency = unable to live another minute without a LC mug cake or slice of stracciatella.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi All
After yesterdays indulgence
S Milk Coffee
B Sausage Egg and Tomato
S Milk Coffee
L Cheese and Peanuts
D Steak and green salad
1 x Low Carb Beer & 2 x Glasses of Shiraz (Dinner with future son in laws parents wedding tomorrow week)

Carbs 50g

jojo broadie

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You're not a pest! :) I'm happy to share whatever information I have.
Chocolate chia pudding couldn't be easier (and it's really nice!); as well as being helpful for those suffering from diabetes, chia seeds are alleged to reduce blood pressure, provide easy-to-assimilate fibre and regulate digestion, provide a good source of antioxidants, Omega3 and protein, and aid in weight loss. There are some side effects, too, however, so you might want to do some online research beforehand.
To make the pudding, you simply mix together 125ml single cream, 125ml coconut cream, 3 tbsp chia seeds, (available on the internet), 2 tbsp cocoa powder and sweetener to taste (I use 2 tbsp Monin sugar-free caramel syrup, also available on the 'net), and leave it the fridge overnight. I buy the frozen black cherries from Tesco and have 8-10 of those with 2 tbsp of chia pudding - delicious! The pudding will keep well in the fridge for 4-5 days (if you can avoid eating it all beforehand!).
I hope this helps.
:)
thank you I will try this out and let you know how it turns out. ....

D

debrasue

Mmmm, I've just cobbled together a quick and very yummy pudding/snack for the summer: Chop up some fresh rhubarb and cook it in the oven in a covered dish at about 160o for 45 minutes - no water, just a little stevia or whatever you use as a sweetener. Take it out to cool, and then mix a couple of spoonfuls of the rhubarb into some Coyo natural yoghurt.
It's goooooooooooooooooooooood...

(And the numbers are: 523 cals and 5.6g carbs for a 250g pot of Coyo and 200g of rhubarb, which would probably make 4 servings at 131 cals/1.4g carbs each.)

A pud that's low-carb, gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free - what's not to like?

:hungry:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mmmm, I've just cobbled together a quick and very yummy pudding/snack for the summer: Chop up some fresh rhubarb and cook it in the oven in a covered dish at about 160o for 45 minutes - no water, just a little stevia or whatever you use as a sweetener. Take it out to cool, and then mix a couple of spoonfuls of the rhubarb into some Coyo natural yoghurt.
It's goooooooooooooooooooooood...

(And the numbers are: 523 cals and 5.6g carbs for a 250g pot of Coyo and 200g of rhubarb, which would probably make 4 servings at 131 cals/1.4g carbs each.)

A pud that's low-carb, gluten-free, dairy-free and sugar-free - what's not to like?

:hungry:

Seriously? 4 servings? We need to talk. You ain't eating enough! Lol

No, really, just because i eat like a horse is no reason to give all of you saddlebags like mine...

Does sound lovely. Rhubarb is a fave, and i used to love rhubyogs

Reactions: 4 people
D

debrasue

Seriously? 4 servings? We need to talk. You ain't eating enough! Lol

No, really, just because i eat like a horse is no reason to give all of you saddlebags like mine...

Does sound lovely. Rhubarb is a fave, and i used to love rhubyogs
Well, I was trying to appear abstemious! I could probably eat the lot...... :happy:

Actually, though, having slurped my way through some this afternoon, I can confirm that it doesn't take much to satisfy. I started with half a pot of Coyo, and I only ate half of it - the yoghurt itself is quite rich, and the tartness of the rhubarb adds a further dimension to that. Maybe if I was hungry and had it for breakfast I'd scoff a whole pot, but if I had it as a pudding I would only want a little...

D

debrasue

B: Coffee & lacto-free cream (I don't really care if it has any lactose now - I've simply started to get a taste for it!)
L: Cold chicken, cheese; clotted cream & black cherries on a Swedish breakfast bun - yeugh!!! Rest of the buns now in the bin...(or maybe in the magpies)
D (will be): Courgetti carbonara (OK, courgetti - this is your Last Chance - if you don't shape up this time you're off the squad!)
S: Coyo with stewed rhubarb - yummmmm!
:)

Pollyg3

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
05.00 salad with chicken salami and cheese
Yogurt
1300 cheese and Nairn biscuits celery and a little humour
1700 pork chop and veg
Couple of strawberries and plain yogurt