Type 1: Sore finger tips - not taking insulin

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll have to check if we that available in new Zealand I will find out Monday and if yes will get a script for one. We're pretty lucky here I get it all free an the test blood things so if we have that one funded I'll be able to get it. Thank you
Oh we don't get the one you can have in your arm for 14 days and swipe something over it for bs reading if that's what you mean. It's not funded here yet. Is that what you meant. I have the freestyle ketone one

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I found a pediatric diabetic sure that suggests several lancet devices for kids. bought one of them. It helps since I have thin skin and my meter takes barely any blood.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have 4 different ones carelance, accu-chek multiclix, abbot freestyle is some of them. I think it must be me. I did have them on 3 as blood came but it's sore so it's on one now
The accu-check multiclix is nearly painless for me - if it starts to get painful at all, I just advance the next lancet (but I've been on the same one for close to a month @ 4x/day). Make sure you use the sides of the fingers, not the pads. I know someone earlier said not to use the index fingers - but I find the index finger one of hte least painful and most reliable. I alternate days - odd days for left hand; even days for right hand. That way each hand gets a 1-day break every other day.

Please be careful about not skipping your insulin. Elevated blood glucose levels rot your body from the inisde out (as my doctor likes to say).

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The accu-check multiclix is nearly painless for me - if it starts to get painful at all, I just advance the next lancet (but I've been on the same one for close to a month @ 4x/day). Make sure you use the sides of the fingers, not the pads. I know someone earlier said not to use the index fingers - but I find the index finger one of hte least painful and most reliable. I alternate days - odd days for left hand; even days for right hand. That way each hand gets a 1-day break every other day.

Please be careful about not skipping your insulin. Elevated blood glucose levels rot your body from the inisde out (as my doctor likes to say).
Yes I no its not good not taking insulin. While I'm off it tho I thought I could get a c.peptide test done. I think you can't get this test with insulin on board is that right? I'll get one tomorrow see were things stand. I'm a week in an fingers are way better only been doing one bs test in mornings and one ketone test. That was just trace 0.6. So I'm fine. I have been using the sides of finger but it's still really sore and on one too. So I'll try what so.eone suggested a children's bs tester . Thanks for your reply.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whow 28 years.. I'm 4 months type 1 was year and a half type 2 till they did gad test etc. I haven't had my insulin for 4 days. I check blood in morning and it's only 11.6 which I was getting those readings on 9 lantus night n morning and novorapid with food an corrections. I'm a bit thirsty not too bad tho and actually I'm feeling ok considering. I'm guessing I still have some insulin I produce. Tho bloods to go to 28 at night. At the moment and it is silly but I just don't care I'm taking a break. So I totally understand how you must feel and after 28 years it must be really hard. Cause I'm down over losing the good bs readings I had for 4 weeks then boom. I'll care again I'm sure. I will try all tips re bs testing tho because that really gets me down. I hope you feel better soon. I hope I do too.

@nessa1970 You mentioned a GAD test there. It looks like your team are pretty sure about your Type 1 diagnosis.

Some Type 1s still have residual beta cell activity and a tiny amount of insulin production years after diagnosis, but they still need insulin injections to keep their blood sugar in range.

I know you know in your heart that stopping insulin isn't a good idea, but I feel bound to emphasise that even 'holudays' from insulin, where your BS levels are high but you manage to avoid DKA, are a bad idea. You've reported BS levels higher than I had at diagnosis : ( Those high levels will be damaging your body.

I know you've said that at the moment you don't care, but you have people who care about you.

Please speak to your Endo and counsellor and get the support you need. You can do it.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@nessa1970 You mentioned a GAD test there. It looks like your team are pretty sure about your Type 1 diagnosis.

Some Type 1s still have residual beta cell activity and a tiny amount of insulin production years after diagnosis, but they still need insulin injections to keep their blood sugar in range.

I know you know in your heart that stopping insulin isn't a good idea, but I feel bound to emphasise that even 'holudays' from insulin, where your BS levels are high but you manage to avoid DKA, are a bad idea. You've reported BS levels higher than I had at diagnosis : ( Those high levels will be damaging your body.

I know you've said that at the moment you don't care, but you have people who care about you.

Please speak to your Endo and counsellor and get the support you need. You can do it.
Hi azure,
I really do know I need to take it. I just can't cope with it right now. I see my councillor on Thursday my dn is away not back till November. She's going to be disappointed in me so I'm not in a hurry to see her actually. Yes bs are up tonight 38 morning 17. Weird thing is I feel so good. Not exactly enticing me to take it. I want the c.peptide test done as that tells you how much insulin you are still producing. My last one was 382. Whatever that means. I guess I just want it all double checked as I did have this go on for 2 years so I don't have a when lot of faith in the medical profession. Thank you for caring I have told my family so they know and I am eating low carb for the most part and intend to go back to the full on diabetes life soon. Do you know if it's ok to go back to what I use to take (lantus 9 morning and night) novorapid with all meals corrections etc... or should I start low as to avoid hypos ?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nessa93 Don't worry about your DSN being disappointed - all that matters is you and your health. Can you give your team a call? Even if your own DSN is away they should,have someone else you can speak to. With a BS up to 38, you need to be seen and given advice.

Please don't judge your health by the way you feel. It can be very deceptive, especially if your blood sugars have gradually risen. If we all felt suitably **** before we went into DKA no one would ever be admitted as an emergency or go into a coma. It can creep up on you.

Can you put into words what you're finding most hard to cope with regarding the diabetes?

No one here can give advice about your insulin doses, but your basal needs should be the same and you should adjust your meal time fast acting insulin according to what you're eating. I think you were doing that before? If in any doubt whatsoever, phone for medical advice.

Take care X

Reactions: Bebo321

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This may sound daft, but I play guitar. This toughens up my fingertips, and I find testing is not too bad. One tip I learnt when I was playing bass guitar in a band I used surgical spirit to de sensitize my fingers. Cotton wool dipped in spirit, then rubbed on fingertip. I currently test 4 times a day with extra ones for DVLA. I play guitar about 1 night a week, so not a lot.

The other tips given in other threads are sensible. Blood flow is not a prob for me since i am on a blood thinner med. As the vampire says at the blood test session. I am a good pumper. Luckily I also stop well

I hope your journey down De Nile goes into reverse soon. I was there till a year ago, which is when I decided to take control again, and I am doing well at the moment. Three things stand out in my mind that worked for me. Having a GP that supports self monitoring for T2's, my diet, and this forum. Seeing bgl levels coming back into control is a great stimulus for me

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: BeccyB

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Nessa93 Don't worry about your DSN being disappointed - all that matters is you and your health. Can you give your team a call? Even if your own DSN is away they should,have someone else you can speak to. With a BS up to 38, you need to be seen and given advice.

Please don't judge your health by the way you feel. It can be very deceptive, especially if your blood sugars have gradually risen. If we all felt suitably **** before we went into DKA no one would ever be admitted as an emergency or go into a coma. It can creep up on you.

Can you put into words what you're finding most hard to cope with regarding the diabetes?

No one here can give advice about your insulin doses, but your basal needs should be the same and you should adjust your meal time fast acting insulin according to what you're eating. I think you were doing that before? If in any doubt whatsoever, phone for medical advice.

Take care X
I was doing carb counting corrections etc was goid for a while I felt quite accepting of it and bs were pretty good. Then they started going hi 11 etc in morning and my fingers hurt and I got sick of it all and frustrated andinsulin doesn't put weight on but it sure makes me eat more and it makes me put on 10kg. Was not happy. So I stopped mostly over my fingers an high bs. But also the gain to 68 from 58. I'm now 64 so I'm ok there is test in morning 17 night Hi and ketone fine as still 0.1... I'm OK I am peeing more on day 8 and thirsty alot eyes bit affected blurry bit tired this only really hit me today but not really overly bothered as I put up with this for over a year while I felt like a fool going dr hospital etc while driving etc did nothing. Now I'm type 1 dr say you need to take your meds. High bs are bad. All I want to say is ... really I tried to tell you that for ages and you guys thought 15 up to hi was apart of it all here have another metforman.
Guess I'm sorta sticking my hands up rolling eyes .... I am being careful I no what dka is and I'm not going to let myself get that atall. Promises. I will restart my diabetes routine next weds. Or if I get too 60kg before then. Suspect I will. I'll ring my dn cover lady she's nice . I'll ring her tomorrow ok azure. Guess I'm just a little frustrated with it all. I don't no if I can take the bs testing tho. Maybe do a morning one and a tea one only.
Cheers very much xx

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This may sound daft, but I play guitar. This toughens up my fingertips, and I find testing is not too bad. One tip I learnt when I was playing bass guitar in a band I used surgical spirit to de sensitize my fingers. Cotton wool dipped in spirit, then rubbed on fingertip. I currently test 4 times a day with extra ones for DVLA. I play guitar about 1 night a week, so not a lot.

The other tips given in other threads are sensible. Blood flow is not a prob for me since i am on a blood thinner med. As the vampire says at the blood test session. I am a good pumper. Luckily I also stop well

I hope your journey down De Nile goes into reverse soon. I was there till a year ago, which is when I decided to take control again, and I am doing well at the moment. Three things stand out in my mind that worked for me. Having a GP that supports self monitoring for T2's, my diet, and this forum. Seeing bgl levels coming back into control is a great stimulus for me
Thank you for the support. I have been doing it on sides of fingers etc but it still hurts. Until nz gets cgm funding I suspect I'll be a low bs tester ... I think I could commit to 3 a day for the most part. Funnily enough whenever my dn does it it doesn't hurt. Someone suggested a child lancet. I will ask for this tomorrow when I ring my dn.
Thanks for the tips and reply

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I understand your frustration at being ignored all that time @nessa1970 No wonder you're angry and upset. Unfortunately, misdiagnosing an adult onset Type 1 as a Type 2 is surprisingly common. I wish doctors wouldn't make assumptions based on age.

But whatever you feel about your doctors, don't let your anger at them be misdirected and hurt you. When it comes down to it, they don't matter. Only your health matters. So don't control your BS for them - control it for you.

You've reported a reading of HI on your meter. That's really worrying. That's means your blood sugar is higher than 33mmol - so high your meter can't read it. That high sugar will be damaging your body. I think you know that in your heart, but it does need saying. Even if you avoid DKA, such a high sugar is 'poisoning' your body. Your weight loss shows this. It's not normal weight loss, it's the result of your body starving for lack of insulin and breaking itself down. It will also be partly the result of dehydration as your body desperately tries to pee out the excess glucose.

I understand your concerns about your weight, but you're not overweight and your previous weight probably wasn't your normal weight because if you've had high sugars for a while before diagnosis, your body may not have been able to use the food you ate. I reckon I had Type 1 for a few months before diagnosis, or at least that my pancreas was failing. I had a number of infections as my body was run down. I was also very slim and had lost weight even before the final push into full-blown Type 1,

Not taking insulin is a way to control weight (see the Diabulimia/eating problems section here) but it comes at a potentially huge cost... I could link you to any number of stories showing that, but I'll leave you to google. There is psychological help and support available if you feel you're at risk of that. There's also a website called DWED where you can read more.

Insulin and the right diet for you is the way to go. You can choose appropriate meals and then adjust your insulin to match them.

I know you were doing well with carb counting, etc. That was fantastic and a huge turnaround that you should be very, very proud of. Don't let a few highs make you feel down or like a failure. They happen to us all. Just correct and move on. No one can be perfect - we only have to do our best.

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I understand your frustration at being ignored all that time @nessa1970 No wonder you're angry and upset. Unfortunately, misdiagnosing an adult onset Type 1 as a Type 2 is surprisingly common. I wish doctors wouldn't make assumptions based on age.

But whatever you feel about your doctors, don't let your anger at them be misdirected and hurt you. When it comes down to it, they don't matter. Only your health matters. So don't control your BS for them - control it for you.

You've reported a reading of HI on your meter. That's really worrying. That's means your blood sugar is higher than 33mmol - so high your meter can't read it. That high sugar will be damaging your body. I think you know that in your heart, but it does need saying. Even if you avoid DKA, such a high sugar is 'poisoning' your body. Your weight loss shows this. It's not normal weight loss, it's the result of your body starving for lack of insulin and breaking itself down. It will also be partly the result of dehydration as your body desperately tries to pee out the excess glucose.

I understand your concerns about your weight, but you're not overweight and your previous weight probably wasn't your normal weight because if you've had high sugars for a while before diagnosis, your body may not have been able to use the food you ate. I reckon I had Type 1 for a few months before diagnosis, or at least that my pancreas was failing. I had a number of infections as my body was run down. I was also very slim and had lost weight even before the final push into full-blown Type 1,

Not taking insulin is a way to control weight (see the Diabulimia/eating problems section here) but it comes at a potentially huge cost... I could link you to any number of stories showing that, but I'll leave you to google. There is psychological help and support available if you feel you're at risk of that. There's also a website called DWED where you can read more.

Insulin and the right diet for you is the way to go. You can choose appropriate meals and then adjust your insulin to match them.

I know you were doing well with carb counting, etc. That was fantastic and a huge turnaround that you should be very, very proud of. Don't let a few highs make you feel down or like a failure. They happen to us all. Just correct and move on. No one can be perfect - we only have to do our best.
It is total abuse really isn't it if you take away the emotions and feelings and leave just the action.
Starving my body of what it needs to function. I feel a bit sick about it.
I'm very confused.
Also I'm not working at present so eating low carb isn't always an option. And that insulin makes me hungry for some reason. So I'm in a trap at the moment.
I will try hard to climb out of the fog .
I don't feel good emotionally doing this it feels like cheating an I guess abusive.
I can take insulin an not do bs that's better than nothing.
I hate this. I feel I'm going to be a f..ked up mess with this illness and it's scary.
Thanks azure

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do not drop your insulin!!! I went into DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) this summer for exactly the same reasons and it was not worth it at all. The harsh truth is that if you don't take insulin and you have constant high blood glucose readings, then you are putting yourself at risk of DKA, comas, complications like kidney failure and limb removal and even death. As someone that's been through it, i would never want anyone else to experience it, as I was in HDU for two weeks and nearly on life support. Diabetes is hard, I know from experience, but complications are harder. If you're feeling bad about your diabetes then talk to your nurse or consultant and they can arrange to get you some help with how you feel.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Plus the reason you're getting hungry is because your body has been denied the nutrients it needs to work properly, so as you do your insulin, you're giving your cells the energy they need that they've not had, this should ease after a few weeks of doing insulin

nessa1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Plus the reason you're getting hungry is because your body has been denied the nutrients it needs to work properly, so as you do your insulin, you're giving your cells the energy they need that they've not had, this should ease after a few weeks of doing insulin
Ok thank you. I will start it again Sunday. I certainly don't want to be sick. My ketones are still good so that's good

Reactions: BeccyB

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hey Nessa - please start straight away don't wait till Sunday you are playing a dangerous game with your body by not taking your insulin ignore the fact your ketones are 'good' your high levels still indicate damage is being done to your body and yes it is abuse.

There is only so much any of us can say here now it is up to you you must take your insulin and stop finding excuses not to - your nurse sounds great and I am sure she can support you but it is down to you Hun to take control and forget all the other reasons and put your health first, please think of your family and do what's best x

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
I'll have to check if we that available in new Zealand I will find out Monday and if yes will get a script for one. We're pretty lucky here I get it all free an the test blood things so if we have that one funded I'll be able to get it. Thank you
I have a type 2 brother in Australia with his wife now a type1. I went to see them 22 years ago for 6 weeks. (I have been typ 1 for 50yrs). I noticed she was drinking a lot of water, I asked her to see her doc for a sugar test. She said no. I had a blood tester on me and could she just put a spot of blood on the strip. She said no again. 20years later, she is Diabetic and is now quite ill and got a lot of complications eyes, heart etc. and regrets not taking my advice.
The moral of this is we are all only as good as we try to be.
try to get back on track, hope you are getting better now

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Ok thank you. I will start it again Sunday. I certainly don't want to be sick. My ketones are still good so that's good

If you really are finding it hard to cope, at least take a daily basal injection. Eating zero carb, you can then pretty much not bother for the rest of the day (a pretty extreme suggestion - but really if you are struggling you will at least stay safe until your head is in a better place, or you get more direct help from your doctor) Craving chocolate? buy 90% cocoa. High BGs can put you emotionally in a very hard place so the sooner you get control the better.
You know you can do it - it's time to take your finger off the self destruct button.
If your finger pricks hurt, make sure you are changing your lancet regularly. (It can make quite a big difference)
There are other places for support too - an online community lively on twitter www.gbdoc.co.uk and also www.teambloodglucose.com - get in touch directly and they will be able to talk things through with you.
Hang on in there :)

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

@nessa1970 You're in denial - and I know you know that. That's an expression of deep concern for you, not an accusation.

More than a day ago, you said you were phoning the DSN cover lady - did you? What did she say?

You keep mentioning DKA but the risk is also damage to your body - damage to your kidneys, damage to your blood vessels, damage to your eyes. This isn't a theoretical risk that people bandy about - it is real.

Some Type 1s avoid insulin or manipulate it to take as little as possible to keep themselves out of DKA for quite some time. But they do not get away with it. They suffer varying degrees of damage, including blindness and kidney failure. Maybe some of them think that it still worth it to be just that little bit lighter, but I bet not. Would you?

Please take your insulin @nessa1970 You're slipping down a slope that gets ever steeper, but you can still dig your heels in and stop and be safe.

You need support. You need the help of a DSN and also proper psychological support, not only your counsellor, good as they might be.

You can beat this. You can take Type 1 by the scruff of the neck and put it back in its cage. Don't let it walk all over you and destroy the things you hold dear.

Speak to someone now or visit the ER.