People wont listen - rant

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not having the same problem thank goodness. Several diabetics in my family. My husband started LCHF to help me stick to it. After 3 weeks only one problem he has lost 12 pounds and I have lost about 3.5! Feeling slightly miffed.

I hear you. Lovely hubby went low carb to support me, with the addition of several slices of Burgen toast a day, honey on his berries and delicious Tesco Greek full-fat yogurt plus the occasional roast spud. He's losing at twice the rate I am. Maybe testosterone would help...?

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just do my own thing food-wise and will explain if anyone asks, politely refuse anything I don't want, only then getting assertive along the lines of "I have said, "no" and I mean it." if people start pressuring me.

Anyone who is tries to talk me out of what I now do just gets the shrugged shoulders, and a bland "I have lost a significant amount of weight, and my GP is happy with all current test results. I would say it's working for me." comment.

Some people have asked more, I've explained what I've done, and left them with the information. After all, I wouldn't have taken this kind of advice two years ago....

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tom Kerridge should be proud of himself. If I remember correctly, he's lost something like 11 stone. I remember when he won Best British Menu, or whatever, he was enormous! I could wish he'd be a bit more vocal about the joys of a low carb lifestyle to encourage others but it's not his responsibility.

It's so hard to not tell everyone you know!

well his new book, the dopamine diet is specifically a low carb diet and the vast majority of it is fine for a diabetic, so he is trying !

Reactions: Freema and Prem51

powerley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Getting back to the original start of this thread. I am type one diabetic (DAFNE) carb counting etc.. and i have a work colleague who is also type 1, they have fixed amount of insulin every meal time..when i go out on break we obviously discuss diabetes etc..but one thing really gets my goat is when i start eating a chocolate bar, the response is you should'nt be eating that or are you having a hypo..my point being is that even though we all have diabetes, there are many different ways of managing it, and in a way we all believe we are right in what we do, and everyone should be doing the same. Its a minefield when giving advice as people are stubborn and think their way is the only way.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
There's a good centre page spread in the 'Waitrose Weekend' this week, promoted full page on the front, about diabetes, and the 800 calorie blood sugar diet.
Article by Dr Michael Mosley, an article on exercise, and the Mediterranean diet, and a few good breakfast recipes.

I emailed Waitrose recently because of the food recipes in their free magazines.

I suggested cauli rice, how to make it etc... and other recipes because theirs were overloaded with carbs.

No response yet..

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I emailed Waitrose recently because of the food recipes in their free magazines.

I suggested cauli rice, how to make it etc... and other recipes because theirs were overloaded with carbs.

No response yet..

That is because they want you to buy the cauli rice they sell pre-packaged and sealed in its little Long Life bag. They can charge much more for that...

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is because they want you to buy the cauli rice they sell pre-packaged and sealed in its little Long Life bag. They can charge much more for that...
I looked for this in Tesco and couldn't find any so I bought a cauliflower and put it in the food processor mincing machine and got three large portions from it.

FloraDora

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked for this in Tesco and couldn't find any so I bought a cauliflower and put it in the food processor mincing machine and got three large portions from it.

Aldi have now started to sell tubs of Cauliflower Rice .......its in the veg section near the mushrooms. I think it was about 75p for quite a large tub. It has nice size grains, a little larger than we get when we blitz cauli at home, and 75p is not much more than the cost of a Cauliflower.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is in the rice section, next to Uncle Bens packaged stuff. We try and keep a bag in for Mr B, but I prefer to make my own too. The DIY stuff freezes well.
Thanks for that, I will try and find it and try it. In the meantime I have been doing the DIY stuff and not finding it a bother.

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
I agree in part to BrianThe Elder being fairly new to this site myself having tried for 17 years listening to the doctors and more recent NHS guidelines people are a little apprehensive trying a completely new way of doing things.But if what we where told to eat was not working why not give this site and advice from people like yourself a try for a couple of months,they have nothing to loose.Not everything falls on deaf ears just persevere your all doing an excellent job,I would not have know where to turn but for this site and the advice from all of you out there. It's about 4/6 weeks since I joined and my BG is in the normal range for the first time in years hopefully no more meds.for me.Thank you thank you thank You!!!!!!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is in the rice section, next to Uncle Bens packaged stuff. We try and keep a bag in for Mr B, but I prefer to make my own too. The DIY stuff freezes well.
Sainsbury sells it too. tried it out and it seems ok. In their rice & currry sauce section

Reactions: Prem51

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like some others on here, I haven't told many people of my T2 diagnosis. Frankly, they're not bothered.

When asked why I wasn't eating x, y, or z, I told them I'd had some bloods done, which highlighted some things I was eating and drinking weren't doing me any good, and x, y or z was one of those foods. Where I had comments about losing weight, the same response worked.

I don't explain any more than that. I have told my close family and friends and of course that was a mixed bag of responses, but generally I just get on with it.

The only person I have really told, without too much prompting was someone in our social circle who complimented me on how slim I had become and he asked how I'd done it. He then went on to explain he'd been trying to trim up for a while, because he had been diagnosed as pre-diabetic, so I told him what I did As a 70-something year old, his eyes lit up like beacons when he realised not only was butter to be tolerated, but embraced. I also lent him a copy of Trudi Deakin's book, "Eat Fat".

When I last saw him he had lost a bit of weight, but did admit he was really enjoying his new way of eating, but vino and a few G&Ts were probably hampering his inner Adonis.

I didn't ask him about any subsequent bloods. I wouldn't pry.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I use all three - home grated, long life and pre grated fresh cauli in bags or tubs, they all have a place in my and Mr C's low carb way of eating depending where we are to eat and how much time we have to prepare and equipment to cook with.. The expensive long life stuff is perfect for Mr C having a healthy meal at work where all he has available is a microwave and a plate whereas at home I would always prefer (when I have the time) to use a whole fresh cauliflower which of course tastes better and is fantastic - when I have the time. Probably the most frequently used in this house is the preprepared fresh cauliflower that comes in a bag or tub from the fresh prepared veg section - very convenient and healthy. Makes a good sub for couscous or rice and reasonably cheap.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

No response yet..

I thought they were good, so I guess I need to let them know that as well then.
And the benefit of reversing type 2 on the 800 calories diet.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Like some others on here, I haven't told many people of my T2 diagnosis. Frankly, they're not bothered.

When asked why I wasn't eating x, y, or z, I told them I'd had some bloods done, which highlighted some things I was eating and drinking weren't doing me any good, and x, y or z was one of those foods. Where I had comments about losing weight, the same response worked.

I don't explain any more than that. I have told my close family and friends and of course that was a mixed bag of responses, but generally I just get on with it.

The only person I have really told, without too much prompting was someone in our social circle who complimented me on how slim I had become and he asked how I'd done it. He then went on to explain he'd been trying to trim up for a while, because he had been diagnosed as pre-diabetic, so I told him what I did As a 70-something year old, his eyes lit up like beacons when he realised not only was butter to be tolerated, but embraced. I also lent him a copy of Trudi Deakin's book, "Eat Fat".

When I last saw him he had lost a bit of weight, but did admit he was really enjoying his new way of eating, but vino and a few G&Ts were probably hampering his inner Adonis.

I didn't ask him about any subsequent bloods. I wouldn't pry.

I tend to be the opposite.
I have no issue in telling everyone that I used to be type 2, and that I reversed it by losing a massive amount of weight on a very low calorie diet.
It's surprising how many people are/know a type 2, so setting them on the right track to a sustainable diet seems to be worthwhile to me.
I cant really complain about any stigma attached to type 2 either, because I was fat, and fairly lazy.

Reactions: Freema

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I thought they were good, so I guess I need to let them know that as well then.
And the benefit of reversing type 2 on the 800 calories diet.

It was the recipes in the booklet not the free waitrose news paper they do...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to be the opposite.
I have no issue in telling everyone that I used to be type 2, and that I reversed it by losing a massive amount of weight on a very low calorie diet.
It's surprising how many people are/know a type 2, so setting them on the right track to a sustainable diet seems to be worthwhile to me.
I cant really complain about any stigma attached to type 2 either, because I was fat, and fairly lazy.

I that's just one more example of the fact there are as many approaches to the condition as there are those diagnosed.

My approach is nothing to do with stigma. I am just a private person, and don't care to discuss my personal affairs with all and sundry, in the same way I don't expect a full explanation when someone else decides to make a change in their lives.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
IMG_1486245715.377557.jpg

IMG_1486245755.856853.jpg

IMG_1486245783.173326.jpg
IMG_1486245807.273367.jpg

IMG_1486245826.572861.jpg

Freeze it raw..
One cauli for me does three meals for the two of us...

With the herbs as tasty tasty additives, I can eat this just by itself. The tray in picture does 1 meal for two of us..

Its so cheap!!

Everybody loves it who eat with us and always goes home with the 3 item recipe....

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
What do you do if you haven't got a food processor,I'm waiting of delivery of a spiralizer this week has I love Italian food but how would I make a tomato based sauce from scratch/ or a sauce that's healthy low carb carbonara type sauce.
I know I'm getting on a bit but cannot find my way round this site sometimes especially when I want some changes to what I eat more healthier options to the ready made jars from supermarket.!Help?

Reactions: donnellysdogs