Who are you voting for in the general election 2017?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I heard someone say exactly the same thing (cross party Brexit negotiating group) on Radio 4 Any Answers today - was that you @maglil55 ?
Not guilty. Logically, it makes a lot of sense. Imagine the media if Teresa May had a meeting with Jeremy Corbyn and they had no idea what it was about? Keir Stamner seems like he'd be a positive addition. There's no way the media could object to a merging of skills to make a success of it.
So she has a discussion with Jeremy regarding the building of a cross party team because of the importance of A Brexit deal. Presenting a united front to the EU with 84% between them should stop any ideas Junker & co have that they can demand what they like now. If Jeremy Corbyn rejects the idea it does not do him any favours because it's all about putting the country first. As I said it might even put a stop to all the abuse and nastiness that contaminates the country.

PS I used to have to think on my feet. As I said previously my job was to analyse Government proposals and legislation, turn it into a form people could understand and produce presentation and training material. Then I had the pleasure of presenting it to varying audiences. I lost track of the number of times (particularly during the Blair government) that having spent months consulting and preparing they would change things at night just when you were due to do a major presentation the next day. I learned to do without sleep working out how to turn a perceived negative into a positive overnight. I always managed to do it too.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I agree with your suggestion, but the confrontational nature of British party politics make it unlikely. Actually I don't think Corbyn would reject it if the Conservatives were to offer it.
A cross party committee to work out a policy on dealing with the increasing problem of dementia and social care would also be a good idea, but again it's probably not likely.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Got to love the creationists!
Well God does??

According to the news this week it is now believed because of the recent finds in north west Africa that we were around well over 300, 000 years ago!

I think someone missed a couple of noughts off!
The DUP would say that's 'fake news'!
They believe that the Giant's Causeway was actually built by Giants 4,000 years ago!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A comeback to nowhere - just like where he started out from and ended up. The everyday, man-in-the-street public school educated stockbroker and commodities trader - a real man of the people (not!).
Like it or not unfortunately and entirely incidentally due to the bickerings of the main parties and general ineptitude, Farrage has become the most influential politician on the British stage since probably Churchill - which really blow's one's mind.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I certainly did not vote for either of the big two never have never will.
Not so long ago Jeremy Corbins party were trying to get him out now those same ones are saying he would make a good Prime Minister. As to those who voted Tory think about it do you really want Boris Johnson as Prime Minister if TM goes because he is going to try for it.
I think a lot of voting is sexist there are still plenty of men who think woman can't do a senior or executive job as well as a man so they do not agree with a woman Prime Minister and would not vote for her

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a lot of voting is sexist there are still plenty of men who think woman can't do a senior or executive job as well as a man so they do not agree with a woman Prime Minister and would not vote for her
Your theory doesn't seem to apply in Scotland.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Not guilty. Logically, it makes a lot of sense. Imagine the media if Teresa May had a meeting with Jeremy Corbyn and they had no idea what it was about? Keir Stamner seems like he'd be a positive addition. There's no way the media could object to a merging of skills to make a success of it.
So she has a discussion with Jeremy regarding the building of a cross party team because of the importance of A Brexit deal. Presenting a united front to the EU with 84% between them should stop any ideas Junker & co have that they can demand what they like now. If Jeremy Corbyn rejects the idea it does not do him any favours because it's all about putting the country first. As I said it might even put a stop to all the abuse and nastiness that contaminates the country.

PS I used to have to think on my feet. As I said previously my job was to analyse Government proposals and legislation, turn it into a form people could understand and produce presentation and training material. Then I had the pleasure of presenting it to varying audiences. I lost track of the number of times (particularly during the Blair government) that having spent months consulting and preparing they would change things at night just when you were due to do a major presentation the next day. I learned to do without sleep working out how to turn a perceived negative into a positive overnight. I always managed to do it too.
I have a theory that the bosses would receive a phone call from a "someone" and learn that someone important had frowned and whoosh everything change quicker than the blink of an eye. Experts to be disregarded as careers were in the balance.
I have not seen anyone discuss or suggest this but from my armchair reading I have developed a theory that once Article 50 is triggered there is no actual need to do anything or talk to anybody. The "objective" of exiting the EU happens on the second anniversary of the trigger:- March 2019. The only way to prevent leaving on that day is for every one of the 27 nations to agree to an extension. Given that dignitaries of most, if not all have been subjected to the attentions an incivility of Etonians it seems to be unlikely there will be any circumstance in which every one of the 27 will agree to an extension even if one were to be requested. So the 1% who are the "will of the people" have withdrawn us from the EU:- or Theresa May has by deciding to trigger the Article before the election:- depending on your point of view.
If that is right there is no need to discuss Brexit again and my 2019 everyone will have forgotten all about it. If wrong why is there such a focus on the 2 year deadline other than worrying about the repercussions that will follow. if "THEY" are concerned about the repercussions why was the referendum allowed?

Reactions: Prem51 and dbr10

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a theory that the bosses would receive a phone call from a "someone" and learn that someone important had frowned and whoosh everything change quicker than the blink of an eye. Experts to be disregarded as careers were in the balance.
I have not seen anyone discuss or suggest this but from my armchair reading I have developed a theory that once Article 50 is triggered there is no actual need to do anything or talk to anybody. The "objective" of exiting the EU happens on the second anniversary of the trigger:- March 2019. The only way to prevent leaving on that day is for every one of the 27 nations to agree to an extension. Given that dignitaries of most, if not all have been subjected to the attentions an incivility of Etonians it seems to be unlikely there will be any circumstance in which every one of the 27 will agree to an extension even if one were to be requested. So the 1% who are the "will of the people" have withdrawn us from the EU:- or Theresa May has by deciding to trigger the Article before the election:- depending on your point of view.
If that is right there is no need to discuss Brexit again and my 2019 everyone will have forgotten all about it. If wrong why is there such a focus on the 2 year deadline other than worrying about the repercussions that will follow. if "THEY" are concerned about the repercussions why was the referendum allowed?
They thought they would launch project fear and it would work again like it did in the Scottish referendum.

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
They thought they would launch project fear and it would work again like it did in the Scottish referendum.
Well speaking for myself and my impressions of peoples views bearing in mind I spend most of my time in public gardens/lotties including manning the lottie shop that would have been very stoopid. Very naive. I have never lived anywhere but a safe seat and as such I and insofar as I can tell people in my neighbourhoods have never had to form strong political allegiances. Likes, hates and general contempt or "well what can we expect"s yes. Most people live in safe seat areas.

The moment Cameron said he supported "remain" the local feeling was naturally to do the opposite and that would also have been predicted by political analysts. TBH I must have dozed off through the remain part of the campaign other than Gideons silly numbers but most people around here have sufficient grasp of numbers to know his figures never added up.

Local experiences differ but each can be predicted within quite a narrow margin. Here, having two universities with a high % of oriental students we were frequently lobbied to vote leave on their perceived experiences of the centralist policies of Chairman Mao but I never heard of anyone believing the Leave campaign promises. Many people believe the banana story and that a lot of our rules were European though.

I think the decision to call the referendum was too close to the EU threats to tighten up on Tax havens nd tax avoidance schemes to be persuaded that was not one of the prime reasons to leave the EU. Then there was the frequent mentions of the Tobin tax and the small fry in big international sea v big fish in small muddy pond theory. Another big plus for leave is this is Coventry were 10 and 11 year olds do a project on world war 2 that leaves a many (hopefully in the long term a minority) of them with a life long hatred of Germans. Coventry was bombed for one night, 568 died and the cathedral was largely destroyed and it is still the focus of much of Coventry's tourism. Add a Allo Allo idea of the French and there is no way a significant number of people around here will support anything European. So much so we never take any visitor who may be mistaken as been German into Coventry. It is the place to come to for Noodle Bars though.

What is more Government advisors would have known all of that and ticked up this area as leave on the back of an envelope tally. Hard to see why they would not be able to predict the outcome for other regions.

Reactions: Prem51

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I now live in a very safe constituency.
Thirty years ago, I grew up in a safe Tory seat (at the time!)
No one believed that it would change.
We had a government minister as sitting MP.
A general election came along in '79 (I think!)
Against all the odds, Labour toppled the MP. (Against the trends) (first ever Labour win there)
That constituency now is a safe Labour seat despite the then Tory government changing the boundaries, which affected the nearby constituency, which has been labour since the last two general elections.
My area voted remain because the whole of the Merseyside area knew and benefited from the eurozone because all the projects were played for by the Eu!
The Tories especially under Thatcher and Major ignored the area and left it to rot away, we scousers don't forget these things!

Of course we get many Europeans to visit our great area, thanks to a couple of decades of stability under local government dominated by Labour, despite the ever increasing reduction in money from Westminster.
We welcome them all especially the Germans, despite them bombing our chippies!

I grew up in an area heavily bombed by the Luftwaffe, and suffered some horrendous
damage to the docks area and high casualties.

I found out as a child that Merseyside was the second likely target for attack if we went to nuclear war!

I hid under my desk in school!

Reactions: Prem51

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like it or not unfortunately and entirely incidentally due to the bickerings of the main parties and general ineptitude, Farrage has become the most influential politician on the British stage since probably Churchill - which really blow's one's mind.
That would be the influential politician with no seats, then, wouldn't it? And while we're at it, no influence either.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

For some reason UKIP, never had candidates in the constituencies around here!

I forgot to mention Chester! The city seat which had been a massive majority for the Tories forever, until a certain Giles Brandereth became MP.
It was the most marginal and targeted as number one gain for the Tories they expected to get it!
The Labour majority went up by 4000 with an increased turnout!
It is now Labour, if you would have said that to me before, I would have laughed at you! Extraordinary result!

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well speaking for myself and my impressions of peoples views bearing in mind I spend most of my time in public gardens/lotties including manning the lottie shop that would have been very stoopid. Very naive. I have never lived anywhere but a safe seat and as such I and insofar as I can tell people in my neighbourhoods have never had to form strong political allegiances. Likes, hates and general contempt or "well what can we expect"s yes. Most people live in safe seat areas.

The moment Cameron said he supported "remain" the local feeling was naturally to do the opposite and that would also have been predicted by political analysts. TBH I must have dozed off through the remain part of the campaign other than Gideons silly numbers but most people around here have sufficient grasp of numbers to know his figures never added up.

Local experiences differ but each can be predicted within quite a narrow margin. Here, having two universities with a high % of oriental students we were frequently lobbied to vote leave on their perceived experiences of the centralist policies of Chairman Mao but I never heard of anyone believing the Leave campaign promises. Many people believe the banana story and that a lot of our rules were European though.

I think the decision to call the referendum was too close to the EU threats to tighten up on Tax havens nd tax avoidance schemes to be persuaded that was not one of the prime reasons to leave the EU. Then there was the frequent mentions of the Tobin tax and the small fry in big international sea v big fish in small muddy pond theory. Another big plus for leave is this is Coventry were 10 and 11 year olds do a project on world war 2 that leaves a many (hopefully in the long term a minority) of them with a life long hatred of Germans. Coventry was bombed for one night, 568 died and the cathedral was largely destroyed and it is still the focus of much of Coventry's tourism. Add a Allo Allo idea of the French and there is no way a significant number of people around here will support anything European. So much so we never take any visitor who may be mistaken as been German into Coventry. It is the place to come to for Noodle Bars though.

What is more Government advisors would have known all of that and ticked up this area as leave on the back of an envelope tally. Hard to see why they would not be able to predict the outcome for other regions.
All very interesting, yes. But, they must have thought it might work, otherwise they wouldn't have put so much effort into it. Osborne did make himself incredible, of course. All the talk of interest rates rising, if the pound collapsed; when they could just as easily have fallen if we had been tipped into recession. He's also the Chancellor responsible for the slowest recovery I 300 years and failed to meet most of the targets he set himself. Fancy throwing your hat into the ring?

Reactions: covknit

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I now live in a very safe constituency.
Thirty years ago, I grew up in a safe Tory seat (at the time!)
No one believed that it would change.
We had a government minister as sitting MP.
A general election came along in '79 (I think!)
Against all the odds, Labour toppled the MP. (Against the trends) (first ever Labour win there)
That constituency now is a safe Labour seat despite the then Tory government changing the boundaries, which affected the nearby constituency, which has been labour since the last two general elections.
My area voted remain because the whole of the Merseyside area knew and benefited from the eurozone because all the projects were played for by the Eu!
The Tories especially under Thatcher and Major ignored the area and left it to rot away, we scousers don't forget these things!

Of course we get many Europeans to visit our great area, thanks to a couple of decades of stability under local government dominated by Labour, despite the ever increasing reduction in money from Westminster.
We welcome them all especially the Germans, despite them bombing our chippies!

I grew up in an area heavily bombed by the Luftwaffe, and suffered some horrendous
damage to the docks area and high casualties.

I found out as a child that Merseyside was the second likely target for attack if we went to nuclear war!

I hid under my desk in school!
I'm not surprised! You wouldn't normally vote to make yourselves poorer, understandably. Strangely, Wales, another poorer area of the country, did decide it could manage without the £245m net gain it got from the EU. The poor voted to make themselves poorer. Strange times, and all largely unfathomable.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That would be the influential politician with no seats, then, wouldn't it? And while we're at it, no influence either.
He seems to be indulged by the TV networks out of all proportion to his importance.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not surprised! You wouldn't normally vote to make yourselves poorer, understandably. Strangely, Wales, another poorer area of the country, did decide it could manage without the £245m net gain it got from the EU. The poor voted to make themselves poorer. Strange times, and all largely unfathomable.

Mainly in the south and mid to west Wales which includes Anglesey!
North Wales especially the urban areas are Labour and remain if I remember correctly!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm not surprised! You wouldn't normally vote to make yourselves poorer, understandably. Strange times, and all largely unfathomable.

We know which side our jam butties are spread! (Those from the buttie mines from Knotty Ash of course!)