Using MyFitnessPal for carb logging...

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.... and curious

At the moment I lump food and drink into the relevant meal (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) and two for am and pm snacks...

Do people pay attention to any carbs in drinks or just focus on their grub?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I always include drinks as well as food personally.. but I do aim for a very low carb level so could easily go over if I were to miss them off.

Reactions: RFSMarch

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbs are carbs, whether they are solid or liquid. I drink one white coffee in the morning, then I drink carb free drinks the rest of the day. I personally prefer to eat my carbs not drink them!
If you’re drinking 5 cups of coffee per day with say 100mls of milk each that would add 24g carbs to your daily total, that’s getting on for half of my daily 50 - 70g carbs per day that I eat and drink.

rmz80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I stopped drinking coffee every day when I realised how much milk I was using

bamba

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can't really taste the coffee if you put milk in it.

If you don't like it then .....

(There are some really nice teas - Earl Grey / Lapsang Souchong .....)

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Document everything, you will be surprised what you will see when you look at the whole picture

Reactions: RFSMarch

brassyblonde900

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You can't really taste the coffee if you put milk in it.

If you don't like it then .....

(There are some really nice teas - Earl Grey / Lapsang Souchong .....)
For me the whole idea is not to taste the coffee.
Before Dx I would call what I had, "coffee flavoured milky syrup" Now its Salted Cinnamon coffee...the things I do for normal BG levels.

Anfalas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carbs are carbs, whether they are solid or liquid. I drink one white coffee in the morning, then I drink carb free drinks the rest of the day. I personally prefer to eat my carbs not drink them!
If you’re drinking 5 cups of coffee per day with say 100mls of milk each that would add 24g carbs to your daily total, that’s getting on for half of my daily 50 - 70g carbs per day that I eat and drink.
What about soy or almond milk?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about soy or almond milk?
I’ve never tried Soya milk but I do use almond milk to make a carb free milk shake with no added sugar milkshake syrup, however I don’t like the taste of it in coffee.

Anfalas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve never tried Soya milk but I do use almond milk to make a carb free milk shake with no added sugar milkshake syrup, however I don’t like the taste of it in coffee.
Mmm milkshake sounds good. I find driving soya milk is much better than almond in drinks etc that you can actually taste the milk.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I only drink black coffee or sparkling water so no I don't tend to log.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Good wake up call on the coffee and cream issue! I had been drinking my coffee black and then started LCHF and started putting whipping cream (35%) in my four/day coffee and not really measuring or counting....shame on me!! Will go back to black as I am guessing that's why the weight isn't coming off very easily....or at least one of the factors! Thanks/L

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a heads up that I have often had to double check the carbs amounts put into MyFitnessPal as they are not often accurate.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, do be extra careful when using MFP. There are glaring errors and not so glaring errors. Most of the users are only concerned with calories, and many are from our cousins abroad with different food labelling, and different nutrients in the same foods (more added sugar etc)

meandmaboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use longlife unsweetened soya only in tea, tastes a bit like tea with skimmed milk, but its a choice I have made, sometimes son will bring in chilled almond milk, which I can take in coffee (as i normally use coffee creamer ) & have it down to an exact science as I found I was wasting a lot of cream ggrrrrrr & it can be expensive.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Best with mfp when entering a new food is to add net carbs, uk ( for uk users), or the name of a uk supermarket into tthe search bar or else to scan the barcode if the item has one. Mfp is a user generated database and a) users are in many different countries who use diffrent wayys of counting carbs and b) not all users fill in the full data

Reactions: RFSMarch and Incyb

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like MFP but if you are after exact results it isnt 100% accurate. I found if I put in something that was 1.3 g carbs it would round it down to 1g carbs which doesnt dound like much but over a day it could add up

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I put two dessertspoons of double cream in each cup of tea or coffee and count that as half a gram of carb each time. So that adds up usually to about 1.5g carbs daily, out of my allowance of 20g, and worth it, but maybe I am being optimistic in my calculation.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
9700AB09-D652-405C-B8CB-DB7EAD9775DF.jpeg

The one that I use is!