What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Kingmidas

I tend now - learnt from experience- to take emergency snack pot with me when not sure. Things like nuts / high % choc or cheese etc. Usually things that won’t spoil if not eaten while out. You can also buy commercial low carb bars like Adonis that you can stick in your bag.
I oh so nearly grabbed a bag of nuts before I left the house! I'm not being caught out again. Although as I said I'm not diabetic, I'm trying my level best to get into the low carb habit so it'll never get that far. I've already got my liver enzyme readings back down to normal and am hoping for good news when I have my blood sugars done again.

I'm partial to a snack of nuts and find them really filling. I'd passed Holland and Barrett on the way in to the shopping centre and nearly grabbed some nuts to snack on. Next time I definitely will!

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.6 FBG 6.2 which surprised me until I woke to achy bones , headache and stuffy nose. Before long my BGs went zooming up to 9.4. Thankfully they dropped back but I haven't managed to get under 6.2 today. Kept the carbs low.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream, a lot of icy water and paracetamol.
L. 2 rashers back bacon, bit of the wee black pudding, fried egg and a bit Mattesons smoked sausage and yet more icy water.
D. Haven't been hungry after the fry up so had a lo dough toastie with ham, cheese and tomato.
Still have creme brulee (inulin top) last 4 raspberries and yet more icy water. Sore throat gone now.

Occupied today labelling new school clothes. Double dose this year with No 2 starting school. Stick on labels are a waste of time and I'm the only one mad enough (and with the patience) to sew them on. Believe me they don't come off again. All done and everything folded, packed and ready to transport along the road tomorrow. Early night all round tomorrow night.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow @Goonergal. I can't really visualise the actual portions but I instinctively imagine that food list as a light snack. Granted, I am 2.5 stones heavier based on your signature but I am full of admiration for anyone able to thrive on that level of food. It certainly makes me reassess my bg targets. I salute you for thriving on that intake.

I don’t think I’ll starve. Having added in 15g almond butter since posting and including 3 cups of tea with double cream, my app informs me that calorie intake is 1,790 and carbs 17.3g - both at the upper limit before I start putting on weight. I honestly think that so many years of carb intolerance, insulin resistance and a very unhealthy relationship with food (I don’t think an hba1c of 108 developed overnight) have taken their toll, and even though I’ve come a long way in a relatively short space of time, it wouldn’t take much to start sliding back, so am trying to keep on top of things.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend now - learnt from experience- to take emergency snack pot with me when not sure. Things like nuts / high % choc or cheese etc. Usually things that won’t spoil if not eaten while out. You can also buy commercial low carb bars like Adonis that you can stick in your bag.
I do the same @shelley262 and @Kingmidas adonis bar, Adonis brownie or my new favourite PhD smart bar, however I tend to try and limit myself to half at a time of these, small pot of nuts, anything that transports in my bag and won’t spoil.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast - low carb toast and peanut butter. Tea.

Daytime was a bit of a disaster - went out pre holiday shopping and didn't think ahead so found myself surrounded (again) by coffee shop chains full of carbs. I'm not diabetic (only just prediabetic) but felt right out of sorts confronted with all kinds of things I've been trying to avoid because I don't want to DEVELOP type 2.

The least awful thing was a full fat yoghurt granola pot and a hazelnut milk cold brew latte. Must think ahead! Husband doesn't really understand what foods contain carbs (his nutrition knowledge is dreadful generally) and didn't understand why I didn't want crisps, pastries, cookies etc.

Anyway on the way home we stopped at services where ther was an M&S so I bought two packs of chicken pieces and a pack of chilli prawns and scoffed one of each.

Dinner - home made chilli with tiny portion of brown rice, Halo Top and SF jelly. Normal service will resume tomorrow.
It can be such a pain trying to find low carb food. I try to plan ahead but it isnt always possible, I am also veggie so can be even harder to source food. There are times when the family eat and I have a "fast" or order a side salad.
Small packs of nuts are great to carry in your handbag to stave off hunger.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How was the breast of lamb?
Tender so it passed the test thanks. Meat would need some kind of gravy or sauce but the principle has been established. Now we need to refine it. Thanks for the advice and interest,

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How is it Monday already!
B: mixed seeds, cheese
L: Salad leaves, mozzarella, cucumber, pepper
D: courgetti, tofu and mushrooms,

lots of water, black coffee and a square 85% dark chocolate as I donated a pint of my finest blood today

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think I’ll starve. Having added in 15g almond butter since posting and including 3 cups of tea with double cream, my app informs me that calorie intake is 1,790 and carbs 17.3g - both at the upper limit before I start putting on weight. I honestly think that so many years of carb intolerance, insulin resistance and a very unhealthy relationship with food (I don’t think an hba1c of 108 developed overnight) have taken their toll, and even though I’ve come a long way in a relatively short space of time, it wouldn’t take much to start sliding back, so am trying to keep on top of things.
Don't get me wrong it wasn't a dig more an appreciation of your discipline and what it might take me to reduce my bg levels.Perhaps a clumsy thinking out loud. Sorry.
I am in awe of anyone who can eat this way and enjoy it. I can eat to my meter but I despair of ever fully/properly reconciling myself to it never mind liking it.

Last edited:

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to post yesterday so two days worth today.
Sunday The only thing I ate yesterday was a roast dinner at my parents' in the evening. Roast beef, a smidgen of gravy, tenderstem broccoli and a spoonful of peas. Peas not ideal but it didn't seem to affect levels at all, I was the same 2 hours afterwards as I was before, and lower at 3 hours.

Today
B - Jelly and double cream
L - Maasdam cheese and salami. 1 square 90% Lindt
D - Waitrose Fajita chicken strips with yellow peppers, cheese and soured cream.

I'm really tired at the moment and have been sleeping much later than usual, also was a bit sniffy when I woke up. Sugars are reflecting this as were up around 8 all day until dinner time which was 6.9.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Busy day, out at car dealer, then shopping, then back to collect car. Up early. Decided to have breakfast as not sure when I would eat again.

B: Greek FF yougurt, walnuts and seeds, decaff black coffee.
L: deli ham, cream cheese, green olives, babybel cheese, decaff black coffee.
D: Salmon in lemon and parsley cream sauce, runner beans ( I only ate 2 as they were woody), raspberries and cream, mineral water.

Drank lots of water and one more decaff with cream.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold sweet chilli chicken with cauliflower, broccoli and spring onion salad followed by Greek yoghurt and blackberries.
Mid afternoon: raspberry chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: lamb stir fry with hoisin sauce, veggies, no noodles just extra beans sprouts to kid the eye followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

GrumpyOldPhart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI all hope good Mondays had by all. I’ve been beavering away again on recipes - still it keeps my mind off forthcoming cholesterol test on Wednesday am - the nhs one which no doubt will be followed by the statins persuasion discussion. I will be pleased when it’s done and hope this one at least corresponds to,or is lower than, my last lower private test a month ago! Mind you the last one on my nhs records from 3 months ago was 13.8 so hoping they will be impressed - it’s got to be lower than that! So will be early tea tomorrow and 12-14 hours water only fast again. I’m fine about the food but miss my late night black tea and wake up coffee!
Breakfast one slice of bacon and egg
Lunch five lc seeded crispbreads with pate and handful of nuts
Dinner trout in lemon butter and cauliflower cheese followed by one small clafoutis and cream
Have you tried Rooibos Red Bush tea? I read this on
https://blog.bulletproof.com/rooibos-tea-benefits-weight-loss/
yesterday
"Another study over a six-week period showed that drinking six cups of rooibos tea daily significantly increased total polyphenol levels, which improved HDL “good” cholesterol. It also lowered “bad” LDL cholesterol and triglycerides, another lipid found in your blood."
so bought some to give it a go, today: it might help (for next time)!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very late post for me. Busy day, first part of which taken up with grandchildren who have been staying over, then helping my youngest daughter get packed up for her move out of the house in Cornwall and into her new flat in Newquay with her boyfriend.
B: none, but a couple of mugs of tea with almond milk and coffees with creamvthroughout the morning.
L: made fathead pizza for eldest daughter and grandkids but I wasn’t that hungry so had a green salad with smoked mackerel, didnt eat it all.

MAS 1 sq Montezumas Absolute black chocolate

D: v late (11 ish) small amount of blue cheese and cheddar, walnuts and olives. 2 glasses Champagne.

@ianpspurs please let me know how you cooked your rolled breast of lamb in the IP. I have one in the freezer awaiting a good recipe.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't get me wrong it wasn't a dig more an appreciation of your discipline and what it might take me to reduce my bg levels.Perhaps a clumsy thinking out loud. Sorry.
I am in awe of anyone who can eat this way and enjoy it. I can eat to my meter but I despair of ever fully/properly reconciling myself to it never mind liking it.

No dig inferred at all and no need to apologise. Likewise hope my reply didn’t come across as anything other than informative (internet not helpful for conveying tone!)

I feel lucky that I do enjoy this way of eating. It suits me - I like plain, simple food and can’t be doing with superfluous ingredients or overly strong flavours. Now that I’ve given up the main carbs, for the most part I don’t miss them: on Saturday tucking in to my bunless burger in Shake Shack, I wondered why I’d ever thought that I even needed the bun and fries as I was completely full.

On the fasting front, it’s actually liberated me - prior to Keto and fasting (and associated disappearance of migraines), I was completely hamstrung by the ‘need’ to eat and obsessed with ensuring I wouldn’t be delayed in getting my next meal. Now, some would argue I’ve replaced one obsession with another, but this one feels so much healthier and allows me to do so much more.

I really hope you can figure out your eating so you feel the same way - you’re such a source of humour, support and good advice on here.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No dig inferred at all and no need to apologise. Likewise hope my reply didn’t come across as anything other than informative (internet not helpful for conveying tone!)

I feel lucky that I do enjoy this way of eating. It suits me - I like plain, simple food and can’t be doing with superfluous ingredients or overly strong flavours. Now that I’ve given up the main carbs, for the most part I don’t miss them: on Saturday tucking in to my bunless burger in Shake Shack, I wondered why I’d ever thought that I even needed the bun and fries as I was completely full.

On the fasting front, it’s actually liberated me - prior to Keto and fasting (and associated disappearance of migraines), I was completely hamstrung by the ‘need’ to eat and obsessed with ensuring I wouldn’t be delayed in getting my next meal. Now, some would argue I’ve replaced one obsession with another, but this one feels so much healthier and allows me to do so much more.

I really hope you can figure out your eating so you feel the same way - you’re such a source of humour, support and good advice on here.
Thank for the friendly reply and I am really happy that you have found your sweet spot with eating this way.
In general I think we are on the same page re relatively simple food. My biggest struggle is not with the obvious forms of carbs e.g. potatoes, rice, pasta, bread but vegetables and fruit. I always ate huge amounts of those but since looking at carbs I have massively reduced the range and amount of them. (I would by choice easily blow 20 gms carb on green veg at most meals and instinctively feel uneasy that I no longer do this). Clearly this works for weight loss but I don't see the numbers showing it as very efficient for bg control and I think it gives a real roller coaster ride of energy. I seem to have lost my way around April/May with the fasting OMAD adventures. Must stick to Healey's law of holes.
PS: Read this yesterday and seemed to link to the rissoles posts and in my mind why lots of us are here
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/13/britain-food-world-recipes @shelley262 and her mum's comment about the way we used to eat.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very late post for me. Busy day, first part of which taken up with grandchildren who have been staying over, then helping my youngest daughter get packed up for her move out of the house in Cornwall and into her new flat in Newquay with her boyfriend.
B: none, but a couple of mugs of tea with almond milk and coffees with creamvthroughout the morning.
L: made fathead pizza for eldest daughter and grandkids but I wasn’t that hungry so had a green salad with smoked mackerel, didnt eat it all.

MAS 1 sq Montezumas Absolute black chocolate

D: v late (11 ish) small amount of blue cheese and cheddar, walnuts and olives. 2 glasses Champagne.

@ianpspurs please let me know how you cooked your rolled breast of lamb in the IP. I have one in the freezer awaiting a good recipe.
@DJC3 The lamb breast was just cooked in double the water as advised in the link I shared, Next time we would use stock and herbs - our goto there is Waitrose frozen Italian mixture but YMMV. It was a success as in tender and cooked from frozen. Also a good one to try first as so cheap if it had gone wrong it wouldn't have mattered.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 The lamb breast was just cooked in double the water as advised in the link I shared, Next time we would use stock and herbs - out goto their is Waitrose frozen Italian mixture but YMMV. It was a success as in tender and cooked from frozen. Also a good one to try first as so cheap if it had gone wrong it wouldn't have mattered.

Ah thanks - somehow missed the link when scrolling through.
I think my breast will be too big to cover with liquid ( ooh! Matron!) so I’ll probably have to defrost it first.
Did the fat render down? I usually cook this sort of joint long and slow and worried if I did it in The IP I ‘d end up with a lump of boiled fat.

Saved @DCUKMod recipe for shoulder of lamb to use also.

YMMV? Sorry I’m rubbish at acronyms

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah thanks - somehow missed the link when scrolling through.
I think my breast will be too big to cover with liquid ( ooh! Matron!) so I’ll probably have to defrost it first.
Did the fat render down? I usually cook this sort of joint long and slow and worried if I did it in The IP I ‘d end up with a lump of boiled fat.

Saved @DCUKMod recipe for shoulder of lamb to use also.

YMMV? Sorry I’m rubbish at acronyms
Mrs P says the fat was gone into the water so with other liquid it would make a very nice gravy/stock whatever. As for the acronym your mileage may vary - aka we all have different opinions and tastes. Mine are very quotidian.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
B. Seeded mini-flat bread filled with cream cheese, smoked salmon and capers. Black tea, black coffee.
L. Tub of M and S cauliflower and chickpea harissa salad. 2 slices of smoked cheese.
Walked for an hour.
Snack. Croissant (how did that happen?) In cafe and black tea. Nuts.
D. New recipe out of Times. Hot smoked salmon, avocado and grapefruit salad. Lots of green leaves, lightly pickled onion and radishes, toasted seeds and I put in half a grapefruit only. Delicious!! Blueberries and Greek yoghurt.