Taking things a step at a time

Lucy.B

It might sound odd but it still doesn’t feel real to me. I was diagnosed Type 1 on 19th November. I don’t think I’ve processed how I feel, I’m not angry, I’m not sad, I’m just going through the motions.

I’m also not used to speaking to people on line I don’t use Facebook etc and so also getting used to how this forum works too.

I wanted to connect with some people who would understand how I feel. I didn’t think you could be diagnosed Type 1 at my age, I always thought it started in childhood.

At first it felt like information overload but have been taking things in and keeping up with the injections and glucose monitoring. Although I’m not eating at the same time every day yet.

Any beginners advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello Lucy and welcome to the forum.

I am T2 and not on insulin so my experiences are slightly different to yours but there will soon be a waggon load of people (perhaps in the morning) to offer you their advice and support regarding T1.

Have a wander around the forum and ask as many questions as you like.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
At first it felt like information overload but have been taking things in and keeping up with the injections and glucose monitoring. Although I’m not eating at the same time every day yet.

There is a lot to learn but in some ways you have more freedom than the T2s on here - you can replace the insulin your body is not producing whereas they can't process carbs correctly so are stuck with going low carb and possibly medicating to keep their blood sugars normal. There are a lot of T1s here who've been leading normal lives for 50 years or more, and the technology is there to make the condition much more treatable than when I was diagnosed pre glucometers.

Yes, I used to think only under 30s got T1, but it seems that this is no longer the case. (I suspect that they just used to misdiagnose a lot of older T1s as T2).

Long term, you'll be able to adjust your insulin and the times you take it to mean that you don't have to eat at the same time every day, and you'll be able to adjust your insulin so that you can eat different amounts of carbs. Short term, they're probably still working out how much insulin you need combined with the fact that you're probably still in honeymoon phase, and still producing some insulin.

So don't panic, you've got plenty of time to work out how it all works, T1 diabetes control is definitely a marathon not a sprint, and you don't have to get it right all the time. There are very few activities that T1 prevents (I assume you aren't planning to go on an upcoming manned Mars mission, because I think that's out :)).

Short term, make sure you know about hypos (low blood sugar), and if you don't live alone, make sure your house mates also know about hypos. I always told my work colleagues about them, too, but you may or may not want to do that. Make sure you always have glucose tablets or equivalent with you, and always do a blood test before starting to drive a car. (Driving when hypo is a recipe for killing yourself and anyone unlucky enough to share the road with you.)

That's it for now, don't want to overwhelm you, but I'm sure that some other T1s will be along soon.

Good luck, and welcome to the forums.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome on board Lucy
.when l was diagnosed 25 years ago I read many books on diabetes and I almost got depressed.this forum
Has been Godsend and I have learned more here than any book can tell you.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome to the forum - there is a lot to take in and learn, just do what you can - there's way too much to absorb at once. Definitely a marathon, this Type 1 malarkey.

But, yes, Type 1 is not restricted to children... I've just created a poster on that very matter for a display board at work which was perpetuating that myth, for the most part, with one tiny sentence grudgingly admitting "you can develop Type 1 as an adult."

@daisy1 gives some useful information for new members, and hopefully, she'll be along when she can to put that post on this thread.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lucy.B ,

Welcome to the forum.

Bite sized chunks.. Take the info in at your own pace. :)
There are a fair few myths regarding this condition. They will get weeded out as you go along. ;)

What insulin/s have been prescribed for you?

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Lucy.B
Hello Lucy and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

K

Knikki

Hello @Lucy.B Welcome to the forum, the club and the wonderful world of T1D.

Not much to add from what the others have said really other than ask questions where it be of your diabetic team or on here because there is usually someone around that can answer or even provide a virtual shoulder to cry on.

Come join us in Type 1'stars R Us thread where it can a bit silly sometimes but there is a wealth of support and knowledge in there, plus how some of long timers handle T1D :)

D

Deleted Account

Welcome @Lucy.B
Welcome to the ever growing band of people disproving the myth that type 1 is diagnosed as a child, Actually, more than half of people with type 1 diabetes are diagnosed over the age of 20.
I was diagnosed in my mid-30s and you have described how I felt at the time "doesn't feel real", "just going through the motions", ...
I was incredibly lucky to get a diabetes nurse (DSN ... you'll learn there are lots of acronyms, abbreviations, vocabulary around diabetes) who told me on day one "diabetes shouldn't stop you doing what you want." And it hasn't.

This forum is brilliant there are some incredibly knowledgeable people onboard with different experiences of diabetes.
As nine out of ten people with diabetes have type 2, you will find a similar balance on the forum. What this means is often advice is skewed towards type 2 treatment. For example, low carb diet seems to work very well with many people with type 2. Some people with type 1 have also chosen to follow that approach. However, it is not necessary for all people with type 1. Many of us manage well without restricting our diet ... and some have done for 30, 40, more years.

The only other thing I will add is there is far more to diabetes.co.uk than the forum. The whole website is an amazing library of information about diabetes such as what to consider when driving, travelling, exercising, ... what does hB1AC mean, how to manage diabetes when you are ill, ...
If you go to the Home page, you can use the Search function or just surf along the menus.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Welcome. Don’t Panic (Douglas Adams). Things will seem a bit daunting to start with, but if the rest of us can work it out you will easily be able to, it just takes time, a bit of limited experimentation and few mistakes and you will be on your way.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi @Lucy.B and welcome to the forum and the T1D club, admittedly not a club we want to be in BUT heyho. Not a lot I can add to what has been said already. Any questions you have, don't hesitate to ask. There is no such thing as a stupid question

Reactions: Bluey1

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Lucy.B I was close to 40 when diagnosed and it came as a great shock as i'd never really been ill in my life, took a while to get my head round it and even now 6 years on I still get surprised.

My top tip is to gain knowledge, with knowledge comes power, it means you more prepared and understand how this condition works, a good book is 'think like a pancreas' written by a type 1. Also get onto any course the NHS offers you, they are very useful.

One day at a time and don't be afraid to ask for support when you need it ;)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. Yes, T1 can come on at any age and many like myself were wrongly diagnosed as T2. Do ask any questions about insulin use, diet etc as there is a vast range of experience on this forum

Lucy.B

Hi @Lucy.B ,

What insulin/s have been prescribed for you?

Thank you so much to all of you, much appreciated and has made a difference, I feel really supported.

I take Levemir when I wake up and at night then NovoRapid when I eat. I don’t understand how it all works because today I had the biggest change in glucose levels that I’ve seen so far. I’ve not been feeling well today (recovering from a chest infection, still on antibiotics), I didn’t sleep well last night so I’m assuming that even how well you sleep can effect your glucose levels.

Juicyj the giraffe made me smile, I like giraffes and thanks for the book recommendation.

Reactions: Juicyj

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you so much to all of you, much appreciated and has made a difference, I feel really supported.

I take Levemir when I wake up and at night then NovoRapid when I eat. I don’t understand how it all works because today I had the biggest change in glucose levels that I’ve seen so far. I’ve not been feeling well today (recovering from a chest infection, still on antibiotics), I didn’t sleep well last night so I’m assuming that even how well you sleep can effect your glucose levels.

Juicyj the giraffe made me smile, I like giraffes and thanks for the book recommendation.

Hi,

I've been diabetic for so long, it becomes second nature... Not to say I don't still screw up from time to time...
Yep, take a look at @Juicyj 's book recomendation. It can be downloaded in Kindle format. (Who needs to wait for a book to drop through the door these days..) :)

Keep asking the Qs. You will get there!

Kailee56

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and Welcome.
Although not on insulin yet, I was diagnosed at 61. A bit of a shock. However, the good part is this site.
You are not alone and there is a lot of support. Just jump in.

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
I don’t understand how it all works because today I had the biggest change in glucose levels that I’ve seen so far.
No one here knows. Food, Excercise, Illness, Mood, Stress, Weather and great big list of other factors all impact our BGL. We are all impacted differently, one D could eat half a pizza and with a few units of insulin will be fine while another D will have BGL rocket and another will get stubbornly high BGL (most of us fit into the this category). Over time your experiences will drive your understanding. What works for someone here may not work for you. Feel free once you have clearance from your medical team to try suggestions from people, but carefully, using the Pizza example try a small slice to start with, don’t demolish a family size as your first attempt. Be ware of so called cures (I ahven’t seen them on this forum). You need insulin, but the amount will vary from day to day, however your medical team may keep you on set amounts for a while. We somehow over time work it out, however we all get the odd surprise every so often. There is a rumour that Juicyj has a long neck and a blue tongue...

Reactions: Lucy.B

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed 18 months ago at 43! Still not sure it's really sunk in....

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Don't read into everything too much. Absolutely do not read anything the main stream media claims to know about diabetes. Take one day at a time. Take one issue at a time. Your levels won't all fall into place overnight. Work with your nurse and your Doctor and balance one, then work on the other. It isn't a race. Remember we all began where you are. And we are always here.