What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ps @maglil55 I made the Baileys last night. First ‘sip’ tonight - cant wait!
I'm going to make my 3rd bottle tomorrow. I only have 2 servings left in the current bottle but it lasted longer than the first!
I could do with one right now having been in lost property again and come out empty handed. No 2 meantime is the only one in school without a Christmas jumper today. Losing his new jumper in 1 hour is quite frankly ridiculous. This is a daily occurrence with him. I'm told him if he can't come out with all his clothes either keep them on or put them straight into his bag. He's not alone but as I say it's a daily occurrence and like everything else he just won't listen.

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked after my niece for about a week, when she was 8 or 9. Even I had a sojourn into the lost property walk in cupboard. You could have clothed a small community from what was in there! I was just looking for one pair of shoes at the time.

The scholl had a policy of outdoor and indoor shoes, and my niece had a policy of coming home in her indoor shoes.

There were words, because I was not going back in there. Once was once too often in my life for that experience.

No wonder I was never a parent. :)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I looked after my niece for about a week, when she was 8 or 9. Even I had a sojourn into the lost property walk in cupboard. You could have clothed a small community from what was in there! I was just looking for one pair of shoes at the time.

The scholl had a policy of outdoor and indoor shoes, and my niece had a policy of coming home in her indoor shoes.

There were words, because I was not going back in there. Once was once too often in my life for that experience.

No wonder I was never a parent. :)
Been there - more than once!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Been there - more than once!

[shudder ]

Maglil - I was pondering this morning (apropos nothing) if you had tried a Bailey's (or the like) Creme Brulee of Panna Cotta. I'm assuming the panna cotta would work simply as it's setting agent is gelatine, but wondered about the brulee - especially as it could be set alight, if more spirit was added at an appropriate time.

I don't do puddings, so where did that come from?

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[shudder ]

Maglil - I was pondering this morning (apropos nothing) if you had tried a Bailey's (or the like) Creme Brulee of Panna Cotta. I'm assuming the panna cotta would work simply as it's setting agent is gelatine, but wondered about the brulee - especially as it could be set alight, if more spirit was added at an appropriate time.

I don't do puddings, so where did that come from?
I do my creme brulee in the Instant pot but there should be a way to low carb Bailey fy them. As you say it's a case of watching the alcohol.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DCUKMod

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate you all!

I have actually, for the first time in about 25 years, bought some Baileys!!!
All your fault.
Been drooling at your posts about Baileys for weeks.

Admittedly it is only the small bottle (half a litre) and it is the chocolate one, not the ordinary, or the coffee. AND I remembered to check the caffeine content first. But I still can't believe I bought it.
The Bailey's website has the Original version at something like 20g carbs/100ml. which is much lower than I was expecting.
So I am guesstimating that my half bottle of 500ml has approx 100g carbs in it. To spread out into however many glasses I can manage.
:D

It has been a weird few days, with odd food, because of Freezer diving, Mr B's shifts, and me realising that I am coming up to the one year anniversary of this carnivore lark.

Can't believe it has been a year!
Also can't believe that I have been unable to reintroduce veg fibre for a whole bloomin' year!!!
The actual anniversary falls (I think) on Boxing Day, but I know that I was needing to eat mainly carni for a week or two before that, on account of gut issues. Xmas Dinner was steak and a miniscule salad. The fried onions were a BIG mistake ;)

So, anyway, my intention is to Carni through Xmas, and then once all the festivities are over, I am going to try re-introducing very small portions of low fibre veg (not sure what yet), one veg portion a day, and see what happens.

Recent eating has been:
Lamb burgers, oomi noodles in cheese and cream sauce, pulled pork (instant pot style) and a rather regrettable family sized bag of maltesers. Not sure how that happened. o_O

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate you all!

All your fault.
I keep reading everyone making their own baileys and have thought should I give it a go. But I only ever have one small glass Xmas eve (it’s my own little tradition) and so for the sake of one glass I couldn’t be bothered so glad I’m not the only one who has succumbed to a small bottle of the ‘real’ stuff :)

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello from frozen Yorkshire, minus 4 at 10am..............

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Bresaola, salmon and cream cheese roulade, lc herby crackers, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives. Strawberries, cream and lc chocolate granola. Montezuma's chocolate.
Dinners - Home made chicken, leek and mushroom in a creamy sauce, sprouts, carrots, green beans.

Decided to visit the hell hole that is Morrison's two weeks before Christmas this morning. Full of very, rude single minded idiots pushing each other out of the way for boxes of Matchmakers. I only wanted a few things I couldn't get a Lidl including the Rowntrees hot chocolate favoured by @ianpspurs . Can't believe the carb count either and looking forward to trying it.
Lidl was much more civilised and was even 'rescued' by a fellow shopper when my stupid defective trolley wheel locked tight and wouldn't go forwards! And the poor guy had a crutch and was of the mature persuasion but obviously felt he couldn't leave me stranded (and cursing).:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Lainlainylain

Hi everyone, bit of a rushed morning getting shopping done and had pork scratchings and almonds for brunch...felt a bit yuck after that so had a massive salad with sardines for early dinner...

Ordered 250 codefree strips, finished the Christmas shopping, bought a little trampoline to get my bum off the sofa...quite good fun and seems to engage a lot of muscles bouncing trying to keep upright :happy:

Really want some Baileys and chocolate brownies!

Have a cosy evening

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello from frozen Yorkshire, minus 4 at 10am..............

Breakfast - Hi-lo toast and butter
Lunch - Bresaola, salmon and cream cheese roulade, lc herby crackers, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives. Strawberries, cream and lc chocolate granola. Montezuma's chocolate.
Dinners - Home made chicken, leek and mushroom in a creamy sauce, sprouts, carrots, green beans.

Decided to visit the hell hole that is Morrison's two weeks before Christmas this morning. Full of very, rude single minded idiots pushing each other out of the way for boxes of Matchmakers. I only wanted a few things I couldn't get a Lidl including the Rowntrees hot chocolate favoured by @ianpspurs . Can't believe the carb count either and looking forward to trying it.
Lidl was much more civilised and was even 'rescued' by a fellow shopper when my stupid defective trolley wheel locked tight and wouldn't go forwards! And the poor guy had a crutch and was of the mature persuasion but obviously felt he couldn't leave me stranded (and cursing).:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I think the Lidl cocoa is one of the lowest in carbs around so good call there. Ive found Lidl customers to be a friendly bunch too.

Reactions: ziggy_w

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone, bit of a rushed morning getting shopping done and had pork scratchings and almonds for brunch...felt a bit yuck after that so had a massive salad with sardines for early dinner...

Ordered 250 codefree strips, finished the Christmas shopping, bought a little trampoline to get my bum off the sofa...quite good fun and seems to engage a lot of muscles bouncing trying to keep upright :happy:

Have a cosy evening

Trampolining sounds fun - good idea. I’ve got an exercise bike but I get really bored on it.

Reactions: Lainlainylain

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate you all!

All your fault.

Admittedly it is only the small bottle (half a litre) and it is the chocolate one, not the ordinary, or the coffee. AND I remembered to check the caffeine content first. But I still can't believe I bought it.
The Bailey's website has the Original version at something like 20g carbs/100ml. which is much lower than I was expecting.
So I am guesstimating that my half bottle of 500ml has approx 100g carbs in it. To spread out into however many glasses I can manage.
:D

It has been a weird few days, with odd food, because of Freezer diving, Mr B's shifts, and me realising that I am coming up to the one year anniversary of this carnivore lark.

Can't believe it has been a year!
Also can't believe that I have been unable to reintroduce veg fibre for a whole bloomin' year!!!
The actual anniversary falls (I think) on Boxing Day, but I know that I was needing to eat mainly carni for a week or two before that, on account of gut issues. Xmas Dinner was steak and a miniscule salad. The fried onions were a BIG mistake ;)

So, anyway, my intention is to Carni through Xmas, and then once all the festivities are over, I am going to try re-introducing very small portions of low fibre veg (not sure what yet), one veg portion a day, and see what happens.

Recent eating has been:
Lamb burgers, oomi noodles in cheese and cream sauce, pulled pork (instant pot style) and a rather regrettable family sized bag of maltesers. Not sure how that happened. o_O

Wow! I can’t imagine a week without veg let alone a year. I guess the consequences were enough to keep your mind focussed though. Good luck with your post Christmas trial.
As for Maltesers, my mouth is watering at the thought - I could (and did )scoff my way through a family size bag easily. Don’t dare have them in the house these days though.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think the Lidl cocoa is one of the lowest in carbs around so good call there. Ive found Lidl customers to be a friendly bunch too.
I think you right.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the site, when I worked in town and went into Marks and Spencer's I rarely came out without someone pushing me to one side or barging into me. Never get that in Aldi or Lidl! That's the only reason I never shop in Harrods food hall!:D

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: Warm water and couple slices of lime (we didn’t have lemons); 30 mins exercise bike - seems to work for flattening morning rise
Dockey : Tea after being diagnosed as a sapient nincompoop- a condition I apparently share with D J Trump Esq
Lunch : Hot chocolate: 2 tsps Rowntrees cocoa, almond milk and cream; 2 babybels grandson didn’t want; really felt very wrong to be eating or drinking when an innocent 4 month old baby girl was left in the care of myself and her 6 year old brother - genuinely too scared to eat; only thing going through my head was “what has she ever done to deserve this?”
Afternoon: See above; time just stood still but she was brilliant; rocked her to sleep, few noises but slept until relief arrived around 5 - then it was tea (drink) time
Evening meal: 3 slices of cold pork; halloumi chips; mushrooms; reduced sugar and salt tomato ketchup
Verdict - Food was functional i.e. probably needed some; today was all about MIL getting her replaced knee checked on and grandchildren staying safe and warm - mission accomplished.
@Tori71 I rather like that cocoa which is amazing considering I really didn't like cocoa before DX; @DJC3 I would be interested in Lidl version but based on where the Lidl stores are hereabouts it will need something major for me to venture there and I already bought 2 of their geese.

Last edited:

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Have a cosy evening

I'm trying out the Brownie recipe tomorrow posted by @Goonergal. I'll let you know how it goes. It's low carb so could satisfy your craving! I'm not making the topping as it's not something I'm keen on, but I can provide 'feed'back on the rest....groan!!

ps. Glad everything is going well for you

That's a brownie cake not a cake made of Brownies (small girls)!!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Much more normal BG today.

@Tori71 as @DJC3 says the Lidl cocoa is the lowest carb found to date - 8.7g/100g - and pretty cheap too.

Today’s menu was late lunch at Nando’s - invited by some of the youngsters in our department (they are all less than half my age!). Plain chicken leg and 3 plain wings. @Brunneria still enjoying your wing eating technique. Dessert once back at home of a piece of cream cheese brownie and extra thick double cream.

Dinner was Waitrose cote de boeuf (delicious) with garlic butter.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
40732130-CF8E-42C0-8E6D-B2797905685D.jpeg
Hi all hope good day had by all as well as being Christmas jumper today it was also low carb cheese scone day - and wow they were wonderful highly recommended - used following recipe thank you @PenguinMum
https://itwontdiabeatus.com/savoury-cheese-scones/
Did make some changes though I added to recipe ( in addition to ingredients listed)
30g of psyllium husk
Extra teaspoon of baking powder
Extra 50g of grated cheese
Extra egg
Extra 20g of melted butter
Extra psyllium husk to roll out scone mix
Increase meant managed 8 scones
Cooked for 20mins not 15 mins
Will rewrite recipe when get chance these will be keepers all family enjoyed and four left for tomorrow. Mum has already requested that I make another batch for her to freeze for going home after holidays! She said and I agreed that could use like a roll too and put filling in for a change.
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg
Lunch lc veggie soup and cheese scone yum!
Dinner salmon cooked in lemon butter served with hollandaise sauce and celeriac and swede parmentier with glass white wine followed by sf jelly and cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 30017 Hi all hope good day had by all as well as being Christmas jumper today it was also low carb cheese scone day - and wow they were wonderful highly recommended - used following recipe thank you @PenguinMum
https://itwontdiabeatus.com/savoury-cheese-scones/
Did make some changes though I added to recipe ( in addition to ingredients listed)
30g of psyllium husk
Extra teaspoon of baking powder
Extra 50g of grated cheese
Extra egg
Extra 20g of melted butter
Extra psyllium husk to roll out scone mix
Increase meant managed 8 scones
Cooked for 20mins not 15 mins
Will rewrite recipe when get chance these will be keepers all family enjoyed and four left for tomorrow. Mum has already requested that I make another batch for her to freeze for going home after holidays! She said and I agreed that could use like a roll too and put filling in for a change.
Breakfast one slice bacon and egg
Lunch lc veggie soup and cheese scone yum!
Dinner salmon cooked in lemon butter served with hollandaise sauce and celeriac and swede parmentier with glass white wine followed by sf jelly and cream.

The scones do look good.