What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Paging @Bluetit1802 re the bloods and HbA1c. Also @Mbaker There are some previous threads but having difficulty locating.
Hi @ianpspurs the numbers are good Mr. I had mIne done yesterday and guess what...identical to yours. No matter what numbers I get my A1c does not reflect this (apart from using A1CNow+)

Your trigs are excellent. Tommorow I will have fbg between 4.0 and 4.5 and pp around 5.5, but my official HbA1c will continue as is. I am going to relax and keep doing what I am doing without worrying.

Screenshot_20181218-181417_Patient Access.jpg

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening All. Has a busy day with last of present wrapping and cards in the post. @ianpspurs you should be proud of your diabetic achievements. You are very much keeping on top of it all no matter how you judge it. I know you are not always happy with your readings but hey you really are fine. Hugs and more hugs of the well done type. Should have mine by the end of the wedk. Everything xxd!
@geefull any chance of directing me to the tiramisu recipe please? I havent had a dessert in a year except for a couple of squares of Lindt 90%.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening All. Has a busy day with last of present wrapping and cards in the post. @ianpspurs you should be proud of your diabetic achievements. You are very much keeping on top of it all no matter how you judge it. I know you are not always happy with your readings but hey you really are fine. Hugs and more hugs of the well done type. Should have mine by the end of the wedk. Everything xxd!
@geefull any chance of directing me to the tiramisu recipe please? I havent had a dessert in a year except for a couple of squares of Lindt 90%.
Good luck for Friday. X

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @PenguinMum. Hope all goes well for you and you have an "exit strategy" from any unwelcome steering from whoever delivers your results. Mine came online so I will steer conversation with DN to where I want it to go - not at all typical for me.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs the numbers are good Mr. I had mIne done yesterday and guess what...identical to yours. No matter what numbers I get my A1c does not reflect this (apart from using A1CNow+)

Your trigs are excellent. Tommorow I will have fbg between 4.0 and 4.5 and pp around 5.5, but my official HbA1c will continue as is. I am going to relax and keep doing what I am doing without worrying.

View attachment 30114
Thanks and absolutely keep doing as you are. You always seem very on point to me and have given me loads of guidance once I adjust it to my reduced physical capacity.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs

Just to add to my post a few posts above this. I have just noticed you mentioned haematocrits and mean cell volumes etc. My haematocrits are just above the standard range as is my mean corpuscle haemoglobin (MCH). I have often wondered if these are the reasons for my elevated HbA1c but have never found any evidence. If you come across any, please let me know!
I have definitely read an article which backs up that theory and essentially that is what I think is going on in my case. My theory is the combination of Metformin and Naproxen is causing the problem. Not really over enthusiastic about operations but I think I am having my pud pulled over the back issues.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I’m still catching up here, thanks to @Goonergal for quoting your post I’ve been searching unsuccessfully for it.
Your results look good, I’m really pleased your lipids have improved. I can understand the ‘meh’ business re HbA1c as your finger prick results are quite a lot lower than this. I don’t know enough haematology to advise on your questions I’m afraid, but I can see why you’d want to ask them.
Hope you can figure it out and get some peace of mind.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I’m still catching up here, thanks to @Goonergal for quoting your post I’ve been searching unsuccessfully for it.
Your results look good, I’m really pleased your lipids have improved. I can understand the ‘meh’ business re HbA1c as your finger prick results are quite a lot lower than this. I don’t know enough haematology to advise on your questions I’m afraid, but I can see why you’d want to ask them.
Hope you can figure it out and get some peace of mind.
Thanks @DJC3. Those numbers will do and I think there are some non dietary tweaks I can work on plus summer always seems better for me - I really dislike autumn and winter. Now, get the chimney sorted and stop chatting to mad old men on t'internet :angelic:

Reactions: DJC3 and Cumberland

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Thanks and absolutely keep doing as you are. You always seem very on point to me and have given me loads of guidance once I adjust it to my reduced physical capacity.
I will, I took a look at my other results which are interesting. My LDL has gone up a point to 3.48, HDL up to 2.37 so my ratio is 2.52 : 1 (above 4 is so called higher risk). My trigs are the lowest they have been at 0.28. More importantly for me my Kidney function moved from 63 to 62, this is what I care about the most, especially as I have done high protein for the last 5 months, so overall I am happy-ish that I can do Keto with more meat and fish. But I will pull back on the nuts a bit and flax meal mug bread, which should reduce omega 6.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bit late posting today as fully engrossed in sorting hubby's Christmas presie. All sorted and sent off to the north pole!

6.4 today. And my little bit of chat won't be as little as it should be but you know me :) I expected my BS to be in the 6s as i was out for a meal last night, so I'm not in the slightest bit surprised. The diabetic group Xmas night out. Which was full of surprises! Ive only been to one meeting, Octobers. Novembers i couldnt make as it was my wedding anniversary. And Decembers was in actual fact last nights meal. We met at a really lovely restaurant that is renown for a cracking carvery. About 20 of us. And on a Monday its BOGOF. So 2 for £8! Everyone is really friendly. Some partners were there. My hubby was invited. He is a great mixer and before long we were chatting with everyone and anyone whilst perusing the menu. I got excited. Halloumi fries in the starters section. I'm in! I plumped for the carvery. The safe option. I will tell you a bit about the food first.and what was eaten. Most had starters. Many had prawn cocktail. This came with 2 slices of crusty white bread on the side. I wondered if this might be left to one side. Indeed not. Well, it is xmas. Everyone went for the carvery option. Now I'm not one to watch what others eat. Well i should rephrase that. I never used to be! Til dx. I couldnt help but notice everyones plates were full.... to capacity. 2 yorkshires in many cases and enough roasties/potatoes to sink a battleship. Lots of veg, stuffing, gravy etc. Then dessert options. A few went for the caramel ice cream (large). Others the xmas pudding with custard. I was full. No cheese board anyway so i wouldnt have bothered. I would normally love to see people enjoying their food. And bye God they were. But I felt really really sad. At this point i had mingled and chatted with quite a few of the group around and about me. Diabetes came up as you would expect. No they dont monitor their BS. Even the insulin dependent ones 'not that often'. Told not to bother. Their diabetes has been progressive. Many taking 2 or more meds just for diabetes. Others saying they 'rattle' with the amount of tablets they take. Do you know your hba1c I asked a couple but they didn't. They just put their lives in the hands of the medical team. Apart from 3 of those there (myself included) all were extremely over weight. No doubt over weight due to the insulin! And they eat what they like, apart from cutting back on 'sugar'. I brought up carbs being sugar. The 2 ladies in on this conversation had no clue how much sugar was in bread, pasta, pots, rice. They have been diabetic for many years. Probably never been on a DESMOND course. I told her i dont eat those high carb foods, or extremely rarely. One of the ladies reacted with a shocked expression 'what, you dont eat any of those things, what DO you eat'. I said mainly eggs for breaky. Another horrified look. The lady was warned off eggs due to cholestrol being high. She doesn't touch them for that reason. I could go on. It was the exact opposite of the diabetic dining experience I thoroughly enjoyed in September in Birmingham which made me very happy and very proud to be a part of a group of such focused individuals taking back control of.l their health. These poor people still put their faith and health in the NHS who ate letting them down and in fact slowly killing them.

The organiser who has been t2d for over 15 years who says hers is 'progressive' has asked me to talk about my journey at the next meeting in January. I was looking forward to it. Kind of thinking about structuring it like a training session until some of the kind forum members advised me against this. Rightly so. Gently does it. It's going to be extremely challenging! I want to be as helpful in my 30-40 minutes as possible. But after last night I can see what I'm upnagainst. They are all so lovely and have been through so much on their journey (the lady opposite me is registered blind, she has liver problems due to tablets she took in 2008 which she thinks gave her t2d). She is so very tiny now and in very poor health. She hasn't been out since July. She was so enjoying her food and the chats. My heart felt so heavy. Wanting to help and offer guidance on controlling BS and helping them feel better, yet knowing I'm going to be going into what they really should not be eating to regain health. This particular lady was 76, lives on her own and is frail looking too. I'm going to talk about my journey (@xfieldok is on board, we will do it as a team which i think will work really well). Going to hand out leaflets with useful info on. Not sure exactly what useful info at this point but @Rachox your fab BS leaflet will be one of the handouts! If one person gets something out of it it will be worth out. And the word might spread.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I brought up carbs being sugar. The 2 ladies in on this conversation had no clue how much sugar was in bread, pasta, pots, rice. They have been diabetic for many years.

'what, you don't eat any of those things, what DO you eat'. I said mainly eggs for breaky. Another horrified look. The lady was warned off eggs due to cholesterol being high.

Kind of thinking about structuring it like a training session until some of the kind forum members advised me against this. Rightly so. Gently does it. It's going to be extremely challenging! I want to be as helpful in my 30-40 minutes as possible. But after last night I can see what I'm up against.

I'd say that was typical of the majority of people debra.

certainly was me re carbs before diagnosis.

Not forgetting people know what they KNOW..until told otherwise.

You, me forum members have invested time in our health..you think others would as well, but sadly i saw similar on my desmonds course...i'm ok..this is fine..i've got tablets for it..

That's why the move towards more HCP understanding this is an INDIVIDUAL illness, where other options should be presented, as beneficial not as witchcraft., will be so important.

the old ways is always a stumbling block, no one likes change, but once it becomes more widely accepted, the proof and proving will make it unstoppable.

Your in the trenches debra, so the hard work is all ahead of you.

btw, wise heads on the forum
i'd say training is for those who NEED to know something.

to get there i'd say Your guys first WANT to know something,

Your task, as i see it is to engage, interest and THEN educate .a tall order, but with your can do attitude & enthusiasm, you'll make a good fist of it..

But Don't be too disappointed, i'd say a take up rate of 1-2 people SHOULD be classed as a success