What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone. It’s a bright sunny morning at present, here in the dark and dangerous north.
A sequential scooby with my Libra this morning, just for fun, gave a 5.8 at 0720, 5.5 0735 and 5.2 at 0745 - a downward trend - Liver is still asleep but that won’t last - wonder if I can sneak a slice of cake? No, best let sleeping livers lie.
On a serious note, trying to make predictions based upon past data is always dodgy. The universe is unpredictable at the best of times and a prick of the finger frozen in time is not, in itself, a predictor of much of anything really. I have no idea apart from a sneaky, carby, treat will be punished with a big spike of nastieness.

Welcome to the thread @RichardHawkings - good luck with your HbA1c.
Monster virtual hugs to those who have lost pets.
Have a great day if you can, grab some sunbathing if you can’t.

PS; a 6.2 at 0756 - good morning liver.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. First test in 3 months found a 5.3 - hardly worth the effort/expense for strips or time. Just part of a trend that will show lab tests say your meter/testing regime is wrong. Personally. I am just as well weighing frequently, looking at resting pulse and where past trends have ended up. Other people will and do find testing far more useful so don't use me as an example. On the plus side, 3 months off testing and managing that way has made no difference for me but I don't advocate that for anyone else.

I know you haven’t gone off the rails these last 3 months and have been monitoring other parameters but it’s good to know you’re still doing well.

Reactions: HarryBeau

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know you haven’t gone off the rails these last 3 months and have been monitoring other parameters but it’s good to know you’re still doing well.
Let's be clear folks. The bg is not, IMHO, " doing well." If this WOE was all it is cracked up to be those numbers would reflect it. IMHO, so far, they are little better than chance effect. The weight today at BMI 22 and body fat around 17.5% biggest factor in my mind. You have a good idea of what I eat from other posts - any diet that reduced calories that low should work AFAIC. Thanks anyhow and you know very well that I am totally sceptical about this WOE and the actual drivers of it - utterly unconvinced they have my best interests at heart.
Now, all Newbies and others, this is only my view and plenty on here are well able to attest to the amazing results LCHF has given them so ignore me - I am cynical by nature.

Last edited:

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just scraped in the 5s today with 5.9
Very low carb yesterday plus lots of shifting rubble, tip trips and a weight lifting session (stacks of VERY heavy tiles). Never stopped. Expected lower. Maybe it would have been higher if not for this challenging day! Who knows. I'm actually considering moving to the Tee2 as my confidence in my codefree has wained.

Have a good Monday everyone.

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Let's be clear folks. The bg is not, IMHO, " doing well." If this WOE was all it is cracked up to be those numbers would reflect it. IMHO, so far, they are little better than chance effect. The weight today at BMI 22 and body fat around 17.5% biggest factor in my mind. You have a good idea of what I eat from other posts - any diet that reduced calories that low should work AFAIC. Thanks anyhow and you know very well that I am totally sceptical about this WOE and the actual drivers of it - utterly unconvinced they have my best interests at heart.
Now, all Newbies and others, this is only my view and plenty on here are well able to attest to the amazing results LCHF has given them so ignore me - I am cynical by nature.
Well done on your T2 remission. Those of us still on the journey need a diet, and an LCHF diet is consistent with BG control. Other options don't appeal to me. Horses for courses.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on your T2 remission. Those of us still on the journey need a diet, and an LCHF diet is consistent with BG control. Other options don't appeal to me. Horses for courses.
I agree about horses for courses. Remission is a label I absolutely detest for where I am and refuse to use. I wholeheartedly urge you to stick with LCHF since it works for you. If you look in the what have you eaten thread you will see I effectively do eat this way just personalised and heavily biased towards non meat and diary HF as far as possible.

Last edited:

OrsonKartt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
over selling.... oh so many things are enthusiastically oversold
Morning all. First test in 3 months found a 5.3 - hardly worth the effort/expense for strips or time. Just part of a trend that will show lab tests say your meter/testing regime is wrong. Personally. I am just as well weighing frequently, looking at resting pulse and where past trends have ended up. Other people will and do find testing far more useful so don't use me as an example. On the plus side, 3 months off testing and managing that way has made no difference for me but I don't advocate that for anyone else.
I think to not test for 3 months and then get that sort of fasting number is a result in itself. I've found that when I stay away from the meter my numbers creep

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
7.3 again. Yesterday went out for the day had two cream eclairs and cornish pasty. 2 hours later blood sugar 5.7 before bed 6.3
must be a thing for me morning numbers over 7 . Oh well another day awaits .
Have fun all whatever you do .
Hope it was a proper Cornish pasty not one of those horrible things with the mushy mince filling.:)

Reactions: HarryBeau

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Got up this morning 0800, hot shower, drove to paper shop, back home put bacon and mushrooms on stove to cook, egg at ready. Tested BG at 8.8 oops. Will test FBG tomorrow upon waking.

Hi @True Blue

yep, the body awakens in it's own way :D

i find it suits me to get up make tea, then test, then wee, weight myself then eat.
others i have noted do things differently, ( some test while still in bed :woot:)

I personally find either ok, as long as it's consistent.

BUT i think in all of it, the odd random test (as in yours after walking around ) does no harm, and is a good marker for where you 'Genuinely' are at any point.(bear in mind our BG's will fluctuate throughout the day)

We might boast or cheat on here with under inflated numbers IF we chose to, but our bodies would still reflect the ACTUAL readings no matter what we post, so your being true to yourself, even if it is slightly higher then others,
but as you say, maybe test first thing, daily.

And in the round, your numbers are coming down nicely, i think.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who like Mondays.
A low 4.8 for me this morning.

Well folks, reading through some of the posts it seems blood sugar control seems to follow a non linear pattern more in line with chaos, the obscure mathematical type, which might explain why a few of us just can't achieve stability.
Personally I blame those butterflies in Japan.
I have no idea what today will bring, but I shall be very wary, Mrs J is very quiet which spells trouble.......

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think to not test for 3 months and then get that sort of fasting number is a result in itself. I've found that when I stay away from the meter my numbers creep
Kind of disagree. If what I/we do works it works irrespective of testing so the continuation of testing should only confirm that. You can test a cabbage as often as you like, it is still a cabbage:)

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs I am another who just doesnt understand what you are looking for. A FBG in the 5s is what I desire, sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesnt but I can live with that. The most important thing is we are controlling our Diabetes, isnt it? I know you dont eat a lot and maybe you should eat a bit more when you want to. I dont like you being so dissatisfied with your WOE because you are IMO the backbone of this little community and have lightened my day many times when I needed it.

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @True Blue

yep, the body awakens in it's own way :D

i find it suits me to get up make tea, then test, then wee, weight myself then eat.
others i have noted do things differently, ( some test while still in bed :woot:)

I personally find either ok, as long as it's consistent.

BUT i think in all of it, the odd random test (as in yours after walking around ) does no harm, and is a good marker for where you 'Genuinely' are at any point.(bear in mind our BG's will fluctuate throughout the day)

We might boast or cheat on here with under inflated numbers IF we chose to, but our bodies would still reflect the ACTUAL readings no matter what we post, so your being true to yourself, even if it is slightly higher then others,
but as you say, maybe test first thing, daily.

And in the round, your numbers are coming down nicely, i think.
Thank you. Yes the BG and weight are both falling. I'll have a new HbA1c result soon. Your comments about some of the numbers on this forum noted. Some context would aid understanding, such as the number of insulin units taken by some to get a 5.0. Me? I'm on diet, exercise and 2 x 500mg Metformin SR.each evening, no insulin injected.