What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
13-06-19
breakfast: 40g my own homemade nutty granola with 80ml of semi skimmed milk
toasted sourdough ( 30g actually pulled a small amount off the slice and binned it- would not have fitted in the toaster anyway) with avocado 75g, two mugs of tea
lunch: shopping trip, got hungry so broke a piece of some cheese, approx 40g,
then home. Fed up what the heck! Had a "normal - before diagnosis type lunch" baguette 80g, ham slice, blue cheese and cucumber.
Actually would have had a mandarin orange, not coffee and cream.
Coffee with french cream and 2 x bonne maman chocolate and caramel tartlette. Tartlette are so small can easily eat in one bite. 15g only each. Am admitting to two - don't count how many are left in packet! There are some. Fell asleep at the table. Is this the carb coma have heard so much about? BG after one hourish 11.8 EEEK well of course its high. After two hoursish 11.2 coming down
Dinner: late 8pm.
before dinner BG 6.1
Roasted chicken with caribbean jerk seasoning, few potato, some carrot and cabbage. strawberries and cream ( minute amount, end of pack) . Strawberries bought this morning already some going off, very disappointed with that. MrS had to eat them up, we didnt think any would last til morning.
BG unknown not yet two hours
calories nearly 2k fat 91g, carbs 140g, protein 84g
Calories were looking good until activities were logged, then once again am short by over 400. Fixed it with wine. Not ideal but what the heck? Its been a tough day emotionally.
You try to find meals for me, and MrS with almost diametrically oppposed dietry requirements. He really needs low protein, but I would probably be better with more. As a naturally slim person, I dont store fat. So protein might well be what my body uses. (This is new theory so not certain yet, but nearly a year of high fat and still losing weight, now trying high protein.) He should not have wholemeal anything, that would be better for me. Low Dairy for him, cream in coffee for me. Neither of us should have too many potatoes or tomatoes. He can have cake - not for me. Avocados an absolute NO for him, good for me, although neither of us should eat bananas. Breakfast cereal, not too much milk, or toast,( unless its wholemeal) even with marmalade, good for him Dire for me. Eggs, good for me, not too many for him. Unsalted nuts good for me, not for him. Its driving me mad.
On the other hand BG at 5.5 two hours after meal YIPPEE.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Come to think of it no hind legs on donkeys in our vicinity!
Matching fodmaps and lchf eating is a bit of a pain isn’t it? She’s going back to the smoke today and won’t be moving here permanently until mid Aug, so I’m hoping she’ll have got a better handle on it by then and will have figured out what works for her, then we can try to tackle joint eating plans - even if it means just cooking a much bigger variety of veg so we can all pick and choose.
good luck with matching dietry requirements

Last edited:
Reactions: gennepher and DJC3

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
13-06-19
toasted sourdough ( 30g actually pulled a small amount off the slice and binned it- would not have fitted in the toaster anyway) with avocado 75g, two mugs of tea
then home. Fed up what the heck! Had a "normal - before diagnosis type lunch" baguette 80g, ham slice, blue cheese and cucumber.
Coffee with french cream and 2 x bonne maman chocolate and caramel tartlette. Tartlette are so small can easily eat in one bite. 15g only each. Am admitting to two - don't count how many are left in packet! There are some. Fell asleep at the table. Is this the carb coma have heard so much about? BG after one hourish 11.8 EEEK well of course its high. After two hoursish 11.2 coming down
before dinner BG 6.1
Roasted chicken with caribbean jerk seasoning, few potato, some carrot and cabbage. strawberries and cream ( minute amount, end of pack) . Strawberries bought this morning already some going off, very disappointed with that. MrS had to eat them up, we didnt think any would last til morning.
Calories were looking good until activities were logged, then once again am short by over 400. Fixed it with wine. Not ideal but what the heck? Its been a tough day emotionally.
You try to find meals for me, and MrS with almost diametrically oppposed dietry requirements. He really needs low protein, but I would probably be better with more. As a naturally slim person, I dont store fat. So protein might well be what my body uses. (This is new theory so not certain yet, but nearly a year of high fat and still losing weight, now trying high protein.) He should not have wholemeal anything, that would be better for me. Low Dairy for him, cream in coffee for me. Neither of us should have too many potatoes or tomatoes. He can have cake - not for me. Avocados an absolute NO for him, good for me, although neither of us should eat bananas. Breakfast cereal, not too much milk, or toast,( unless its wholemeal) even with marmalade, good for him Dire for me. Eggs, good for me, not too many for him. Unsalted nuts good for me, not for him. Its driving me mad.
The like is for the 5.5 @ 2 hrs - would have given a hug for the diametrically opposed ideal diets. Think there is a thread in the making on that topic.

Reactions: gennepher

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
13-06-19
before dinner BG 6.1
Is there a medical reason your husband needs those dietary conditions, or are those his preferences?

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The like is for the 5.5 @ 2 hrs - would have given a hug for the diametrically opposed ideal diets. Think there is a thread in the making on that topic.
thank you Ian. MrS has had CKD for some years but apart from reducing salt intake is only now beginning to accept dietry resrictions. OFC I have to give him the bad news, do all the research. Really think the NHS has let us both down. GP has given very little advice on diet to either of us.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Toasted cheese and onion sandwiches.
Dinner: Spicy seafood marinara, reheated pasta spirals.
Breakfast: Cheesy mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugar / sweeteners, water.

Just rang the the PBS Safety Net bell yesterday, I now get free prescription medication for the rest of the year, and my subsidised test strips are now free as well.

Viv19

Bed 6.3 FBG 7.1 - Rain was awful for most of the day. School opened the gym and the dinner hall to get all the kiddies inside. After I almost swam home and got my bag ready for Aqua. We could have just stood outside it was so wet.
B. TAG with ADOC. Quick slice of Tesco high protein bread with Philadelphia pre Aqua.
L. 1/2 avocado with the remains of a prawn cocktail (but I got more this morning).
D. Salmon fillet coated with a mix of mayo, parmesan, paprika and a little tomato puree and oven cooked. This was a Diet Doctor recipe but they do it with chilli paste.
I also mixed up more of that Quick raspberry mousse. Will have some later with a few raspberries.
Great results @Viv19. Well done.

Thanks Maglil

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

Coffee with cream

Two boiled eggs rolled in ham

Went out, but forgot babybels etc and I was out longer than I intended. So I went for a lunch. Best one I could find was...

Trout in hollandaise sauce with new potatoes and vegetables. (The other option had been cod in batter, but I can get that a quarter price from fish and chip shop). However I was searching for the trout on the plate....

Came home over tired.
Had 2 slices beef with some hard cheese and 4 grapes...
But then realised sliced beef was out of date so...
Had another 2 slices beef (to finish it off, tasted ok) a couple more slivers cheese and 3 grapes and a piece of dark chocolate for good measure...

2 more cwc
Water with pinch salt/lemon juice/tonic water in it.

Viv19

Tea
Lunch roast lamb, cauliflower, carrots.
Berries and Greek yoghurt
Tea
Almonds
LC bread, Camembert, ham, baby bel
60 gm strawberries with double cream
Tea
Gin and tonic with frozen lemon slices. Very disappointed. I’ve never bothered to buy slim line tonic. Bought some at Morrison’s- just horrible. Perhaps Schweppes would be better. Anybody know??

Last edited:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@@Tipetoo I didn't know Australia had that scheme. Quite a result.
Bed 6.8 FBG 7 - Friday so lunchtime pick up. Today was Lego Club day as well. They even took the time to pick a couple of books each from the library since we were there for Lego Club. Must admit I'm delighted to see No 1 is so into books and his reading had really benefited. Little brother is trying to be Mr Independent and sound words out but it will take a while. Still he's coming along. Once I got them home I went off and did my shopping so hopefully I'll get a weekend of peace apart from swimming lessons. Ended up with an unintentional OMAD though.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. TAG with ADOC
D. Deli chicken breast, few veggie chips, little lettuce, 1/2 vine tomato, 1/4 avocado (by the time I trimmed it), 4 bits cucumber, dessert spoon coleslaw, Helmans and......joy oh joy......I made another loaf today. It was another of the packs from My Diet Shop. The one that has gluten and yeast in it. I let it prove while I was at Lego Club and the longer proving benefitted it. I love that bread! Spread with lurpack. It's a dark, seeded loaf but I enjoy it so much I've ordered another 5 packs.
Later I'll have more of the raspberry mousse with 4 raspberries.

Viv19

@@Tipetoo I didn't know Australia had that scheme. Quite a result.
Bed 6.8 FBG 7 - Friday so lunchtime pick up. Today was Lego Club day as well. They even took the time to pick a couple of books each from the library since we were there for Lego Club. Must admit I'm delighted to see No 1 is so into books and his reading had really benefited. Little brother is trying to be Mr Independent and sound words out but it will take a while. Still he's coming along. Once I got them home I went off and did my shopping so hopefully I'll get a weekend of peace apart from swimming lessons. Ended up with an unintentional OMAD though.
B. TAG with ADOC
L. TAG with ADOC
D. Deli chicken breast, few veggie chips, little lettuce, 1/2 vine tomato, 1/4 avocado (by the time I trimmed it), 4 bits cucumber, dessert spoon coleslaw, Helmans and......joy oh joy......I made another loaf today. It was another of the packs from My Diet Shop. The one that has gluten and yeast in it. I let it prove while I was at Lego Club and the longer proving benefitted it. I love that bread! Spread with lurpack. It's a dark, seeded loaf but I enjoy it so much I've ordered another 5 packs.
Later I'll have more of the raspberry mousse with 4 raspberries.

Maglil is that the skinny brown bread mix? I would love to have some yeast bread. Perhaps could take some back with me.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Early start up before chickens were ready to leave their coop. B=Tea with cream @ 4.00 am then more tea until 10.00 am. NE1 was 100 gms Sainsbury's Comte, 170 gm tub of Fage 5% and 2 Hartley's 10 cal jellies bought while out. First food for more than 43 hrs. NE2 was an avocado, 3 h/g egg mayo and mucho teao. May eat some kaltbach.
ETA: Did eat some kaltbach - I do find that functional. Didn't think the taste the difference Comte was nearly as functional as the one which earned me a free coffee.

Last edited:

Viv19

Eaten today

Coffee with cream

Two boiled eggs rolled in ham

Went out, but forgot babybels etc and I was out longer than I intended. So I went for a lunch. Best one I could find was...

Trout in hollandaise sauce with new potatoes and vegetables. (The other option had been cod in batter, but I can get that a quarter price from fish and chip shop). However I was searching for the trout on the plate....

Came home over tired.
Had 2 slices beef with some hard cheese and 4 grapes...
But then realised sliced beef was out of date so...
Had another 2 slices beef (to finish it off, tasted ok) a couple more slivers cheese and 3 grapes and a piece of dark chocolate for good measure...

2 more cwc
Water with pinch salt/lemon juice/tonic water in it.

Are you feeling better gennepher? Apart from being tired that is.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: 2 boiled eggs with Marmite soldiers made from 1/2 slice of Burgen Soya and Linseed bread followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: prawn cocktail, cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.