Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Will try tomorrow morning. No squeeze
Unfortunately it’s just something you have to get used to, there’s no sugar coating (pun intended). Making holes in our skin as often as we need to just hurts sometimes - I had a Libre sensor that had obviously hit a nerve and it ached for the whole two weeks. Sometimes my “favourite” testing finger gets really sensitive. Inserting the cannula on my pump last night literally made me yelp. But I’m grateful we even have this stuff - the alternative doesn’t bear thinking about, does it? I’ve nearly died from lack of insulin, and it was so painful I was actually begging for death (or so the intensive care team told me) as my acidic blood was literally eating the cells of my body. I’ve never known pain like it, and that includes a monstrous case of gallstones. You’ll learn to put up with a lot as a type one, but that’s why we become such resilient people. Sending a hug x

@SueJB - looks like those steroids are giving your levels a clobbering, doesn’t it? I’d correct with Novorapid and keep a close eye on things. It’ll wear off in a few days. Promise x

Everything pretty dull in Mel world, couldn’t go out on call as my buddy is unwell so am doing beer and pyjamas :) Elvis TCOB like a boss.

Delticmatt100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tx for that Mel. X
Unfortunately it’s just something you have to get used to, there’s no sugar coating (pun intended). Making holes in our skin as often as we need to just hurts sometimes - I had a Libre sensor that had obviously hit a nerve and it ached for the whole two weeks. Sometimes my “favourite” testing finger gets really sensitive. Inserting the cannula on my pump last night literally made me yelp. But I’m grateful we even have this stuff - the alternative doesn’t bear thinking about, does it? I’ve nearly died from lack of insulin, and it was so painful I was actually begging for death (or so the intensive care team told me) as my acidic blood was literally eating the cells of my body. I’ve never known pain like it, and that includes a monstrous case of gallstones. You’ll learn to put up with a lot as a type one, but that’s why we become such resilient people. Sending a hug x

@SueJB - looks like those steroids are giving your levels a clobbering, doesn’t it? I’d correct with Novorapid and keep a close eye on things. It’ll wear off in a few days. Promise x

Everything pretty dull in Mel world, couldn’t go out on call as my buddy is unwell so am doing beer and pyjamas :) Elvis TCOB like a boss.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather

Insulin is amazing, keeps us alive and makes me fat... that's my excuse @Mel dCP . Don't like being so high for so long and not having pigged out. Thanks for the reply

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Insulin is amazing, keeps us alive and makes me fat... that's my excuse @Mel dCP . Don't like being so high for so long and not having pigged out. Thanks for the reply
It’s keeping me fat too. But better fat than dead, eh? At the height of my diabulimia, I was a size eight but desperately ill and it nearly killed me. I’d rather be fat, healthy and happy like I am now that go back to those dark days. Goodness knows what damage I did. I guess I’ll find out soon enough.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB . Impressive numbers.
Steroids to blame? Most definitely.
It’s days like this that we learn the most.
1. If your levels are in the teens then insulin resistance will kick in. Normal ratios go out the window.
2. A naked burger, no carbs but protein, especially if we’re sitting a tad high will need some novo. ( gluconeogenesis)
3. We now have invaluable data to use tomorrow and in the future.
I know to you the day feels like a let down maybe but look at the positives and they are there.
You will learn so much from today.
AND for what it’s worth, a lot of us have days like this without steroids :)

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
@SueJB . Impressive numbers.
Steroids to blame? Most definitely.
It’s days like this that we learn the most.
1. If your levels are in the teens then insulin resistance will kick in. Normal ratios go out the window.
2. A naked burger, no carbs but protein, especially if we’re sitting a tad high will need some novo. ( gluconeogenesis)
3. We now have invaluable data to use tomorrow and in the future.
I know to you the day feels like a let down maybe but look at the positives and they are there.
You will learn so much from today.
AND for what it’s worth, a lot of us have days like this without steroids :)
Thanks @therower, not a let down, just shocked and I've not been over doing the Novo but I've stuck some more in the tank but BG has actually risen now to 14.1, so I suppose stress/worry is adding to that. Anyway, your words are very positive and make me feel better.
If it doesn't come down over the weekend, I think I'll phone the diabetic registrar. Checked ketones 0.6 so that's OK.
Sigh, a learning curve indeed.... and know that lots of you , as you say have had highs like this without steroids but remember... I'm still a baby:angelic:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Hope the steroid effect stops soon @SueJB! I too would put in some Novo but, again from experience, I wouldn’t expect it to act as it usually does. I remember being amazed how much I needed to get even closer to a decent level but maybe I had more steroids than you. At its worst bloods went up to 26 - ugh - felt dreadful - and I was horrified the doc thought the dose wouldn’t affect a T1.
I’ve just shoved in the Levemir @Delticmatt500 and paid attention to pain. I don’t pinch, just find a new place and jab. I’m so used to it I only notice if it really hurts. Slightly, very slightly, thought a small ouch as the needle went in, no stinging, chilled by Frio.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
It’s keeping me fat too. But better fat than dead, eh? At the height of my diabulimia, I was a size eight but desperately ill and it nearly killed me. I’d rather be fat, healthy and happy like I am now that go back to those dark days. Goodness knows what damage I did. I guess I’ll find out soon enough.
Yeah spot on @Mel dCP better a happy fatty than the other option. I agree, when I was diagnosed I was skeletal and my hair was falling out. Yuk. I moan but really I like living and have so much more to do... not on your scale. I couldn't be a student again. Good luck with that by the way. AND thanks for all your support and everyone else too. It is important. Think I'll have a G&T... low cal of course

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hope the steroid effect stops soon @SueJB! I too would put in some Novo but, again from experience, I wouldn’t expect it to act as it usually does. I remember being amazed how much I needed to get even closer to a decent level but maybe I had more steroids than you. At its worst bloods went up to 26 - ugh - felt dreadful - and I was horrified the doc thought the dose wouldn’t affect a T1.
I’ve just shoved in the Levemir @Delticmatt500 and paid attention to pain. I don’t pinch, just find a new place and jab. I’m so used to it I only notice if it really hurts. Slightly, very slightly, thought a small ouch as the needle went in, no stinging, chilled by Frio.
Thanks @Fairygodmother that's reassuring.The doc didn't say anything when I told him I was T1. It's giving me a cracking headache:banghead:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
but remember... I'm still a baby:angelic:
And that’s why we like you.:):):).
I’ve had a few steroid injections down the years ( shoulders) erratic BS for a few days but I’m still here going strong.
Probably a bit late in the day now but maybe tomorrow if you get chance go for a nice relaxing walk. Always lowers BS.

Reactions: hh1

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I was around 12 until 16 years old, I was a size 14 because of DKA and absolutely hated my body. I was obviously overweight at the time, I think a BMI of 27-28. As time went on I've learnt that "size doesn't mean everything" - a quote by a small yordle in a video game. :hilarious: Because every time I purchase clothes from Urban Outfitters, I have to size up. Buy clothes that fit yourselves so you're not struggling, we don't want trousers and shorts splitting open now, do we? :hilarious:

Reactions: Knikki

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
And that’s why we like you.:):):).
I’ve had a few steroid injections down the years ( shoulders) erratic BS for a few days but I’m still here going strong.
Probably a bit late in the day now but maybe tomorrow if you get chance go for a nice relaxing walk. Always lowers BS.
@therower, thanks again. Do you know, it's the experience you all have that makes what you say so very reassuring and I'm always grateful that anyone replies to my ramblings.

Tomorrow I'm going to be walking but not sure if it'll be relaxing. Going to Blenheim Palace for Countryfile Live. Dogs, horses food, and loads of stuff

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Or wondering if I'm squeezeing my skin too hard pinching the inch as I inject with the shield. Maybe I don't need to pinch. Who else pinches?

Hmm, there might be something to that theory, pinching too much.

Pinch too much, everything in that area is going to be under a lot of pressure and stress, so it might "complain" a lot more when you stick a needle in it.

I still pinch a bit because it was how I was taught and is just a habit now, but it's just a gentle tweak rather than a full on grab.