What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
An Odd day today because I had Em from just after 9 am until 5.30 today - schools are off and Mum had to work. This meant my "meals" have been a bit on the non-existent side. Had a couple of very thin slices of Parma ham and left the rest for Em (she didn't eat it after all, preferring tinned tomato soup and bread). We went to the local shop and bought stuff for "Trick or treaters" at the end of the month and ordered some halloween cutters from Lakeland. Spent the rest of the day making models out of the playdough we bought and out of cardboard. Playdough and cardboard all over the kitchen and nowhere to prepare food. Em had her soup on a tiny clear space at the table.

I still have some of the pork I cooked yesterday, cold in the fridge. I might just slice that up and have it as is. It'll do to fill a space. I sent the rest of the bread and the remaining tomato soup home with Em so that I wouldn't be tempted. Probably need to put something else into the mix to get a few calories in and avoid another hypo tonight. But I must be good tonight because I'm going out tomorrow evening and will probably fall by the wayside to some degree or risk offending my hostess.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shame about the crisps in the office but well done for putting it behind you and moving swiftly on. Out of interest did you feel ok afterwards?

Thanks, yes I was fine - apart from giving myself a hard time. With them being savoury my taste buds don’t object (quite the opposite). Didn’t spike too high either, so no great harm done. Your shawarma sounds good.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Probably not as butch now. I told Julie these were kitchen scissors so I hope she never works out the truth
View attachment 36192

It's a long time since a saw a set of those @ianspurs. I must admit I never used them but we did have lambs and goat kids which had to be castrated so I bought some for my husband. Surprising what a man can do if he has to. He was a bit squeamish at first, but I bet he was happier about it than the lambs and goats! Still, if you want to be a carnivore and want dairy products or even eggs and chicken ...

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all.

Day started and ended well from a LCHF perspective but veered way off course somewhere in the middle.

Breakfast on train a combination of self provided cheese and peperami with train provided bacon and egg.

Veered off course once at work with a few too many Hotel Chocolat Brazil nuts in dark chocolate, some dark chocolate with almonds bought by a colleague and, some potato crisps that had been left in the kitchen. My nemesis! Not sure what brought that on

Lunch of bacon and eggs and then an experiment for dinner. Tried making carnivore pizza in the air fryer. Was a bit crispier than when made in the oven, but the pepperoni dried out a bit (looks drier than it was in the photo). Tasted good, but needs work. Various stages of production in the attached picture.

View attachment 36209

Crisps were often my downfall. Just plain, lightly salted crisps. Fantastic, but very much a no no. I don't even get myself pushed down that aisle in the supermarket any more - not that Neil would let me get them.

Carnivore pizza looks interesting. I've just dug out the airfryer that DIL gave me for Christmas (didn't have space for it before making minor alterations in the kitchen) so I must get around to making some interesting meals in it. Where would you start to ease me into the process?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Crisps were often my downfall. Just plain, lightly salted crisps. Fantastic, but very much a no no. I don't even get myself pushed down that aisle in the supermarket any more - not that Neil would let me get them.

Carnivore pizza looks interesting. I've just dug out the airfryer that DIL gave me for Christmas (didn't have space for it before making minor alterations in the kitchen) so I must get around to making some interesting meals in it. Where would you start to ease me into the process?

I’m a bit of a novice myself - this cooking lark is pretty new to me as I didn’t do a lot of it prior to diagnosis. To date the biggest successes in the air fryer have been chicken wings and lamb ribs. The wings were marinated in butter, garlic and lime juice/zest prior to air frying. Skins go brilliantly quickly. The lamb ribs were marinated in olive oil, garlic and thyme. Both cooked at 200 degrees. Oh, and Halloumi fries - come out lovely and golden, crisp on the outside and soft inside.

The pizza base is made from ground up Awfully Posh pork crackling mixed with melted mozzarella, cheddar and cream cheese. It becomes quite dough like if you mix it well with a spatula. The crust would make a decent bread substitute - just need to figure out how to stop the meat drying out.

Reactions: ziggy_w and Annb

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How to eat the season is difficult now we are in cuffing season so I probably failed today. Just tea for breakfast. Bovril, 2 slices skinny bread toast and a CCB for lunch = 0 rise, quick and easy but ....... Tried a shortbread biscuit which allegedly has 4 gms carb - tasted nice but soo insubstantial. Which brings me to evening meal. Some kind of beef casserole with broccoli and 1 slice skinny bread toast. That menu is a compromise too far. Still, Monday is Only connect and University challenge so the day will end well.

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m a bit of a novice myself - this cooking lark is pretty new to me as I didn’t do a lot of it prior to diagnosis. To date the biggest successes in the air fryer have been chicken wings and lamb ribs. The wings were marinated in butter, garlic and lime juice/zest prior to air frying. Skins go brilliantly quickly. The lamb ribs were marinated in olive oil, garlic and thyme. Both cooked at 200 degrees. Oh, and Halloumi fries - come out lovely and golden, crisp on the outside and soft inside.

The pizza base is made from ground up Awfully Posh pork crackling mixed with melted mozzarella, cheddar and cream cheese. It becomes quite dough like if you mix it well with a spatula. The crust would make a decent bread substitute - just need to figure out how to stop the meat drying out.

I have some chicken wings in the freezer, I'll get them out and try it. I also have some pork ribs. Maybe they would work in a similar way to the lamb. Also have some halloumi waiting around to be noticed. I'll have a go at that too. Then I might move on to something more complicated, like your pizza.

Reactions: ziggy_w and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken, leafy salad and toe orange rapture tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: mushroom and mature cheddar omelette with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Annabell I guess the basics aren’t so different, aubergine, garlic, lemon and tahini. It’s just the different spices. I’ll try your way next time. My hob is electric though so I couldn’t do the charring of the skin like that - sounds like fun though.
Good luck present shopping.

Do you have a blow torch, or gas BBQ? Both are excellent for charring skins (and sometimes inadvertently more!).

Reactions: DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you spray your meat with oil, prior to cooking? I sometimes forget to to that, but to does make a real difference, I find.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have a blow torch, or gas BBQ? Both are excellent for charring skins (and sometimes inadvertently more!).

Aha! I do have a blow torch - never used. I asked for it last Christmas when there was a bit of chat going on re creme brûlée but then I stopped bothering with puddings much.
I will dig it out and have a go, although I have a terrible track record for burning myself.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you spray your meat with oil, prior to cooking? I sometimes forget to to that, but to does make a real difference, I find.

I’ve usually just taken it out of an oil marinade, or there is still butter stuck to it from marinating in that, so don’t add more, just make sure there’s a good coating. When I tried the pork, that hadn’t been marinated and dried out, so think the oil/fat is an important step.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have some chicken wings in the freezer, I'll get them out and try it. I also have some pork ribs. Maybe they would work in a similar way to the lamb. Also have some halloumi waiting around to be noticed. I'll have a go at that too. Then I might move on to something more complicated, like your pizza.

I never cared for chicken wings before the AF. They always seemed like a "what's the point" food, but the crispy skin is stunning.

Adding to @Goonergal 's list, I'd add, salmon (although that does need to be oiled to begin with, or it can go dry, Moo Grob, which is crispy, crispy belly pork pieces, and from the weekend, duck breast. The fat rendering was astonishing

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aha! I do have a blow torch - never used. I asked for it last Christmas when there was a bit of chat going on re creme brûlée but then I stopped bothering with puddings much.
I will dig it out and have a go, although I have a terrible track record for burning myself.

Be very, very careful not to scorch kitchen surfaces. Our stainless steel prep bench is great for such things.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
14-10-19
@ianpspurs MrSlim has been allowed to drive a tv remote, a computer mouse ( better make the distinction) and now the kettle. Atm he is aware of the need to rest and recover. In a week or two, when he is feeling better, but not completely recovered will be the testing time.
Feeling a bit rubbish this morning, very disturbed night probably at least partly to blame. Mice upstairs in hob nailed boots. Something else to deal with. Dark and wet weather not helpful. Room was too hot as well. You can't just turn down a woodburner once it gets going.
breakfast: nut granola and tea,
coffee
lunch: scrambled egg and smoked salmon on Pain Kapnor toast, tea.
tea, 2 squares 85% chocolate
dinner: Had planned to turn some of yesterdays batch cook into mousakka, or lasagne, but ended up serving it with pasta, frozen plat beans, ( not very good) and a few peas. Dusted it with grated italian cheese.
Made some LC pancakes afterwards, they looked very nice, bit eggy though. Thank you @maglil55 for the recipe link. MrSlim had vanilla icecream, I had greek yoghurt, we both sprinkled with raspberry crumb.
more tea.
Mouse noises in the kitchen, led to an investigation, found one in the trap under the oven phoooh!!! Trap rebaited and placed somewhere more accessible this time.
We had the most tremendous thunderstorm this afternoon. Dont think I have ever heard thunder like it. Lightning flashing almost in time with the windscreen wipers and thunder that just kept going for about 15 mins.