What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
107000674_10221274495086248_2294643350179110409_n.jpg

Cauliflower cheese with onions and mushrooms, very tasty. I was going to make a salad as well but was too lazy.
I made the cheese sauce with flour, but at 2 tbsp in a dish for 4 days it should account for 3 or 4 gr of carbs a meal, I'm fine with that :)

Oh, and that thing blocking the view on my plate? A puff pastry sausage roll, nothing low carb about that, except the size, making it 7 grams of carbs for a pretty ridiculous food.

The thing is, this week our Lidl sells 'saucijzenbroodjes' with the sausage made from crickets and I just had to try! According to the package the filling is 40% cricket.
Didn't taste bad either, and I absolutely loved this little bit of puff pastry :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 I used to love sausage rolls. Suspect the ones I used to eat would taste pretty horrid to me now, but would be intrigued to try a cricket sausage. Wonder if Lidl here have them.

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I used to love sausage rolls. Suspect the ones I used to eat would taste pretty horrid to me now, but would be intrigued to try a cricket sausage. Wonder if Lidl here have them.
I don't think so. Those puff pastry rolls are a very Dutch thing, I think, and they've made them as close to those regular 'saucijzenbroodjes' as they could.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Greek yoghurt with 2 strawberries
Then an hours dancing
Then made 2 mistakes, went food shopping when hungry and took hubby!!
An expensive trip
L. Ham, olives, small avocado and 1 Polish curd cheese cake thing. Told myself it would be too sweet and I would give half to hubby. Wrong on both accounts. At least it was small so only 10g carbs
D. Chicken leg with the first green beans from the garden. I glass red wine

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
@annabell1, that looks fabulous. Also, you've reminded me that I must make some ghee - haven't done it before, but the supermarkets seem not to be stocking it at the moment, so I'll have to.
it is easy to make i can write up a quick method or you can google the process. nothing beats frying eggs cooked in ghee.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
bacon and eggs with sourdough toast 2 x black coffees
dinner had some of my left over tandoori chicken and cauliflower rice
breakfast wallaby oat free porridge made with toasted almond meal with full fat milk 2 x black coffees
A/T apple
dinner has not been planned but still have some left over tandoori chicken so might heat that up.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Lunch scrambled eggs with smoked salmon followed by four squares of Godiva 90% choc, couldn’t stick at two as intended - probably good that I’ve not seen it available locally as it’s way too moreish! Think need to stick to the 100% stuff I can buy as I’m never tempted to have more than two squares because of the relative bitterness - this one is smooth and sweet in comparison.
Dinner pesto coated chicken with salads and celeriac chips with glass of dry white wine followed by a few berries from garden with spoon of sf jelly and Greek yoghurt.
There’s no way I’m buying it then: if you can’t stop at 2 squares I know I’ll carry on until it’s all gone. Thanks for the warning.

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
There’s no way I’m buying it then: if you can’t stop at 2 squares I know I’ll carry on until it’s all gone. Thanks for the warning.

I'm not a big fan of chocolate - there's always something wrong with it (bit like Goldilocks) - its either too sweet, too bitter, don't like the texture, don't like the aftertaste, don't like the affect on BGs - but I do enjoy the Godiva 90%. I break it up in to two square portions then freeze it. I eat it from frozen (it lasts longer that way) and two squares doesn't affect my BG at all.

Yorkshire water have the mains water turned off at the moment (don't know why). About 20 houses are without water and its been off since I woke up. My day always starts with a shower so I'm all discombobulated!! Luckily we've got plenty of bottled water for drinks and for the dogs. I put some sparkling water in their bowl and Millie loved it, she was stood at the water bowl for ages with her tongue hanging out in the water - I think she was enjoying the bubbles on her tongue. :p

Today....

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup (lemon sherbet)
Lunch: bit of cheese (Dolce Gorgonzola)
Dinner: if it stops raining it will be wilted chard with pesto and halloumi, if it doesn't stop raining it will be halloumi, fried eggs, grilled tomato and mushrooms again

This week I'm trying to get the carbs right down to reduce my BGs but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. FBG this morning was 8.0. :(

Edited for choc error

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I put some sparkling water in their bowl and Millie loved it, she was stood at the water bowl for ages with her tongue hanging out in the water
:hilarious::happy:
I suppose from now on there will be extra sparkling water on your shopping list to please the dogs :D

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 6.8 - not bad for me.
Had 40 units insulin and a few pieces of raclette (0 carb supposedly) cheese for breakfast - BG at 2 hours 14.7! I really thought raclette was pretty safe in BG terms, although not in calorie terms. Wrong again. A bit fed up about that.

Later, I will have to use the little carton of cassoulet that I took out of the freezer for yesterday, so I'm not expecting my BG to drop very far today.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
:hilarious::happy:
I suppose from now on there will be extra sparkling water on your shopping list to please the dogs :D

Not a chance - the water is back on now so rather than drink the nice clean tap water in her bowl, she's gone out in the garden to drink from puddles.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
if it stops raining it will be wilted chard with pesto and halloumi, if it doesn't stop raining it will be halloumi, fried eggs, grilled tomato and mushrooms again

Presumably because some of the former comes from your garden?

So far I have had a bunless bacon burger from Five Guys with grilled onions. Ordered click and collect and picked the wrong burger - meant to have a bacon cheeseburger! Wondered why it was cheaper than normal :hilarious: but figured it was because I’m not in London. Was allowed to eat in too, first sit down ‘restaurant’ meal since lockdown. As I’d forgotten the cheese, ate a small pack of Serious Pig snacking cheese instead. Followed up with a pack of 3 Hotel Chocolat 85% batons. Much more sensible portion size for those lacking in self-control.

Dinner looks like being take out from Nando’s.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm not a big fan of chocolate - there's always something wrong with it (bit like Goldilocks) - its either too sweet, too bitter, don't like the texture, don't like the aftertaste, don't like the affect on BGs - but I do enjoy the Godiva 99%. I break it up in to two square portions then freeze it. I eat it from frozen (it lasts longer that way) and two squares doesn't affect my BG at all.

Yorkshire water have the mains water turned off at the moment (don't know why). About 20 houses are without water and its been off since I woke up. My day always starts with a shower so I'm all discombobulated!! Luckily we've got plenty of bottled water for drinks and for the dogs. I put some sparkling water in their bowl and Millie loved it, she was stood at the water bowl for ages with her tongue hanging out in the water - I think she was enjoying the bubbles on her tongue. :p

Today....

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup (lemon sherbet)
Lunch: bit of cheese (Dolce Gorgonzola)
Dinner: if it stops raining it will be wilted chard with pesto and halloumi, if it doesn't stop raining it will be halloumi, fried eggs, grilled tomato and mushrooms again

This week I'm trying to get the carbs right down to reduce my BGs but it doesn't seem to be working at the moment. FBG this morning was 8.0. :(
Presumably because some of the former comes from your garden?

So far I have had a bunless bacon burger from Five Guys with grilled onions. Ordered click and collect and picked the wrong burger - meant to have a bacon cheeseburger! Wondered why it was cheaper than normal :hilarious: but figured it was because I’m not in London. Was allowed to eat in too, first sit down ‘restaurant’ meal since lockdown. As I’d forgotten the cheese, ate a small pack of Serious Pig snacking cheese instead. Followed up with a pack of 3 Hotel Chocolat 85% batons. Much more sensible portion size for those lacking in self-control.

Dinner looks like being take out from Nando’s.

Yes, the chard - which is loving this rain - just can't eat it quickly enough.

I think I'm going to have to reproduce your five guys burger meal....

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Newsflash*. Celeriac chips are a real revelation. Had the first last evening and they were wonderful. It was so nice to have a lazy dinner of chicken & chips. Thank you so much @shelley262. The seasoning was key. Halloumi chips otoh food ofvthe devil imo.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - usual full fat greek yoghurt with blueberries and strawberries, drizzled with double cream. Cup of earl grey tea with double cream.

Dinner - Salmon with mozzarella, tomato and pesto smothered in hollandaise sauce. One square of 90% dark lindtt chocolate with peanut butter on top - another cup of earl grey with double cream.

@Goonergal - Your diet sounds like my kind of food - five guys (fab) and what do you get from Nandos (I am just looking for ideas) and totally agree about portion size ... when it's gone it's gone .... (I think that's sometimes what I forget, although I have to say my portion size is A LOT less than what it used to be!)

Heading out for my daily walk - hopefully the rain will stay off until I get back.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal - Your diet sounds like my kind of food - five guys (fab) and what do you get from Nandos

Normally I get a couple of plain legs, sometimes with grilled Halloumi. However now it’s click and collect or delivery only there’s no way to specify whether you want legs or breasts when ordering quarter chickens, so I’m sticking to ordering wings.

Enjoy your walk. It’s still spitting here but I’m about to head for a short jaunt to check out a restaurant I’m hoping to visit with a friend on Saturday. Allegedly it’s open, but want to check.

Reactions: Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normally I get a couple of plain legs, sometimes with grilled Halloumi. However now it’s click and collect or delivery only there’s no way to specify whether you want legs or breasts when ordering quarter chickens, so I’m sticking to ordering wings.

Enjoy your walk. It’s still spitting here but I’m about to head for a short jaunt to check out a restaurant I’m hoping to visit with a friend on Saturday. Allegedly it’s open, but want to check.
Great new idea for me - I would never have thought of having chicken with cheese - I will give it a try - many thanks :happy:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon, All

Interesting Pass The Buck day.

B: bovril, collagen powder and a lc hot choc.
L: a drive through Maccies Quarter Pounder with cheese and no bun or fries. It was all Mr B's fault, since I wanted to get a coffee for him on the way back from Mutt No 1's chiro appt, and it just seemed rude not to have a burger and share it with No1. Then I came home and had some prawn cocktail, because I can tell you that 4 oz (pre-cooked weight) of burger, shared with a dog, is my no means large enough to be called 'lunch'.
D: will be lamb shoulder, reheated, with brinjal pickle.

And then there was the chocolate. This time it was my line manager's fault. She rang just as I was tucking into my rationed portion of Lindt 70%, but then (unfortunately) we got chatting, and the chat turned to work stuff, then family stuff, then ancient history of work stuff, and then we rang off, and it turned out that during the convo I had eaten the entire bar of choc without noticing. So now the caffeine will keep me awake... hey ho. S'wot happens when you take yer eye off the ball.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Afternoon, All

Interesting Pass The Buck day.

B: bovril, collagen powder and a lc hot choc.
L: a drive through Maccies Quarter Pounder with cheese and no bun or fries. It was all Mr B's fault, since I wanted to get a coffee for him on the way back from Mutt No 1's chiro appt, and it just seemed rude not to have a burger and share it with No1. Then I came home and had some prawn cocktail, because I can tell you that 4 oz (pre-cooked weight) of burger, shared with a dog, is my no means large enough to be called 'lunch'.
D: will be lamb shoulder, reheated, with brinjal pickle.

And then there was the chocolate. This time it was my line manager's fault. She rang just as I was tucking into my rationed portion of Lindt 70%, but then (unfortunately) we got chatting, and the chat turned to work stuff, then family stuff, then ancient history of work stuff, and then we rang off, and it turned out that during the convo I had eaten the entire bar of choc without noticing. So now the caffeine will keep me awake... hey ho. S'wot happens when you take yer eye off the ball.

Funny and hug all in one! What brand of collagen powder do you use, and am I right in thinking you also use bone broth powder? Would you mind sharing the links? Thanks.