What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have made a version of this.
I just used onion and tinned tomatoes and stock as a base, then added cream and sugar til it tasted like Heinz.
The amount of sugar needed was, frankly, horrific!
That was way back before I was cutting carbs as I do now.

Nowadays I wouldn't want so much sweetness, or I would use erythritol, if I was feeding normal ppl.

But unfortunately, if you want a near authentic Heinz cream of tom taste, then you would have to go for the high sweetness.

This is the official ingredient list, taken from a supermarket website
  • Tomatoes (89%),
  • Water,
  • Modified Cornflour,
  • Sugar,
  • Rapeseed Oil,
  • Dried Skimmed Milk,
  • Salt,
  • Cream (Milk),
  • Milk Proteins,
  • Acidity Regulator - Citric Acid,
  • Spice Extracts,
  • Herb Extract
Might not be as difficult as I thought. Cornflour could be subbed by Xanthan Gum or oat fibre if needed. I'd tend to use Monk Fruit for sweetness.
No milk though - cream more than sufficient.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@shelley262- sounds like a wonderful time. Ahh, spiders. I want one of these things that look like pastry brushes on a long stick. Thank you for reminding me breeding season isn't too far away. @annabell1 - you are definitely entitled not to like them the spiders you have! I sat transfixed by a huntsman on the outside of SIL window as I wanted to be sure where it was. Yes, I know it's one of the harmless ones but something the size of your hand?
Tuesday - B. TAG and a slice of skinny bread toasted with pate.
L. Nothing.
D. GF port sausage, fried egg and veggie chips. 4 strawberries and a scoop of Halo top strawberry cheesecake.

Bed was 7.8 FBG 8.2.

Reactions: Annb and Chook

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like both these,
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/hearty-soups/tomato-apple-and-celery-cream-soup
https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes...o-soup-with-puree-of-basil-and-olive-croutons
Both these Delia recipes can be easily adapted to low carb. In the first halve the amount of apple and add double cream after blending. It's quite a rich tasting soup, like Heinz but more grown up. You dont need a lot and it freezes well.
In the second either leave out or halve the potato and add double cream at the end. Always worth roasting tomatoes before adding to soup, increase flavour and sweetness without increasing carbs.
Enjoy!

Reactions: maglil55

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Yoghurt with seeds and 1 tablespoon unsweetened rhubarb :yuck:
L. Tuna microwave 'bread' with olives
D. Chipolata, cabbage and bean stew. First time in ages for beans. Bg is ok (yay!) but feel so full

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

B: Bovril and collagen, lc hot choc
L: baked salmon in horseradish cream
D: chicken in wine, tarragon and dijon mustard followed by a lc brownie and cream

seems like a heck of a lot! But the portions weren’t huge, and I did take Mutt3 for a good long scamper after work. Well, she scampered, I scooted. But we both had fun. Actually, since I started taking her out to run beside the scooter, she seems to have promoted me to goddess status. The joy of running beside me seems to have lit her up with joy, and she lives in anticipation of her next scoot with me. Mutts1&2 are enjoying the peace too. She has less spare energy to use to bounce on them...

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
- Coffee with milk.
- Low carb cracker with butter and gorgonzola (lots).
- Same as yesterday (father's pasta sauce/moussaka/pizza hybrid) reheated in the microwave. There's enough left for another day but I'll need some crossed fingers to go with it tomorrow as I'd forgotten to put it in the fridge. It has a pork and beef minced meat mixture and it has sat in my kitchen for 24 hours at 16 to 20 degrees. With a bit of luck I'll be fine though :)
- Two beers.
- Midnight snack will likely be pork scratchings (Aldi), nuts and/or chocolate. Possibly all three.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday - had the boys most of the day. Bed 8.9 FBG 8.3. Still got high BGs but, today I actually felt normal for the first time in ages. Couldn't believe it - normal! Peaceful day with the boys too.
B. TAG and a slice of LC toast with pate.
L. Nothing
D. Salt & chilli ribs with avocado & tomato. 2 bits of Lidl 85%. Even had a wee prosecco!

Today - Thursday bed 7.9 FBG 8.1
I didn't feel totally normal today but not bad. Slightly achy limbs but really not bad. I got all my ironing done plus a bit more.
B. TAG.
L. Slice of hilo toasted with german sausage and coleslaw.
D. Air fried chicken wings with avocado & tomato salad and coleslaw. 2 squares of Lidl 85%.

Can't stop thinking about spider breeding season now.
Anyone heard any more about how @Tipetoo is doing?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 glad you enjoyed your wee break away - it sounded like good fun!

Brunch - greek yoghurt with berries and double cream. Cup of early grey with double cream.

Dinner - salmon with mozzarella and pesto covered with hollandaise sauce with an egg and prawn side salad. SF orange jelly and double cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Behind again and not just due to spider story avoidance! Had a very hungry and decadent eating day yesterday using up fridge contents before a Morrison’s delivery. Amazingly BG stayed basically flat all day.

Breakfast - ravenous and only later remembered that I’d last eaten a tiny dinner 17 hours earlier, so not so surprising. Omelette made with 2 large eggs and 2 chopped rashers streaky bacon. Still hungry so made a carnivore pizza (base ground bag of Awfully Posh pork crackling, grated mozzarella/cheddar and cream cheese), topped with chorizo and pepperoni.

Dinner was 2 thin pork belly slices cubed, salted and air fried followed by another carni pizza!

Morrison’s order arrived early with the only substitution being one type of loo roll for another. Freezer Tetris extreme followed!

@shelley262 that’s a lot of chocolate! Your holiday sounds wonderful.
@maglil55 glad you’re feeling better

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Today I went out to see my podiatrist and after quickly popped into aldi hoping to buy some toilet paper not actually needed but like aldi's TP and hardly go there but was near my appointment location so thought grab some but it's all gone so grabbed a few things also then went to another shopping center as there is a place that sells fresh fresh so brought two fillets of barramundi so will have one for dinner tonight and freeze the other for another meal later then left as I had a someone popping over to give me a quote for my kitchen as soon as I drove home the kitchen man was 30 minutes early his father wrote 3pm not 3.30pm lol lucky good timing though. But he was such an excellent person who was very patient listening to my ideas plud understanding that I wasn't 100% sure what I actually wanted but knew I needed a new kitchen. He gave me ideas as well listened to me. Not like my last kitchen quote who was arrogant and only wanted what he wanted. Anyone whilst talking to him I felt shaky it was nearly 4pm by now and realising I hadn't eaten anything since 11:30 this morning and my BSL was 6 mmol/L than. My brunch was paleo granola with coco quench and black coffee when tested at 4ish my BSL was 3.7 mmol/L so appologise to the guy and said need to eat something feeling shaky my bsl is a bit low so grabbed three strawberries and also had two glucose tablets started to feel a bit better than when he left 20 minutes later tested my BSL it was 4.6 mmol/L so I will cook dinner soon. Then picked up my phone and noticed a message from my sister apparently mum was taken to hospital last night due to a blockage in her stoma and was given tests and eventually she got discharge after they gave he fluids and was allowed home very early this morning. My mum suffers also from dimentia and is so stubborn she apparently has been unwell with pain for a few days and finally listened to my two sisters to get an ambulance to get her to hospital. I'm so thankful for my sisters who look after my mum they do so much for her and is a lot for them I wish I could do more for them. Sorry I guess this post was letting me just wrote how I feel more than what I've eaten so appologise for my waffle but needed to get it off my chest. Thank you for reading my very long post. I will get back to my food list soon and read other posts soon please take care everyone x

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Slept in my own bed last night - not very well though. Gave up at 4 am and came through to the kitchen again. BG was 5.8. The new insulin seems to be having an effect. And I'm taking much less of it than the old Lantus. All to the good.

Just made a quesadia with 2 thin chaffles (added milk to make it runny). Quite filling.

Shan't need lunch but will have a meal later of corned beef and some salad veg.

This afternoon I have go to town to pick up my repaired dental plate - glad about that, my gums are feeling very sore and swelling a bit - and I have to pick up my order from the butcher. Quite glad to have a reason to cover my mouth so no-one can see my gap toothed smile.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all I’m back from an amazing few days in Wales. Good to be away for a bit and we had a very warm welcome to Wales and amazing weather - hols included picnics in mountains, two sea swims, seeing dolphins playing, a cliff top hike, a visit to a capability brown nt gardens/ Park and castle and a catch up with OHs brother and partner plus best ever cottage and great stop overs at borders towns including the books capital Hay on Wye and some black and white villages on way over and back! Really best hols ever and I count myself as very very lucky.
Will read posts later - just wanted to quickly log so back to it! I also got distracted by tag from @Goonergal on forum highlighting montezumas sale and ended up buying more 100% choc plus a few gifts for family birthdays to spend enough to get free delivery!
Over past 5 days I stayed broadly low carb but ate more generously plus took some DGF goodies with me
Breakfasts all days except today bacon and egg - no brekkie today
Lunches mainly salads with ham and cheese in picnic boxes but today a brunch of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs
Dinners chicken or lamb or steak or pork with variety of salads followed by DGF puddings with cream followed by decaff coffee and some 100% choc - peppermint oil version ( sadly a new delicious variety not in their sale!)
A few afternoons also had coffee and DGF millionaires shortbread- can’t tell you how nice it tasted with flask of coffee after a swim whilst sat on a wall watching dolphins play in the sun in New Quay in Wales! Paradise. also had Bombay Sapphire gin with soda ( it was our Sapphire anniversary) and prossecco over the hols.
My DGF stocks are now depleted so made a fresh order- well my 65th birthday is coming up soon !

Glad to hear that you had such a good time in Wales. It's a lovely country AND a chance to stop off in Hay on Wye. Did you buy any books? I would probably have gone home with a car full of them.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Monthly toiletries and household products shopping done this morning in Home Bargains - there wasn't any organised queuing and not much in the way of social distancing but everyone was wearing a mask.

Popped in to the M&S Foodhall where, weirdly, they are insisting that everyone has to have a trolley to ensure social distancing. So there was me and Mr C with a trolley each just buying him one pack of kippers. :rolleyes:

Came home to find the road outside my house being dug up. Lovely! Absolutely no advance notice of it.

Breakfast: boiled eggs and buttered Hilo bread soldiers
Lunch: probably not
Dinner: Mr C is making one of his curry feasts. Bombay celeriac, aubergine curry, chard (in place of spinach) and paneer, French bean curry, a lentil Dahl and a spicy chaffle in place of a naan - the spicy chaffle is an experiment. Raspberries for pudding

Red wine will definitely be consumed.:)

The chard, french beans, any tomatoes he uses and the raspberries are home grown. Hopefully he will also think of something to do with the many courgettes that are ready for eating right now before they turn in to marrows.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Ooo, ooo, oooo can we do spider stories.....please.....please :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Today:
B - Bowl of Honey Nut Shredded Wheat and whole milk
L - Sausage sarnies (4 rounds of bread), Crunchie, packet cheese and onion crisps, a dozen grapes. AND pork pie with egg in the middle - can not remember what they are called -----old age and forgetfulness come together :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Bloods have been between 5 on waking to 6.4 now. Pretty level

Last edited:
Reactions: Annb

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad to hear that you had such a good time in Wales. It's a lovely country AND a chance to stop off in Hay on Wye. Did you buy any books? I would probably have gone home with a car full of them.
We got a lot of books from Hay I’m a reading addict so it’s one of my fave places.

Reactions: DJC3 and Annb

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
@shelley262 your holiday sounds lovely, I too like Wales. So many nice places to holiday in the UK no need to get on a plane!
Breakfast today was Usual slice HiLo toast butter and lots of tea.
Was making a chicken curry at 0600 for tonight’s supper.
Had same lunch as Mr PM which was a cheese roll. Just needed it. Bet I’ll pay for it one way or another.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ooo, ooo, oooo can we do spider stories.....please.....please :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Today:
B - Bowl of Honey Nut Shredded Wheat and whole milk
L - Sausage sarnies (4 rounds of bread), Crunchie, packet cheese and onion crisps, a dozen grapes. AND pork pie with egg in the middle - can not remember what they are called -----old age and forgetfulness come together :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Bloods have been between 5 on waking to 6.4 now. Pretty level

Not sure I can see too much relating to low carb eating in your post, @porl69 . I reckon by lunch, you're up at about 230-240gr carb?

Let's all be mindful the content we post is appropriate to the sub-forum and the thread itself.

Thanks.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Have found these 2 products useful.
Black bean spaghetti (noodles). 2.7g carb per quarter of the box. I have been using these in Asian style dishes. They are delicious and look quite cheffy. £1.70 from Aldi in UK
Veggie Cakes. Made with pea and lentil protein and 4.7g carb per cake. Smell a bit funny but very tasty topped with cream cheese and some pesto or cream cheese, smoked salmon and capers. £2.50 in Sainsbury.
Nice to have something different.

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_1636394_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20200724_1636394_rewind.jpg
    672.2 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Reactions: DJC3