P:E dieting

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 and/or @muzza3 is egg white powder among any of the products you’re using? Am considering getting some and would appreciate a recommendation if you’re using it. Thanks!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 and/or @muzza3 is egg white powder among any of the products you’re using? Am considering getting some and would appreciate a recommendation if you’re using it. Thanks!
@Goonergal I searched everywhere for free range egg white powder and I just couldn't find any. So in the end I decided to eat more of the organic free range eggs I get from Aldi. I vowed sometime ago never to eat an egg from a caged chicken. It is a shame because egg white powder is such a good source of protein.

Reactions: Brunneria

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I searched everywhere for free range egg white powder and I just couldn't find any. So in the end I decided to eat more of the organic free range eggs I get from Aldi. I vowed sometime ago never to eat an egg from a caged chicken. It is a shame because egg white powder is such a good source of protein.

Thanks. I’ll let you know if I track any down.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
Hi @Goonergal
No not using it myself but is freely available in Aust. As you know not much of a cook myself but if I was so would consider it as it would certainly add protein in many recipes

Reactions: Goonergal

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
194g protein today! Haven’t been tracking macros, but finding myself still hungry after an early dinner, ran what I’d eaten through a spreadsheet and discovered a great PE ratio - 1.6 - but only a little over 1,000 calories so decided that hunger was possible! Pork belly pieces to the rescue :D

Earlier I’d had 10% mince with onions and eggs, one leftover chicken wing and some smoked salmon.

maybecrazy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm been doing the P:E diet for 6 weeks now and it's working well for me.

I'm using body composition scales to track progress, I know they are not considered accurate but never the less I've been using the same scales since T2 diagnoses in 2016 and they have been pretty consistent.

Just before starting P:E
weight 88.7kg
BMI 26.5
fat 22.6%
Muscle 33.9%
Visceral fat 11

6 weeks after starting P:E
weight 86.3kg
BMI 25.8
fat 15.3%
Muscle 37.8%
Visceral fat 8

I've never been able to get visceral fat below 11 - 12.

Also I've had to pull in my belt 2 holes!

I'm by no means low fat but I've drastically reduce fat by cutting back mainly on dairy (used to get through 3 x 300ml extra thick cream a week) and upped lean protein.
Also the lashings of butter I used to eat I've reduced to just a knob here and there and choosing leaner cuts of meat.
Also taken up exercise and walking again after a recent new hip.

@Goonergal How on earth have you managed to eat 194g of protein today? Do you count the actual protein content of the food you eat or are you counting the the actual weight of the food you eat? I'm a bloke and struggle to eat that amount of protein, I eat around 130 - 140g per day and that's with the help of liquid egg whites and chocolate flavoured whey whipped up into a delicious thick shake.

I used to think like many in keto land that fat could be freely eaten with no consequences but imo Ted Naiman has nailed it, after reading his book and watching several Youtube videos where he is questioned by various keto peers and it seems many in keto land are coming around to the same way of thinking.

I no longer worry either about being permanently in ketosis not that I check much these days, as TN has mentioned somewhere it can be advantageous to be metabolically flexible.

If Diet Doctor are moving this way says it all to me.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal How on earth have you managed to eat 194g of protein today? Do you count the actual protein content of the food you eat or are you counting the the actual weight of the food you eat?

It’s the grams of protein in the food, not the weight of the food!

Not a normal day but am 98% carnivore, so just about everything I eat contains a high level of protein. It was a rare day where I had 3 meals. Normally it’s two, sometimes 1.

Meal 1 - 250g (approx - I split 500g packs and freeze and didn’t reweigh to check) 10% mince; 2 medium eggs plus a few onions.
Meal 2 - 200g smoked salmon with one leftover cold chicken wing in-between.
Meal 3 - was roughly 300g pork belly (again, taken from freezer and had been pre-split from a larger package).

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
3 weeks in.

Weight loss this week .4kg (2.7kg since starting). Energy Levels still good and no hunger thru the week if anything struggle to eat enough protein as feel very full.
Body contour scales are a little erratic with the odd day showing big swings. Will work on sorting but still trend to .8% fat loss and .6% muscle increase. PE Ratio has been around 1.3 thru the week.

Working hard to increase vegetables this coming week.

From a calorie perspective averaged 1700 this week

So far quite happy with the results but still taking a while to bed in variation in the diet and working with she who must be obeyed to try to incorporate into regular meals at home

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coming late to this thread but I am thinking of giving this a try- have bought the cook (Kindle - @Goonergal you were right about the cost of the paper version)

Will do some reading over the next little while. I lost a lot just going low carb but more to lose and it's being stubborn.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cooked my first ever whole, fresh fish today. Wild sea bass - PE ratio of 5.1. That nicely offsets the raspberries and cream eaten with it! Had a few off piste days while away, with nuts and dark chocolate creeping in, but now back on it.

EA3F92C5-EA6F-429A-8A8B-8A642893F269.jpeg

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
4 weeks in.

Weight loss this week .3kg (3kg since starting).

Still refining diet and conscious of upping vegetable and fibre content. Used a lot of Bakers Life 85% low carb and high protein bread and buns this week. Particularly like the buns. Also use Chobani Fit High Protein Low Carb Yogurt each morning and often as a desert in the evenings. Canned Tuna has been a regular as well as Mushrooms, Tomato, Spinach, Cauliflower, Broccoli,Zucchini, Peppers and Brussel Sprouts. Using a less eggs and cheese. My fail safe are BSC protein bars which are quite enjoyable and have a PE Ratio of 1.9

Body contour scales
Body fat down down 1,3% to 28.5%
Muscle up .6% to 36.5%

While I don't take measurements belt is tightened 1 notch over last two weeks (1 inch?)

PE Ratio has been around 1.3 over the week.

Calories averaged 1601 this week

Quite happy with results to date and will continue.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
5 weeks in.

Weight loss this week 1kg (4kg since starting). Fasting BG 7 day average 5.2

Finding the diet quite relaxing as only really needing to focus on protein not so much carbs and fat other than combined total. Also enjoying not having to go high fat as I have always struggled with it. Energy levels have been good and little hunger throughout the days

Body contour scales
Body fat down down to 28.1% (starting 29.8%)
Muscle up to 36.7% (starting 35.9%)

PE Ratio has been around 1.3 over the week.

Calories averaged 1538 this week

Quite happy with results to date and will continue.

Reactions: DJC3

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So I am still at the thinking stage about this- definitely interested and bought a good by Jen Urwin also recommended by @Goonergal .

Just a quick question about the P:E diet- and yes I know I could look it up but not today so if you don't get a chance to respond that's okay. How does coffee with cream and low carb alcohol fit on the P:E diet or don't they? I am becoming more and more convinced that this is something I need to try but not sure whether to start by weaning off other things. My first step I think is to lose artificial sweeteners. Not necessarily today but recently it's something I can envisage. If the other things (coffee with cream and low carb alcohol) are out maybe I should keep some artificial sweeteners so not giving up everything in one go.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How does coffee with cream and low carb alcohol fit on the P:E diet

As with anything I think you can adapt to suit. I’m still having tea with cream - usually once, sometimes twice a day. Don’t think it amounts to more than about 30mls of cream a day. Can’t comment on alcohol as I’ve been teetotal for years.

Personally I’ve just been following broad principles and eating more foods with a PE value higher than one and less of those with a lower value. And for me, just changing what you eat and keeping the alcohol/coffee, would still have benefits. Not sure whether @muzza3 or @Krystyna23040 include alcohol in their plans.

Think I could definitely do with stepping it up a notch, especially as I’ve fallen off the PE wagon a bit in the last couple of weeks - succumbed to a hot chocolate while away and that’s led to a few more ‘incidents’ involving nut butter, extra thick cream, 90% chocolate and yesterday a ‘proper’ magnum. Need to stop all that in its tracks.

@VashtiB interestingly Ted Naiman goes against the general ‘sweeteners are bad’ trend and the PE book includes meal examples which incorporate diet soda! He provided a link to this study in a Twitter post.

However, I am thinking about trying to get myself off Diet Coke as I’m having rather a lot of it. I did it once before, but it seems to have crept back in.

Let us know if you decide to join in.

And this is Ted Naiman’s website: https://burnfatnotsugar.com/

Reactions: DJC3

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That sounds good- I can absolutely give up alcohol but also artificial sweeteners and coffee with cream at the same time sounded challenging. Still need to get myself organised so won't be for at least a week- done the shopping for this week.

So I will let you know when I start- it's firmed into a when not if for me.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi @VashtiB

I agree with @Goonergal that you can adapt to suit. In my case I am looking at the Macros over a whole day and as I am wanting to lose weight I need the protein to exceed the total of Carbs and Fats. Following this so far has definitely worked.
I use artificial sweeteners in my coffee (Equal) as well as a tablespoon of skim milk. I have 3- 5 a day and count the macros for them. Only yesterday I had three glasses of red wine at a lunch with my family which also included a pub lunch. Knowing I was going to lunch I adjusted my breakfast and my dinner to get my Macros as balanced as possible. So I believe you can have your sweetener and Low Carb Alcohol and even your cream as long as you balance your protein. There are some cheats with protein bars and shakes that can assist but I try to limit them as much as possible. It is generally supposed to be a lower fat diet but one of the attractions for me is that I can adjust on the run.

I am certainly no expert here and after following this OP by @bulkbiker I liked the logic and then hit youtube and other sources to understand the principles and as it appealed (always struggled with high fat) decided to give it ago. I am ashamed to admit I haven't even purchased the book but have listened to 4 or 5 interviews.

It seems to be effective for me so far (5 weeks) and I am very comfortable with it but not really in a position to recommend it. FBG has improved slightly but were in good ranges before I started. Weight loss has been good and other than recording all macros (I use fitbit app and it is pretty easy but basic) I have found a lot more freedom in my overall diet

Hope this helps

Reactions: DJC3 and catinahat